Quantcast

Avoiding Natural Hair Videos on YouTube is Helping My Hair Thrive

Yuzu

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
45,168 3,302 1,618
Alleybux
I first got into the natural hair movement all the way back in middle school. Then, videos were really chill and informational. No judgement, no excessive product advertising. No making natural hair out to be the most difficult burden when it truly isn’t.

Using these “grow your hair” videos as an example: It gets ridiculous at a certain point. Your hair grows from your scalp. Other than eating healthy, taking supplements, massaging your scalp, etc. how many tips do we need for growing natural hair? Rice water? Fiji Biji Berry extract from the mountains of the sacred Hobuju Island??

Funny how when I stopped obsessing over making sure my hair is “growing” and instead focused on actually enjoying my hair at its current state (texture, length and all), I already notice a big difference in the first 2 months of my major chop.

With my super simple routine my hair has retained all the length (along with having a natural sheen and being stronger) and because I don’t constantly manipulate my hair, oversaturate it with gels or do twist outs 24/7 I no longer have that tender sore spot in my crown area that I’ve had since forever.

I’ve completely removed any tips and natural hair advice from online on both YT and Instagram, and I listen to my own intuition and do what works for me. Has cutting off most/all of the natural hair videos and Instagram/Tiktok content helped anyone else?

twistedsista

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
321,935 6,400 2,710
Alleybux
Same, the moment I stopped trying every product, hair style, homemade recipe and tool my hair because so much easier to manage.

I think black hair is actually easier to maintain when you keep it simple.

Hot fries

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,231 1,022 72
Alleybux
I watch hair styling videos but I stopped looking for products and routines a long time ago. It all just seems like too much. I found a few products that I like and I stick with those

CinnamonLeaf

Dark and Lovely
Reaction score
Reactions
128,285 3,820 1,438
Alleybux
Same, keeping it simple really help my peace of mind.

I wash it, conditioner, put product in it and braid it.

That's it and my hair's waist length.

TGSHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,126 2,641 2,419
Alleybux
These youtube heauxs do wayyyy to merch! Using all these products! Then eventually their mane look tore tf up and their hair falling out then they have to big chop over and over!
Most of these are smoke and mirrors! Be adding fake hair and finessing it so it can appear thicker or longer!

ifsheonlyknew

Cowboy Carter
Reaction score
Reactions
248,509 18,167 2,705
Alleybux
I stopped using gel in my hair last year and my hair has grown like 3 inches. It really is the best to stop listening to these natural hair ppl on YouTube.

LaIndigo

Learning to love moments for themselves.
Reaction score
Reactions
45,309 615 73
Alleybux
Overmanipulation can make things worse.

I will watch videos to see if I can find reviews for new products I want to try. Or if there is a bw I want to support. But I am not really watching them that much anymore.

CinnamonLeaf

Dark and Lovely
Reaction score
Reactions
128,285 3,820 1,438
Alleybux
Why is it that every time I post about having long hair there's always someone who gives me a skeptical on my post. I just want to inform you that the year is 2021 we have debunked the myth that black women cannot grow long hair a long time ago.

redleon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,054 580 72
Alleybux
Why is it that every time I post about having long hair there's always someone who gives me a skeptical on my post. I just want to inform you that the year is 2021 we have debunked the myth that black women cannot grow long hair a long time ago.
Keep in mind that in 2021, there are some black people around who still think that black women can't grow their hair and are skeptical when they hear/see a black woman having long natural hair.

Mavis Gary

Young Adult
Reaction score
Reactions
69,360 1,698 714
Alleybux
I feel like there is a growing movement of simplification and listening to the hair experts instead of self taught YouTube gurus. These folk were doing healthy hair back in the 90s with just a shampoo, conditioner, and light leave ins with no problem.

