‘Batwoman’ Sets Wallis Day As New, Altered Kate Kane In Big Reveal​

By Dino-Ray Ramos

Dino-Ray Ramos

Associate Editor/Reporter
@DinoRay

March 21, 2021 6:00pm

wallis-day.jpg

Courtesy of The CW
On Sunday night, Batwoman answered the lingering question of “What ever happened to Kate Kane?” Since Javicia Leslie donned the cape and cowl as Batwoman (aka Ryan Wilder), Kate’s whereabouts have remained a loose end, but the mystery was solved tonight as Wallis Day will step into the role that was once played by Ruby Rose.
Don’t get it twisted — Leslie will continue to be Batwoman. In fact, the re-introduction of Kate Kane further solidifies Leslie’s place as the one and only Batwoman — and we must reiterate that she is the first Black actress to step into the role of the iconic superhero.

The second half of the season is going to reveal where Kate has been, and what that means for her character going forward. At the end of tonight’s episode, the audience discovers that Kate Kane is alive but unrecognizable due to injuries she sustained in the crash. She is bandaged and being held hostage. That said, Day will play an altered version of Kate.
British-born actress Wallis Day isn’t a stranger to the comic book world as she starred as one of the leads in Krypton. Her other TV credits include Jekyll and Hyde, Casanova, and The Royals. Day recently wrapped the feature film Infinite directed by Antoine Fuqua where she stars opposite Mark Wahlberg and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
Day repped by Hamilton and UTA.

Diva_Style

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,709 58 3
Alleybux
So what, they are just going to toss Ryan aside now that BLM has died down??:cautious: I hate it here, draw us in and leave us dry.

AbbiejeanKaneArcher

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
36,812 45 44
Alleybux
Wallis Day attempted to undermine and push aside Georgina Campbell as the lead on Krypton. We'll see if she does it on Batwoman.

Last edited:

Diva_Style

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,709 58 3
Alleybux
No, she's still going to be Batwoman, but they are holding on to Kate for whatever reason.
Why can’t they just let Kate go...Her being in the show as well feels like they don’t intend on Ryan being Batwoman permanently.

eraserhead

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,219 36 15
Alleybux
I’m going to be frank and say the writers are dumb. This season feels like a bait and switch. People went into Season 2 expecting the season would be focused on Ryan and her story but they have spent more time on Kate and Alice than they have on Ryan. I was hoping they would at least end the Kate storyline by this episode but now this recasting confirms it will continue.

AbbiejeanKaneArcher

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
36,812 45 44
Alleybux
She will get dragged if she tries to egg on the Kate fans against Ryan/Javicia lol

She got dragged by Krypton fans, but that didn't stop her trying to get her character to Seb's romantic partner over Lita. At first it looked like the Krypton writers were going along with them and they threw them a curve ball, bringing Lita back to live and reuniting her romantically with Seb which sent the fans over the edge. Unfortunately, the show was cancelled before seeing where the show was going next.

I do think that Ryan/Javicia is safe because the negative PR will dwarf anything that happened with Krypton or other shows where the Black leads were sidelined in favor of white characters.

eraserhead

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,219 36 15
Alleybux
She got dragged by Krypton fans, but that didn't stop her trying to get her character to Seb's romantic partner over Lita. At first it looked like the Krypton writers were going along with them and they threw them a curve ball, bringing Lita back to live and reuniting her romantically with Seb which sent the fans over the edge. Unfortunately, the show was cancelled before seeing where the show was going next.

I do think that Ryan/Javicia is safe because the negative PR will dwarf anything that happened with Krypton or other shows where the Black leads were sidelined in favor of white characters.
I don’t think Javicia’s position as the lead is in danger either (that would cause a massive backlash and they should already know that) but an article from Variety said New Kate will have her own reoccurring storyline and I think that’s doing too much. I also don’t like how this has set up Ryan/Javicia to get picked on again because people already tweeting about how the show should be given back to Kate.

NatRod93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,542 858 38
Alleybux
This was a great episode, but I definitely hope that NuKate was cast just to wrap up Kate's storyline and send her off in the sunset. Especially if this Wallis trick is basically another Danielle Pan Pizza. Now I'm annoyed by this revelation lol

Philotes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,056 2,055 102
Alleybux
I just saw the Willis Day thing. Yeah..umm so are we just killing off Kate then cause if they kill off Ryan it will be the end.

I would also like to say this is all because of Ruby! How do you fµck up a guaranteed job for 4 years?! You have to do it with purpose. Worst part is she gives zero fucks the position it put EVERYONE in.

eraserhead

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,219 36 15
Alleybux
I just saw the Willis Day thing. Yeah..umm so are we just killing off Kate then cause if they kill off Ryan it will be the end.

I would also like to say this is all because of Ruby! How do you fµck up a guaranteed job for 4 years?! You have to do it with purpose. Worst part is she gives zero fucks the position it put EVERYONE in.
Sounds like they will co-exist. From Caroline Dries:
Ultimately, we [thought], "What's the midpoint of our season? It's probably about episode 8 or 9. Let's make this reveal here." And the way we revealed it was very specific which is we have the Bat Team and all of Kate's loved ones looking for her for the first half of the season, and they definitively learn that she's dead so that they can now close the book on Kate and grieve, but the audience is let in on this huge secret that she's alive, and that then propels these two parallel stories moving on to the second half of our season which [are]: the Bat Team coalescing without Kate, and Kate going through her mysterious journey as will unfold as the season goes on.
'Batwoman' boss breaks down that wild Kate Kane reveal and recasting

Philotes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,056 2,055 102
Alleybux
Sounds like they will co-exist. From Caroline Dries:
Ultimately, we [thought], "What's the midpoint of our season? It's probably about episode 8 or 9. Let's make this reveal here." And the way we revealed it was very specific which is we have the Bat Team and all of Kate's loved ones looking for her for the first half of the season, and they definitively learn that she's dead so that they can now close the book on Kate and grieve, but the audience is let in on this huge secret that she's alive, and that then propels these two parallel stories moving on to the second half of our season which [are]: the Bat Team coalescing without Kate, and Kate going through her mysterious journey as will unfold as the season goes on.
'Batwoman' boss breaks down that wild Kate Kane reveal and recasting

*sighs* Yall ever just want to flick someone in the face then walk away? This is what I want to do to Dries! That or just a tit punch lmao! I know I sound nuts but y’all I just ugh! The only upside to where’s Kate storyline is Luke and Mary working as a team, Jules getting stabbed and DUMPED, and Nathan Owens...:love::love::love:

kdm

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,266 453 37
Alleybux
I don't understand why we needed Kate back in any capacity? Should've kept her like Julia said she was: dead. In fact, I'd rather we get more Julia over Kate because at least Julia interests me and unlike Kate, when push comes to shove, she'll kill Alice if she has to (also wanna add that I still want Alice gone from this show).

All I know is they better refocus on Ryan and Ryan alone in her journey as Batwoman. Enough with the "where's Kate? Is Kate alive? Will Alice become good" nonsense we've had for most of the season so far.

Morning View

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,888 403 105
Alleybux
Just finished the episode! I was saddened by the Sophie/Ryan moment. So I guess Kate’s dead somewhere and not in the ocean like they said.

queenblair28

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,362 6,622 896
Alleybux
I’m so annoyed that Kate is back and I feel like this show is going to become supergirl 2.0 with sidelining it’s black lead for a white one smh

A Username

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,757 2,081 199
Alleybux
-"I never had your sister, Alice."

y5ORK7F.jpg

-I now feel 0.000001% sympathetic toward Alice. This "forbidden love" thing is so eye-roll worthy tho and I still don't care about her character arc.

- "Something something curative properties of the desert rose." Then why is the fake Ocean still dead?