Quantcast

Better Singer: Whitney, Beyonce, or Mariah?

Better Singer

• Beyonce

• Mariah

• Whitney

Results are only viewable after voting.

More Chick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
123,268 6,406 1,980
Alleybux
Whitney, Whitney, Whitney. Her clarity, strength, vibrato; how she’d switch from chest to head voice then smile with such a humble confidence cuz she knew she snatched your soul. She was absolutely MAGICAL.

What a dead on way to describe Whitney’s voice.

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
Absolutely. Many of Whitney’s songs are dated and boring to me today. Mariah’s songwriting is so vastly superior to Whitney’s material, and takes you on a personal journey with her over the years. She’s also much more versatile…adult contemporary, hip hop, pop, R&B, Christmas, gospel. Whitney was unfortunately put in a box when her voice was in its prime in the 80s, where they had her dressing like an old lady, and singing like one too.

Whitney’s live performances are unparalleled, though, and always SO much more interesting than her recordings. She never sang a song the same way twice. (Kinda opposite of Mariah whose best work is her albums while her live performances are awful.) And I personally feel Whitney’s voice was its best in gospel.
You obviously don't know Whitney's discography.

Whitney did a GOSPEL album called "The Preacher's Wife Soundtrack". Her version of "I Love the Lord" is played often in churches.

Whitney also did hip hop first with her song, "My Name is Not Susan".

Whitney had Christmas songs featured on her gospel album (Who Would Imagine a King, Joy).

The Bodyguard Soundtrack was Adult Contemporary, and the best selling album by a female artist of all time (I Will Always Love You, Run to You, I Have Nothing)

Whitney's album, "My Love is Your Love" is an R&B album.

Whitney's music is more respected than Mariah's.

Whitney is in:
-The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
-The Grammy Hall of Fame (which inducts music, not artists)
-The National Recording Registry (which inducts music of historical
significance)
-The R&B Hall of Fame

Mariah hasn't been NOMINATED for any of those Hall of Fames nor has her music been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame or National Recording Registry (maybe she will one day).

You can prefer Mariah's music, but don't lie on Whitney's discography. If you don't know Whitney's catalogue, then just say so.

@The Standard you see what this person wrote about Whitney's catalogue? SMH

Yonce PR

Chicks suffering from DC PTSD like it’s 1998
Reaction score
Reactions
196,432 6,203 3,900
Alleybux
No, it isn't at all actually.
Beyoncé consistently hits #C6’s night after night in concert and they’re talking about she has a limited range. There’s been constant controversy on whether she’s actually a lyric soprano because of her ability of such a high range.

They claim B has no power yet in the same breath state she’s a Mezzo, a vocal type that is known for having powerful quality.

It’s obvious people aren’t well versed with Beyoncé’s abilities or are bootleg vocal experts. That’s why I’ve barely posted videos trying to prove anything to them.

Yonce PR

Chicks suffering from DC PTSD like it’s 1998
Reaction score
Reactions
196,432 6,203 3,900
Alleybux
Everyone is entitled to their opinion

But then there are the facts

Beyonce for instance has close to the same vocal range as Whitney

Beyonce's voice is also very agile ....she has power..etc

Ok, you may not believe she deserves to be mentioned with the greats. But for a lot of you to argue something like she lacks range leads me to believe you either dont know much about singing or you're being objective
Within the vocal community Beyoncé’s abilities are acknowledged and respected. You don’t have to do all that work, especially if the people you are speaking to likely don’t have knowledge of vocal pedagogy. It’s a waste. The fact people even tried to come for Mariah Carey is telling.

However people personally feel about Beyoncé’s tone doesn’t negate the quality of it. So people mentioning this aspect as why others are superior to her is plain stupidity.

Nobody on this board with their supposed musical knowledge will change what the experts who’ve studied for years have documented on her. Like I said before to put in perspective the range of her talent the fact only three (possibly four) people have properly executed the extremely difficult technique of messa di voice Mariah, Whitney and...Beyoncé speaks for itself. And she did it at 21.

Beyoncé was even labeled ‘the queen of dynamics’ by a well respected person within the vocal community. A title that commentators agreed was very deserved.

This thread was very insightful though. It explain a lot of why I see what I do now.

Last edited: