Quantcast

UPDATE Biden’s first time home buyer program - offers up to $25,000 in down payment assistance for racial minorities

Giggles2cute

Keeping it gully 24/7
Reaction score
Reactions
16,970 1,795 2,294
Alleybux
This is honestly pretty good and definitely helps black folks. Do you think it will actually pass? I’m buying a home and need that $$$$ please Biden! Lololol I’m not crazy about it being just for first generation home buyers because it should be for first time home buyers period but whatever as a black woman I’ll still 5k towards closing costs.

Thoughts?!:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Andre1984

moaning in potato raisin ecstasy
Reaction score
Reactions
340,882 37,808 8,927
Alleybux
This is honestly pretty good and definitely helps black folks. Do you think it will actually pass? I’m buying a home and need that $$$$ please Biden! Lololol I’m not crazy about it being just for first generation home buyers because it should be for first time home buyers period but whatever as a black woman I’ll still 5k towards closing costs.

Looks they're still discussing what should be in the bill in the House? Since they'll be holding a hearing on it. Maxine is chair of the committee.

On Wednesday, lawmakers published a draft version of the legislation, the “Downpayment Toward Equity Act of 2021,” ahead of a hearing held by the U.S. House Committee on Financial Services, which Rep. Maxine Waters chairs. During the hearing, lawmakers discussed a number of housing measures on the table in President Biden’s infrastructure package, including funding to shore up public housing.

The proposed down payment assistance would be means-tested based on income, and limited to those who have not owned a house for at least three years. To qualify, neither of the borrower’s parents may have owned a home. That qualification doesn’t apply if the borrowers’ parents lost their home in a foreclosure or short sale, or if the borrower has ever been in foster care, however.

Borrowers who make no more than 120% of the area median income where they live — or if they live in a high-cost area, 180% — would qualify for a baseline of $20,000. Those recognized as socially disadvantaged, because they are in a group that has been “subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice,” could receive an additional $5,000.

Andre1984

Reaction score
Reactions
340,882 37,808 8,927
Alleybux

They're is also discussion if it should be standalone or wrapped into the Infrastructure Bill.

They don't want to overheat the housing market by driving up prices based on this legislation.

That's why it's means tested.

And I think they want to couple it with more housing units getting built.

NZURI

Delete Account
Reaction score
Reactions
257,693 8,171 8,001
Alleybux
It’s pretty fµcked up buyers are disqualified if their parents ever owned a home, and there should be no income requirements that exclude the middle class. This sh!t is clearly for immigrants.

AnoynDub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
53,267 4,127 1,653
Alleybux
It’s pretty fµcked up buyers are disqualified if their parents ever owned a home, and there should be no income requirements that exclude the middle class. This sh!t is clearly for immigrants.
Immigrants??? Lol, so many black Americans have never owned a home or come from families that have never owned lol. This will be very beneficial towards the Black American community. Most of the immigrants I know, Hispanic/Caribbean are home owners.

SheSheWright

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
58,210 1,822 2,367
Alleybux
This is not about or going to help black people.

This is targeted specifically to immigrants, anyone saying anything else is delusional.

And to think: black people flipped states to put them in office swearing up and down he was going to increase black homeownership. Then he writes legislation that excludes you specifically.

SheSheWright

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
58,210 1,822 2,367
Alleybux
BIDEN PROMISED YOU INCREASED HOMEOWNERSHIP AND IS NOW PASSING LEGISLATION THAT SAYS THAT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE ROUGLY HALF OF BLACK AMERICANS WHO OWN A HOME YOU DO NOT QUALIFY. HE DID THIS KNOWING THAT YOU STILL HAVE LESS ACCESS TO CAPITAL. HE DID THIS KNOWING THAT YOU STILL HAVE HIGHER INTEREST RATES AND DEBT. HE DID THIS KNOWING THAT BLACK AMERICANS SPECIFICALLY ALREADY FACE A SHORTAGE OF AFFORDABLE HOMES AND PAY AN AVERAGE 13K MORE PER HOME SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK.

