Quantcast

Billy Preston [Unsung: Sneak Peek 7/25]

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
The sisters tried but Joyce blocked everything. I went to his funeral and I remember folks were contributing money for his funeral service. I remember Joyce didnt want him to have a funeral but Billy loved church and the gospel scene and it wouldnt have been right to dispose of him away from the black community.
I remember attending Rick James wake and the white mortuary had no clue how to handle black mourners. Women were falling out and there wasnt an usher in sight. I had to turn into an usher helping the crowd.

Marlon12

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
42,762 94 18
Alleybux
He might be Unsung, but a career can really get no better than working with Aretha, Mahalia, Little Richard, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, The Beates, Rolling Stones, etc.

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
I just looked it up and Billy and Sylvester were the exact same age born Sept 1946.

Walter Hawkins

Gospel Singing SongBird
Reaction score
Reactions
29,710 965 26
Alleybux
He might be Unsung, but a career can really get no better than working with Aretha, Mahalia, Little Richard, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, The Beates, Rolling Stones, etc.

I agree and to add Billy Preston co-scored with Quincey
Jones in the music for the movie they Call Me Mr Tibbs(starrring)Sidney
Poitier(1970) Then the sequel to the tv Series The Heat of the Night
and then he Joined Sly Stone (who was a dear friend) to play sessions
On Sly 1971 album Their a Riot Going On..

hE PLAYED ON SESSION WITH Aretha FRANKLIN & Baraba Streisand
and Bob Dylan...I really thought Quincey , Aretha ,Sidney Poitier would
of been speaking out on his UNSung..The Late Mile Davis even named an
instrumental tune after Billy.

In 2000 Billy appeared in the Blues Brothers 2000 with Dan Aykroyd
Aretha and others...I could go on and on and on about the many gospel
Artistes he played for. As I stated b/4 he was very close 2 Rev James
CLEVELAND....AND JAMES cLEVELAND Manager who he left the bulk of
his estate in the hands of....Her name is Anette May and she was the
daughter of the Late Great Gospel Singer Bro Joe May...he left 4 kids
including Amette May , Aruthur May Aldene May Nunn & Charles May
who called themselves The 4 of May Billy Played on their record called
Its All About Jesus in 1985 & co produced it. He worked with Quincey
Fielding Jr & Ricky Grundy and so many other gospel artistes I thought
would speak out on his Unsung. Now Billy Preston was truly UnSung!!!
:psad:
@ Always12 & Intimacy..I agree with both of U. I hope & Pray he made it in.

@ My Niece...Tita Ibaka.....Yep all this mess going on in the church
and much more that hasn't been revealed...@ Chantelle..Yes he was doing the same thing as Rev James Cleveland but for some reason especially
when James Cleveland was alive the church looked the other way:neutral:
Girl(Tita Ibaka) you made me :laugh: Yes the Rev was a nasty buggar!!!!

Walter Hawkins

Gospel Singing SongBird
Reaction score
Reactions
29,710 965 26
Alleybux
Hi Walter
Remember when I wrote about the gay pastor found in his trunk dead with his penis cut off and stuffed in his mouth? Well that church was featured as the church where Billie learned to play the organ. I wonder if this pastor turned out Billie. He was friends with James Cleveland.

Hi Mscarsonca .Yes I remember you saying that!!!
What Church?:pray: Lord I'm scared what U going to say...Miracle
Valley? ARE u TALKING ABOUT REV LAWENCE ROBERTS CHURCH where
they recorded Peace Be Still? & Stood On The Bank? with his choir.he
was one of James Cleveland best friends...I'm dear friends with one
of his sibblings talk 2 her all the time.....I'm kind of confused its been
a few years now?....Exactly what church U talking about? B/c really
if you listen at Billy Preston Mother she said he got her musical skill
from her....She was on a talk Show a few years b/4 she died I yet
got the tape and she talked about how Billy first started off as an infant
imatainting her...I've heared her say that in person at some church
functions. sO i'm kind of like my girlfriend some of the story they were telling
like that part about his talent I remember differently coming from his mom
verses his sister Rodena Preston who I know 2.(Though I know Rodena &
Billy use 2 be real close).

On this same tape..I can't call the name right now but it was the lady
who played on the show Mama's Family she had a talk show.She.had Billy
Mom on....and then snuck Billy Preston out as a suprise to his Mama
he ran over and hugged and kissed her...and then he sat at the piano
and sung You Are So Beautiful 2 Me..(and everybody in the audience)
started to cry including Billy Mother...Prior B/4 Billy came out Mother
Preston sat at the piano and play and sang....

I was also shocked that Rev Jessy Jackson didn't speak out on
Billy Preston UnSung b/c Billy use to play at Rev Jessy Jacksons
Push Operations Conf..I remember it well b/c I use to sing thier with
the Hawkins and one year they even recorded an album of the service
I yet got that old album........

Walter Hawkins

Gospel Singing SongBird
Reaction score
Reactions
29,710 965 26
Alleybux
Okay...WOW 3x at all this tea!!!!!! :swoon:

Walter Hawkins, you stay on it with the tea!!!!!!!! :hug: Did they even mention James Cleveland last night? If they did, it was very brief--and he seemed to have a very...extensive background with the late Reverend. And Auntie, if all that I've read from your font regarding James Cleveland is true, then God Damn his filthy soul. That would explain why some of the commentary regarding Billy's xesual assault was that his mother was in denial--she more than likely believed in the "good" Rev. over her baby. Or she didn't think it was that big of a deal. And look what I'm reading--not only did it destroy Billy, he went and inflicted that same hurt upon other young men!!!! What a tragedy, for real.

And what's funny about all this Joyce Moore stuff is that while I was watching her on the TV, I got a funny feeling about her. I didn't hear the love in her voice as she spoke about Billy like I got from the other participants. She talked about him falling into his coma like, "Come on bud, you gotta relax--then he just--pfft--CODED." And I'm looking at the screen like, :confused: If I witnessed my client and friend coding before my eyes, I'd probably tear up at the recollection, but she was so dry.

Hey Niecie:hug: I was intended to mention in my post that
Sweetheart you are exactly right Mother Preston was in denial!!!! B/c The
great Rev James Cleveland was the man....I remember hearing it talked about when I was a kid growing up singing in the church and James Cleveland use to
come to my Aunt's church out here and do concerts...I'm sitting their as
a girl 9 or 10 years old singing in the choir backing him up, had no ideal I
would later work with this great child molester a few years later.....

I remember a few years later as I began to travel back and forth to his
church with my gospel group and the Hawkins Family when I would come
off the road my Mom & GrandMa & various family memebers would question
me about James Cleveland:laugh: They would be question me like U would
somebody that had stolen something:laugh: They say Is he really Gay?
Is that true he is a child molester? What U see when U where down their?.
etc etc!!!!lmbo..... they said its ashame that man can sing and tear the church up like that and got that kind of lifestyle. See my Grandma especially
come from the school of their's always some truth to some rumors u hear.

She 'd been hearing it b/4 I was born...and when she had a Granddaughter
who grew up to be a gospel singer and sing with the great Rev James Cleveland..her my mother and others had no promblems with trying 2 find
out from me was it true. (And Yes It Was)..I just realise a lot of people
who I think highly of was in denial 2 like my Late Bishop Bishop G.E
PATTERSON him and James were great friend...one of his last falling out attacks he had it at the GMWA..long after James had died..and when James
was living him and Bishop hung out and James did several concerts at his
church and he sold the tapes of the concerts.

That Joyce woman annoyed me 2:mad: when she was talking about Billy
co-blueing. She looked fruitty 2 me...my Godkids come got me when they
found my bestfriend dead and I was going off when I walked in the room
and saw her laying their dead....and still to this day can't fully talk about
it with out breaking down:psad: and that happened 17 years ago Billy ani't
been dead near that long..and she talks about it like it nothing? No feeling
as you say so dry:no:

And everything I ever said about the Great Rev James Cleveland is 100%
true what's sad about it...I could tell much worse:sidefrown:

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
I am talking about Victory Baptist Church in LA. That was an extremely popular church back in the day and (I think) Billy's mother played the piano for that church. This is so long ago and I was very young but I am sure I remember this correctly. I call my friends to verify my facts lol. This is the church that was featured on Unsung.

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
I remember this Joyce Moore tried to get a quicky burial and Billy's family had to fight just to get him a church service and burial.

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
His (Billys) mother's name was Robbie Preston Williams and I remember she was a popular musician here inn LA.

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
LAS: What is your name and what is your ministry?
RP: My name is Rodena Preston and I am a musician. Locally, I serve as Minister of Music at Second A.M.E. Church in Los Angeles. Internationally, I am on the Board of Directors and Minister of Music for the Gospel Music Workshop of America (GMWA).

LAS: How long have you been in this ministry and how did you get started in it?
RP: I started playing the piano at three years old and began playing at nine years old for the Junior Choir at Victory Baptist Church in Los Angeles. I was blessed to learn so much from my mother, Robbie Preston Williams. She was an incredible musician who played at Metropolitan Baptist Church in Los Angeles, then served 35 years as pianist at Victory Baptist, one of the first churches to televise their worship services. She exposed me and my brother, Billy Preston, to gospel music and many early pioneers in the field.

Walter Hawkins

Gospel Singing SongBird
Reaction score
Reactions
29,710 965 26
Alleybux
His (Billys) mother's name was Robbie Preston Williams and I remember she was a popular musician here inn LA.
oh ok you are right his mom name show is Robbie little pettie lady and such a sweet heart.!!!! and she played just as well as Billy if not better and could
sing!!!!!!...Thats s the church u talking about yes I remember it but didn't know that where the nam got his penis cut off at.

No you right Billy Mom did play the piano there...and by right Billy as a kid
played their to..I just just saying that his mom always said he got his talent from her stting on her knee where RODENA PREsTON HIS SISTER WAS TRYING
TO SAY HE got it from here and thats not how I remember Mother Preston telling that story...yes unforuntately I do remember Victory Baptish Church
they use to have a lot of gospel program their 2 right?..But I must say I don't know it all...and I don't remember the man getting his penis cutt off their.
Thank God I don't I don't know how long ago it was do you? B/c I was yet
living at home with my parents and they would of stopped me from going
down to LA had we heard something like that. Ugh so sad...Thanks mscarsona

Walter Hawkins

Gospel Singing SongBird
Reaction score
Reactions
29,710 965 26
Alleybux
LAS: What is your name and what is your ministry?
RP: My name is Rodena Preston and I am a musician. Locally, I serve as Minister of Music at Second A.M.E. Church in Los Angeles. Internationally, I am on the Board of Directors and Minister of Music for the Gospel Music Workshop of America (GMWA).

LAS: How long have you been in this ministry and how did you get started in it?
RP: I started playing the piano at three years old and began playing at nine years old for the Junior Choir at Victory Baptist Church in Los Angeles. I was blessed to learn so much from my mother, Robbie Preston Williams. She was an incredible musician who played at Metropolitan Baptist Church in Los Angeles, then served 35 years as pianist at Victory Baptist, one of the first churches to televise their worship services. She exposed me and my brother, Billy Preston, to gospel music and many early pioneers in the field.

EXACTLY!!! THATS all i WAS TRYING TO SAY HE GOT THAT TALENT FROM
HIS MOM:yes: iT WAS JUST ME AND A FEW OTHERS OF MY FRIENDS THOUGHT SHE WAS TRYING TO TAKE THE CREDIT FOR Billy playing and that is not true......Moma Preston was their teacher !!!! Rodena is nice but she can be a mess 2...know her well..I remember her being of the GMWA of one of James Cleveland chapters along with Helen Stephens over the Northern chapter.....I hope she got it straight b/4 Billy Died cussing him out like that
at his mom funeral like I'd heard and not from this thread....I heard she was showing her true color that day....I didn't go but my GodDad who worked with
Billy at AA Allen Ministries did and he told me so things b/c he was privivy
to some things and he knew Rodena and all of them well..Hope Rodena made
her peace with him I'm talking about at his Mom funeral....B/c Billy adored his Mom:love:

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
I kept my distance from Rodena. She looked messy and always had a lot of gays with her. I saw her a few weeks ago @ Knotts Gospel Day and she has really aged.

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
Remember Billy's mom had the group Ladies of Song that were really good. Sylvester pastor's wife had a group too. I think Sylvester got his dressing style from his pastor's wife. I still see Sylvester's pastors and she still dresses sharp.

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
During that time there were a lot of mysterious death of the DL ministers and choir directors. It all ties in together really nicely if you put it all together.
I am surprised that the biggest church pimp hasnt been mentioned. His church was the mecca of anything gospel. Rev T M Chambers. lol

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
As previously reported, Preston’s former manager Joyce Moore says the late performer was estranged from his family (family = his sisters !:razz:) at the time of his death on June 6. According to More, the family (sisters)took possession of the body without a court order so that an autopsy could be performed. Fox.com columnist Roger Friedman says the family ( same sisters ) has also gone against Preston’s last wish of a quick burial near his mother, opting instead to have a viewing and musical tribute on June 19, followed by the funeral on June 20. “On top of all this, it turns out that the family ( those sisters :p) has chosen a funeral parlor with massive problems,” Freidman writes of the Simpson Family Mortuary in Los Angeles. “[It] was shut down for 45 days beginning last February by the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). Narrowly avoiding a total and permanent close down, Simpson had to pay a $30,000 fine to the state. Their main violations included conducting more than 700 unlicensed embalmings performed at the mortuary between May 2003 and April 2004.”

Walter Hawkins

Gospel Singing SongBird
Reaction score
Reactions
29,710 965 26
Alleybux
During that time there were a lot of mysterious death of the DL ministers and choir directors. It all ties in together really nicely if you put it all together.
I am surprised that the biggest church pimp hasnt been mentioned. His church was the mecca of anything gospel. Rev T M Chambers. lol

Of course they don't want that mention..that would look
bad just like it would look bad if they mention the molesting Rev JAMES cLEVELAND THE WOMAN who gave Billy a kidney they left a lot off and a
lot of his so call friends that are still alive I would of though would of spoke
out on his UnSUNG..BUT i GUESS THEY WERE ASHAMED OF THE LIFE STYLE
and were afraid they could be asked some questions about the molesting and drugging and so forth..Billy Lived a colorful life...Nice man but he was
complex 2 could be a bit of a Azz whole when he wanted 2 be. RIP. Billy~~

[FONT=[/FONT]

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
I went to his memorial and the highlight to me was the Clara Ward Singers. They rocked the place. I remember Andre Crouch sung his new single Bless the Lord oh my Soul that was really wonderful. I expected the song to take off in the gospel world but it tanked.

Walter Hawkins

Gospel Singing SongBird
Reaction score
Reactions
29,710 965 26
Alleybux
In 1992, singer Billy Preston who was already facing drug and molestation charges involving a 16-year-old boy was also charged with xesually attacking a man he hired.

The newer charges involved a 38-year-old man Preston picked up to do work at his home. The charges included: One count each of xesual battery, assault with a deadly weapon-a knife and false imprisonment.

Deputy DA Loni Petersen said Preston bought the man to his home, tried to engage in xes and when the man refused, Preston told him he would drive him to a neighbor's home. She said he later stopped the car, locked the doors and assaulted the man.

The incident reportedly occurred the day before Preston was arrested in the boy's case.::guilty:

Walter Hawkins

Gospel Singing SongBird
Reaction score
Reactions
29,710 965 26
Alleybux
GAY TELL-ALL MANUSCRIPTS DISAPPEAR INTO THIN AIR"

Jermaine Stewart (1st photo) and Atisone "Shalomar" Seiuli, second photo, (the transsexual associated with the Eddie Murphy) scandal had a lot in common.

They were both gay and they both dated rich and famous men near the end of their lives.

Before Jermaine died of AIDS, it was rumored that his attitude changed, allegedly, he began to alienate friends. Maybe this attitude shift was a side effect of his medication.

I met Jermaine through a mutual friend. He had some interesting stories to tell, regarding the late Billy Preston and other Hollywood men.

Before the "downlow" club formed, Jermaine and other gay Soul Train dancers and entertainers hosted 'gay only' parties in the Hollywood Hills. They were the first to do so, now it's become a trend with today's downlow crew.

The parties became orgies and were the talk of the town among gay men in Los Angeles. These parties also had professional card dealers decked out in bow ties, giving the surroundings a casino like atmosphere.

And, pδrn actors and gay male models were also in attendance. Some of these men were contacted through personal ads in the classified section of gay magazines.

Jermaine was working on a manuscript involving 'Gay Black Hollywood." The manuscript disappeared shortly after his death. Atisone was also coming out with a tell-all book regarding famous rich clients, her manuscript also disappeared after her death.

Walter Hawkins

Gospel Singing SongBird
Reaction score
Reactions
29,710 965 26
Alleybux
NATIONAL

Billy Preston's Life, Estate in Danger
by Betty Pleasant
Special to the NNPA from the Wave Newspapers

LOS ANGELES (NNPA) – South Los Angeles’ homegrown star, Billy Preston — the musical wunderkind of the popular and gospel genre and the universally acknowledged “Fifth Beatle” — is fighting for his life in an Arizona hospital and his sisters are fighting a White couple in Los Angeles Superior Court for conservatorship of Billy’s “person and estate.”

The matter of the conservatorship of William Everett Preston landed in court in January when his sister, Rodena Preston, petitioned for and was granted temporary conservatorship over her gravely ill, 59-year-old brother.
In her petition, Rodena told the court Billy was in a near coma and was unable to attend to his own business affairs. She said he had undergone a kidney transplant, which failed, and had also “undergone several serious surgical procedures in the last three months prior to this [January] filing.” She stated further that Billy “suffers from heart disease and is on and off a ventilator.”

Rodena also informed the court that Billy had moved temporarily to Scottsdale, Ariz., a year ago to be treated at the Mayo Clinic, but noted that “his condition worsened to its current state.” Rodena said she and another Preston sister, Gwendolyn Gooden, are Billy’s only blood relatives in California and that there are no family members in Arizona to care for him.

Rodena stated in her petition that she “is informed, believes and alleges that [Billy] is being unduly influenced by business associates who have assumed control over, or are attempting to assume control over, all of [his] assets.”

Billy’s youngest sister, Lettie Preston, who lives in Houston, is more blunt. She said Joyce Moore, her brother’s business manager, whom he reportedly acquired within the past two years, is isolating him from his family and she has joined her two sisters in taking legal action to wrest control of him from Moore and her husband, Samuel Moore.

The day before a March 28 court appearance, Lettie said: “I’ve made three trips from Houston to Arizona just to be at my brother’s bedside, but I have been refused by the hospital’s administration, saying his business manager has given them a ‘medical power of attorney’ with a clause that prohibits family members from being at his bedside. This is ludicrous. My brother would never make a decision not to see his family at a critical time such as this.

“My brother is critically ill,” Lettie continued. “There are reports that he is either brain-dead or severely brain damaged. We don’t know for certain, but we heard he had an episode in which his heart stopped and he was revived. I also know he cannot talk.

“Billy has abused drugs since he was a teenager,” Lettie said. “He has made decisions in his life that were not in his best interest, because they were drug-driven. In these such times, the family has always gone to his aid to help him in those weak moments. I believe his manager has manipulated my brother, knowing he was a drug addict, extremely ill and depressed after the death of his mother [last year].”

Rodena Preston, a well-known pianist and choir director in her own right, was especially close to Billy, who is the youngest of the four Preston children. She and Billy had often participated in music and business projects together and, at one point during his career, she traveled with his band as a keyboardist and served as his road manager.

Rodena shares Lettie’s assessment of Joyce Moore’s role in Billy’s life, but added in her petition that Moore deceived his family about the state of Billy’s health to the extent that the sisters only gained a true picture of the severity of his condition when Gwendolyn and Lettie visited Billy’s Arizona hospital together and inadvertently learned that Moore was making funeral arrangements for him.

“Even though she is supposed to be his business manager, none of his bills are being paid,” Rodena charged in her petition. “It is interesting to note, however, that my brother has two expensive cars (a Rolls Royce and a Cadillac Catera) that appear to have been placed in her name,” Rodena said.

The court granted Rodena temporary conservatorship and assigned Marc L. Sallus as Billy’s personal attorney on March 8. He ordered that Billy’s family and his attorney be allowed access to him and his medical records.

Then Rodena filed for permanent conservatorship and the Moores filed a petition on March 24 objecting to Rodena getting permanent control over her brother. In their petition, the Moores objected to the permanent arrangement for three reasons which, when stripped of their legalese, boils down to 1. Billy is a resident of Arizona and is none of California’s business, 2. Billy filed for bankruptcy on Oct. 1, 2005, the bankruptcy court is in charge of his affairs and they are none of the Los Angeles Superior Court’s business, and 3. Billy does not want Rodena conserving him.

The Moores’ Beverly Hills attorney, Cara Blake, was not available for comment did not return message requesting comment.

Things appear to have gone awry for the Moores at the March 28 court appearance as both Rodena and Sallus maintained that they still had been refused access to Billy’s person and medical records. Judge Michael Levanes affirmed his March 8 order awarding access, and then set an “order to show cause” on the Moores’ failure to comply. He ordered the couple to “personally present themselves” to the court for a hearing on April 12.
Billy Preston is an extraordinary organist who began playing the piano while sitting on his mother’s lap at age 3. He has collaborated with some of the greatest names in the music industry, including the Beatles, Eric Clapton, Sammy Davis Jr., Sly Stone, Aretha Franklin, James Cleveland, George Harrison, the Jackson 5, Quincy Jones, the Rolling Stones and Michael McDonald. He is probably best known for his work with the Beatles and is the only artist to receive label credit on a Beatles single: “Get Back.”

He was reared in Los Angeles, went to Manual Arts High School, sang with Andrae Crouch’s extremely popular COGICS gospel group and played the organ on Sundays at the Rev. T.M. Chambers Jr.’s happening New Greater Harvest Baptist Church, where the late James Cleveland served as minister of music. Billy was somebody — in clubs, concerts, recording studios and in the church. “And all we want to do now is take care of him, like we always have,” Rodena said.

Back to Previous Page Email This Story to a Friend

Click here for an
Advanced Search
Contact Us:

© Copyright -2011 National Newspaper Publishers Association, Inc.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
Edit Us

UGiveGoodLuv2Me

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
42,611 70 81
Alleybux
GAY TELL-ALL MANUSCRIPTS DISAPPEAR INTO THIN AIR"

Jermaine Stewart (1st photo) and Atisone "Shalomar" Seiuli, second photo, (the transsexual associated with the Eddie Murphy) scandal had a lot in common.

They were both gay and they both dated rich and famous men near the end of their lives.

Before Jermaine died of AIDS, it was rumored that his attitude changed, allegedly, he began to alienate friends. Maybe this attitude shift was a side effect of his medication.

I met Jermaine through a mutual friend. He had some interesting stories to tell, regarding the late Billy Preston and other Hollywood men.

Before the "downlow" club formed, Jermaine and other gay Soul Train dancers and entertainers hosted 'gay only' parties in the Hollywood Hills. They were the first to do so, now it's become a trend with today's downlow crew.

The parties became orgies and were the talk of the town among gay men in Los Angeles. These parties also had professional card dealers decked out in bow ties, giving the surroundings a casino like atmosphere.

And, pδrn actors and gay male models were also in attendance. Some of these men were contacted through personal ads in the classified section of gay magazines.

Jermaine was working on a manuscript involving 'Gay Black Hollywood." The manuscript disappeared shortly after his death. Atisone was also coming out with a tell-all book regarding famous rich clients, her manuscript also disappeared after her death.

When were these parties? In the 70s or 80s?

PositiveVibes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,456 1,525 120
Alleybux
Did Billy Preston ever had a woman in his life? I know that he was gay but I was wondering if he had a girlfriend.

Mother Marcus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
953 60 17
Alleybux
In lieu of the marathon, and this is the UNSUNG FORUM, it is only fitting that each and every UNSUNG episode have its own thread. So without further ado - UNSUNG: Billy Preston. Get to spilling the tea LSA.

