Quantcast

Bahamian moms try each other’s macaroni

Belle14

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,616 773 161
Alleybux
Same thing as Caribbean households then lol because we eat all those sides with our main dishes and bake mac and cheese is a must.

Bahamas is no different in that sense.

Except The Bahamas is the only place I have had peas and rice in actuality - every other island calls it peas and rice or rice and peas but effectively serve you rice with kidney beans or lima beans or black beans. In The Bahamas it is actually pigeon peas cooked in the rice.

Last edited:

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
Most BLACK Americans bake their macaroni and cheese. I was a judge at a cook-off at an old job (I am crazy, I know) and only one white person made baked Mac n cheese, and I’m pretty sure it was a stouffers. The rest was made on the stove...and nasty

A lot of white people do bake theirs (most that I know), but they don’t use binders like eggs, etc. so it comes out looking like Stouffer’s or Marie Callender’s. Then they put bread crumbs, Cheeze-Its, etc. on top.

I tried Kris Jenner’s baked macaroni recipe (don’t judge me) after watching her do a cook off with John Legend and that sh!t came out of the oven tasting like that Velveeta macaroni in the box, same consistency and all. I was so confused. I just couldn’t understand how something made from scratch with so many ingredients and steps could come out tasting like it came out of a box.

sh!t came out looking like this (which was bad enough);
48F36F47-1016-473E-8967-106A402949BF.jpeg

and tasting like this;
450.jpg

Last edited:

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
No cap but yall food is kinda bland compared to ours still way better than white peoples food though.I worked in 2 soul food restaurants and tasted many dishs and can say yall dont use as much seasonings as us. But there are some AA's that do like people from Louisiana,Texas and newer some generations of AA I see that are using some of the seasonings like we do to make traditional AA dishes down in Florida.

Really? I would make the opposite argument, especially when it comes to macaroni. I typically find that if Caribbean food to be either on par with or under seasoned when compared to Black American food. I’m definitely more likely to need salt in a Caribbean restaurant than a Soul Food spot. I still have never had a Caribbean dish I didn’t like, save for anything with goat in it.

Maybe the issue is that we’re both eating each other’s respective foods in restaurants.

Last edited:

Diva Hilary

Life is beautiful!
Reaction score
Reactions
79,591 8,651 10,090
Alleybux
I can't stand Dez. The one with the short blonde hair. The Bahamian girl who did these videos had her in some others and she was always acting stank and downgrading the others food even when all the ladies voted them high. Come to find her sh!t wasn't that good.

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
I don't like how some black folks across the diaspora shade African American soul food.

Some of you are so quick to rush in here and say you would never try our soul food dishes.
but yet they be the first ones to try to claim ADOS reparations >_>

desi

Slowly-reforming fuccboi magnet.
Reaction score
Reactions
153,508 1,828 229
Alleybux
This damn thread making me want Mac n cheese.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. Mac n cheese didn't show up in my household.

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
I can't stand Dez. The one with the short blonde hair. The Bahamian girl who did these videos had her in some others and she was always acting stank and downgrading the others food even when all the ladies voted them high. Come to find her sh!t wasn't that good.

That’s usually how it goes. The biggest sh!t talker has the worst food, lmao.

In regards to everyone critiquing others food, unless you’re that ethnicity, I think it’s hard to decipher if one truly likes food from across the diaspora unless they’ve had it from different people. You have to have an open mind to try it again because some people just can’t cook!

My ex’s family food wasn’t good but I went to Haiti, had food, & it was much better. Much more flavorful. I’ve had Jamaican food from all over the U.S., I think Clive’s in Miami is the best. Some places were very underwhelming. I felt like Bahamian food I had in Miami was better than the food I had in Bahamas which was surprising to me.

Also, I find it hard to compare the macaroni and cheese. One big thing is that AA’s use elbow noodles which I think makes a difference. Also, I don’t know any AA’s that put vegetables and/or meat in their macaroni and cheese. It changes the macaroni and cheese completely, reminds me more of a casserole.

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
That's not mac and cheese That's Dominican pasta ( no cheese)and the hot dog sounds more rican than Dominican

I’ve seen a lot of them use cheese as well and I don’t know where the hot dogs came from, but I’ve seen them used in place of ham. I usually see the Puerto Ricans using hot dogs in rice and spaghetti.

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
What soul food restaurants and in what region/state? Because AA's cook food according to the region. Black folks in South Carolina cook a whole nother menu compared to Black folks in Louisiana. Black folks in Memphis cook dishes that are not made elsewhere. AA food is more varied compared to Haitian food due to the vast geography of the US. You have not tasted all African American cooking.

Very good point.

I live in Texas and I haven’t found soul food that truly hits the spot (I do like This Is It) as I did when I lived/visited the south east (Georgia, FL, & SC). Texas has more creole influence (which makes sense!) but I wasn’t used to it when I moved here, lol. I do appreciate the food though.

Belle14

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,616 773 161
Alleybux
INGREDIENTS
elbow macaroni
  • 1⁄2
    large white onion, diced

DIRECTIONS
  • Add 2 pinches of salt to Large pot of water. Bring water to a boil and add macoroni to pot. Boil until tender.
  • Strain macaroni and place back in pot, add Butter and stir macaroni until butter melts.
  • Stir in 1 1/2 bags cheese slowly so it stirs evenly (reserve 1/2 for topping).
  • Add paprika, black pepper, onion, bell pepper and 1/2 of diced habanero. stir well until cheese is melted and blended.
  • Beat eggs lightly and stir into mixture.
  • Slowly add evaporated milk to pot about half a cup at a time. Stir well and then spread evenly into a large prepared baking pan about 13 x 9.
  • Top with remainder of cheese and loosely cover with foil.
  • Bake at 375°F for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until top is a golden color.
  • Allow macaroni to cool for 45-50 minutes until room temperature THIS IS ESSENTIAL! this macaroni is cut into squares to serve not scooped so it has to cool. It can be reheated to eat warm but has to cool at 1st to set.

Miss Rabbit

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
97,090 2,250 87
Alleybux
lol these. I like the peas n rice one

I want them to do a chicken souce one and corn beef and white rice

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
No cap but yall food is kinda bland compared to ours still way better than white peoples food though.I worked in 2 soul food restaurants and tasted many dishs and can say yall dont use as much seasonings as us. But there are some AA's that do like people from Louisiana,Texas and newer some generations of AA I see that are using some of the seasonings like we do to make traditional AA dishes down in Florida.

I don’t agree with it being bland but I do think we season our foods differently.

I can say if you have tried macaroni and cheese in a soul food spot, it usually isn’t right, lol.

I’m not sure if they do it to save time but a lot of spots just throw cheese on elbow noodles on the stove. It’s weird to me because I have never had macaroni from any AA’s home that hadn’t been baked.

Case in point, a soul food restaurant in my city.
photo1jpg.jpg

BlahGirl

FJB
Reaction score
Reactions
80,042 12,119 39,117
Alleybux
I’ve seen a lot of them use cheese as well and I don’t know where the hot dogs came from, but I’ve seen them used in place of ham. I usually see the Puerto Ricans using hot dogs in rice and spaghetti.
Kraft Mac and cheese is an American thing. That’s not traditional dominican food, we don’t do Mac and cheese

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
Very good point.

I live in Texas and I haven’t found soul food that truly hits the spot (I do like This Is It) as I did when I lived/visited the south east (Georgia, FL, & SC). Texas has more creole influence (which makes sense!) but I wasn’t used to it when I moved here, lol. I do appreciate the food though.

To add to that point, the creole influence is mainly in Southeast Texas. If you head up to Dallas, North Texas, or East Texas the food will be closer to that of Memphis or Mississippi.

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
Kraft Mac and cheese is an American thing. That’s not traditional dominican food, we don’t do Mac and cheese

Who said anything about Kraft? We’re talking about actual macaroni, not some Kraft Blue Box b.s. On that note, it might not be traditional but enough of you do it.

Belle14

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,616 773 161
Alleybux
View attachment 1445526

so it really is different from rice and peas.

While unfailingly tasty, Bahamian Peas n’ Rice contains a pretty basic ingredient list: deep brown pigeon peas, white long grain rice (most local chefs use the Mahatma brand), seasoned with tomatoes, onions, fresh thyme, tomato paste and (usually) salted pork or bacon.

