Quantcast

Black Academia Tea?

ReallyGirl12

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,138 462 38
Alleybux
She's going to Howard with Ta-Nehisi Coates!

I wonder what the critics will say now that NHJ turned down a white institution for an HBCU.

Have y’all read the press release? She is reading UNC for filth!!! And she is raising the same amount of money for Howard as Hussman’s donation to UNC and she is already at $15 million according to her press release, another article said she was at $20 million. I’m a little tickled, especially considering I heard UNC doesn’t even have Hussman’s full pledge yet LOL

ReallyGirl12

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,138 462 38
Alleybux
I’m confused as to why Tressie hasn’t tweeted at all about this, or maybe I missed it. She is also a black faculty member at UNC, and although I think she is in sociology, she definitely works closely with the Journalism faculty. Any ideas??

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
She's going to Howard with Ta-Nehisi Coates!

I wonder what the critics will say now that NHJ turned down a white institution for an HBCU.

This is great news.
Have y’all read the press release? She is reading UNC for filth!!! And she is raising the same amount of money for Howard as Hussman’s donation to UNC and she is already at $15 million according to her press release, another article said she was at $20 million. I’m a little tickled, especially considering I heard UNC doesn’t even have Hussman’s full pledge yet LOL
I loved it. She is 100% correct. I am floored that she did this. She is opening doors in a way that is different than she imagined, but this is soooooo needed …

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
I’m must be having a slow day. I’m trying to understand what this tweet really means in reference to Dr. Nikole.

edit: ok I understand now after reading again.

Wat y’all think of these tweets??

There are a few ways this convo will go and we have touched on some of this stuff here.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,388 14,182 6,599
Alleybux
I’m confused as to why Tressie hasn’t tweeted at all about this, or maybe I missed it. She is also a black faculty member at UNC, and although I think she is in sociology, she definitely works closely with the Journalism faculty. Any ideas??

I'm going to assume that she is busy today.

Though, I don't think I've seen her interact with NHJ on Twitter....could be wrong though.

There are a few ways this convo will go and we have touched on some of this stuff here.

They're not wrong, but this happens all over every academic institution, not just at HBCUs. I'm sure most veteran Black faculty have stories about superstar Black faculty being recruited and given carte blanche, while everyone else is treated like dirt. It's aggravating to see folks continually use NHJ like a punching bag when they KNOW that a Black academic has to grind to become a superstar/celebrity in order to obtain protection and safety (and $$$) in higher ed.

Also, are they getting upset at Ta-Nehisi Coates's appointment? And weren't they celebrating Phyllicia Rashad's deanship pre-Cosby release???

Anyways, HNJ is in a journalism school--professional programs like journalism, film,, creative writing, and art have always hired practitioners and superstars, unlike traditional disciplines that require a PhD and dissertation. At this, it just looks like shooting darts at NHJ versus critiquing the conditions that force blackademics to become celebrities to advance is easier and gets more attention.

Way to Love

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
341,669 8,495 1,880
Alleybux
Bruh, the ADOS is dragging Mutale Nkonde, she has been funded and giving talks to Harvard, Columbia, and Notre Dame giving incorrect information about them. When will these academics learn :weary_face:

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
Bruh, the ADOS is dragging Mutale Nkonde, she has been funded and giving talks to Harvard, Columbia, and Notre Dame giving incorrect information about them. When will these academics learn :weary_face:
The ADOS org is dragging her or ADOS profs??

Nvm. Just saw your thread.

Either way, I’m here for ADOS leaving pan-Africanism alone …

Last edited:

Way to Love

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
341,669 8,495 1,880
Alleybux
The ADOS org is dragging her or ADOS profs??

Nvm. Just saw your thread.

Either way, I’m here for ADOS leaving pan-Africanism alone …

No, they're dragging her individually because of presentations she's done based on her co-authored article through the Harvard Kennedy School (which, ADOS has been tagging the hell out of them too). The article claims ADOS is a misinformation campaign "Disinformation creep: ADOS and the strategic weaponization of breaking news"

But her presentations have been so wrong, she thought one of the more popular ADOS twitter users was a bot because her handle is "Reporting Live From The Kremlin", which of course is tongue and cheek from the Joy Reid days. Her research about ADOS is so blatantly shoddy she's made herself a target smh.

It's just funny that these elite schools are proving the exact case that ADOS has been making the whole time, elite black folks don't have the real interest of everyday black folks who are demanding reparations. And it doesn't help that Nkonde is a black immigrant ::facepalm::

Last edited:

Bluewavy

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
741 26 21
Alleybux
Has anyone here taken any political science courses at Rutgers University? I'm checking out their program and would like some feedback from actual students. Thanks everyone!

Way to Love

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
341,669 8,495 1,880
Alleybux
via Black Enterprise

Howard University Professor Warns Professor Nikole Hannah-Jones About School’s ‘Poor Practices’​

by Derek MajorJuly 16, 20215072
Hannah-Jones

Howard University President Nikole Hannah-Jones (Twitter/@InsideHigherEd)

A Howard University professor has written an anonymous letter to Nikole Hannah-Jones warning her that working at the HBCU isn’t the dream she may think it is.
The letter, posted on Medium, congratulated Hannah-Jones on the job but added that when she saw Hannah-Jones say that she wanted to “go somewhere you are valued, not where you are tolerated,” she could relate.

“I am a member of a devalued and disrespected faculty at Howard,” the professor wrote. “The Administration’s leadership practices have soiled the bright and beautiful experiences in teaching that push me into my classes daily but have dimmed my formerly boundless, excited joy.”

The anonymous professor also told Hannah-Jones how Howard University tried to dismantle the Union of Professors created three years ago for non-tenured professors and how the school disagreed with all of the union’s requests.

“In three years, Howard has agreed to ZERO of the Union’s requests, offered a ‘best and final’ offer that included ZERO of the Union’s requests, and completely left the bargaining table, leaving little options for the Faculty beyond labor actions the campus will likely see this Fall,” they revealed.

The letter goes on to point out some of the University’s practices for non-tenured professors to Hannah-Jones. Including that they have to re-apply for their jobs after the seven-year cutoff for teaching at Howard if a professor is not on a tenured track. The letter also pointed out the low salary for professors.

“Lecturers who hold doctorates from the most rigorous programs in the nation earn $48,000/yr at Howard,” the letter states. “Less than a first-year Kindergarten teacher in Washington DC Public Schools who holds only a bachelor’s degree and just graduated in May 2021.”

While the letter points to some issues of teaching at an HBCU, Dr. Greg Carr, an associate professor of Afro-American Studies at Howard, discussed Hannah-Jones picking Howard over the University of North Carolina with Marc Lamont Hill and said that teaching at an HBCU is more than about money, it’s a calling.

“Black people tend to look at HBCUs as a rung on the ladder to success to create generational wealth and collective advancement,” Carr told Hill. “That means that teaching at HBCUs becomes a calling as much as it is an academic exercise and a lot of that gets pushed aside when one or two people whose names we know come into a Black space.”

The anonymous professor concluded the letter saying they hope Hannah-Jones joins non-tenured professors at Howard in their fight for fairness.

“As you begin your work on The Hilltop, we hope you will stand with us in insisting our Administration reach a fair and equitable contract with our Union of Professors and that they do so quickly to end a three-year-long embarrassment,” they said. “And if it comes to it, as it appears that it will, we hope you will even join us in solidarity as it may be necessary to absent ourselves from the work until fairness and equity become part of the Administration’s agenda.”

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
via Black Enterprise

Howard University Professor Warns Professor Nikole Hannah-Jones About School’s ‘Poor Practices’​

by Derek MajorJuly 16, 20215072
Hannah-Jones

Howard University President Nikole Hannah-Jones (Twitter/@InsideHigherEd)

A Howard University professor has written an anonymous letter to Nikole Hannah-Jones warning her that working at the HBCU isn’t the dream she may think it is.
The letter, posted on Medium, congratulated Hannah-Jones on the job but added that when she saw Hannah-Jones say that she wanted to “go somewhere you are valued, not where you are tolerated,” she could relate.

“I am a member of a devalued and disrespected faculty at Howard,” the professor wrote. “The Administration’s leadership practices have soiled the bright and beautiful experiences in teaching that push me into my classes daily but have dimmed my formerly boundless, excited joy.”

The anonymous professor also told Hannah-Jones how Howard University tried to dismantle the Union of Professors created three years ago for non-tenured professors and how the school disagreed with all of the union’s requests.

“In three years, Howard has agreed to ZERO of the Union’s requests, offered a ‘best and final’ offer that included ZERO of the Union’s requests, and completely left the bargaining table, leaving little options for the Faculty beyond labor actions the campus will likely see this Fall,” they revealed.

The letter goes on to point out some of the University’s practices for non-tenured professors to Hannah-Jones. Including that they have to re-apply for their jobs after the seven-year cutoff for teaching at Howard if a professor is not on a tenured track. The letter also pointed out the low salary for professors.

“Lecturers who hold doctorates from the most rigorous programs in the nation earn $48,000/yr at Howard,” the letter states. “Less than a first-year Kindergarten teacher in Washington DC Public Schools who holds only a bachelor’s degree and just graduated in May 2021.”

While the letter points to some issues of teaching at an HBCU, Dr. Greg Carr, an associate professor of Afro-American Studies at Howard, discussed Hannah-Jones picking Howard over the University of North Carolina with Marc Lamont Hill and said that teaching at an HBCU is more than about money, it’s a calling.

“Black people tend to look at HBCUs as a rung on the ladder to success to create generational wealth and collective advancement,” Carr told Hill. “That means that teaching at HBCUs becomes a calling as much as it is an academic exercise and a lot of that gets pushed aside when one or two people whose names we know come into a Black space.”

The anonymous professor concluded the letter saying they hope Hannah-Jones joins non-tenured professors at Howard in their fight for fairness.

“As you begin your work on The Hilltop, we hope you will stand with us in insisting our Administration reach a fair and equitable contract with our Union of Professors and that they do so quickly to end a three-year-long embarrassment,” they said. “And if it comes to it, as it appears that it will, we hope you will even join us in solidarity as it may be necessary to absent ourselves from the work until fairness and equity become part of the Administration’s agenda.”
YASSSSSSS!!!!!!!

TELL THAT TEA!!!

goes to read

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
Finished reading.

I love Dr. Carr, but $48K is slave wages, especially in DC and w/a doctorate, is’s a slap in the face. You can’t take “a calling” to the rent office.

This is what I mean when I tell ppl that not all HBCUS are created equal. Howard has been skating by on brand recognition and celebrity alumni for a very long time …

I’ll stop here.

BrownSkin_Girl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,264 978 164
Alleybux

Not saying HBCUs don’t have their issues but it seems like with every win Howard gets folks are now trying to have these conversations about the lack of decency in the academy. It’s reading real funny. The academy is trash as a collective whether it’s related to how they deal with xesual assault to faculty that aren’t tenured. The academy is big business and none of these institutions have no problem prioritizing superstar or big name faculty over students or lesser known faculty.

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
Not saying HBCUs don’t have their issues but it seems like with every win Howard gets folks are now trying to have these conversations about the lack of decency in the academy. It’s reading real funny. The academy is trash as a collective whether it’s related to how they deal with xesual assault to faculty that aren’t tenured. The academy is big business and none of these institutions have no problem prioritizing superstar or big name faculty over students or lesser known faculty.
Agreed, especially w/the bolded. The playing field will never be level, that’s just the reality of it. I think maybe some of people’s discontent is that they see academic work as a labor of love, as opposed to the business it is and when they see the business side of it, they really become disillusioned.

BrownSkin_Girl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,264 978 164
Alleybux
Agreed, especially w/the bolded. The playing field will never be level, that’s just the reality of it. I think maybe some of people’s discontent is that they see academic work as a labor of love, as opposed to the business it is and when they see the business side of it, they really become disillusioned.
I definitely agree with you on that last part. I do think a lot of folks who came in with honorable intentions have been jaded by their experiences and that truly makes me sad because if those folks got the support they needed they could do some wonderful things.

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
I definitely agree with you on that last part. I do think a lot of folks who came in with honorable intentions have been jaded by their experiences and that truly makes me sad because if those folks got the support they needed they could do some wonderful things.
YES! That’s why I’ll never look funny at an academic who goes the “public intellectual” route. The academy is no more noble than any other profession, but because it has the “noble profession” foundation and branding, they chew ppl up who don’t peep game.

TheWarlock

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
123 5 1
Alleybux
Yep, his kids go to one of the best schools in the NATION. But he stay doing crazy things in inner city public schools. He's a sellout of the worst kind because he stays telling white people that black people are ignorant. This is why they love him. The data he used for his most popular studies is also the same data that that japanese professor used to say that black women were the least attractive.

He has a lab at harvard that is filled with nothing but white people.
Him, skip g@tes,@llan pouissant (google his horse sh!t, he wrote a paper on how the civil rights movement was stressful for white women), and the overwhelming majority of black academics earn their keep putting black people down while being married to white women. I wonder how they sleep at night.
Just fine. Many Black men are invested in keeping Black people suppressed for a few dollars and a damn white wife. We'll never be liberated because of this.

TheWarlock

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
123 5 1
Alleybux
Who you want to know about? Loooool. Some of them are not well known but are famous in certain circles. Mostly, I just know their personalities.

J0hn Mcwh0rter, Im@ni P€rry
Ki€se laym0n, skip g@tes, uncle bobby, @rtur d@vis, etc.

With the exception of p€rry and Mcwh0rter, and a few others, most of them are frauds, are not smart, rude, and hate being black. They are obsessed with gaining white people's attention.

I can't stand laym0n. He is soo thirsty for the white gaze.
Damn. Hearing this about Laym0n stings because I did enjoy Heavy but it isn't surprising because of what was in Heavy.

TheWarlock

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
123 5 1
Alleybux
Loooooool! I don't know her personally but have interacted with people who do know her. They sing her praises. They say she gets it.

In my experiences, black academics are paid tools for the democrats, EXTREMELY self-centered, and EXTREMELY insecure. They also HATE black people--even the ones who study black people. They actively sabotage black students and have no problem closing the door behind them. When I was applying to graduate school, a very prominent black academic offered to mentor me (I wanted to get a PhD at Harvard where they taught at AND graduated from) only to turn around and give me a wrong phone number and email. After much persistence, I finally got the correct email but they never responded.

I took a course with another VERY FAMOUS black academic. 50% of the course's grade was a final presentation. On the day of the presentation, everyone gave theirs except for me. They were getting ready to let class go and I was like...excuse me...i have my presentation. They said to my face and in front of eveyone...I didn't think you did it. This professor gave me a 0. The only time I have EVER had to escalate a comlplaint to the Dean was with this BLACK academic.

I also took a class with HL Gates. He told me to my face before class started that he doesn't allow Harvard Extension Students to take his class. Mind you, I was a PhD student.

Sooo many assholes.
Cool ones: Cornell West is AWESOME. He gets side-tracked sometimes but he will give you the shirt off of his back. He has helped many black students with things ranging from stipends to dental insurance, LOL.

I know NHJ. I think she is misunderstood. She has a rough exterior but is nice if you can get beyond that. She gets attacked a lot and doesn't trust many people.

Ben C@rson is SUPER nice, too. He is like Cornell West, but stricter, LOOOL. Contrary to what they say about him, he loves black people, but he has standards. If you are high performing, he will take you under his wings. If not, you are on your own.

I used to like Im@ni Peerrry but sis is MEAN and very self-centered. So is her mama.

Kie$e L@ymon I didn't like him when I first met him but I have met him a few more times and he is a JEWEL. I think he is gay and doesn't know how to come out. If he could move beyond the trauma pδrn, he could be the great writer. I see him winning a Nobel Prize.

Speaking of Nobel Prize, Toni Morrison was like Ben Carson. She was strict with her mentorship but if she liked you, would give you the WORLD. But i get it. These people (Ben, Toni) have/had been through a lot. They accomplished what they did during much harder times and think that if they did it, you can too. So they judge harshly. However, if you meet their standards, they will give you the world.
lmao what you said about Kiese just sent me

TheWarlock

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
123 5 1
Alleybux
I can’t believe I’m just finding this thread. This should be more popping now that academics are putting their business out there on social media so it’s not so much the “small circle” thing any more. I know (of) most of the people mentioned in this thread.

K33@ng@ Y@hm@tt@-Taylor: I think she’s one of the few really genuine people left. I really hope she doesn’t sell out as she gets more notoriety

Iman! P3rry has also been really cool in my experience, but I can see how she can come across as self centered. She just keeps her circle small but she’s a really good mentor to ppl who have worked with her.

K!3se L@ym0n gives me pause. It’s the ego for me. I don’t think he’s gay but I think he probably does swing both ways. I will say he co-signs a lot of trash people

C0rn3l W3st is fine but he’s an attention hoe. He’s been repeating the same talking points for a hundred years now and it’s getting old. He’s a sweet man though as far as I know. He has some weird followers though. Sometimes he gives me slight cult leader vibes based on the way his fans talk about him

h3nry l0uis g@tes creeps me out. I’ve never felt comfortable around him as a woman. I don’t think he’s dangerous, but he’s just really old fashioned and a chauvinist so I keep my distance. I’ve heard rumors, but nothing as serious as assault, just that he can be overly familiar. Huge sellout who loves to tap dance for the whites

Tr3$$ie is insecure and self hating. She and R0x@ne are two peas in a pod but I wonder if they’ll ever having a falling out. I feel like there would be petty jealousy

Some people who haven’t come up yet:

Br!ttn3y C00per is a horror. I don’t know anyone who actually likes her

Ebrum Kend! has become a huge sellout and he’s making serious bank. Part of me wonders if that was the plan all along because he can’t really believe all the stuff he writes

I have more but can’t think of anything right now. I’m also happy to answer questions. I ain’t afraid of nobody!
Br!ttn3y seems unhinged

TheWarlock

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
123 5 1
Alleybux
I know Laym0n’s girlfriend. I don’t know anything about him other than he cheated on her and she took him back. She is a professor in New York. I was surprised to see allegations in here that he is gay
She Black?

TheWarlock

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
123 5 1
Alleybux
Imani over there selling black folks out to Asians, talking about we need to confront our anti Asian sentiments as black people. Imani hates black people and so does her mama. I know black women who dealt with both Imani and her mama and were given the run around when trying to apply to graduate schools. They gave them wrong emails and phone numbers, stood them up, and told them they were not ivy league material even though all of them went on to get phds at ivy league institutions.

With NHJ, it goes to show you who write the CHECKS. She still accepted that sh!tty deal. She needs UNC, not the other way around. She just got cut down to size. It was also a warning shot to those blue check phds. Not saying I agree because NHJ is kinda cool but I ain't losing ANY sleep.

And what's up with Marc Lamont Hill trying to force this Afro Palestinian thing on American black people? He is obsessed!
Marc Lamont Hill is suspect. Also, I hate when the political problems of Black people in other nations are presented to us as if it's our fault they're in those predicaments. We can't do anything about the issues in our country. What makes you think we're responsible for what happens in other countries?

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,388 14,182 6,599
Alleybux
YES! That’s why I’ll never look funny at an academic who goes the “public intellectual” route. The academy is no more noble than any other profession, but because it has the “noble profession” foundation and branding, they chew ppl up who don’t peep game.

Haha. That's why folks tried to push me out. I didn't gaf about anything but money and prestige once I realized the "calling" was koolaid for first-gen academics and only truly existed if you came from an academic family.

oicantbelieveit

Queen of the South
Reaction score
Reactions
36,223 913 145
Alleybux
Haha. That's why folks tried to push me out. I didn't gaf about anything but money and prestige once I realized the "calling" was koolaid for first-gen academics and only truly existed if you came from an academic family.
Can you say more about this? I'm first gen and preparing to start a TT position. I don't want to do the public intellectual thing. But do you think this is the way to be successful? I'm in science and I used to think science was immune to having to be notable to the public. But there are now a number of notable public intellectuals in my field, given their presence on twitter.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,388 14,182 6,599
Alleybux
Can you say more about this? I'm first gen and preparing to start a TT position. I don't want to do the public intellectual thing. But do you think this is the way to be successful? I'm in science and I used to think science was immune to having to be notable to the public. But there are now a number of notable public intellectuals in my field, given their presence on twitter.

I'm not in STEM, so I can't speak to how things operate in that arena.

My experience and what I've seen is that you need to protect your neck as a Black woman, period.

Prof Crunk or Tress or others may be "monsters" behind their public persona, but this profession will chew you up from the inside, whether it's your regular variety of racism to sexism to POC students latching into you because you are the only WOC in their orbit and getting stuck in service vs the research that academia judges you on. This is on top of university politics--esp post-covid.

The only people who are automatically protected and skip through the daisies are white men. All those old stereotypes about the professor life are only for them and always will be, and are why they hate having to make room for women, WOC, disabled folks, etc.

And as a first gen, you have an even greater battle because you don't have daddy professor or grandma director of xyz, university of blah blah, to run interference for you. That is another reason why a few first-gens will go the public intellectual route even as a grad student.

Academia is really no different from corporate America. They like to pretend it isn't so folks can get away with bµllsh!t that would get you fired and/or sued if it happened in the cubicles of Proctor & Gamble or Google.

I highly recommend that you find mentors and a cohort of like minded folks.

oicantbelieveit

Queen of the South
Reaction score
Reactions
36,223 913 145
Alleybux
I'm not in STEM, so I can't speak to how things operate in that arena.

My experience and what I've seen is that you need to protect your neck as a Black woman, period.

Prof Crunk or Tress or others may be "monsters" behind their public persona, but this profession will chew you up from the inside, whether it's your regular variety of racism to sexism to POC students latching into you because you are the only WOC in their orbit and getting stuck in service vs the research that academia judges you on. This is on top of university politics--esp post-covid.

The only people who are automatically protected and skip through the daisies are white men. All those old stereotypes about the professor life are only for them and always will be, and are why they hate having to make room for women, WOC, disabled folks, etc.

And as a first gen, you have an even greater battle because you don't have daddy professor or grandma director of xyz, university of blah blah, to run interference for you. That is another reason why a few first-gens will go the public intellectual route even as a grad student.

Academia is really no different from corporate America. They like to pretend it isn't so folks can get away with bµllsh!t that would get you fired and/or sued if it happened in the cubicles of Proctor & Gamble or Google.

I highly recommend that you find mentors and a cohort of like minded folks.
Thank you - this is sobering but a great reminder. In another thread, one font recommended I read a book titled 'Presumed Incompetent'. If you have any books or other resources you recommend, please let me know.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,388 14,182 6,599
Alleybux
Thank you - this is sobering but a great reminder. In another thread, one font recommended I read a book titled 'Presumed Incompetent'. If you have any books or other resources you recommend, please let me know.

Black Women in the Ivory Tower, 1850-1954: An Intellectual History by Stephanie Y. Evans

The Black Woman's Guide to Advancing in Academia by Jennifer J. Edwards, Ndidi Amutah-Onukagha

3e58aed3bd3a320cf33d7e6db88fae8e100e14d9.jpg

Bluewavy

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
741 26 21
Alleybux
Anyone know anything about Rutgers university political science program ?

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,388 14,182 6,599
Alleybux
Did anyone get a chance to read Tr3ssie’s interview with D1ddy?

Yes lol. It was clearly a celebrity puff piece, though bits and pieces of her real writing voice came through in a couple of moments. I'm curious about whether VF asked her to do it or if she chose it from a list of pitches they presented--and why she wanted to write about him of all people for a major magazine.

SweetGrass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,559 2,035 90
Alleybux
Yes lol. It was clearly a celebrity puff piece, though bits and pieces of her real writing voice came through in a couple of moments. I'm curious about whether VF asked her to do it or if she chose it from a list of pitches they presented--and why she wanted to write about him of all people for a major magazine.
Yes I enjoyed reading it overall. I think maybe she chose it from a list. She mentioned she actually booked Biggie at Central's homecoming and spoke with Puff. She was surprised he vaguely remembered her.

oicantbelieveit

Queen of the South
Reaction score
Reactions
36,223 913 145
Alleybux
Now TMC is writing for the NYT.

Excellent. I'm not sure if she is considered a journalist, but I wonder if she will be able to give UNC some of what they hoped NHJ would bring. Not saying it should rest on one woman's shoulders. But I do think that what she would offer in terms of culture analyses would be valuable.