Sparklelious84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
12,347 671 285
Alleybux
Hi Mscarsonca .Yes I remember you saying that!!!
What Church?:pray: Lord I'm scared what U going to say...Miracle
Valley? ARE u TALKING ABOUT REV LAWENCE ROBERTS CHURCH where
they recorded Peace Be Still? & Stood On The Bank? with his choir.he
was one of James Cleveland best friends...I'm dear friends with one
of his sibblings talk 2 her all the time.....I'm kind of confused its been
a few years now?....Exactly what church U talking about? B/c really
if you listen at Billy Preston Mother she said he got her musical skill
from her....She was on a talk Show a few years b/4 she died I yet
got the tape and she talked about how Billy first started off as an infant
imatainting her...I've heared her say that in person at some church
functions. sO i'm kind of like my girlfriend some of the story they were telling
like that part about his talent I remember differently coming from his mom
verses his sister Rodena Preston who I know 2.(Though I know Rodena &
Billy use 2 be real close).

On this same tape..I can't call the name right now but it was the lady
who played on the show Mama's Family she had a talk show.She.had Billy
Mom on....and then snuck Billy Preston out as a suprise to his Mama
he ran over and hugged and kissed her...and then he sat at the piano
and sung You Are So Beautiful 2 Me..(and everybody in the audience)
started to cry including Billy Mother...Prior B/4 Billy came out Mother
Preston sat at the piano and play and sang....

I was also shocked that Rev Jessy Jackson didn't speak out on
Billy Preston UnSung b/c Billy use to play at Rev Jessy Jacksons
Push Operations Conf..I remember it well b/c I use to sing thier with
the Hawkins and one year they even recorded an album of the service
I yet got that old album........
The lady you're talking about is Vicki Lawrence, she was in The Carol Burnett Show and yes she was "Thelma Harper a.k.a Mama from Mama's Family but anyway Billy's life was SAD in my opinion I mean, greedy family members and a man who was suppose to be a man of GOD was a exactly a PREDATOR who preyed on him sadly

Possibly? other boys back in the day so overall Billy's life was sad!

LalaSharp

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
283,672 13,172 1,667
Alleybux
I just saw this Unsung. I don't think of even knew about Billy Preston. This was a real Unsung story. He was so talented but his life was so sad. They told a lot but there's so much more out there about him. I had read that he molested a 16 y.o. boy and I did notice that they completely skipped that to mention Preston's xesual assault of a man.

It seems like the repeated xesual abuse he suffered as a child and his mother's refusal to believe him when he told, which allowed the abuse to continue - really messed him up. He seemed like he was tormented. I remember Vanessa Willims talking to Oprah about being molested when she was 10 by a family frieind at a sleepover & how being molested as a child awakens a part of you that shouldn't be awakened until you're an adult.

I was struck when he said the black church choir is the gayest place in America. On of my BFFs who grew up in church choirs used to make jokes about that but it seems like the secrecy is a breeding ground for depravity. Billy Preston was putting a smile and a joke on something sinister; it seems like the molestation in the church went way beyond the incident he revealed. And if he was found assaulting the 16 year old boy and the 38 year old man there probably were many more who were too scared or embarrassed to report they had been raped by a man or had their own immigration or criminal issues. The episode never mentioned a relationship with a man & the assaults were against really vulnerable people.

The story of his estate, his final days, his funeral, and his family could almost be a whole new episode. His sisters don't come across very well from the other things I've read. When that lady said the dialysis circulated the crack through his blood. . . .

I guess he is not as big as it should be because his issues as a predator and because of the estate issues, which finally ended earlier this year. His talent and gifts were off the charts and it's amazing to learn that he was a musician's musician. Unsung needs to do more episodes like this.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/02/1...nally-at-peace-with-financial-legacy-resolved

Bluekush21

Hebrew Israelite
Reaction score
Reactions
54,650 2,745 628
Alleybux
I just watched this and was practically in tears his story is just so sad. It's sad he never got help from him being molested. He was a great artist. I.miss unsung being this real and gritty revealing the true darkness of the industry. Here's link for anyone interested

Celebrity News

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom