Quantcast

Be honest will Whitney always be placed higher as a vocalist compared to her contemporaries?

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,721 4,765 1,968
Alleybux
Honestly speaking, will she? I know no one in popular music has surpassed her but comparing her to her competitors it seems like she will always be placed higher as a vocalist. Maybe only Aretha surpassed her? But Whitney is seen higher and beyond compared to Celine, Mariah, Pattie, Chaka, Dionne, ect...

QueenoftheAk

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,149 938 419
Alleybux
Until there is a better vocalist. She is a million times better than everyone you mentioned. Even Aretha was intimidated by her. Also her gift was so effortless. She doesn’t do all that screeching, lip quivering, trying to find notes with her hands or complaining about her ears.

sade

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
144,659 7,683 10,557
Alleybux
Yes but I believe all things being equal Aretha, Chaka etc are just as good. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

SlayCoulee

posted in another ninja hood like a bad bih
Reaction score
Reactions
153,855 2,484 357
Alleybux
Yes.

200.gif

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,721 4,765 1,968
Alleybux
Until there is a better vocalist. She is a million times better than everyone you mentioned. Even Aretha was intimidated by her. Also her gift was so effortless. She doesn’t do all that screeching, lip quivering, trying to find notes with her hands or complaining about her ears.
She seemed to be a very smart vocalist. I've noticed she really doesn't do too much. Every note that comes out of her mouth fits perfectly to the music. Even her melismas, it's never overdone.

LoveSupreme

01/06/21 - Planet of the Apes Day -
Reaction score
Reactions
134,305 8,451 7,808
Alleybux
She’s marvelous. When a lot of other people will just be remembered as the “hottest thing,” her voice will always be studied and have a special place in music history.

She’s one of a kind.

karyn

Don’t do me y’all. Black Karyn since 2006
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
190,991 4,026 3,303
Alleybux
Honestly speaking, will she? I know no one in popular music has surpassed her but comparing her to her competitors it seems like she will always be placed higher as a vocalist. Maybe only Aretha surpassed her? But Whitney is seen higher and beyond compared to Celine, Mariah, Pattie, Chaka, Dionne, ect...

Yes.

Capt Burnham

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,081 759 597
Alleybux
For me, this answer is yes and no.

Yes - She was the voice of Generation X, hands down. For real, there is no question.

But, she did have a rivalry with Celine Dion and anyone who was old enough in the 90s should remember this - especially after Titanic. It was The Bodyguard vs Titanic - lol thinking back on it.

The rivalry was similar to the one Aretha had with Barbra Streisand back in the 70s/80s. Aretha lived long enough to establish her dominance without question. By the time Aretha died, there was no doubt who won. Almost every young singer tried to sound like her.

With Whitney, it's not that clear because of the drugs and the fact that she died before she turned 50. At her best, Whitney is untouchable. But we all know how that voice changed after the drugs and that hurts her legacy a bit, IMHO, and she's not here to overcome that setback.

Aretha is not really Whitney's contemporary so I don't understand why there would be a comparison. Besides, Aretha was named The Voice of the 20th Century (she even beat out Ella Fitzgerald and Mahalia Jackson).

Just thoughts...

Last edited:

the musicman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,446 1,123 1,076
Alleybux
for her Era and After Whitney Houston Spanked them Cheeks and Please Celine Dion ain't seeing No Whitney, she had big songs and could Sing, However Celine ain't held in Whitney's vocal world, nor is Mariah who while more of a songwriter and had alot of hits, just didn't drop the Kind of songs and those vocal gems like Whitney

and Beyonce can Sing and is a strong Live performer. however Her albums and songs are cute, do you really think that during Whitney's Peak and Prime that she would have needed a Grape head turkey Like Jay Z for some duet hits??

Whitney has no peer IMO since 85, before that Aretha, Gladys,Diana,Chaka, got arguments

Whitney did everything barbara Stressisand did when you consider that Whitney Hit in R&B,pop,adult comtempary,Gospel as well and did the film and TV,

Streissand did big Projects with Berry Gibb and Donna Summers,Whitney went her first decade without doing a superstar Colab, think about it she did background Vocals with Teddy Pendergrass and that was low key and Her stuff with Jermaine Jackson which was good,Jermaine ain't Michael and that wasn't that big of a Brand thing,even when she worked with Bobby Brown and worked with stevie Wonder, nothing overshadowed Her Instrument.

Whitney was front and center the way an artist should be

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,721 4,765 1,968
Alleybux
for her Era and After Whitney Houston Spanked them Cheeks and Please Celine Dion ain't seeing No Whitney, she had big songs and could Sing, However Celine ain't held in Whitney's vocal world, nor is Mariah who while more of a songwriter and had alot of hits, just didn't drop the Kind of songs and those vocal gems like Whitney

and Beyonce can Sing and is a strong Live performer. however Her albums and songs are cute, do you really think that during Whitney's Peak and Prime that she would have needed a Grape head turkey Like Jay Z for some duet hits??

