Quantcast

Awkward blk girl Jay/Issa character similarities

Dear Lana...

On My Honeymoon...
Reaction score
Reactions
167,054 4,392 3,181
Alleybux
I’ve been binging some Awkward Black Girl on and off and yesterday watched the episode where Jay was starting to like White J and her best friend Cici was waiting for her to come to the Halloween party and counting on Issa/Jay. At the last minute Issa backs out on her bestfriend because she is enjoying the yt dude while trick or treating. Cici was so disappointed.

White J and Jay/Issa end up running into his hot ex and he can’t even recall Issa’s name (despite them having the same name :rolleyes2) because he is so enamored by his ex.

Of course in typical Issa fashion she suddenly is so sorry a few days later and is begging Cici for forgiveness with donuts and corney raps to get back in her good graces. Cici finally talks to her and they carry on.

around 03:37 mark

Then I was watching the one where they get a new supervisor when the crazy yt lady decides she wants to get her groove back and leave the company.

Cici is targeted by the new manager and offered a complete state transfer or to be demoted. Issa is obsessing over Fred’s WHACK ASS and white J and doesn’t even support her best friend but only calls when she wants to rant about these men. She doesn’t even remember that Cici teaches (that word is used lightly lol) hip hop dance class part time and interrupts her to whine. Never mind this girl just suffered a pay cut and demotion.

don’t know how to timestamp but around 08:50

It was so interesting seeing Issa portray Jay this way and now seeing how Issa’s character uses people on Insecure. I’m fuzzy on past seasons but know that Molly went all out to surprise Issa for her last birthday, but what has she ever done for Molly? I could just be forgetting though.

If y’all have watched or never watched ABG and want to I think it’s a fun discussion to have to compare the show. There could be a thread somewhere already because I do remember mentioning before how I liked that she had a black BFF on insecure instead of other like on ABG because it was able to capture our culture more... Especially the LA scene.

But anywho, what do y’all think? I just love both shows so much and have to watch ABG when I’m having withdrawals lol

stillagoodgirl

Abstinence makes his heart grow fonder.
Reaction score
Reactions
11,316 298 79
Alleybux
Some of their characters are similar and some of the actors have made appearances but had a different role or name. I thought Insecure was a continuation of ABG at first.

MSpencer

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
153,553 1,032 173
Alleybux
I feel the only similarities are the mirror raps and her work issues. I haven’t seen the new season yet tho.

CCMe2004

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,986 877 702
Alleybux
I’ve been binging some Awkward Black Girl on and off and yesterday watched the episode where Jay was starting to like White J and her best friend Cici was waiting for her to come to the Halloween party and counting on Issa/Jay. At the last minute Issa backs out on her bestfriend because she is enjoying the yt dude while trick or treating. Cici was so disappointed.

White J and Jay/Issa end up running into his hot ex and he can’t even recall Issa’s name (despite them having the same name :rolleyes2) because he is so enamored by his ex.

Of course in typical Issa fashion she suddenly is so sorry a few days later and is begging Cici for forgiveness with donuts and corney raps to get back in her good graces. Cici finally talks to her and they carry on.

around 03:37 mark

Then I was watching the one where they get a new supervisor when the crazy yt lady decides she wants to get her groove back and leave the company.

Cici is targeted by the new manager and offered a complete state transfer or to be demoted. Issa is obsessing over Fred’s WHACK ASS and white J and doesn’t even support her best friend but only calls when she wants to rant about these men. She doesn’t even remember that Cici teaches (that word is used lightly lol) hip hop dance class part time and interrupts her to whine. Never mind this girl just suffered a pay cut and demotion.

don’t know how to timestamp but around 08:50

It was so interesting seeing Issa portray Jay this way and now seeing how Issa’s character uses people on Insecure. I’m fuzzy on past seasons but know that Molly went all out to surprise Issa for her last birthday, but what has she ever done for Molly? I could just be forgetting though.

If y’all have watched or never watched ABG and want to I think it’s a fun discussion to have to compare the show. There could be a thread somewhere already because I do remember mentioning before how I liked that she had a black BFF on insecure instead of other like on ABG because it was able to capture our culture more... Especially the LA scene.

But anywho, what do y’all think? I just love both shows so much and have to watch ABG when I’m having withdrawals lol

I've always thought that Insecure was ABG realized with a full premium channel budget, focus, and better actors. The premise is similar. I do feel there is more adulting and growth within Insecure.

Dimpz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
146,635 3,511 1,075
Alleybux
Now that you’ve broken it down, I see the similarities op.
It’s interesting though that Issa Rae would write two character who are extremely self-serving based on herself.

AmusedByIdiocy

Sense and Sensibility
Reaction score
Reactions
222,179 7,126 2,872
Alleybux
Yuuuuuup. This is a great comparison.

Both characters are very self-serving, but we’re supposed to identify because they’re cute and awkward and throw up doe eyes. Nah...

That call that Issa made to Molly to ask for something again and starts by saying she called to talk and Molly exhales, smiles, and starts to share before Issa totally shuts her down to talk about herself is blatant.

Also, this last episode when she reaches out to Kelli and to her brother it’s to ask for advice about helping Nathan. Nah. She’s selfish.

Shikorina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,644 1,522 996
Alleybux
The self-serving, self-obsessed, narcissistic protagonist is so common. I don't know why Hollywood relies so heavily on this tired trope to tell stories about relationships. Not to say that it isn't a common experience for many of us. I'm sure we've all met these types of people over and over in our lives. And in a lot of these stories, the supporting cast centers the protagonist's life in most of the interactions and his or her narcissism is overlooked. The narcissism is almost cast as a quirky thing just like with Issa - underneath all that cutesy put upon charm lies a casual disdain for others, perhaps?

I guess Issa when making ABG may have been following this same formula. There's def a formula in television making, and maybe that's why she was able to get on HBO. Her storytelling conforms to the mainstream model. I watched ABG so long ago that I can't recall so I'm going off of OP's thoughtful review.

And it does seem like Insecure is just a continuation of ABG. I feel like Issa centers men more in her life. Just like J in ABG, apparently. And again, this is sadly true in real life. Too often romantic relationships take precedence over female friendships. And the friendship is used as a place to vent about the romantic relationship AND to prop it up. With situationships and emotionally unavailable men especially, women don't get the reassurance or validation they seek from the men so they demand that emotional labor from their female friendships. Which is why Issa was all but done with Molly until a dilemma involving her romantic entanglements arose and then all of a sudden she had an urge to reconnect with Molly. [It's interesting that her brother (male) does not participate in that ritual. And of course distant friends (Kelly) are not available at our beck and call.] But she doesn't even show any curiosity in how Molly's feeling and why Molly might be upset with her etc. No. She instead does her little cutesy, doe-eyed act and wants to rush Molly back into accepting her frantic calls about whatever bµllsh!t man problems she's created for herself.

And I guess one can argue that Issa is only showing what's true among many, many female friendships in America.

Last edited:

AmusedByIdiocy

Sense and Sensibility
Reaction score
Reactions
222,179 7,126 2,872
Alleybux
The self-serving, self-obsessed, narcissistic protagonist is so common. I don't know why Hollywood relies so heavily on this tired trope to tell stories about relationships. Not to say that it isn't a common experience for many of us. I'm sure we've all met these types of people over and over in our lives. And in a lot of these stories, the supporting cast centers the protagonist's life in most of the interactions and his or her narcissism is overlooked. The narcissism is almost cast as a quirky thing just like with Issa - underneath all that cutesy put upon charm lies a casual disdain for others, perhaps?

I guess Issa when making ABG may have been following this same formula. There's def a formula in television making, and maybe that's why she was able to get on HBO. Her storytelling conforms to the mainstream model. I watched ABG so long ago that I can't recall so I'm going off of OP's thoughtful review.

And it does seem like Insecure is just a continuation of ABG. I feel like Issa centers men more in her life. Just like J in ABG, apparently. And again, this is sadly true in real life. Too often romantic relationships take precedence over female friendships. And the friendship is used as a place to vent about the romantic relationship AND to prop it up. With situationships and emotionally unavailable men especially, women don't get the reassurance or validation they seek from the men so they demand that emotional labor from their female friendships. Which is why Issa was all but done with Molly until a dilemma involving her romantic entanglements arose and then all of a sudden she had an urge to reconnect with Molly. [It's interesting that her brother (male) does not participate in that ritual. And of course distant friends (Kelly) are not available at our beck and call.] But she doesn't even show any curiosity in how Molly's feeling and why Molly might be upset with her etc. No. She instead does her little cutesy, doe-eyed act and wants to rush Molly back into accepting her frantic calls about whatever bµllsh!t man problems she's created for herself.

And I guess one can argue that Issa is only showing what's true among many, many female friendships in America.

Being self-focused helps the viewers relate to the protagonist because everyone feels like they’re the hero/heroine of their own stories.

But self-centred, selfish, and narcissistic characters are disturbing. And I agree they’re all the rage. It’s scary that people identify so closely with that kind of character, though. Extremely.

In both ABG and Insecure, Jay/Issa were and are willing to treat everyone like a side kick and support cast. That’s quirky for people who aren’t looking too hard. But it’s offensive for those with more emotional perception.

While I’ve not always liked Molly in certain moments, I have always watched since season 1 just how much she’s shown up for Issa and I’ve been waiting to see the exchange and reciprocal support as a friend.

Except Issa has always lived in her la la land where everything is about her.

Kmissa

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,606 302 82
Alleybux
Being self-focused helps the viewers relate to the protagonist because everyone feels like they’re the hero/heroine of their own stories.

But self-centred, selfish, and narcissistic characters are disturbing. And I agree they’re all the rage. It’s scary that people identify so closely with that kind of character, though. Extremely.

In both ABG and Insecure, Jay/Issa were and are willing to treat everyone like a side kick and support cast. That’s quirky for people who aren’t looking too hard. But it’s offensive for those with more emotional perception.

While I’ve not always liked Molly in certain moments, I have always watched since season 1 just how much she’s shown up for Issa and I’ve been waiting to see the exchange and reciprocal support as a friend.

Except Issa has always lived in her la la land where everything is about her.

It’s scary how many ppl don’t see how sh!tty of a friend Issa is. The one time she could’ve shown up for Molly’s dinner she didn’t. Issa even admitted she owed her like “10 years worth of brunches”. How is that acceptable?

I have to rewatch the episode after the block party bc for all the build up, if Issa felt her block party was “ruined” like everyone says, why wouldn’t she be demanding an apology? She knows the “user” comment is true.