Quantcast

Baby girl recovering from serious burns after she fell into her family’s fire pit

Pink Whitney

*Life is prettier in pink*
Reaction score
Reactions
14,624 12,303 34
Alleybux
A baby girl from Statesville is recovering after getting second degree burns in the backyard of her home.

Family members say 8-month-old Thea Lyon accidentally fell into a fire pit while she was in her walker Wednesday night. Thea’s hands and the side of her body were burned in the incident.

Her father was just feet away when it happened and tried to pull her away from danger.

Firefighters said they got a call about the baby being seriously hurt and she was rushed to Brenner Children’s Hospital in Winston-Salem.

Joshua Lyon showed Channel 9 the fire pit and the walker his daughter was in when he says she accidentally fell into a fire pit in their backyard. Lyon says he was just feet away and he ran over to pull her from the hot ashes. He said they had made a fire the night before.

f7397a944ee084f877c0e1e99c40412f

“We were hanging out. The kids were playing,” he said. “I was about to unload wood and stack wood up once I got all the kids settled in, and it just happened.”

Charlene Lyon shared photos of her daughter with Channel 9. Family members also posted pictures of her injuries on a GoFundMe but they are too graphic to show.

Lyon says she was at work at the time and her husband was watching their three children, who are all under the age of five.

“All I wanted to do was hold her but I couldn’t with all the burns all over her,” Charlene Lyon said.

The family is thanking the community for its support. With Memorial Day weekend only a week away, they hope by sharing what happened, they can prevent another child from being hurt.

“Please just put out your fire. It don’t matter if the coals are still sitting in there,” Charlene Lyon said. “They’re still really hot and still can really hurt.”

“Accidents can happen. But if you can prevent it, prevent it anyway,” Joshua Lyon said.

Police told Channel 9 that the investigation is being handled by firefighters in Statesville.

Link to GFM- Pic is a bit graphic Baby Thea and Family Needs Your Help, organized by Charlena Lyons

xFillyPhishx

The Black Woman Is Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
71,986 3,354 763
Alleybux
What a dumbass irresponsible father. Accident? No this was pure negligence. Why would he think leaving a baby in a walker close to a fire pit was a good idea? And then, he turns his back on her and says oops!!

Poor baby. I hope she recovers okay

mesmerize

PRINCESS SUSSEX
Reaction score
Reactions
94,673 7,733 5,638
Alleybux
Terrible accident. I understand what he is saying- they had a fire the night before and he did t realize it was still hot. He still should have made sure she didn’t fall into the hole. Poor baby.

Last edited:

krikzil

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,852 2,048 2,097
Alleybux
She’s incredibly fortunate it was only second degree. I knew a kid who tripped and fell into a fire pit that had been used the night before (we were “camping” in the backyard) and he got a third degree burn on his arm.

Shipoopi

...the Girl who's hard to get.
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
24,859 2,640 2,393
Alleybux
This is why moms don't like leaving their kids with their dads. She FELL into a FIRE PIT. That sh!t is always 100% avoidable. Wtf.

mesmerize

PRINCESS SUSSEX
Reaction score
Reactions
94,673 7,733 5,638
Alleybux
Even if the fire was out all the way, it seems like just falling into a hole was a big enough danger for him to pay more attention. Especially if they have other kids- he’s not a first time parent and he should know better. Kids move fast. That’s how they fall down flights of stairs in their walkers and dumb ass adults are acting confused.

This is why moms don't like leaving their kids with their dads. She FELL into a FIRE PIT. That sh!t is always 100% avoidable. Wtf.

Menina25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,363 10,021 65
Alleybux
I hope she's okay and doesn't have lasting injuries but the father is dumb for putting a child anywhere near a fie put even if he thought the fire was all the way out. when babies are at the age where they are walking/crawling/using walkers they need to be extra careful with making sure they don't fall into something

RuthyB

Resident Recluse
Reaction score
Reactions
10,337 229 33
Alleybux
I watched this on my local news and I thought the father sounded way too nonchalant about it. What a dumbass. I'd never trust him again after that.

Puddinpop79bell

Sassy Bee
Reaction score
Reactions
26,234 573 193
Alleybux
I watched this on my local news and I thought the father sounded way too nonchalant about it. What a dumbass. I'd never trust him again after that.
I got the same vibe. Now maybe that was a facade and he was really upset, but he better hope that interview never gets used against him if someone decides to charge him.

mesmerize

PRINCESS SUSSEX
Reaction score
Reactions
94,673 7,733 5,638
Alleybux
This is true. I have a nine year old and I think they had already stopped selling them widely. When she was little, just one reputable brand was still making a version but most had moved to stationary play stations where they could bounce and station their legs without the danger of zooming around. By the time my second daughter was born they were off the market, but you can always buy junk or get old baby stuff from family members so I don’t l ow where he got this.

This is why walkers are unsafe and should be recalled. You can’t even buy a walker in Canada.

mesmerize

PRINCESS SUSSEX
Reaction score
Reactions
94,673 7,733 5,638
Alleybux
Wow. I assumed he would be near suicidal after some sh!t like this.

NOEFinest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
176,580 6,088 3,406
Alleybux
This is true. I have a nine year old and I think they had already stopped selling them widely. When she was little, just one reputable brand was still making a version but most had moved to stationary play stations where they could bounce and station their legs without the danger of zooming around. By the time my second daughter was born they were off the market, but you can always buy junk or get old baby stuff from family members so I don’t l ow where he got this.
I think it’s illegal to sell them even second hand in Canada. His looks old, I’m assuming they are in the states and he probably got it from a family member that’s been passing it down for years.

NOEFinest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
176,580 6,088 3,406
Alleybux
Really?? What do they use?
And I don't have kids, so I am def out of the loop.
There is no need for walkers. They don’t help with the development of walking.
They slow down development

The explanation is this: babies get to walk by observing and understanding how their feet and legs move. But the trays of the walkers block their vision. Also, it can develop unusual movement patterns and delay muscles control because it allows them to walk before their muscles are ready.