Quantcast

Being Mary Jane - Season 4 - Episode 20 - Feeling Tested (Season Finale)

Shampagne

Ignoring half of you heauxs
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,835 864 644
Alleybux
I’m all in my feels. I expected to continue hating Justin but now I like his character. Ugh it’s painful to watch this show because I empathize so much with MJ and self sabotage.

MJ: I want to see her win and I get why she picked Kara. If Justin was her husband I would be ok with her choosing him but a boyfriend nah. Kara has been behind MJ too long and as someone whose got a 25 year best friend relationship man..... I will walk through the fire with her. I think that proposal was perfect and sweet.

Kara: Hmmmm she was cracked with that name plate. I felt bad for her because I’ve experienced that and eek the let down is disastrous. If Kara doesn’t pull her weight as EP Justin will be moved into that position. That newsroom is a boys club and you know she will be expected to always perform or lose her position.

Justin: Ugh I wanted to continue hating his character but can’t. Dude is official and can handle MJ. The man is talking our/we. Yooooo when a millionaire with a boss career and no kids is talking that sh!t to you!!!!

I’m glad to see Niecy get her ish together. Side Bar she always looks like she smells to me.

Baely

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I really love the way MJ and Justin's story progressed. I was watching it again and I noticed how despite him being so calculated with everything in his career, Justin repeatedly put MJ first over and over above his career taking risk after risk in the end to realize what truly makes him happy is not his career 1. taking the risk on his own to take down ronda (protecting mj) 2. choosing being with her after initially knowing it was going to be risky for both their careers 3. bringing kara back with the same title when the title matter so much for him 4. going public knowing in 5min his reputation could be ruined 6. coming back for her despite her costing him his dream job

Justin's storyline is one of really realizing what makes him happy and what is his true priority despite years and years he had dedicated to proving himself and hiding from his past demons. Funny enough, MJ is just like him...the big difference being that her proving herself/relationship demons had led to her self-sabotaging and messing up and not moving forward...and Justin was stuck chasing dreams that weren't where his happiness was going to be found.
It's nice how they helped each other get "unstuck" from their patterns but they did it by accepting each other's foibles and by helping each other work through them... because each of them had done the work individually...they could be resourceful and supportive for the other person... MJ has stood in as the "rock" for many ppl in her life and she could do that for him. Justin has learned all the steps needed to move forward for his career and he used those skills for MJ to progress...
They're a good complement and they're great together... who knew the "devil" from epi 1 could be "the one" for mj in epi 20

thirty

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
. who knew the "devil" from epi 1 could be "the one" for mj in epi 20

Justin is an intriguing character...All through season 4, he defied expectations. He's supposed to be a registered Republican who dates White women, but he wants a law and order judge "eviscerated," and he's been dating a brown-skinned sis w/ natural hair for over a year. He's supposedly playing MJ and preparing to stab her in the back, but he risks getting fired for her and gets her in the anchor chair. He's arrogant and confident, closed-off and guarded (down to his bullet-proof tailored shirts), but when he tells MJ that he couldn't stand the thought of her being with another man or confesses the circumstances of his ex's death, you can see the vulnerability. ..I'm hoping to learn more. I hope they introduce his dad next season, because I think there may be something bordering on abusive in Jason's background. I wonder which black movie elder they might get to play daddy dearest...Bernie Casey woulda been a boss casting move. Billy Dee, anybody?

I've really liked this season, and the move to NY, and putting MJ and Kara in a different city and workplace setting, using a lot of current events to drive plot in the newsroom. I've never been all that interested in her family, frankly. Although I'm liking Niecy a lot this season.

Last edited:

Baely

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Justin is an intriguing character...All through season 4, he defied expectations. He's supposed to be a registered Republican who dates White women, but he wants a law and order judge "eviscerated," and he's been dating a brown-skinned sis w/ natural hair for over a year. He's supposedly playing MJ and preparing to stab her in the back, but he risks getting fired for her and gets her in the anchor chair. He's arrogant and confident, closed-off and guarded (down to his bullet-proof tailored shirts), but when he tells MJ that he couldn't stand the thought of her being with another man or confesses the circumstances of his ex's death, you can see the vulnerability. ..I'm hoping to learn more. I hope they introduce his dad next season, because I think there may be something bordering on abusive in Jason's background. I wonder which black movie elder they might get to play daddy dearest...Bernie Casey woulda been a boss casting move. Billy Dee, anybody?

I've really liked this season, and the move to NY, and putting MJ and Kara in a different city and workplace setting, using a lot of current events to drive plot in the newsroom. I've never been all that interested in her family, frankly. Although I'm liking Niecy a lot this season.
Yes, the way Justin's character was introduced and developed is one of my favorite things about this season. there was a very strong narrative despite all the other haphazard and distracting sub-plots with the other characters

... there is mystery about Just even still and the best part is that we've experienced him filtered through MJ's perspective and to get more and more revealed over time as her relationship with him gets stronger. her fear and insecurity about him filtered our view of who we thought Justin was throughout the season. That's why it's so fun to see Justin himself articulate that journey ...when he's reminding her (and us) that she doesn't trust him...or that she should trust him...asking does she trust him?...Justin's articulation of how MJ sees him shows us where they stood in that processes of her really seeing Justin. The climax of all of this then being that he makes the ultimate leap to show himself and what truly matters to him when he proposes... MJ comes first even over his career - something he's toiled over his whole life.

Agree that it'd be really great if we get to watch his storyline continue...he's a very interesting character and earlier in the season he did allude to some "roughing up" he got when he was young...and how he was as a boy moving in the boom or bust lifestyle with his dad. And how he seems to have excelled and worked hard every step of his life. we've learned that he's attracted to very strong and intelligent, ambitious black women - I'm curious what his mom is like.

I also find the moral dilemmas his character finds himself in interesting... e.g. catching Ronda with a mistake in order to get her fired vs. sitting back and watching her dirty dealings that had started to affect his career, choosing to invest in a young and talented MJ who he still felt needed to improve vs. sticking with the veteran who had started using dirty dealings to stay in her role, giving his ex what she wanted when she wanted to die vs. not, spending the money he got from his ex vs. feeling guilty and not spending it.... despite how controlled and calculated he is, he has his conflicts that clearly shows his humanity... and that makes him very interesting. I bet Micheal Ealy really enjoys the complexity of the character...

thirty

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
her fear and insecurity about him filtered our view of who we thought Justin was throughout the season.

So True…

We’ve listened to MJ and Kara say over and over what a snake he was/is and constantly talk about how he can’t be trusted and that has affected our interpretation of every move he makes. I also think the audience brings their own biases – our inclination to side-eye the pretty boys who we think get over on their good looks. And, the mystery of Justin is indeed another factor. We’re just getting to know him. He’s got that bad boy swagger, but there’s more there there…

Re: the daddy issues… He’s talked about needing a drink to even have a conversation with his dad.. in the early part of the season, there was that story about the video of a kid whose wardrobe was unisex getting a beatdown from his dad. Justin said what he saw was a dad protecting his son. Hmmm. And, he’s always talking about not being a victim, he’s used that repeatedly in conversations.And, Tiffany's observation about Justin having something to prove...if the pick up on some of this stuff, it'll be interesting, especially since parenting is an issue that may come up next season...

NaNah2020

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
291 2 35
Alleybux
Very true. Emotionally unavailable is her thing. Justin was too understanding, compromising, and mature. She kept trying to sabotage it. Whether it was "he won't look me in the eye during xes so he must not want me" or inviting his dead ex's sister to lunch when he blantantly asked her not to, MJ just couldn't be content with the lack of drama. She went through his sh!t, just hoping To find something. And she didn't and he forgave her and it led to her pulling that bs with her vote. It bothers her that Justin doesn't have a readily identifiable flaw like her past boos.

Andre- married
David- notice she didn't want him until he no longer wanted her
Cutty- tried to get serious, she dismissed him
Lee- closeted homosexual with more baggage than an airport

Justin initially turned her on because she thought he was a jerk. He turned out to be a sweetie pie and MJ couldn't deal.

I am literally WEAK from laughing. I was not expecting that comment. oh sh**. Thanks man.

ASHyouWERE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,960 1,718 1,254
Alleybux
So True…

We’ve listened to MJ and Kara say over and over what a snake he was/is and constantly talk about how he can’t be trusted and that has affected our interpretation of every move he makes. I also think the audience brings their own biases – our inclination to side-eye the pretty boys who we think get over on their good looks. And, the mystery of Justin is indeed another factor. We’re just getting to know him. He’s got that bad boy swagger, but there’s more there there…

Re: the daddy issues… He’s talked about needing a drink to even have a conversation with his dad.. in the early part of the season, there was that story about the video of a kid whose wardrobe was unisex getting a beatdown from his dad. Justin said what he saw was a dad protecting his son. Hmmm. And, he’s always talking about not being a victim, he’s used that repeatedly in conversations.And, Tiffany's observation about Justin having something to prove...if the pick up on some of this stuff, it'll be interesting, especially since parenting is an issue that may come up next season...
===
It seems to me that Justin's parents are dead and he has no siblings; otherwise, it would not make sense for the writers to reach into the pocket of his DEAD EX GIRLFRIEND from 10 years' ago sister.

Justin said he had to fix his dad a drink before speaking with him. It sounds to me like his dad was an alcoholic. When people are raised by alcoholic parents, they assume a caretaker role in all of their relationships. Mary Jane allows him to fill the role as caretaker. The matter becomes an issue when the person no longer needs to be taken care of.

It seems that the writers are setting Mary Jane up NOT to need care anymore by giving her the child she has so desperately wanted. I see Mary Jane pawning that child off on a nanny and Justin getting angry at her for not taking care of her responsiblity that she created.

ChiLawyer

One of One. The Only One.
Reaction score
Reactions
77,180 1,390 280
Alleybux
Re: Kara and Orlando in the finale

Kara mentions that Orlando is young. Did Kara ever stop and ask herself if she wants more children or if Orlando wants children? I think before any man would propose that conversation would have to take place first.

Did Kara and Orlando ever have a conversation about what to do about her kids? Has Orlando even MET them outside of Skype? I thought her plan when she got the EP job was to move her ex and the kids the NYC.

ASHyouWERE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,960 1,718 1,254
Alleybux
Did Kara and Orlando ever have a conversation about what to do about her kids? Has Orlando even MET them outside of Skype? I thought her plan when she got the EP job was to move her ex and the kids the NYC.
Kara mentioned bringing her kids to NY and didn't even mention Orlando the whole episode. Kara only mentioned him when she found what she thought was an engagement ringt.

Kara just doesn't want the EXPECTED to happen; that Orlando will find someone younger. If Orlando wants kids and she doesn't want anymore, that is a discussion they need to have before the relationship moves forward.

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
I have to let this out even if I am a week late.Whilst I appreciate the growth in Mary Jane's character, the show is sometimes cringe worthy and badly cobbled together.

Firstly, it is like the producers/writers have foregone a well structured back story line in terms of issues touched on and simply throw out "famous" names who will never appear on the show like Oprah, Beyonce and a Prince. Like honestly, previously the show was also about hard hitting issues and not exaggerated fluff pieces. And when an issue is touched on, we get a round table spewing rhetoric and a cheap knockoff scene of the bodyguard.

Secondly, it is frustrating that now the show is on Bet, like many others, the writing is purely lazy. As if you give us clothes, eye candy and a bit of f*ckery it is enough to sustain a show.

Lastly, the many tangents that the show starts but does not finish that leave me wondering what was the point beyond filling air space? Why did Lee need to be referenced to death if he is never to be seen again? How did Aaron go from exposing MJ and Justin to giving Justin the vote? How does Kara go from being almost fired to a contender? Why give Orlando a ring but no clarity on its purpose beyond a red herring? Kara's family disappearance and sudden reappearance in the final episode? PJ disappearance into the mist to never being seen again? Justin sent to Paris and Canada but no direct link to the show? Hell even a small issue is why did Justin have a stocking as part of his stash in the box?

The show just lacks continuity and substance as if the writers all get one scene and the next writer has to continue and so on. The show needs DIRECTION.

Whilst I will be tuning in next season, I need whoever at Bet to pick up their socks and give real CONTENT that FLOWS!

End rant.

Side note: Why is the show set up to highlight the issues faced by black women in terms of being sabotaged by the "pale blonde blue eyed innocent girl" when it won't deal with the issue head on. Are we to believe a 40 year old seasoned journalist has no savvy and cannot see the woods for the trees. Is Dani really that good and played MJ two times... Do better MJ!

ASHyouWERE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,960 1,718 1,254
Alleybux
I have to let this out even if I am a week late.Whilst I appreciate the growth in Mary Jane's character, the show is sometimes cringe worthy and badly cobbled together.

Firstly, it is like the producers/writers have foregone a well structured back story line in terms of issues touched on and simply throw out "famous" names who will never appear on the show like Oprah, Beyonce and a Prince. Like honestly, previously the show was also about hard hitting issues and not exaggerated fluff pieces. And when an issue is touched on, we get a round table spewing rhetoric and a cheap knockoff scene of the bodyguard.

Secondly, it is frustrating that now the show is on Bet, like many others, the writing is purely lazy. As if you give us clothes, eye candy and a bit of f*ckery it is enough to sustain a show.

Lastly, the many tangents that the show starts but does not finish that leave me wondering what was the point beyond filling air space? Why did Lee need to be referenced to death if he is never to be seen again? How did Aaron go from exposing MJ and Justin to giving Justin the vote? How does Kara go from being almost fired to a contender? Why give Orlando a ring but no clarity on its purpose beyond a red herring? Kara's family disappearance and sudden reappearance in the final episode? PJ disappearance into the mist to never being seen again? Justin sent to Paris and Canada but no direct link to the show? Hell even a small issue is why did Justin have a stocking as part of his stash in the box?

The show just lacks continuity and substance as if the writers all get one scene and the next writer has to continue and so on. The show needs DIRECTION.

Whilst I will be tuning in next season, I need whoever at Bet to pick up their socks and give real CONTENT that FLOWS!

End rant.

Side note: Why is the show set up to highlight the issues faced by black women in terms of being sabotaged by the "pale blonde blue eyed innocent girl" when it won't deal with the issue head on. Are we to believe a 40 year old seasoned journalist has no savvy and cannot see the woods for the trees. Is Dani really that good and played MJ two times... Do better MJ!

Being Mary Jane changed writers in the 4th season. The original writers appear as executive producers but they worked out some side deal with another network.

I agree about bring DANI on just to upset us. In what world, would a 20 something white girl be able to one up a veteran news reporter. I personally would rather have RHONDA on the show than Dani; Rhonda was evil but she and Mary Jane went toe for toe. The show is giving Dani, on the upper hand and all of the power because of her looks and fan following.

Justin always coming and going is the writers way of saying: "we don't know what to do with Justin?" He is perfect in every way, but the show cannot go on if Mary Jane ends up married with child. The whole premise of the show is the ANGST of a single black woman.

I will continue to say this again and again until the writers listen. Until you give Mary Jane a group of black friends ON HER LEVEL who are down to earth, the show will never be the same. Without those black friends, real life issues are not being addressed in the appropriate setting and Mary Jane no longer has permission to be herself with the support of her friends because her friends now work with her and won't lose their job behind Mary Jane's antics.

Princess Jazzy

President of the Dak Prescott Fanclub
Reaction score
Reactions
87,957 1,984 384
Alleybux

Wasn't Orlando trying to be friends with the older boy and Kara got pissed over that?

Princess Jazzy

Reaction score
Reactions
87,957 1,984 384
Alleybux

End rant.

Being Mary Jane changed writers in the 4th season. The original writers appear as executive producers but they worked out some side deal with another network.

I agree about bring DANI on just to upset us. In what world, would a 20 something white girl be able to one up a veteran news reporter. I personally would rather have RHONDA on the show than Dani; Rhonda was evil but she and Mary Jane went toe for toe. The show is giving Dani, on the upper hand and all of the power because of her looks and fan following.

Justin always coming and going is the writers way of saying: "we don't know what to do with Justin?" He is perfect in every way, but the show cannot go on if Mary Jane ends up married with child. The whole premise of the show is the ANGST of a single black woman.

I will continue to say this again and again until the writers listen. Until you give Mary Jane a group of black friends ON HER LEVEL who are down to earth, the show will never be the same. Without those black friends, real life issues are not being addressed in the appropriate setting and Mary Jane no longer has permission to be herself with the support of her friends because her friends now work with her and won't lose their job behind Mary Jane's antics.

I totally agree. The approach of the writers drastically altered what was on our screens. In seasons past, the focus was on characters and everything's centered around that. This season, the focus was on situations and characters were manipulated to pull it off. Ignoring the set characteristics, personalities, histories, and arcs of MJ and her supporting cast also fµcked up the show's tone and pacing. Look at how long her mother struggled with lupus...not anymore! We had a slow burn of the extortion situation with Loretta Divine and how long did we hear about Andre and David? Now MJ's parents unraveled, cheated, and divorced, and moved on in a week!
The relationship with Lee was a tragic fail the writers couldn't explain. Trying to parallel it with Helen's situation was a fail. And to be honest, they didn't take the Justin situation to the heights it could've gone to either. Ealy saved that role. If the man playing Lee would've been cast as Justin, the role would've seemed absurd. We just accepted sh!t (like a man having $30 mill) because we liked seeing Ealy kiss and be nasty.
It's why I insist every thread for BET to call me. The current writers don't understand my favorite news anchor thot like I do.
And most importantly, I would've never let Lee happen to y'all or y'all friend MJ.

Baely

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I already miss this show this week despite the mess that its storylines were!!

I don't think anyone knows if/when season 5 is coming back. I would say they would continue it simply because it seems to be one of the successful shows

thirty

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux

I don't think anyone knows if/when season 5 is coming back. I would say they would continue it simply because it seems to be one of the successful shows

I was listening to one of the online shows that discuss BMJ after each episode and they said that there would be a season five...

Last edited:

ASHyouWERE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,960 1,718 1,254
Alleybux

Also, the show is ine of the few unifying blackwomen right now in a post non fight way on tv.

Elle Vee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
2,006 85 77
Alleybux
I totally agree. The approach of the writers drastically altered what was on our screens. In seasons past, the focus was on characters and everything's centered around that. This season, the focus was on situations and characters were manipulated to pull it off. Ignoring the set characteristics, personalities, histories, and arcs of MJ and her supporting cast also fµcked up the show's tone and pacing. Look at how long her mother struggled with lupus...not anymore! We had a slow burn of the extortion situation with Loretta Divine and how long did we hear about Andre and David? Now MJ's parents unraveled, cheated, and divorced, and moved on in a week!
The relationship with Lee was a tragic fail the writers couldn't explain. Trying to parallel it with Helen's situation was a fail. And to be honest, they didn't take the Justin situation to the heights it could've gone to either. Ealy saved that role. If the man playing Lee would've been cast as Justin, the role would've seemed absurd. We just accepted sh!t (like a man having $30 mill) because we liked seeing Ealy kiss and be nasty.
It's why I insist every thread for BET to call me. The current writers don't understand my favorite news anchor thot like I do.
And most importantly, I would've never let Lee happen to y'all or y'all friend MJ.

Clearly the only issue you guys have with Lee is the actor lmao.

Princess Jazzy

Reaction score
Reactions
87,957 1,984 384
Alleybux
Clearly the only issue you guys have with Lee is the actor lmao.

Clearly you do too. You ignored all of our critique on plot and characterization and focused on finger-in-the-booty. Lol. Shame me all you want. I'on care. The writers and casting personnel were dead wrong for subjecting loyal viewers to the Lee era. If Ealy, Morris, or Chestnut ever let's a woman peg them onscreen, they're losing a fan too. That was so sh!tty. Pun intended.

Baely

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I was listening to one of the online shows that discuss BMJ after each episode and they said that there would be a season five...
oh that's great news! while we had the best relationship storyline so far for mj I expect the writers to be all over the place if we move into "mj is not single but moving into engaged life" phase. there will be more to explore but they'll need to bring the other storylines with her fam and with Kara more and we know those have been a mess the last season...
a big part of this past season was work drama that made the show interesting and I doubt Justin will stay involved in the work drama unless he takes an EP job at a rival show...that would make for an interesting plot. then we'd be back at Kara/MJ vs. Justin and how can mj balance her professional and personal priorities and would Justin be ok with stabbing them both in the back professionally while keeping it nice in the home-life with his fiance...

Elle Vee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
2,006 85 77
Alleybux
Clearly you do too. You ignored all of our critique on plot and characterization and focused on finger-in-the-booty. Lol. Shame me all you want. I'on care. The writers and casting personnel were dead wrong for subjecting loyal viewers to the Lee era. If Ealy, Morris, or Chestnut ever let's a woman peg them onscreen, they're losing a fan too. That was so sh!tty. Pun intended.
I'm sorry that was so traumatic for you, hun.

ibgmdfn5edzvypg3kep.gif

Reaction score
Reactions
3,715 47 20
Alleybux
MJ definitely needs girlfriends. No way a woman of her status didn't have an old college/neighborhood/family friend who lives in NYC, who would've invited MJ out for drinks to introduce her to a new group of ladies to hang with after work/weekends. I'm fine with her friendship with Kara, but MJ needs neutral friends. They would've dragged her for booty popping Lee.

Justin suggested L.A. is interested in him if he didn't get the EP gig. Was that a play for her vote (I believe he knew she had the deciding vote)? Does his proposal mean he's not going to consider that gig now? Will he take the gig and eventually lure MJ out there with a bigger and better gig for her?

The Patterson family drama was messy. Thank you for the aged eye candy, but come on! Did we miss where PJ left the country? He hasn't even been mentioned, never mind being seen. What's the point of showing MJ's family if she's not involved? When she lived in ATL they stayed calling her, coming over, pulling her in to help solve or offer something. They could've shown her distressed over her parents. Even better would've been to have Niecy move to NY and still be messy and misguided while living with MJ. Being Mary Jane means having to juggle family and career (at least in the first 2 seasons). She's been disconnected from her family emotionally this season.

ASHyouWERE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,960 1,718 1,254
Alleybux
MJ definitely needs girlfriends. No way a woman of her status didn't have an old college/neighborhood/family friend who lives in NYC, who would've invited MJ out for drinks to introduce her to a new group of ladies to hang with after work/weekends. I'm fine with her friendship with Kara, but MJ needs neutral friends. They would've dragged her for booty popping Lee.

Justin suggested L.A. is interested in him if he didn't get the EP gig. Was that a play for her vote (I believe he knew she had the deciding vote)? Does his proposal mean he's not going to consider that gig now? Will he take the gig and eventually lure MJ out there with a bigger and better gig for her?

The Patterson family drama was messy. Thank you for the aged eye candy, but come on! Did we miss where PJ left the country? He hasn't even been mentioned, never mind being seen. What's the point of showing MJ's family if she's not involved? When she lived in ATL they stayed calling her, coming over, pulling her in to help solve or offer something. They could've shown her distressed over her parents. Even better would've been to have Niecy move to NY and still be messy and misguided while living with MJ. Being Mary Jane means having to juggle family and career (at least in the first 2 seasons). She's been disconnected from her family emotionally this season.

The family is now time filler. It seems to me that they didn't want to pay Gabby for being in most of the episodes so they cut her time short. What is interesting is that she is suing because they now want to extend the seasons to try to cut into her money. The show is about Mary Jane; without Mary Jane, her family doesn't even need to be shown.

Grand Puma

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
92,747 3,837 2,686
Alleybux

James Earl Jones!

Grand Puma

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
92,747 3,837 2,686
Alleybux

End rant.

I agree except the GDU is not hard-hitting, it is the usual morning fluff. Her ATL show was more topical hard news