Whitney has no peer IMO since 85, before that Aretha, Gladys,Diana,Chaka, got arguments

Whitney did everything barbara Stressisand did when you consider that Whitney Hit in R&B,pop,adult comtempary,Gospel as well and did the film and TV,

Streissand did big Projects with Berry Gibb and Donna Summers,Whitney went her first decade without doing a superstar Colab, think about it she did background Vocals with Teddy Pendergrass and that was low key and Her stuff with Jermaine Jackson which was good,Jermaine ain't Michael and that wasn't that big of a Brand thing,even when she worked with Bobby Brown and worked with stevie Wonder, nothing overshadowed Her Instrument.

Whitney was front and center the way an artist should be
Wow this is amazing!!!

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,473 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
For me, this answer is yes and no.

Yes - She was the voice of Generation X, hands down. For real, there is no question.

But, she did have a rivalry with Celine Dion and anyone who was old enough in the 90s should remember this - especially after Titanic. It was The Bodyguard vs Titanic - lol thinking back on it.

The rivalry was similar to the one Aretha had with Barbra Streisand back in the 70s/80s. Aretha lived long enough to establish her dominance without question. By the time Aretha died, there was no doubt who won. Almost every young singer tried to sound like her.

With Whitney, it's not that clear because of the drugs and the fact that she died before she turned 50. At her best, Whitney is untouchable. But we all know how that voice changed after the drugs and that hurts her legacy a bit, IMHO, and she's not here to overcome that setback.

Aretha is not really Whitney's contemporary so I don't understand why there would be a comparison. Besides, Aretha was named The Voice of the 20th Century (she even beat out Ella Fitzgerald and Mahalia Jackson).

Just thoughts...
Even at Celine’s peak, she was still in Whitney’s shadows. Celine had a great moment with the Titanic soundtrack. Whitney had an entire dominating era with The bodyguard soundtrack. Celine’s song was featured on the Titanic soundtrack, Whitney WAS The Bodyguard soundtrack. It was the best selling female album in history. Whitney’s name still and will always carry a different weight...

Also, Whitney was a major influence on Celine. Although Celine’s sold extremely well, she's never made the impact Whitney did. Whitney was the teacher and influencer in the same manner that Aretha was except Whitney’s peak was far beyond anything Aretha did. Aretha’s probably the greatest female musician ever. She’s influenced so many greats( including Whitney) but even the great Aretha felt conscientious singing with Whitney. When discussing Whitney’s voice, it’s important remember the woman started singing professionally at 12. The drugs was just one factor but various issues like nodules/ polyps, enormous strain on her vocal cords may have impacted her voice as well but even by that point, she was already known as The VOICE and the best vocalist of her era/ generation.

Capt Burnham

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,081 759 597
Alleybux
Even at Celine’s peak, she was still in Whitney’s shadows. Celine had a great moment with the Titanic soundtrack. Whitney had an entire dominating era with The bodyguard soundtrack. Celine’s song was featured on the Titanic soundtrack, Whitney WAS The Bodyguard soundtrack. It was the best selling female album in history. Whitney’s name still and will always carry a different weight...

Also, Whitney was a major influence on Celine. Although Celine’s sold extremely well, she's never made the impact Whitney did. Whitney was the teacher and influencer in the same manner that Aretha was except Whitney’s peak was far beyond anything Aretha did. Aretha’s probably the greatest female musician ever. She’s influenced so many greats( including Whitney) but even the great Aretha felt conscientious singing with Whitney. When discussing Whitney’s voice, it’s important remember the woman started singing professionally at 12. The drugs was just one factor but various issues like nodules/ polyps, enormous strain on her vocal cords may have impacted her voice as well but even by that point, she was already known as The VOICE and the best vocalist of her era/ generation.

I’ve mentally moved passed this post so I’m not going to bother responding to specific points except to say that Whitney’s drug use - which did effect her voice - and early death means her legacy will always have an asterisk next to her name - and not in a good way. You can’t really argue with that.

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,721 4,765 1,968
Alleybux

I agree her name carries such a different rate. What a blessing!

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,473 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
I’ve mentally moved passed this post so I’m not going to bother responding to specific points except to say that Whitney’s drug use - which did effect her voice - and early death means her legacy will always have an asterisk next to her name - and not in a good way. You can’t really argue with that.
Whitney has an asterisk next to her name as the best vocalist of her generation/ era and a singer who inspired singers that followed, including Celine Dion. Celine Dion never made the type of impact Whitney did and that’s a fact you can’t argue. You have NO valid points hence you mentioning drugs as if Whitney wasn’t already recognized as the best or one of the best in history even before her passing!

Last edited:

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,721 4,765 1,968
Alleybux
Whitney has an asterisk next to her name as the best vocalist of her generation/ era and a singer who inspired singers that followed, including Celine Dion. Celine Dion never made the type of impact Whitney did and that’s a fact you can’t argue. You have NO valid points hence you mentioning drugs as if Whitney wasn’t already recognized as the best or one of the best in history even before her passing!
I will say Celine is also known all over the world too.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,473 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
I will say Celine is also known all over the world too.
Ofcourse she is. Celine’s very popular worldwide but she’s never made the impact Whitney did and vocally, Whitney was was in rarified air. Her peak years were historic in every which way and her legacy as The Voice was solidified even before all the nonsense. That font just wants to be dense.
Side note, Celine did look up to Whitney, spoke about Whitney’s influencing her and sang Whitney songs in the 80’s so I’m not taking a shot at her.
She’s also one who told Whitney personally, how much she loved her.
1:28

Not hating on Celine. She’s not a hater like some others...

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,721 4,765 1,968
Alleybux
Ofcourse she is. Celine’s very popular worldwide but she’s never made the impact Whitney did and vocally, Whitney was was in rarified air. Her peak years were historic in every which way and her legacy as The Voice was solidified even before all the nonsense. That font just wants to be dense.
Side note, Celine did look up to Whitney, spoke about Whitney’s influencing her and sang Whitney songs in the 80’s so I’m not taking a shot at her.
She’s also one who told Whitney personally, how much she loved her.
1:28

Not hating on Celine. She’s not a hater like some others...

What about MC? Vocally she made the same impact as Whitney.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,473 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
What about MC? Vocally she made the same impact as Whitney.
She’s made impact but not equally, Whitney started before her and according to MC, Whitney’s “influenced everyone.” MC herself, originally started a Whitney like artist. Whitney was on her 3rd album when “MC” debuted. Whitney's influence isn’t only in pop/r&b but in gospel and other genres. The singer who probably had more influence, acclaimed would be Aretha Franklin but Whitney’s peak was something never seen before or since with any female artist... .

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,721 4,765 1,968
Alleybux
She’s made impact but not equally, Whitney started before her and according to MC, Whitney’s “influenced everyone.” Whitney was on her 3rd album when “MC” debuted. Whitney's influence isn’t only in pop/r&b but in gospel and other genres. The singer who probably had more influence, acclaimed would be Aretha Franklin but Whitney’s peak was something never seen before or since with any female artist... .
So basically there hasn’t been anyone since Whitney who made that much of an impact as a vocalist.

HeByHooray

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,038 80 47
Alleybux

Whitney could out sing Aretha and Aretha knew this (she acted a fool when they were in the studio together and hurt Whitney's feelings). Whitney is the greatest singer that ever lived.

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,721 4,765 1,968
Alleybux
Whitney could out sing Aretha and Aretha knew this (she acted a fool when they were in the studio together and hurt Whitney's feelings). Whitney is the greatest singer that ever lived.
Did not know Aretha could be that petty. Whitney has from what i've heard and read been gracious and nice. She knew she was/is the greatest singer!

Ocean Mama

Your Favorite Plot Twist
Reaction score
Reactions
84,695 3,603 2,670
Alleybux
Honestly speaking, will she? I know no one in popular music has surpassed her but comparing her to her competitors it seems like she will always be placed higher as a vocalist.
Welp, all I know is I'm doing vocal runs to "Saving All My Love" and I can't keep up! The sudden jumps to soprano are challenging. What a privilege to live during her era! Queen Whit!!!!!!!

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,721 4,765 1,968
Alleybux
Welp, all I know is I'm doing vocal runs to "Saving All My Love" and I can't keep up! The sudden jumps to soprano are challenging. What a privilege to live during her era! Queen Whit!!!!!!!
Wow so lucky to witness that era!

soufully

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,173 1,889 479
Alleybux
She was one of the best singers though. I wouldn't say she's the best of all time but I have to say if you've had asked me that when I was 12, I'd probably would've said she was.

Ocean Mama

Your Favorite Plot Twist
Reaction score
Reactions
84,695 3,603 2,670
Alleybux
She was one of the best singers though. I wouldn't say she's the best of all time but I have to say if you've had asked me that when I was 12, I'd probably would've said she was.

You said be patient
Just wait a little longer
But that's just an old fantasy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ocean Mama

Your Favorite Plot Twist
Reaction score
Reactions
84,695 3,603 2,670
Alleybux
I've got to get ready
Just a few minutes more
Gonna get that old feeling
When you walk through that door
'Cause tonight is the night
For feeling alright
We'll be making love the whole night through....!!!!!!!