Barb E Cue

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,371 172 17
Alleybux
I still watch natural hair videos because they’re relaxing for me but I don’t take any tips lol. Curl envy and loc envy almost get me.

greyblue

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,421 140 6
Alleybux
Yeah I stopped listening to them awhile ago because these 24 hour long hair routines that include not washing hair often and piling on homemade food "products" became too much for me. I like things simple. Plus most of them get paid to make their videos and say every product works for them.

missmisha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
170,268 7,763 5,725
Alleybux
I first got into the natural hair movement all the way back in middle school. Then, videos were really chill and informational. No judgement, no excessive product advertising. No making natural hair out to be the most difficult burden when it truly isn’t.

Using these “grow your hair” videos as an example: It gets ridiculous at a certain point. Your hair grows from your scalp. Other than eating healthy, taking supplements, massaging your scalp, etc. how many tips do we need for growing natural hair? Rice water? Fiji Biji Berry extract from the mountains of the sacred Hobuju Island??

Funny how when I stopped obsessing over making sure my hair is “growing” and instead focused on actually enjoying my hair at its current state (texture, length and all), I already notice a big difference in the first 2 months of my major chop.

With my super simple routine my hair has retained all the length (along with having a natural sheen and being stronger) and because I don’t constantly manipulate my hair, oversaturate it with gels or do twist outs 24/7 I no longer have that tender sore spot in my crown area that I’ve had since forever.

I’ve completely removed any tips and natural hair advice from online on both YT and Instagram, and I listen to my own intuition and do what works for me. Has cutting off most/all of the natural hair videos and Instagram/Tiktok content helped anyone else?

The diy hair product videos using food items irk my fµck!ng soul, like girl just go buy some conditioner….

kimGA

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,611 19 11
Alleybux

How often do you wash your hair?
What products do you use after you wash your hair?

Do you deep condition it? If so, how often?

Leiyali

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,640 298 158
Alleybux
I wash my hair 2-3 times a week now and detangle with a fine tooth comb. 2 things they say you're not supposed to do. My hair is past arm pit length now which is the longest it's ever been.

I just detangle with water and cocoa tree by qhemet (and since i wash it so much i barely have to detangle), use joico kpak shampoo/conditioner, then kpak leave in with another qhemet moisturizing leave in.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,518 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
I never really listened to what anyone said to do to my hair. I did try a few things ... I did stick with the derma roller and that does work, but I only do it once a week on wash day so it's pretty low maintenance.

UniquelyGemini

Established
Reaction score
Reactions
141,783 6,198 1,771
Alleybux
I don’t do videos anymore but I have started reading and researching again and it all inspires me to get back on top of my game. I’m now back doing Ayurvedic practices and looking forward to fast growing strong thick hair. When I Bc’d it’s all I did and my hair grew so fast and was so shiny dark and defined.

I thought I was safe letting people braid my hair but the last person that braided my hair caused major breakage and I didn’t realize until the second time and the worst breakage occurred. I’m at the point now where I can’t trust anyone to do
My hair not even braids damn. I’m used to braids messing my edges but not breakage all throughout. I wish I could go punch that stupid b!tch In her face cause her hating ass probably did it on purpose like they usually do.

LionessR

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,674 918 242
Alleybux
My hair thrived when I was on the hair boards before YouTube got big. I think it’s because it was a conversation instead of everyone following one person. I used read pages of women trying something, having it work/not work and then discussing with others.

I stopped watching YT hair because one person doing what works for their hair has little to do with me.

IndieDoll

• Spiritual Being •
Reaction score
Reactions
1,663 31 25
Alleybux
I follow a couple of natural hair gurus on Instagram, for styling ideas and tips. But my hair care regimen is pretty much self taught.
I haven't used heat on my hair in 3 years. I shampoo and condition once a week. My hair is long again, and now it's getting thicker.
I will continue to follow my intuition regarding my hair.

ZeeZeeblue

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
350,350 16,547 14,652
Alleybux
I never understood how a lot of the woman on YouTube had time for all of that stuff.
I've been short & natural for YEARS. I always keep it simple.

Wash.
Air dry.
Moisturize.
Out the door!