WWWWWAAAAAAKKKKKEEEE UUUUUPPPPP!!!!!!!

megaevolvedthot

pretty little risky baddie
Reaction score
Reactions
50,074 625 185
Alleybux
I’ve got to say, I feel a way about that provision about parents owning homes. My (and many others like me) parents and grandparents bought and paid for their homes at a time when it was actually feasible for them to do so. Why should their children be disqualified from this program when the economic landscape is much different?

I disagree however about this being geared toward immigrants as there are many black families in this county that have never owned homes at all.

Cleanndirty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,655 291 73
Alleybux
Damn. I feel sorry for you Americans. Honestly, a country so ahead but so behind in other areas (not that any country is perfect)

Here is Canada everyone gets a first time home buyers assistance/payment reduction. I’m sure they’re exceptions but still. Also, our housing market is expensive AF especially in the major cities

ETA: stop quoting me. Never did I say Canada is perfect or better in anyway. As I stated, We have our own issues. All I was talking about and comparing was our housing market. Owning a home is hard no matter where you live and getting assistance from the government is encouraged all around.

Last edited:

chatflix

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,951 262 189
Alleybux
How about they give the people of poverty enough money to purchase a home with no stipulations??? If you mess the money up that's on you & you get no more. It's always some complicated sh!t they have to agree on every time it's time to give. $250,000 given with no credit score situation. Simple sh!t like that! We already saw their budget and how money was being outsourced. Bring it back to the people who actually need it in their own country for fairness and equality.

Last edited:

ChanelNo.5

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,635 863 758
Alleybux
This is some bµllsh!t.
How are you gonna disqualify people for sh!t out of their control?
What does my parents purchasing a house when I was 5 years old have to do with me at 28 wanting to buy my first home?

talking2much

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
227,895 5,300 768
Alleybux
So only people with parents who rented their entire lives qualify? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. In CA especially people need this as homes are hard to acquire here. They need to take that part out because it's going to disqualify a lof of people.

Cafe au lait

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
118,443 4,538 6,628
Alleybux
BIDEN PROMISED YOU INCREASED HOMEOWNERSHIP AND IS NOW PASSING LEGISLATION THAT SAYS THAT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE ROUGLY HALF OF BLACK AMERICANS WHO OWN A HOME YOU DO NOT QUALIFY. HE DID THIS KNOWING THAT YOU STILL HAVE LESS ACCESS TO CAPITAL. HE DID THIS KNOWING THAT YOU STILL HAVE HIGHER INTEREST RATES AND DEBT. HE DID THIS KNOWING THAT BLACK AMERICANS SPECIFICALLY ALREADY FACE A SHORTAGE OF AFFORDABLE HOMES AND PAY AN AVERAGE 13K MORE PER HOME SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK.

So only people with parents who rented their entire lives qualify? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. In CA especially people need this as homes are hard to acquire here. They need to take that part out because it's going to disqualify a lof of people.

This is some bµllsh!t.
What does my parents purchasing a house when I was 5 years old have to do with me at 28 wanting to buy my first home?

Looks they're still discussing what should be in the bill in the House? Since they'll be holding a hearing on it. Maxine is chair of the committee.

On Wednesday, lawmakers published a draft version of the legislation, the “Downpayment Toward Equity Act of 2021,” ahead of a hearing held by the U.S. House Committee on Financial Services, which Rep. Maxine Waters chairs.

draft​

[ draft, drahft ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for: draft / drafted / drafting on Thesaurus.com

noun​

1. a drawing, sketch, or design.

2. a first or preliminary form of any writing, subject to revision, copying, etc.

Andre1984

Reaction score
Reactions
340,882 37,808 8,927
Alleybux

This is targeted specifically to immigrants, anyone saying anything else is delusional.

