Quantcast

Asians tell me they learn English through watching Friends - I watch shows in Spanish & I learn nada

Brenda Chenowith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,032 6,478 8,804
Alleybux
This is good but I would just like to make a note that the Spanish spoken by Spaniards is very different from Latino Spanish.
It’s probably best to learn from European spanish. It’s like if you want a drivers license, it’s best to test for manual over automatic. So you have access to both.

MsTreeRings

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
335 37 44
Alleybux
It’s probably best to learn from European spanish. It’s like if you want a drivers license, it’s best to test for manual over automatic. So you have access to both.

That depends on what you plan on doing. For example if you want to speak Spanish with local latinos or in Latin America it won't be very helpful as the accent and verbage is very different. If you want to use it for academic purposes or in Spain then that would be a good move.

Last edited:

SnipYoFlap

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,112 1,803 1,187
Alleybux
Learn Spanish by using Spanish su titles.
Start with children's programs.
There are a ton of YouTube channels you can watch for listening practice for beginners.
They talk slow so you can understand. Find someone who speaks the language to practice with. Get a language program.

I'm trying to learn Spanish myself.
But speaking it is when I clam up and my mind goes blank.

Lol

Brenda Chenowith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,032 6,478 8,804
Alleybux
im watching Vis a Vis - and idk what it means is it like this or that, but others say Vis a Vis in english is translated to Locked Up
Ooo nice. Loved that show. The final season was trash tho. How far are you into it? And what platform are you watching it on? With English or Spanish subtitles. That show actually helped me a lot with European spanish.
i wish i can just ask a colleague/classmate but its so intrusive to ask them to teach me for free (i don’t have any close spanish friends)

nyc language prices are expensive unless u try craigslist but no bueno

your right though

EDIT: I can try duo lingo again

What level are you on? I don’t think there’s is any point completing the entire duolingo tree. Once you are at intermiediate level, it’s time to make your own flash cards. Duolingo has a promise for fluency but the truth is it’s only for beginners.

kaybee

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
425 17 3
Alleybux
I just had a conversation with my Russian co-worker last week who told me he learned English by watching cartoons and kid shows. Another co worker from Colombia said he learned by watching tv too.

Brenda Chenowith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,032 6,478 8,804
Alleybux
That depends on what you plan on doing. For example if you want to speak Spanish with local latinos or in Latin America it won't be very helpful as the accent and verbage is very different. If you want to use it for academic purposes or in Spain then that would be a good move.

There isn’t anything latino spanish that isn’t in European spanish. So long as you don’t use vosotros form of a verb, there isn’t a reason why a local Latino shouldn’t understand you. Accents is a different conversation.

SupaSupaNova

Safelyup is a racist mexican troolll
Reaction score
Reactions
62,912 1,822 925
Alleybux
Lol they are lying

English is one of the HARDEST languages to learn. My current boss is from Argentina and she STILL has trouble with the english language and she has been here for 14 years.

Learning a language varies for everyone. Some people can learn a language in a year and some it takes 10+ years. Even with that being said, THE BEST way to learn a language fast and efficiently is to move to where they speak the language you want to learn. You'll learn quick how to navigate.

EDIT: The actual best way to learn a language is start young and keep up with it. However if youre an adult, the best way is to live in an environment where you have to learn it to live.
English I literally the easiest language to learn.

The moment you don’t have to learn if each word is feminine or masculine (some have neutral) a language becomes easier.

Your Argentinian boss started as an adult, let someone her age who is an English speaker learn to speak Spanish, they’ll struggle even more than she did

Original

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,431 2,936 3,792
Alleybux
Yo comprendo Espagnol, i puedo hablar un poqito, gracias telemundo and televisa presenta LOL

Spanish is not that hard

the secret to learning ANY language is trying to speak it, trying to form a question and give an answer to the same, observing and listening to those who already speak the language.

At one point I started watching Turkish tv-series(don't ask, I am a period drama junkie and I have seen most British and American ones, i needed fresh tv drama ) and I swear i don't need any translation when i watch them now! I am not brave to say i know the language, but i can follow what's going on in a tv series without any subs, you just start understanding. Same happened to me with Indian tv series, i started to remember so many words, but i stopped watching their dramas because they are really annoying lol.

FreshOrange

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
210,392 6,869 4,604
Alleybux
Ooo nice. Loved that show. The final season was trash tho. How far are you into it? And what platform are you watching it on? With English or Spanish subtitles. That show actually helped me a lot with European spanish.

What level are you on? I don’t think there’s is any point completing the entire duolingo tree. Once you are at intermiediate level, it’s time to make your own flash cards. Duolingo has a promise for fluency but the truth is it’s only for beginners.

i. an understand basics only.. like greetings and where stuff are

i watch in spanish with english subs im on season 1

Brenda Chenowith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,032 6,478 8,804
Alleybux
i. an understand basics only.. like greetings and where stuff are

i watch in spanish with english subs im on season 1
Continue with Duolingo lol. It will just go in one ear and out the others when you haven’t got all the basics.
I’ll advise you to read a novel/the news in Spanish, and don’t just listen to Spanish songs, learn them and the meaning of each lyric. And I will send you a secret app via DMs :sneaky:

I don’t have permission to dm you lol

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Some of yall really got a chip on your shoulder! English has been proven to be one of the hardest languages to learn. You can fight the data lol. English is a mostly germanic language with a few hiccups here and there.

Along with Mandarin, other Germanic languages and Arabic, English is up there as one of the hardest.

This information has nothing to do with being pro american ESPECIALLY since Britain also speaks English (proper). Soooooooo

The romantic languages like spanish, french, portugueses are easier to learn because once you learn one, it's easier to learn the others since they have so much in common although this is not true for everyone.

FreshOrange

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
210,392 6,869 4,604
Alleybux
I live in a french speaking province in english country.... so we have to take english classe from 1st grade until college, But if you’re not watching english tv shows/movies , video games or social media, you’ll still be fµck!ng sh!tty in english ... it its wayyy easier self-taught for anyone, and bilingual parents will speak to their children in the common language

See your English needs work. I wrote in the OP about Asians who used tv shows to learn English...

You have a whole mandatory English class since a small child. This is your foundation for learning English. Everything else such as social media/television are supplements. The supplements are not how you learned English; it helps you retain what you learned and enhance.

You don't understand my op and what I am asking.

MsTreeRings

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
335 37 44
Alleybux
There isn’t anything latino spanish that isn’t in European spanish. So long as you don’t use vosotros form of a verb, there isn’t a reason why a local Latino shouldn’t understand you. Accents is a different conversation.

Yes and no. They may understand, however there are words used in in spain that are not used in Latin America and vice versa. They often call the same objects by different names. Just take a look at their lexicons. Or better yet just ask latinos and they'll tell you that sometimes they don't understand certain words their latino counterparts use.

To say they aren't different would be like saying that Brittish English is the same as American English.

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Yes and no. They may understand, however there are words used in in spain that are not used in Latin America and vice versa. They often call the same objects by different names. Just take a look at their lexicons. Or better yet just ask latinos and they'll tell you that sometimes they don't understand certain words their latino counterparts use.

To say they aren't different would be like saying that Brittish English is the same as American English.
This is true. I've had 2 different spanish teachers. One from Mexico and the other from Costa Rica. They both taught spanish a whole lot differently. For example, my Mexican teacher didnt even bother to tell us about Vosotros because its not widely used in South America while my Costa Rican teacher taught us it because it was used where he was from and in Spain.

I also had a white teacher as a spanish teacher in college lol >_>

kimkibum

male promiscuity truther
Reaction score
Reactions
11,832 339 120
Alleybux
English language media being dominate =/= English is easy. Languages like Russian and Mandarin are harder but English still isn't a walk in the park.

Without a solid foundation of vocabulary and grammar, you're not going to make heads or tails of anything. Everyone wants to get around it but you need that foundation. I say you should still be practicing your listening skills straight from the beginning with TV, songs, etc but you're not going to know how to use the words you casually pick up, if you pick up anything at all.

You should also be using what you learn through formal study. First through writing, then through talking with native speakers. Keeping a journal is a nice way - just a few sentences in the beginning about your day or what you learned maybe. Then chatting - HelloTalk is nice bc you can change your settings by age and gender to avoid creeps. There are other apps and sites for exchange.

Also, read, read, read. It's my favorite way to learn personally, but even if it's not for you, it's a great way to pick up sentence structure, new words etc. With tablets and things nowadays, you can mark up word docs so easily.

Brenda Chenowith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,032 6,478 8,804
Alleybux

But you can learn British English and communicate with American English speakers in all contexts...
European spanish can be used as foundation to speak to Latinos, all that remains is to edit what you already know (vosotros form) and pick up some regional lingo here and there. Latino spanish can not be used as solid foundation to understand European spanish. Because once you go back to consuming Castillian media, you will feel blindsided once vosotros is used. That’s a whole different issue than not recognising a verb or noun because it’s exclusively used in Mexico.

Brenda Chenowith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,032 6,478 8,804
Alleybux
English language media being dominate =/= English is easy
Sis it’s easy for a variety of reasons.
No accents or diaeresis, no endless conjugations, the lowest syllable density in the western world so it’s spoken relatively slowly.
The only challenge with English is silent letters and arbitrary pronounciations, but when people speak and don’t abide by those rules, it mostly ends up in what is perceived as accent, not a grammar and miscommunication issue. In Spanish, mispronounciation can change the whole meaning of a statement.

lopquxn

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,217 221 186
Alleybux
See your English needs work. I wrote in the OP about Asians who used tv shows to learn English...

You have a whole mandatory English class since a small child. This is your foundation for learning English. Everything else such as social media/television are supplements. The supplements are not how you learned English; it helps you retain what you learned and enhance.

You don't understand my op and what I am asking.
Theres english class in asian countries .... in my city, even after elementary or high school there’s people that can even form a sentence in English, but those who spend their days playing video games are already on high school level in elementary....
So english class really does absolutely nothing. Social media/tv shows help way more than english class at school. You don’t understand since you only speak one language and probably got like 1 year of spanish in high school

AngieSoAmazing

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
588 13
Alleybux
I've heard many Mexicans say they learned English by watching soap operas.
I tried watching Telemundo but I just gave up. I guess it's like someone said. When you're learning as a hobby, it's not the same as learning out of desperation.

CubanBuggzBunny

Hypergamy, a women’s guide to self preservation
Reaction score
Reactions
121,683 4,442 2,611
Alleybux
Watching tv in Spanish with English subtitles help me learn English faster than any English class I took. English classes taught me the basic but it was TV that help me understand English and use it better.

lopquxn

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,217 221 186
Alleybux
Of course English is going to be easier if in probably every language, teens use english words no matter THEIR language, if america is the most popular entertainment industry in the world, if non-American kids sing english songs since they’re kids... maybe not easier in the technical sense or wtv but maybe use context to understand what im saying

MsTreeRings

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
335 37 44
Alleybux
But you can learn British English and communicate with American English speakers in all contexts...
European spanish can be used as foundation to speak to Latinos, all that remains is to edit what you already know (vosotros form) and pick up some regional lingo here and there. Latino spanish can not be used as solid foundation to understand European spanish. Because once you go back to consuming Castillian media, you will feel blindsided once vosotros is used. That’s a whole different issue than not recognising a verb or noun because it’s exclusively used in Mexico.

True, you've got a point there. I just mostly associate with latinos so Spaniard Spanish doesn't serve me much use.

FreshOrange

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
210,392 6,869 4,604
Alleybux
Theres english class in asian countries .... in my city, even after elementary or high school there’s people that can even form a sentence in English, but those who spend their days playing video games are already on high school level in elementary....
So english class really does absolutely nothing. Social media/tv shows help way more than english class at school. You don’t understand since you only speak one language and probably got like 1 year of spanish in high school

Wrong - you were emersed and introduced to English since you were tiny and regardless if it taught you anything, it is your foundation - it is what made everything else easier for you.

You're trying to say the exact same thing that I am saying with an erroneous twist or you don't understand English as well as you think.

It is a LIE. It is FALSE to say watching a television show taught you a language; if you spent the majority of your life trying (advertently/inadvertently) to learn that language.

The truth is that a combination of methods taught you the English language.

PERIOD.

lopquxn

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,217 221 186
Alleybux
Wrong - you were emersed and introduced to English since you were tiny and regardless if it taught you anything, it is your foundation - it is what made everything else easier for you.

You're trying to say the exact same thing that I am saying with an erroneous twist or you don't understand English as well as you think.

It is a LIE. It is FALSE to say watching a television show taught you a language; if you spent the majority of your life trying (advertently/inadvertently) to learn that language.

The truth is that a combination of methods taught you the English language.

PERIOD.
Who said i watched english tv shows ever since i was tiny?? Like i said, english class in school is useless!!! How many times do i have to tell you!!?? Lolll , when i was a teenager, i (and pretty much everyone) didn’t understand english at all ( EVEN THO WE ALLL HAD ENGLISH CLASS EVER SINCE WE WERE TINY ) but once you get on social media and watch english movies, you can literally learn everything that school has been trying to teach us for almost 10 years, in less than 1 YEAR ! This is not a personal case, multiple of my friends did the same thing and in saw A LOT of foreign people on Twitter once saying the SAME THING !! Im not a liar LMAO , maybe be a little bit more educated and try to learn another language... but you dont have to since English is the universal language i guess

FreshOrange

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
210,392 6,869 4,604
Alleybux
Who said i watched english tv shows ever since i was tiny?? Like i said, english class in school is useless!!! How many times do i have to tell you!!?? Lolll , when i was a teenager, i (and pretty much everyone) didn’t understand english at all ( EVEN THO WE ALLL HAD ENGLISH CLASS EVER SINCE WE WERE TINY ) but once you get on social media and watch english movies, you can literally learn everything that school has been trying to teach us for almost 10 years, in less than 1 YEAR ! This is not a personal case, multiple of my friends did the same thing and in saw A LOT of foreign people on Twitter once saying the SAME THING !! Im not a liar LMAO , maybe be a little bit more educated and try to learn another language... but you dont have to since English is the universal language i guess

you don’t understand english, because i did not write the bolded.

your comprehension needs work.

You were introduced and immersed in the english language from school since childhood. Regardless of whether you think it helped you or not, it did. It is your foundation.

Stop quoting me. Stop lying.

PrinceNelson

Eat your pancakes
Reaction score
Reactions
161,305 17,488 9,412
Alleybux
I'm learning german but I'm looking for a good german show that I can watch, I'm tired of those corny EXTRA tv sitcoms on youtube.

kimkibum

male promiscuity truther
Reaction score
Reactions
11,832 339 120
Alleybux
Sis it’s easy for a variety of reasons.
No accents or diaeresis, no endless conjugations, the lowest syllable density in the western world so it’s spoken relatively slowly.
The only challenge with English is silent letters and arbitrary pronounciations, but when people speak and don’t abide by those rules, it mostly ends up in what is perceived as accent, not a grammar and miscommunication issue. In Spanish, mispronounciation can change the whole meaning of a statement.

Stressing the wrong word in a sentence can change the meaning of a sentence, homophones can be very confusing, there are exceptions to every other grammar and spelling rule, there are endless phrasal verbs, synonyms aren't always cut and dry when in use, etc. I tutor ESL students off and on so I'm familiar with the difficulties English learners face. And also, someone whose mother tongue is Mandarin is going to have a harder time learning than someone whose mother tongue is German or Spanish. So it depends on where you're coming from, too.

Brenda Chenowith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,032 6,478 8,804
Alleybux
Stressing the wrong word in a sentence can change the meaning of a sentence, homophones can be very confusing, there are exceptions to every other grammar and spelling rule, there are endless phrasal verbs, synonyms aren't always cut and dry when in use, etc. I tutor ESL students off and on so I'm familiar with the difficulties English learners face. And also, someone whose mother tongue is Mandarin is going to have a harder time learning than someone whose mother tongue is German or Spanish. So it depends on where you're coming from, too.

Learning English from Spanish is definitely going to be easier than learning English from mandarin. But I still maintain that it’s easier to learn English from mandarin than visa versa because English is fundamentally easier.

What are some examples of stressing the wrong word can change the meaning of a sentence, unique to English?
I know there is the rising intonation. But that’s not very difficult, and it’s more of a cultural approach than a rule. Because Australians have rising intonation even when they aren’t asking questions.

kimkibum

male promiscuity truther
Reaction score
Reactions
11,832 339 120
Alleybux
Learning English from Spanish is definitely going to be easier than learning English from mandarin. But I still maintain that it’s easier to learn English from mandarin than visa versa because English is fundamentally easier.

What are some examples of stressing the wrong word can change the meaning of a sentence, unique to English?
I know there is the rising intonation. But that’s not very difficult, and it’s more of a cultural approach than a rule. Because Australians have rising intonation even when they aren’t asking questions.

It's probably not unique to English, but for example:

I did not read anything about the disaster. -> Implies you didn't read it, someone else did.
I did not read anything about the disaster. -> You didn't read it, you came by it another way.
I did not read anything about the disaster. -> You didn't read anything about it at all.
I did not read anything about the disaster. -> You didn't read about the disaster but about something else entirely.

