Quantcast

BET Taps Will Packer, Erica Shelton Kodish to Take Over 'Being Mary Jane

Robyn McCall

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,190 772 41
Alleybux
BET has set a new leadership team for Being Mary Jane. The cable network's flagship drama, thrown a bit of a curveball by creators and executive producers Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil leaving for a production deal at Warner Bros. TV, welcomes Will Packer and Erica Shelton Kodish for the upcoming fourth season.

The Akils' departure was one reason why the network waited a little longer than normal to confirm the fourth season, said BET Networks president of programming Stephen Hill: “Being Mary Jane is full of characters and stories about which BET viewers are passionate. We knew it would take special talent to further this very important mission, and we’re lucky to have found them in this dynamic duo. Will’s a master producer and storyteller, and Erica is a dynamic writer whose experience in developing complex, multidimensional women makes her the ideal scribe to continue Mary Jane’s journey. We look forward to sharing this next chapter of the series with our audience.”

Per the setup, Packer will now serve as executive producer. His deep roster at the moment also includes A&E's anticipated Roots reboot, the Ride Along and Think Like a Man films, and upcoming ABC comedy Uncle Buck. Erica Shelton Kodish, fresh off of the final season of The Good Wife, joins as showrunner and executive producer. Being Mary Jane still counts star Gabrielle Union and the Akils as executive producers as well.

“It's an amazing time to be involved in producing great television, and this is the rare opportunity to work with Gab, who I think is one of the best actresses doing it today, whom I also consider family," said Packer. "BET is a tremendous partner, and Erica has the perfect skill set to handle a show of this magnitude."

“I’m honored to have an opportunity to partner with Will Packer, Gabrielle Union, and BET to create stories for Being Mary Jane,” added by Erica Shelton Kodish. “Mara Brock Akil has created a show that has a unique ability to address issues relevant to black women, and I’m thrilled to be in a position to tell those stories.”

Packer is repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham. Shelton Kodish is at CAA, with Helena Heyman at Industry Entertainment, and attorney Bruce Gellman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/being-mary-jane-names-new-896684

Crown Royal

On Ice Baby
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
85,657 3,443 2,019
Alleybux
Same thing happened with The Game..if it isn't broke DON'T FIX IT

And I love Will's fine ass but NOOOOOOOOOOOO

nativedr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
12,699 195 85
Alleybux
I had issues with the last 3-4 episodes of the last season and didn't watch so this is a welcome change for me. Let's see what these new folks can do.
they better give cuddy buddy better roles, I'm still mad at the stereotypical dumb jock role they gave him along with all the negative connotation. Give brotherman a decent role, they bypass him to give that white man a story which made no damn sense whatsoever.

do better

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,938 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
I take it that BET blocked Mara from taking "Being Mary Jane" with her to the WB network????

AutumnShadow

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,819 794 154
Alleybux
I take it that BET blocked Mara from taking "Being Mary Jane" with her to the WB network????

If BET know better, I'm sure they did. BMJ is really the only good show on the network. Every other new original programming they have come out with has been subpar at best. Losing BMJ may mean losing viewers for the network

12Solace

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
125,602 4,416 524
Alleybux
Good. There is a lack of continuity in Being Mary Jane that is jarring for me as a viewer.

I'm done with the tall lightskin phukboi being worked into every storyline and if I wanted to see black people being extorted I'd turn on one of those celeb judge shows.

Don't even get me started on the hispanic melodrama.

Like Empire, they need to refocus this show. The first season was amazing.

Kammy_Kakes

Flight Attendant Bae
Reaction score
Reactions
209,828 8,191 6,493
Alleybux
im tired of the damn akils dipping on their sh!t! i mean get money but damn...

The Game tanked once it hit BET. Now BMJ. Its such a good show even tho Gab acts the same way in every role..lol it was a good show that related to a lot black women..

ill still give it a try... but i damn

DreamyDivine

Making Disco Trap
Reaction score
Reactions
90,515 1,801 2,151
Alleybux
Good. There is a lack of continuity in Being Mary Jane that is jarring for me as a viewer.

I'm done with the tall lightskin phukboi being worked into every storyline and if I wanted to see hispanic melodrama being played out I'd turn on a Telenovela.

Like Empire, they need to refocus this show.

If you're describing David, perfect description lol. I been over him.

Much2much41

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,444 694 75
Alleybux
I'll reserve judgment until I see a few episodes, because "The Good Wife" was excellent

Aalijah Ali

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,848 85 89
Alleybux
I had issues with the last 3-4 episodes of the last season and didn't watch so this is a welcome change for me. Let's see what these new folks can do.
they better give cuddy buddy better roles, I'm still mad at the stereotypical dumb jock role they gave him along with all the negative connotation. Give brotherman a decent role, they bypass him to give that white man a story which made no damn sense whatsoever.

do better

^^^ THIS. I didn't really care for last season and didn't finish it out. I feel like this series needs to wrap unless MJ does some serious growing up. I was always more interesting in the other characters than MJ herself.

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,938 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
Yes, it is. The light skin black woman (Cush Jumbo) on that show is actually a Nigerian Brit. Her accent is thick. I was surprised when I met her at the Tribeca Film Festival a few weeks ago. The "Good Wife" cast showed up to talk about memories and give a clue into the finale. I thought the show was well written. I didn't realize it was on for seven seasons.

I'll reserve judgment until I see a few episodes, because "The Good Wife" was excellent

CarmenJonesGal

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
367,591 10,222 2,157
Alleybux
This is utterly disappointing. Mara's writing just spoke to my soul and last season was some of the best writing ever. It was special...
Looking at the new producers work I already know what to expect next season. (dust off the tap shoes and foolishness). Hopefully the actors will fight for the integrity of the show and try to retain Mara's vision.
Damn..

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,938 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
True. But that's the brainchild of Mara and her hubby, Salim. Seriously, who the heck are their attorneys? They should have negotiated something where they get to leave with the show if they leave the network or BET pays them an astronomical amount to keep said body of work. That's crazy because the show is actually memorable unlike a lot of the garbage on TV today. I was at first apprehensive with the whole turkey baster thing; but I've looked beyond it and see there's a gem here.

If BET know better, I'm sure they did. BMJ is really the only good show on the network. Every other new original programming they have come out with has been subpar at best. Losing BMJ may mean losing viewers for the network

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,938 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
If Will backs off and lets Erica write, it should be okay. Erica also did "Hawthorne" and "Cold Case" so she's familiar with showing multifaceted characters beyond the slapstick rhetoric.

This is utterly disappointing. Mara's writing just spoke to my soul and last season was some of the best writing ever. It was special...
Looking at the new producers work I already know what to expect next season. (dust off the tap shoes and foolishness). Hopefully the actors will fight for the integrity of the show and try to retain Mara's vision.
Damn..

Pose

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
47,063 2,331 604
Alleybux
Mara touched on a lot of important topics in BMJ. I guess now the show is going to be more fast-paced, less weighty drama. That's what the viewers are drawn to anyway. I'm familiar with Erica and Will Packer's work, so hopefully the show is good. I'm not giving up on it yet.

CarmenJonesGal

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
367,591 10,222 2,157
Alleybux
If Will backs off and lets Erica write, it should be okay. Erica also did "Hawthorne" and "Cold Case" so she's familiar with showing multifaceted characters beyond the slapstick rhetoric.

Okay, I did LOVE the first few seasons of Hawthorne.

Angela Davis

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
41,217 520 66
Alleybux

I haven't seen The Good Wife (heard great things about it), but after checking imdb it looks like she either wrote and/or produced some of my favorite Cold Case episodes so I'm actually excited about this.

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,938 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
"Cold Case" was one of the best cop dramas CBS has ever had. The concept was unique ---the merging of the past with the current. Every episode was well written.

I haven't seen The Good Wife (heard great things about it), but after checking imdb it looks like she either wrote and/or produced some of my favorite Cold Case episodes so I'm actually excited about this.

Aalijah Ali

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,848 85 89
Alleybux
Okay, I did LOVE the first few seasons of Hawthorne.

Well you loved the entire series because there were only 3 seasons LOL.

I enjoyed the 3rd season a lot Jada and Marc had some serious xesual chemistry. I hate it ended.

just11412

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
179,145 3,085 528
Alleybux
you are right. being mary jane is the only reason i watch bet. they hit the jackpot with that.

and mara and salim are leaving. what the hell? i don't have a good feeling about this but we will see.

and i can't believe they are going back to the WB. the same WB who gave up on them and got rid of the game. hmph. i mean good luck to them with that of course but i hope they got some iron clad contracts. and i wonder what type of content they will be bringing and how it will fit in with the WB. the WB was mostly superhero and scifi for awhile after one tree hill left. now its still mostly that but they have jane the virgin and crazy ex girlfriend so.

CA Girl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
570,641 106,086 7,275
Alleybux
BET does it again. They always find a way to ruin their own shows. First BET destroys The Game and now this.

Elle Vee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
2,006 85 77
Alleybux
Season 3 was an improvement from season 2, but I kinda welcome this. Hopefully they can write MJ out of this box they've written her into.