Ataraxic

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
131,780 3,639 1,430
Alleybux
I don’t do videos anymore but I have started reading and researching again and it all inspires me to get back on top of my game. I’m now back doing Ayurvedic practices and looking forward to fast growing strong thick hair. When I Bc’d it’s all I did and my hair grew so fast and was so shiny dark and defined.

I thought I was safe letting people braid my hair but the last person that braided my hair caused major breakage and I didn’t realize until the second time and the worst breakage occurred. I’m at the point now where I can’t trust anyone to do
My hair not even braids damn. I’m used to braids messing my edges but not breakage all throughout. I wish I could go punch that stupid b!tch In her face cause her hating ass probably did it on purpose like they usually do.
It could have been the braid hair as well. They put so many chemicals on it!!

The last time I got braids, I ended up having an allergic reaction to the hair. Small bumps around the nape and crazy itching throughout and my scalp was inflamed. I did an ACV rinse and was able to manage for about 3 weeks, but had to take it out.

I started watching vids on soaking/cleansing the hair before use and was disgusted. This thick film floats to the top.

Zuri Arie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,078 3,241 688
Alleybux

The last time I got braids, I ended up having an allergic reaction to the hair. Small bumps around the nape and crazy itching throughout and my scalp was inflamed. I did an ACV rinse and was able to manage for about 3 weeks, but had to take it out.

I started watching vids on soaking/cleansing the hair before use and was disgusted. This thick film floats to the top.

same that happened to me several times before

WorkInProgress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
440,977 8,506 2,734
Alleybux
Yup I basically do what my mama did when I was younger. It works and my hair is still thriving. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Zuri Arie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,078 3,241 688
Alleybux
People need to stop listening to these youtube gurus and find what works for their hair. These chicks are being paid to do all that sh!t to their hair. I was never a product junky and I also don’t try all these stupid regimens. I have long, thick hair because I keep it simple.

Chibiusa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,564 3,243 210
Alleybux
I still watch them for fun, or support...maybe even seek out product reviews on something I'm already interested in (If 10 out of 10 say it's trash, it usually is)

But I go in also knowing their hair is not my hair, even if we share a similar curl pattern and porosity...what works for them may not work for me. I can't deny they helped my regiment in terms of staples in the beginning of my hair journey, but I REFUSE to always chase that high of buying a "NEED TO HAVE" new product you see them use in a sponsored video and then not touch again.

And as always, simple is best. You can't beat wash, Condition (I deep condition once a week) style, leaving it alone.

Zuri Arie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,078 3,241 688
Alleybux
Everyone asks for my regimen, I do not have one just washing my hair, moisturizing it, don’t wear protective styles often(maybe twice a year), don’t slap a bunch of gel in my hair, etc. I just took out some passion twists that were super tight and I had sores all in my scalp. I do not play when it comes to my hair.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,643 287 285
Alleybux
I never got into the hairstyle/ trying crazy hair regimes with my hair. I let sis do her own thing for the most part. I wash when it feels dirty and I use the same 3 products that I've been using for like 2 years. I'm happy with my hair, i always figured genetics will genetic.

UniquelyGemini

Established
Reaction score
Reactions
141,783 6,198 1,771
Alleybux

They use a brand I have never seen before and must be only available in their country. I’m sure someone sends it to them, it was really nice hair I actually didn’t get the itching and irritation I normally do get with braiding hair. The second time I did get bumps and some itching in the back, from being too tight I’d think. But around each braid I had broken off hair. When I took the braids out they had been twisted up. You know when you braid hair in you braid it downwards. My break hair was twisted up and sitting outwards. It hurt when they were braiding it too more than the first time. So idk I think they did that mess on purpose cause it doesn’t make sense to braid in that manner and if that’s the way they braid it causes breakage, I’ve never ever ever had breakage on each braid. Around each braid my hair broke off. I thought it was cause I skate and I sweat and maybe that caused it but idk. The way it was braided I think caused the damage and I’m freaking pissed. My hair was actually looking good before they touched it cause I had a baby last year and was coming off of that full hair. I had lost some thickness but didn’t have the breakage.

rebelle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,685 72 57
Alleybux
I watch for fun, but most of them I skip. I'm not buying another product, in fact my leave-in and conditioner (I add things to it at that) are my only store brought products right now.

I stick to the tubers who have similar hair goals and believe in affordable regimens.

Kronicka

Team ****
Reaction score
Reactions
42,250 1,267 446
Alleybux
Exactly where I’m at with it. I tried coconut oil in my hair based off this being a “holy grail” product of natural hair YouTube and my hair felt like hay afterwards and began to snap and break. Now that I know that I have protein sensitive hair, I no longer bother with these broads because they don't even know enough about hair types to even be advising somebody on what to do with their hair.

Just A Princess

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
92,490 2,231 474
Alleybux
Coconut oil shea butter and castor oil don't seem to be my friends, so by default the main trends were not for me. I watched to get understanding on my hair type, fine, and porosity, high, and from there created a simple routine that works for me.

I do have a question, is a mask the same as a deep conditioner?

AnnDee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,410 675 249
Alleybux
I watch YouTube natural hair videos a lot. The thing is I have always mostly watched for entertainment. I will even watch for things I have no intentions of ever doing or products I wouldn’t put in my hair because I like seeing the results. Or if I’m interested in a product for example that As I Am hair color cream, I will do a search for it to see if it flakes on most.

But I’m not on any kind of length journey and I know my hair pretty well. Also as another font said, I started out on hair forums where topics were created followed by group discussion that went back and forth. I didn’t start to watch YouTube until years later. With YouTube is mostly one way communication. I remember when people started talking porosity on YouTube it had already been in board discussions for years. Same for talking about having issues with coconut oil. Many people act like were no one had a problem with coconut oil until Naptural85 said she did but lots of people said it in the discussion boards. But people who only watched videos made by people who love CO got the idea everyone’s hair loved it. And the comment section on YouTube isn’t really set up for group discussions

2phat

Pro BW
Reaction score
Reactions
117,592 5,996 4,739
Alleybux
I maybe watched one or two “how to grow” videos and I can just tell when a chick’s hair just grows fast no matter what she does. They usually had hair down their back when relaxed. Since the beginning I pretty much only f*cked with Whitney and then NappyFu/Grace. Now I only watch Grace and that’s occasionally.

I want to stick to salons and braids for the most part, until my hair is longer…

Mitsukuni

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,954 624 144
Alleybux
I stopped putting a lot of stock into YouTube videos because
1) sponsorships and money tainting reviews

2) it seemed like most natural hair you tubers are low porosity - no help to me as a natural (no dye, bleach,etc) high porosity natural

3) all their routines seemed time consuming and tedious - i have sh!t to do and raking a sh!t ton of gel and waiting 4 hours for it to dry ain’t one of them.

4) I found out my hair is fickle af with products/ingredients

Now I have a consistent stable of products with a consistent price range. I know what my hair and scalp needs and when it needs it. Im good.

Danni Archer

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,822 1,512 957
Alleybux
yeah. Keep it simple. Shampoo, condition, one product for styling and wash your hair at least 1x a week. No need for 80 products and stop with the oils and butters!

Yuzu

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
45,168 3,302 1,618
Alleybux
How often do you wash your hair?
What products do you use after you wash your hair?

Do you deep condition it? If so, how often?
I co-wash about once a week and a half-ish, and I shampoo every 2 weeks. But my hair gets wet everyday, I’ll often massage my scalp. I never wear a shower cap in the shower since my hair is short and I always wear wash-and-go’s anyways.

I also deep condition right after I shampoo.

kimGA

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,611 19 11
Alleybux
I co-wash about once a week and a half-ish, and I shampoo every 2 weeks. But my hair gets wet everyday, I’ll often massage my scalp. I never wear a shower cap in the shower since my hair is short and I always wear wash-and-go’s anyways.

I also deep condition right after I shampoo.
Thank you so much for the info!

what product do you use to co-wash your hair?

News Alley

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom