Quantcast

Best Hair Options for a Caribbean Beach Vacation?

booknlooks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
178,055 5,722 2,288
Alleybux
I don't want to deal with my natural hair while I'm on vacation and I'm debating on what style to get.

Love this box braid look with the blue splashes but not sure if I want to sit for hours getting box braids done. It's been awhile
Samantha-J-2-696x696.jpg

I saw alot of people doing feed in cornrows which look amazing on me but how do they hold up during the week while getting wet?

ghana-braids.png

goddess-braids.jpg

Jobxgrl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,212 238 79
Alleybux
Go with the cornrows. Swimming/ water activities are such a task with braids, they get so heavy with the water.

Scorpion

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,662 2,744 452
Alleybux
A3B8896C-C50E-48E2-AB78-5C149D22D9C7.jpeg

I'm planning to do these with hair added. I don't wanna spend the time or money on box braids.

booknlooks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
178,055 5,722 2,288
Alleybux
Go with the cornrows. Swimming/ water activities are such a task with braids, they get so heavy with the water.
But do the cornrows stay well throughout a week and a half of water activities? Because when I did them I didn't like how they were fuzzing in places week 2 without water. And I'll be getting them done the week prior.

Scorpion

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,662 2,744 452
Alleybux
I want to do this but I'm still trying to grow out my edges from last year's box braids...never again.
Another thing I'm scared of. I have fragile edges. I'm hoping some edge control will take care of the breakage I have at my temples.

Have you been using JBCO on your edges?

powderpuff

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
125,552 1,735 1,118
Alleybux
Another thing I'm scared of. I have fragile edges. I'm hoping some edge control will take care of the breakage I have at my temples.

I need to use it consistently. I've been using Wild Growth Oil after moisturizing with Better Braids spray. That's been working but I'm afraid to put any stress on my edges. JBCO seems to get the best reviews so I'll retry.

Scorpion

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,662 2,744 452
Alleybux
I need to use it consistently. I've been using Wild Growth Oil after moisturizing with Better Braids spray. That's been working but I'm afraid to put any stress on my edges.
How long were your braids in? Or was it just too tight?! Recovery is a b!tch. Smh. (n)

powderpuff

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
125,552 1,735 1,118
Alleybux
How long were your braids in? Or was it just too tight?! Recovery is a b!tch. Smh. (n)
6 weeks but I started trying to take some out the day after getting them (I know, I should've gone back) but my regular braider was on bed rest so I went to one of the braid salons...never again!

S O S Y E

Quote me if you want to, I promise you Ioncurr
Reaction score
Reactions
299,839 6,712 1,091
Alleybux
If you’re going to get braids, just wear your natural hair down there and get someone to do them in the Caribbean. The last time I went to Jamaica I got Marley Twists for US$30, and the lady knew what she was doing! She didn’t braid too tight and my head didn’t hurt at all.

The only thing is she tried to read me for filth when I asked her not to eat shrimp around me because I’m allergic!

Reaction score
Reactions
8,440 213 32
Alleybux
Crochet locs!!! Some are heavy though so watch videos to see which are lightweight. I know that Freetress Bo Locs and Nu Locs and also Zury Goddess Braid Locs are very lightweight.

Or just regular crochet hair too. Some don't do well with swimming. I've used Model Model Brazilian braid, Freetress Deep twist, Kima 125 Ocean Wave have all held up in the water. I'll link a video from Lia who did a good video on hairs to swim in.

Swan

Secular Woman
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
400,029 5,387 939
Alleybux
Any of these styles would work well for the climate, but imo It depends on the length of your trip. I'd go with the box braids or crochet locs as @Talktalk1107 suggested. More variety and they last longer.

Jobxgrl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,212 238 79
Alleybux
But do the cornrows stay well throughout a week and a half of water activities? Because when I did them I didn't like how they were fuzzing in places week 2 without water. And I'll be getting them done the week prior.

I found them to be so easy, just squeeze out excess water, they dry faster than braids, and neater for me.

Crotchet braids are the worst for water, they are soooo heavy and they take days to dry. I went snorkeling earlier this year and i got a headache after a while cus it was soooo heavy, felt like my hair was pulling out from my scalp. Horrible

Alexan12

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,815 58 27
Alleybux
Any kind of braids work, just don't do frontals lol

ETA: @gracie13 skeptical all you want. I've lived in the Caribbean all my life.

Last edited:

cyber

your butt is mine...
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
120,335 3,097 1,137
Alleybux
Thanks for this thread, OP, as I have the same question! I currently have on Nu Locs using the Jazz Nicole method. While these may be lightweight, there is NO way I’m wearing them on vacay. They are tangly, frizzy w/o water after 1 week! Also, the ends of my hair are curling out of these locs. I’m going with traditional faux locs that I will install in mid July for my trip in mid August...I’ve had them before..tho heavy at first, I was co-washing weekly after a month & my locs looked freakin awesome! I cannot/will not deal with my natural hair on vacay & damn sure not gonna be bothered with crochet anything..

Fieryearth

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,220 941 609
Alleybux
What about senagalese twists? They’ll be lighter than the braids... not sure how they will hold up in the water tho

Or you can do box braids with large/triangle parts

booknlooks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
178,055 5,722 2,288
Alleybux
If you’re going to get braids, just wear your natural hair down there and get someone to do them in the Caribbean. The last time I went to Jamaica I got Marley Twists for US$30, and the lady knew what she was doing! She didn’t braid too tight and my head didn’t hurt at all.

The only thing is she tried to read me for filth when I asked her not to eat shrimp around me because I’m allergic!
I was thinking of that but I don't want to waste my precious vacation time getting them done. The last time I was done there I had a cousin do my braids.But I didn't get to go around and see places that I wanted to see.

booknlooks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
178,055 5,722 2,288
Alleybux
I found them to be so easy, just squeeze out excess water, they dry faster than braids, and neater for me.

Crotchet braids are the worst for water, they are soooo heavy and they take days to dry. I went snorkeling earlier this year and i got a headache after a while cus it was soooo heavy, felt like my hair was pulling out from my scalp. Horrible
Really when I did crotchet braids during the winter I washed a couple of times while in the shower when I had them in and nothing was pulling for me and they dried in a few hours. How did yours take days to dry?

I did these twists
twistlarge.jpg

MintTea

:D
Reaction score
Reactions
67,209 1,173 81
Alleybux
Damn, op I was gonna post something like this cause I'm having that issue right now. I was thinking of goddess braids. Just 4 big ones.

Jobxgrl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,212 238 79
Alleybux
Really when I did crotchet braids during the winter I washed a couple of times while in the shower when I had them in and nothing was pulling for me and they dried in a few hours. How did yours take days to dry? I did these twists

Oh i did these but in black
B_3s_box_braid1_270.jpg
They just took longer to dry and my own roots were still wet wen i went to bed despite being in the sun for hours.
I've never tried the two strand twist, maybe they're lighter. I'm just speaking from my experience, i wld go with cornrows cus i live on the beach and pool. The crotchet although mad cute, is a hassle for ME.

Reaction score
Reactions
8,440 213 32
Alleybux
^ I did the box braids crochet for a cruise and boy oh boy, I was about to get whip lash. They were too heavy after swimming and they did take about 2 days to dry.

With faux locs, as long as they are hollow and very light weight they will dry quick. They will be a little heavy full of water, but no where near the box braid style ones.

The only twists I've tried and got wet was;
SENSATIONNEL SYNTHETIC HAIR CROCHET BRAIDS AFRICA SAMBA TWIST BRAID 50
and they were light weight and dried quickly. I'm sure they have other twists that are light weight too, that'll work out.

SunnySideup712

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,467 848 178
Alleybux
you ever try to do box braids yourself?

Britt

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,921 625 112
Alleybux
I would opt for smaller sized cornrows, especially if you're gonna be dousing your head in the water and you have natural hair. You might be able to get away with the cornrows pictured above but don't do the bigger ones. When your natural hair dries in the braid it will fuzz more. The average sized box braids are also really heavy when wet. The best style would be something tight, medium/small sized. In my experience even Senegalese twists are heavy and a pain in the ass when they're soaking wet. Another option might be shorter length marley style/looking twists, something that looks kinda similar to your natural hair. The goal is to get something that won't be too heavy when wet and something that won't show frizz too easily.

MortiestMorty

Resident Pot-Stirrer
Reaction score
Reactions
9,968 75 15
Alleybux
giphy.gif

I’m going to Hawaii in late August/early September and was having the same predicament. Box braids are my usual go-to protective style anyway, but I recently had crochet braids in for the first time and I loved how lightweight they were. The only problem was that I sucked at resetting the hair to get more defined curls. :cry: I don’t/can’t swim so I don’t plan on my head going underwater but who knows.

cdree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,800 307 58
Alleybux
Thanks for this thread, OP, as I have the same question! I currently have on Nu Locs using the Jazz Nicole method. While these may be lightweight, there is NO way I’m wearing them on vacay. They are tangly, frizzy w/o water after 1 week! Also, the ends of my hair are curling out of these locs. I’m going with traditional faux locs that I will install in mid July for my trip in mid August...I’ve had them before..tho heavy at first, I was co-washing weekly after a month & my locs looked freakin awesome! I cannot/will not deal with my natural hair on vacay & damn sure not gonna be bothered with crochet anything..

I'm so glad you posted about the Nu Locs, because I just ordered the Bobbi Boss 14 inch ones. I am a DIY crochet newbie, but my plan is to see how they do as a style next month before going on vacation in August, and I was going to do the Jazz Nicole method. So the ends of your hair are curling out of the Nu Loc? Did you braid all the way down, or start twisting partway through?

ETA: Brand added.

NannyPans

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,289 57 7
Alleybux
Is def get feed ins, but smaller than the ones posted. I think those would get frizzy quickly if you were in water. You can mousse them and tie them down for a while too.

I wouldn’t do crochet or box braids because they would get way too heavy and take too long to dry.

Honestly, if it were me I’d either rock a bun or the smaller feed ins.

cyber

your butt is mine...
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
120,335 3,097 1,137
Alleybux
I'm so glad you posted about the Nu Locs, because I just ordered the Bobbi Boss 14 inch ones. I am a DIY crochet newbie, but my plan is to see how they do as a style next month before going on vacation in August, and I was going to do the Jazz Nicole method. So the ends of your hair are curling out of the Nu Loc? Did you braid all the way down, or start twisting partway through?

ETA: Brand added.

I ordered mine to test for my trip as well! I braided all the way down...yes, my ends are curling out, the braids are threatening to pop all the way out...doesn’t much feel protective with the ends poking thru..i think if your hair is 3 inches or shorter, maybe this style would work better? I co-washed yesterday..now, they are tangly/frizzy/stuck together/unraveling at the ends ughhh..I’ve had them in for 2 weeks..I’m going to do traditional faux’s like
IG: nycfauxlocs...

cdree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,800 307 58
Alleybux
I ordered mine to test for my trip as well! I braided all the way down...yes, my ends are curling out, the braids are threatening to pop all the way out...doesn’t much feel protective with the ends poking thru..i think if your hair is 3 inches or shorter, maybe this style would work better? I co-washed yesterday..now, they are tangly/frizzy/stuck together/unraveling at the ends ughhh..I’ve had them in for 2 weeks..I’m going to do traditional faux’s like
IG: nycfauxlocs...

Ugh that is so disappointing to hear. I've seen some frizz/tangling mentioned, but for you it sounds like it went past the "looking more natural" stage and just didn't look as fresh anymore. My own hair is longer than 3 inches, and I was gonna try the braid beginning/twist ending, but maybe I should try this with regular crochet vs individual, if the ends won't stay put. Since I bought the hair, I am gonna try it out, but will definitely keep your experience in mind. How many packs did you use?

Totally bookmarked that IG you linked. Thanks!

cyber

your butt is mine...
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
120,335 3,097 1,137
Alleybux
Ugh that is so disappointing to hear. I've seen some frizz/tangling mentioned, but for you it sounds like it went past the "looking more natural" stage and just didn't look as fresh anymore. My own hair is longer than 3 inches, and I was gonna try the braid beginning/twist ending, but maybe I should try this with regular crochet vs individual, if the ends won't stay put. Since I bought the hair, I am gonna try it out, but will definitely keep your experience in mind. How many packs did you use?

I think I used 2.5 packs...i love tha IG girls work!

cdree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,800 307 58
Alleybux

An update! I used the hair. Individual crochet around the perimeter, traditional crochet in the middle. The individual part took me forever. FOREVER. I'm not even a strong cornrower, but the braiding and the crocheting took wayyy less time. Took me a while to figure out how to slightly unravel the hair in order to wrap it around my own (for the individuals). I watched YT videos the whole time and came across one where it was recommended to use one's nail to open the loc. That was a gem!

It's holding up pretty well, two weeks on. A little frizzy but not in a bad way, just natural. It looks very believable and the style continues to garner compliments. My own hair has only tried to make an appearance from the locs twice. The first one was up front so I redid it and it has stayed put. The second one, my hair is only peeking out a little, and frankly I feel like you'd have to be looking for it (like I was), and it's not a strong color difference, so I left it alone.

I would be willing to use the hair again (Bobbi Boss Nu Locs) but only for full crochet. It's not easy to work with for the individual crochet because it's so tightly wound. My next style, in two more weeks, will be with the FreeTress 2x Bo Locs 14" in OT30.

bookworm999

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,123 161 281
Alleybux
Try crochet weave. I have on freetress bohemian hair. When I got out of the shower after washing my hair, it wet actually look pretty sexy. I'm going to turks and caicos in two weeks and i'll hold up. Shake n go hair is DESIGNED to get wet.
Box braids are pretty but they take mad long to install, you don't wanna sit in a chair for a few hours straight. Maybe I'll do the crochet method but I don't know of they can wet or not.
Cornrows are okay but IDK with all the water activities you'll be doing.

bookworm999

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,123 161 281
Alleybux

Where did you go, in town or at your resort?