And to think: black people flipped states to put them in office swearing up and down he was going to increase black homeownership. Then he writes legislation that excludes you specifically.

You sound angry.
And incapable of reading.

Nobody said this was legislation that Biden was passing.

This is draft legislation being discussed and there will be a hearing on in a House Committee.

During the hearing, lawmakers discussed a number of housing measures on the table in President Biden’s infrastructure package,

Do you see that word number?

Before you go off and start ranting again actually go and read the infrastructure package.

Cafe au lait

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
118,443 4,538 6,628
Alleybux
You sound angry.
And incapable of reading.

Nobody said this was legislation that Biden was passing.

This is draft legislation being discussed and there will be a hearing on in a House Committee.

Do you see that word number?

Before you go off and start ranting again actually go and read the infrastructure package.

Angry Trump voter

DolceDiva

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,362 2,853 865
Alleybux
That’s messed up when some of the regular 1st time home buyer programs are open to people buying home if they haven’t purchased or owned a home in the last 5 years.

Queena

Queena.
Reaction score
Reactions
26,823 1,032 1,423
Alleybux

Biden doesn't write bills. My God do you people even know how government works?

Kateye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,911 516 235
Alleybux
I’ve got to say, I feel a way about that provision about parents owning homes. My (and many others like me) parents and grandparents bought and paid for their homes at a time when it was actually feasible for them to do so. Why should their children be disqualified from this program when the economic landscape is much different?

I disagree however about this being geared toward immigrants as there are many black families in this county that have never owned homes at all.
I applied as a first-time home buyer and wasn't a good experience. I couldn't find a reasonable price home in DC and now back to square one. Smh

chatflix

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,951 262 189
Alleybux
This is some bµllsh!t.
Making it complicated for people like I said!

Champagne44

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
311,746 5,059 443
Alleybux
Yall literally sitting here all outraged and excluding yall selves doing the work for them.

If homeownership is important to you, still apply for the program even if u dont meet the qualifications. Let them tell u No. Stop telling yourselves no.

U might get lucky and find someone who will find u a loophole and work for you and with you. U may not get the full closing cost, but the loophole so u get half.

Sometimes u have to bend the world to your will.

Apply for the job you under qualified for.
Ask for more money on the loan than u need.
Ask out that person who u think might be out of ur league.

Apply for that biden program even if everyone in ur family own homes.

Stop selling urself short. Let them tell u no.instead of telling urself no.

Yes rejection sucks, but everything in life is a numbers game. Sooner or later ur number comes up. But u have to keep playing.

LemonShark

Reality Von Tease
Reaction score
Reactions
193,351 14,925 3,744
Alleybux
Both of my parents owned homes, but they have both been deceased for 10+ years. I should be included.
Even if they were alive, they are not financially obligated to give you a dime. So they should not be added onto your financials as an expected contribution. That's a white tradition, not a Black one. It's tone deaf at best, craven at worst, to add that bµllsh!t. It only benefits anchor babies.

REPARATIONS NOW!

Last edited:

LemonShark

Reality Von Tease
Reaction score
Reactions
193,351 14,925 3,744
Alleybux

For "Auntie Maxine" to sit the fµck up and sponsor this with allll the thousands of homeless Black people in her district is unconscionable!

Last edited:

ISaySeaux

John Michael's muse
Reaction score
Reactions
26,896 2,640 159
Alleybux
The article @Andre1984 shared explains that this is for first-time homebuyers but only those who are disadvantaged, first-generation buyers.

I don't agree with their rationale that "those who do not have family members to guide them through applying for a mortgage are less likely to submit themselves to a process that is “rife with fear and dread.”" Most everyone is intimidated by the home-buying process irrespective of whether their parents own property or not.

The article also says money will be handed out to states based on population, median home prices and racial disparities in rate of homeownership.

I wonder if they mean the overall state population or the population of black residents. It's not the same.

States with the highest population:
California, Texas, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania & Illinois

States with the highest black population:
Michigan, Georgia, Maryland, Louisiana, North Carolina & Alabama

Last edited:

Queena

Queena.
Reaction score
Reactions
26,823 1,032 1,423
Alleybux
Instead of patronizing, teach ...how does it work? I know so far that he's commander in chief which means he's responsible for the military, at most. right?
We are all adults holding mini computers in our hands. Google! There is no reason an adult who pays taxes shouldn't know how the government works. It's not my job to teach you. I am not a teacher.

Queena

Queena.
Reaction score
Reactions
26,823 1,032 1,423
Alleybux
THIS IS HIS Program. So he and his people in the White House ARE involved in the crafting of the bill. Do YOU know how legislation is made?
The house, the house writes laws. Once again, you do not know how government works. This hasn't made it out of committee and you're all upset. Stay pressed and pissed, but stop asking me to teach you what you could've learned in the time that you've spent arguing back and forth with me.

UnderstatedBri

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
255,907 4,018 3,156
Alleybux
Even if they were alive, they are not financially obligated to give you a dime. So they should not be added onto you financials as an expected contribution. That's a white tradition not a Black one. It's tone deaf to at best, craven at worst to add that bµllsh!t and only benefits anchor babies.

REPARATIONS NOW!

Yeah, but isn't that how in Western Society generational wealth is built? I know that was a big part of Biden's platform. To get those that were traditionally excluded from home ownership into that process to start being their wealth. Most parents who own homes, do help their kids with their downpayment, by pulling equity from their own homes to help their kids with cost. That already gives their kids a leg up in the homeownership process. If this isn't a prominent tradition with Black ownership, we are the younger generation needs to start making it one. This program won't stop all the barriers and issues into getting access to home ownership, it's helps segment of black people who have never seen home ownership in their family at all.

Anyway the path to increase homeownership is & has always been a multi-prong approach. What they proposed here is 1 approach. There are stats out there that does support some of the criticism that even if black person's parents did own homes, and did received financial help, there were still racial disparities when it come to home ownership"

"Black children, in effect, are less likely to receive financial help in the first place. But even when they do, it doesn't boost their odds of buying a home the same way it does for whites and Hispanics. And this remains true even even when the researchers adjust for differences in parental wealth."

The the committee needs to look at an additional approach that address these racial barriers as well.

Last edited:

Aems

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
175,081 3,911 1,715
Alleybux

Girl, they won't.

Immigrants: +10
Black Americans: -25

And we ain't even 100 days in yet.

LemonShark

Reality Von Tease
Reaction score
Reactions
193,351 14,925 3,744
Alleybux

Immigrants parents by and large have not owned homes in America. But the group who has been here for 400 years has more people who have. Yet, that group who has been here longest needs the most help. Does helping a few people who are Black and 100% of DACA anchor baby immigrants sound fair to you? Does it sound like legislation a man WE are solely responsible for electing, who was in 4th place without us -- should be crafting with Maxine Waters?

Last edited:

LemonShark

Reality Von Tease
Reaction score
Reactions
193,351 14,925 3,744
Alleybux
Girl, they won't.

Immigrants: +10
Black Americans: -25

And we ain't even 100 days in yet.
And yet Black fonts will argue us down to the ground once again blindly caping for their chosen man. NEVER holding that man accountable just fully submitting and giving a Blank check to use the power WE gave to help everyone else right over our wealth position. Here's Maxine Waters district:
https://www.trbimg.com/img-57bf2e41/turbine/la-ol-skid-row-homeless-gentrification-housing-20160825-snap

http://www.takepart.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/LA-SkidRow.jpg

https://abcnews.go.com/images/Health/cb_los_angeles_skid_row_homeless_ll_130222_wblog.jpg

LazyDaisy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
212,330 3,164 1,231
Alleybux

100%

My parents scrimped and saved living in apartments for 15 years before finally purchasing our modest SFH house for $110k. That same neighborhood has more than doubled in the 2 decades we've been living there and I can't afford to purchase anything there. I'm happy their house climbed in value but it means I'm locked out from my own hometown. I never wanted a SFH but townhomes and condos are few and far between in my city and the ones that are here are getting snatched up by landlords, transplants looking for temp housing, or small families lucky enough to afford one before needing more space as their family grows.

I don't want to live in apartments forever but it seems like I might have to or else pick up and relocate some place else. Trying to own a home on a single income is difficult in certain parts of the country, unless you make a sh!t ton of money. I don't make six figures like these rich white 25 year olds who bought their first house at 23 with downpayment assistance from mommy and daddy.

AND HOLD UP! That's another point I want to make. HOW COME WHITE PEOPLE GET TO PROVIDE DOWNPAYMENT ASSISTANCE TO THEIR OFFSPRING BUT THIS PROGRAM IS DESIGNED TO EFFECTIVELY CUT THAT OUT FOR BLACK PEOPLE?! WHITE PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO BUY HOMES BECAUSE OF GENERATIONAL WEALTH, BECAUSE THEIR PARENTS HAVE THE MEANS TO HELP THEM QUALIFY OR AFFORD THEIR HOMES. BUT YOU TELLING ME NOT ONLY HAS THE LANDSCAPE CHANGED BUT THAT MY BLACK PARENTS BEING LUCKY ENOUGH TO OWN A HOME AFTER 15 fµck!ng YEARS OF TRYING AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIES ME FROM ASSISTANCE?!?!?!?!?!

Y'ALL!!!!! MAKE THAT MAKE SENSE!!!!!!!

OH NOW I'M REALLY UPSET!

Andre1984

Reaction score
Reactions
340,882 37,808 8,927
Alleybux
racial disparities in rate of homeownership

I think this also plays a factor?

Also

The 10 states where 60 percent of African Americans resided were: New York, California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, North Carolina, Maryland, Michigan and Louisiana.

States with the highest proportion of black people are all in the south.

And here are the rates of ownership by state

LemonShark

Reality Von Tease
Reaction score
Reactions
193,351 14,925 3,744
Alleybux
AND HOLD UP! That's another point I want to make. HOW COME WHITE PEOPLE GET TO PROVIDE DOWNPAYMENT ASSISTANCE TO THEIR OFFSPRING BUT THIS PROGRAM IS DESIGNED TO EFFECTIVELY CUT THAT OUT FOR BLACK PEOPLE?! WHITE PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO BUY HOMES BECAUSE OF GENERATIONAL WEALTH, BECAUSE THEIR PARENTS HAVE THE MEANS TO HELP THEM QUALIFY OR AFFORD THEIR HOMES. BUT YOU TELLING ME NOT ONLY HAS THE LANDSCAPE CHANGED BUT THAT MY BLACK PARENTS BEING LUCKY ENOUGH TO OWN A HOME AFTER 15 fµck!ng YEARS OF TRYING AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIES ME FROM ASSISTANCE?!?!?!?!?!

Y'ALL!!!!! MAKE THAT MAKE SENSE!!!!!!!

OH NOW I'M REALLY UPSET!
Now you see it. The point is to GUT the Black Middle Class. And replace us with a buffer class of racist immigrants. Law enforcement takes the complaints of property owners differently from renters. Property owners can send their kids through school with HELOCs not predatory school loans. Owners won't be moved out by gentrification. Owners can withstand downturns and not have their lease terminated on a money grubbing OR racist whim. Within 10 years those people will lord over us -- as LANDLORDS, AS THE NEW SMUG MIDDLE CLASS. Then they can behave in the structurally racist ways they do in the countries they come from. 13 million I believe is the amount of illegals Biden wants to make legal and get into homes so they are well secured.....and we are NOT.