Depending on the dining audience, goat pepper can also be included to give the dish some additional kick. Essentially all of these ingredients work in tandem to flavour and “brown” the rice, which results in a hearty and well seasoned pot.

In general, Bahamian Peas n’ Rice is the signature side dish served alongside a wide variety of other mealtime components such as: steamed or fried fish/chicken, baked macaroni and cheese, potato salad, cole slaw, fried plantain and maybe tossed salad too.

TheCaramelMamba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
92,594 3,141 386
Alleybux
What soul food restaurants and in what region/state? Because AA's cook food according to the region. Black folks in South Carolina cook a whole nother menu compared to Black folks in Louisiana. Black folks in Memphis cook dishes that are not made elsewhere. AA food is more varied compared to Haitian food due to the vast geography of the US. You have not tasted all African American cooking.

Thank you.

I am from South Carolina and living here in Atlanta can't even find some staple food items that we used to eat growing up. There are many different regional cuisines, especially here in the south.
Soul food is not better than Italian food let alone Spanish food
Spanish food from where? Because it's not all created equal, beloved
To you not us, but now to the important question how does it taste:yum.

Lived in Fl a while and I personally liked Haitian food and the smell never bothered me.

Ya'll do be stingy with the pikliz, though. :cautious:

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
To add to that point, the creole influence is mainly in Southeast Texas. If you head up to Dallas, North Texas, or East Texas the food will be closer to that of Memphis or Mississippi.

True! I live in Houston now but I lived in DFW previously and they were more about barbq and smoked foods.

queendan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,598 187 67
Alleybux
I need @Jada Laing or another Bahamian font to explain to me what Guava Duff is and what it tastes like. I’m intrigued.

Duff...I don't know how to explain it well.
It has the look of a big cinnamon roll with a much softer pastry filled with guava puree (not sure if that's the best word because a lot goes into it) covered with a sauce with guava + some stuff I can't remember.

Not everyone can make it well...I love guavas but because there's a lot of misses I don't eat it often

Last edited:

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
Dead at the fonts giving me skepticals because I disagreed with a font who said that African American food is bland. :disdain

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
It has the look of a big cinnamon roll with a much softer pastry filled with guava puree (not sure if that's the best word because a lot goes into it) covered with a sauce with guava + some stuff I can't remember.

Not everyone can make it well...I love guavas but because there's a lot of misses I don't eat it often

Is there anything similar in taste that you can think of or compare it to?

BlerdLyfe

Hustla
Reaction score
Reactions
17,495 842 534
Alleybux
INGREDIENTS
elbow macaroni
  • 1⁄2
    large white onion, diced

DIRECTIONS
  • Add 2 pinches of salt to Large pot of water. Bring water to a boil and add macoroni to pot. Boil until tender.
  • Strain macaroni and place back in pot, add Butter and stir macaroni until butter melts.
  • Stir in 1 1/2 bags cheese slowly so it stirs evenly (reserve 1/2 for topping).
  • Add paprika, black pepper, onion, bell pepper and 1/2 of diced habanero. stir well until cheese is melted and blended.
  • Beat eggs lightly and stir into mixture.
  • Slowly add evaporated milk to pot about half a cup at a time. Stir well and then spread evenly into a large prepared baking pan about 13 x 9.
  • Top with remainder of cheese and loosely cover with foil.
  • Bake at 375°F for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until top is a golden color.
  • Allow macaroni to cool for 45-50 minutes until room temperature THIS IS ESSENTIAL! this macaroni is cut into squares to serve not scooped so it has to cool. It can be reheated to eat warm but has to cool at 1st to set.

I've never in my life seen anyone put chopped peppers, onion nor celery in Macaroni and Cheese. Ohhh chile, just AHN AHHNNNNNN!!! *cringe*

Domina

Divine Feminine
Reaction score
Reactions
10,559 148 40
Alleybux

You did a better job than me. I can't explain duff at all.

I also hate guava so I only eat duff without guava lmao

queendan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,598 187 67
Alleybux
You did a better job than me. I can't explain duff at all.

I also hate guava so I only eat duff without guava lmao

I don't eat the filling either! :ROFLMAO: People make it too sweet!
I eat the bread with the sauce lol

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
Lots of restaurants in America do serve the soupy kind, including some famous restaurants. Not every place bakes the mac and cheese.

Baked macaroni can be “soupy” though. White people actually bake theirs to be that way. On the other hand if you go to a lot of restaurants, especially quick serve, they’re just throwing cheese sauce on noodles and sending it out the kitchen as fast as possible. I rarely order macaroni in a restaurant if it’s not an entreé or main.

Most people who I know bake macaroni when they make it at home, especially black people.

Haitian1

ghetto girl with a degree
Reaction score
Reactions
87,648 13,390 5,095
Alleybux
I don’t agree with it being bland but I do think we season our foods differently.

I can say if you have tried macaroni and cheese in a soul food spot, it usually isn’t right, lol.

I’m not sure if they do it to save time but a lot of spots just throw cheese on elbow noodles on the stove. It’s weird to me because I have never had macaroni from any AA’s home that hadn’t been baked.

Case in point, a soul food restaurant in my city.
photo1jpg.jpg
To us its bland cause we use a lot of seasoning in our foods I worked at two soul food places one called Betty's in Fort Lauderdale they baked theirs its good but were used to having seasonings and bell peppers and onions in ours lol the other restaurant was The Licking in Sunrise,FL they had theirs like the one you posted but put Caribbean seasonings in it it was ok but texture was off cause it wasn't baked and didn't have any vegetables in it had

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
To us its bland cause we use a lot of seasoning in our foods I worked at two soul food places one called Betty's in Fort Lauderdale they baked theirs its good but were used to having seasonings and bell peppers and onions in ours lol the other restaurant was The Licking in Sunrise,FL they had theirs like the one you posted but put Caribbean seasonings in it it was ok but texture was off cause it wasn't baked and didn't have any vegetables in it had

Baby, we’re going to have to get you over to somebody’s house for dinner. Now I’ve eaten at The Licking in Miami Gardens and thought their sides were bland af, but the meat was seasoned well. The candied yams and greens didn’t taste like anything. On the other hand I find the food at a place like Conch Heaven to be extremely bland. Especially comparing the conch from there to the conch at Miracle Fry.

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
I was kind of underwhelmed by the food in the Bahamas tbh and it surprised me. It's Caribbean style food alright but it was a little bland for my taste. I ate at a few places including road side shacks and the beach and it was the same experience... That said, I never tried the macaroni but it looks like Haitian macaroni in the video

As for AA food, I only know Louisiana style cooking, which I love. I have no idea what the soul food in other regions tastes like except for sweet potato pie

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
Soul food is not better than Italian food let alone Spanish food

I had Spanish food in Spain and it's good but I don't remember it being great. Paella was good but not something I would crave. I don't remember any dish standing out and I did quite a bit of eating there. It's just ok to me.

Now Italian food in Italy on the other hand was amazing. Can't praise it enough.

Louisiana soul food is delicious. I don't usually like okra but their gumbo is the only okra I'll eat and I love it. Could it eat every day if I had access.

BlahGirl

FJB
Reaction score
Reactions
80,042 12,119 39,117
Alleybux
Thank you.

I am from South Carolina and living here in Atlanta can't even find some staple food items that we used to eat growing up. There are many different regional cuisines, especially here in the south.

Spanish food from where? Because it's not all created equal, beloved

Lived in Fl a while and I personally liked Haitian food and the smell never bothered me.

Ya'll do be stingy with the pikliz, though. :cautious:
Spanish=spain

VickyTrixx

just a growing one.
Reaction score
Reactions
48,649 853 179
Alleybux
I was kind of underwhelmed by the food in the Bahamas tbh and it surprised me. It's Caribbean style food alright but it was a little bland for my taste. I ate at a few places including road side shacks and the beach and it was the same experience... That said, I never tried the macaroni but it looks like Haitian macaroni in the video

As for AA food, I only know Louisiana style cooking, which I love. I have no idea what the soul food in other regions tastes like except for sweet potato pie

my same experience for Bahamian food as well.