Same with words. Words will sound wrong if the stress is pronounced incorrectly. If you pronounce dessert like you would desert, then you won't be talking about a pastry but about being abandoned or a landscape/climate depending on the context.

My Mandarin speaking students struggle a little with stress in words even though they're coming from a tonal language - just a pronunciation barrier and vocabulary confusion. I still say that native language will determine how "easy" English is to learn and the sheer amount of English language media only helps. Also depends on your goals - a lot of people want to be fluent. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

SkinnyB

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,587 75 132
Alleybux
you’re korean?

if so, is cheating on exams second nature by now or is lying that you study 23 hours a day?

tee hee
Half but Korean was first language growing up.
And what? I didn't think it was a cultural thing but it is second nature to me
giphy.gif

Brenda Chenowith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,032 6,478 8,804
Alleybux
It's probably not unique to English, but for example:
The idea of putting the most stress on words you want emphasize seems rather intuitive to me, and not difficult to me. But this again, is not actually rule in English, but down to regional preference. I’ll use your example to explain why
I did not read anything about the disaster. -> You didn't read it, you came by it another way.

In an Irish accent, read would be stressed naturally even though without the intention of emphasising it. Because intonation is a free for all in the English language, there aren’t really any set rules about lexical stress. And if you stress different words than the native population, it would just be percieved as a foreign accent.

If you pronounce dessert like you would desert, then you won't be talking about a pastry but about being abandoned or a landscape/climate depending on the context.

This is not problematic at all. The words may be spelled and sound similar, but the context in which they are used are completely different. So if you are at a restaurant and order desert with the latter pronounciation, the right message will still be communicated, you’ll just be seen as having an accent.
However in the case of spanish, let’s take the verb tomar for example. Which means to drink or take.
If you are at a dining table with friends, and someone asks, ‘hey, who stole my champagne?’
If you answered, tomo la champán, that would would mean ‘I took it’ and would be self incriminating. Tomó la champán (emphasise on the O) would mean ‘he/she took it’. The words are conjugated so similarly but without the understanding of the nuance between them, totally wrong information can be communicated. And on the flip side if you can’t detect the nuances between o and ó for the same verb, you will receive and interpret information in a way that’s conpletely incorrect.

Last edited:

Winterwonderland

Queen in training
Reaction score
Reactions
40,732 1,061 889
Alleybux
but i dont understand without subtitles its all garbles
And that is what will make you improve. A lot of people here don't believe it, but you can learn a language through t.v. You just have to learn to listen instead of mindlessly watching the show. By keeping the captions on, I find that my eyes will more than likely focus on the words rather than listen to the storyline.
Turn off the captions. Listen. Try and repeat what you just heard.
When you're out on the street, eavesdrop on a few spanish speaking folks to hear what they say. But don't repeat what they say out loud, just listen.
The more you do it, the more you'll get attuned to what is spoken.
But you can't stick to listening alone. You have to learn to speak it as well. I find that the more you speak the faster you learn because your brain will pick things up, and you will feel more comfortable building sentences.
Grab some children's (e)books in Spanish (start with picture books). Read them out loud. REPEAT WHAT YOU READ. Start a conversation, even if it's with yourself. Start with basic sentences (like greetings) and then answer your questions. Try and build questions using words you learned in the books (like "Que es esto -what is this? Es una silla -It's a chair"). Simple questions, simple answers. At some point you will feel more comfortable adding more words, thus building longer sentences (like "Que es esto, y que haces con el?" "Vas al supermerkado ahora o mas tarde o mañana?")
DuoLingo is also a great way to find a conversational partner. After that, it is great to take classes to learn grammatical rules. The fact that by then you already know the language will make things easier.

To make a long story short, yes, you can learn a language by watching t.v.. This is how I learned both English and Spanish, and it was the method I was using to learn conversational Chinese before I stopped due to lack of resources.
The more you do it, the faster you pick things up.

Good luck!

Wednesday A

Im Not Perky
Reaction score
Reactions
25,900 1,834 1,025
Alleybux
I learned Spanish by playing video games in Spanish. Think about how you learned your first language. It wasn’t through studying and classes. It was like watching a tv show without subtitles. You had to learn what different words meant by yourself. People say that learning a new language is harder as an adult. But its really not. It’s the way that we learn it thats difficult. As a child, you have no choice but absorb all of this new information and you were 100% immersed in the language. If you want to learn a new language you have to think like a kid. Immerse yourself into the language 100% first then work on your grammar later when you have a grasp on the language.