Quantcast

Black Adventist Tea ( OU, Me@han and Dev0n, etc)

LadyEsq

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,430 1,354 37
Alleybux
In my mind preacher = minister but I could be wrong.
I gotcha and kind of misinterpreted your post... "preacher" is more of a general term so it could be whatever folks want to call it... and honestly, the way he goes on, even if he is not official, I am sure he fancies himself a preacher as well...

And I'm gonna have to stop posting in the middle of the night cause my mind be playing tricks on me, lol...

Little Lamb

I’m Not Worried; You On The Other Hand Should Be
Reaction score
Reactions
12,737 1,536 1,045
Alleybux
This is D at OU with M

IDK what Bird was really thinking here but anyways.
As you can see they have her looking like a first lady buttt this was last year
Meagan-Good-2019-Oscars.jpg

OU loves their black celebs (as they should. White SDA's don't respect us as much as Black celebs do. Shameful)
So they stay inviting him. He was there this year as well

I’m sorry but “D” has always looked “suspect” so I’m just gonna sit back pretty ‘n perched and WAIT ... rarely ... RARELY am I wrong about these types of things! :sneaky:

Kiwi2020

Make the moment count...
Reaction score
Reactions
981 13 3
Alleybux
Kelly is divorced? He was at a week of prayer at a church in Bklyn prob 1.5 years ago doing the relationship portion for the seminar. I remember thinking at the time that something didn't 'sound' right in his tone while he spoke about his marriage...

Hopefully his ministry will expand into relationships and reconciliation. Hopefully...

Amanirenas

Qore li kdwe li
Reaction score
Reactions
104,456 2,521 1,598
Alleybux
Ahh. That's what I and some of the other SDA's were hinting at in that thread. To understand why they don't come off as such though, it would be better to have a discussion about how Cali SDA's ( churches, schools, etc) operate. They are very different when compared to East coast churches. Lots of prosperity preaching, closely related to Bethel and Hillsong, even though they are doctrinally incompatible.

Just drop the name of the conference that DF is a member of. That should clear things up.

ms_svelte

svelte
Reaction score
Reactions
88,352 5,618 8,815
Alleybux
Ahh. That's what I and some of the other SDA's were hinting at in that thread. To understand why they don't come off as such though, it would be better to have a discussion about how Cali SDA's ( churches, schools, etc) operate. They are very different when compared to East coast churches. Lots of prosperity preaching, closely related to Bethel and Hillsong, even though they are doctrinally incompatible.

theres nothing to be up in arms about.

yall know the california conferences are gonna slide into the sea anyways....

hehehhehheheehhe

(the quote doesnt actually say that but the way they roll, it could very well be true)

Amanirenas

Qore li kdwe li
Reaction score
Reactions
104,456 2,521 1,598
Alleybux
I think it's the Southeastern California Conference.

He's available for speaking engagements at churches on his website, but it's clear he doesn't have a church. Very weird vibe. It seems like he's profiting off of his success as a producer and having the trappings of a pastor without actually having the responsibilities or endorsements. He's turned ministering into motivational speaking. His wife doesn't even go to church anymore, which is really strange.

Moni80

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,832 6
Alleybux
This is why I ( and most of the people I went to AU with) stepped away from Adventism. It's always about protecting the image and not dealing with actually issues. I'm talking specifically about the xesual allegation. One of my friends literally just left and started preaching at at non denomination bc they dismissed her when she told them one of their golden boys pushed himself on her.

She posted on facebook and instagram and literally the number of women who replied with their experiences.

Also a lot of these school don't do crap to protect the students. I remember we had a rapist on the loose and the school didn't even worn us ...smh

SourHead2025

Cleopatra “Knuck if U Buck” Sims
Reaction score
Reactions
829 7 1
Alleybux
This is why I ( and most of the people I went to AU with) stepped away from Adventism. It's always about protecting the image and not dealing with actually issues. I'm talking specifically about the xesual allegation. One of my friends literally just left and started preaching at at non denomination bc they dismissed her when she told them one of their golden boys pushed himself on her.

She posted on facebook and instagram and literally the number of women who replied with their experiences.

Also a lot of these school don't do crap to protect the students. I remember we had a rapist on the loose and the school didn't even worn us ...smh

Wow. I hadnt heard about those!!

I went to 0U and I remember last year a lot of girls coming forth on twitter with their xesual trauma experiences. I was surprised and disappointed that there were so many. I did not experience that while i was there. If i remember correctly, they had to stop sharing bc some of the alleged were threatening to sue.

& we can't forget the P0llard brother just disappearing with no explanation.

Also i personally know someone who was molested for years by an Adventist pastor. She told her family, they didnt believe her. But i think they chose not to believe her to protect his foul behind, like you said, a golden boy. Effing disgusting.

For me at this point, I say im adventist but its very loose. Smh, Adventist and especially old school Adventist are something else. I cant be bothered with the egos and politics, etc. For the birds, they can have that. And they wonder where the youth are and why we are leaving the church LOL.

Moni80

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,832 6
Alleybux
Wow. I hadnt heard about those!!

I went to 0U and I remember last year a lot of girls coming forth on twitter with their xesual trauma experiences. I was surprised and disappointed that there were so many. I did not experience that while i was there. If i remember correctly, they had to stop sharing bc some of the alleged were threatening to sue.

& we can't forget the P0llard brother just disappearing with no explanation.

Also i personally know someone who was molested for years by an Adventist pastor. She told her family, they didnt believe her. But i think they chose not to believe her to protect his foul behind, like you said, a golden boy. Effing disgusting.

For me at this point, I say im adventist but its very loose. Smh, Adventist and especially old school Adventist are something else. I cant be bothered with the egos and politics, etc. For the birds, they can have that. And they wonder where the youth are and why we are leaving the church LOL.

Yea she also has a YouTube channel but I feel weird posting her info on here ;(

It’s absolutely disgusting but not surprising.

There’s so many issues that need to be addressed. It’s not just the schools but the local churches. I’ve seen older men preyed on younger women under the guise of “we’re studying the Bible”

Also the fact that I went to school with most of the newer generation of pastors (most of the one who went to OU went to seminary at AU), I just can’t respect them....I can literally count on one hand the ones who are authentic

FutureMD

FLOTUS. Philanthropist. Jack's Wifey.
Reaction score
Reactions
166,850 5,303 1,347
Alleybux
Bumping the thread to say I had no clue Chili was an Adventist.

Kiwi2020

Make the moment count...
Reaction score
Reactions
981 13 3
Alleybux
I knew about Chili for a minute (hence I think the reason her vegan and physically fit lifestylemade sense to me). You should have seen some of the white adventists reactions/comments under the YouTube vid where Doug Batchelor hugs her. The hypocrisy and racism are real and alive in Adventism.

FutureMD

Reaction score
Reactions
166,850 5,303 1,347
Alleybux
The hypocrisy and racism are real and alive in Adventism.
Very much so. I touched on that on the first page. How is Beyonce (no disrespect obviously, love her) giving OU their props before the Church does?

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
Very much so. I touched on that on the first page. How is Beyonce (no disrespect obviously, love her) giving OU their props before the Church does?

This is why even though I am not a church person, in my mind, the AME church (although imperfect) will always have my utmost respect.

Wite Christians are the biggest irony and hypocrisy in the world to me. Black ppl do better without looking to them for anything, IMO.

Moni80

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,832 6
Alleybux
I knew about Chili for a minute (hence I think the reason her vegan and physically fit lifestylemade sense to me). You should have seen some of the white adventists reactions/comments under the YouTube vid where Doug Batchelor hugs her. The hypocrisy and racism are real and alive in Adventism.

The reason why we even have black conferences is because of racism and most don't even want to acknowledge it.

LadyEsq

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,430 1,354 37
Alleybux
I was seeing a guy that went to Oakwood, whole family is Adventist and ALL THE MEN AND WOMEN he knows are cheating on their spouses.
Well, welcome to LSA! Hope you enjoy your stay! If there is anything else you would like to add to this thread, please feel free and make yourself at home....

MzAnthrope

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,664 186 5
Alleybux
Well, welcome to LSA! Hope you enjoy your stay! If there is anything else you would like to add to this thread, please feel free and make yourself at home....

Thank you! I’ll just add what a lot of you already probably know is that the most righteous and religious seeming folks always have some skeletons. The SDAs I know are particularly shocking though in just how much adultery is going on. They’ll be out in these streets, but won’t eat bacon or take a drink.

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-16_22-6-48.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-16_22-6-48.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

FutureMD

Reaction score
Reactions
166,850 5,303 1,347
Alleybux
When did Bey give OU props?
It was a while back. I'm not sure I can even find the post anymore. I'll get back to you on that if I can find it. I remember a lot of people being upset since Bey cared more about OU than the church did.

Thank you! I’ll just add what a lot of you already probably know is that the most righteous and religious seeming folks always have some skeletons. The SDAs I know are particularly shocking though in just how much adultery is going on. They’ll be out in these streets, but won’t eat bacon or take a drink.
Absolutely. It's a shame.

FutureMD

Reaction score
Reactions
166,850 5,303 1,347
Alleybux
UPDATE
Pastor Kelly has been FIRED
21 October 2020 |

Back-to-back letters on October 18 from the leaders of the Southeastern California Conference (SECC) and the leaders of the Mt. Rubidoux Seventh-day Adventist Church in Riverside, California, confirm the dismissal of two pastors: the senior pastor, Michael Kelly, and associate pastor Rebecca Davis. The letters, originally posted on social media, have since been removed.

Mt. Rubidoux is the largest black church in the conference, with around 1,700 members, according to the Adventist Yearbook. Michael Kelly was, according to one source, “a celebrity pastor” in the African American community.

No explanation has been given by official sources. The SECC letter only mentions Elder Kelly, saying that “as a result of a thorough investigation… we feel this decision is imperative.” The letter from Mt. Rubidoux leaders, signed by lay elder Diana Alexander and pastors Kyle Smith and Jeremiah Green, says that “Michael Kelly and Rebecca Davis are no longer part of the Mt. Rubidoux pastoral team,” and encourages the congregation to stand strong in the Lord. “We will be working with the conference to keep you informed every step of this journey,” they write. “For now, we are focusing on consoling one another, communicating all we can, and continuing the work of ministry.”

The SECC letter advises that “It is the practice of Southeastern California Conference to not comment publicly on personnel issues. We request that you respect the privacy of all persons impacted by this situation as we collectively pray for your church community.”

MellaRueraux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
59,770 4,390 3,375
Alleybux
UPDATE
Pastor Kelly has been FIRED
21 October 2020 |

Back-to-back letters on October 18 from the leaders of the Southeastern California Conference (SECC) and the leaders of the Mt. Rubidoux Seventh-day Adventist Church in Riverside, California, confirm the dismissal of two pastors: the senior pastor, Michael Kelly, and associate pastor Rebecca Davis. The letters, originally posted on social media, have since been removed.

Mt. Rubidoux is the largest black church in the conference, with around 1,700 members, according to the Adventist Yearbook. Michael Kelly was, according to one source, “a celebrity pastor” in the African American community.

No explanation has been given by official sources. The SECC letter only mentions Elder Kelly, saying that “as a result of a thorough investigation… we feel this decision is imperative.” The letter from Mt. Rubidoux leaders, signed by lay elder Diana Alexander and pastors Kyle Smith and Jeremiah Green, says that “Michael Kelly and Rebecca Davis are no longer part of the Mt. Rubidoux pastoral team,” and encourages the congregation to stand strong in the Lord. “We will be working with the conference to keep you informed every step of this journey,” they write. “For now, we are focusing on consoling one another, communicating all we can, and continuing the work of ministry.”

The SECC letter advises that “It is the practice of Southeastern California Conference to not comment publicly on personnel issues. We request that you respect the privacy of all persons impacted by this situation as we collectively pray for your church community.”
Well well well I wonder what he did....

FutureMD

Reaction score
Reactions
166,850 5,303 1,347
Alleybux
This man LIED ABOUT HIS DIVORCE for YEARS while continuing to go to OU and do relationship seminars. Who the heck trusts a man who can't stay married with relationship advice?
The way this aged like fine wine in a matter of MONTHS chileee wheeww

TalkNerdyToMe

Hi, I'm Charity! Donations accepted.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,770 2,590 407
Alleybux
IN-teresting!

If anybody makes that group let me get an invite.
I can pass the entrance exam.

source.gif

FutureMD

Reaction score
Reactions
166,850 5,303 1,347
Alleybux
OU just finished their lawsuit against the alumni association
Statement from
the Board of Trustees of Oakwood University
Concerning the Legal Settlement of
Oakwood University v. OUAA​

The Oakwood University Board of Trustees is pleased to announce the closure of an extremely difficult and sensitive matter related to the governance of Oakwood University. On June 2, 2021, Federal District Judge Madeline Hughes Haikala, of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama, entered two orders closing the court case 5:18-cv-00870-MHH Oakwood University Inc v. Oakwood University Alumni Association in accordance with the agreement of the parties. The following is the official statement of the Board of Trustees of Oakwood University concerning the settlement of the lawsuit.​

Dear Members of the Oakwood University Community,

For 125 years, lives have been enhanced and transformed at Oakwood University, a North American Division-sponsored institution within the family of Seventh-day Adventist higher education. Oakwood stands as a highly-recognized member of the community of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). Oakwood University, and for many of us, our alma mater, fosters spirituality, promotes educational excellence, endorses a healthy life and lifestyle, and helps others prepare to meet our soon-coming Christ. This “Oakwood Experience” leads to a deep loyalty and love for Oakwood University from administrators, faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends. Maintaining this relationship is essential to our University and is one of the Board’s main priorities. Therefore, when the family has experienced a public dispute, it is painful, emotional, and always regrettable. But today the future of our OU family relationship has been secured. The lawsuit between Oakwood University and the University’s former alumni association (now known as the “Original Oaks Alumni Association”) has been resolved.

As Trustees, we are deeply pained that it became necessary in 2018 to use legal means to protect and secure the Oakwood name and reputation. Be assured that the Board of Trustees did not want this dispute, neither did we relish prosecuting this lawsuit. The association’s intractability left us with no recourse. The disposition and conduct described in the federal court documents ultimately led the Court to issue a preliminary injunction (which is now permanent) preventing the association from using the University’s name or trademarks. The Court explained the reasons for the injunction in a Memorandum Opinion, which is a matter of public record (see Judge Madeline H. Haikala, Memorandum Opinion-August 14, 2020, which we will cite hereafter as “see Haikala PI”); it can be found at https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/alabama/alndce/5:2018cv00870/166545/67/.
Why did the University sue the former alumni association?

Before 2018, the University and the former association enjoyed a close working relationship. The University generously allowed the association to use the University’s reputation, goodwill, name, logos, and related items to support its fundraising. For its part, the former association conducted its fundraising efforts in accordance with the University’s required guidance (see Haikala PI, 8, 12-14). In March of 2018, the leaders of the association rejected this long-standing relationship and refused to honor appropriate and reasonable requests from the University Board or Administration for financial disclosure and fiscal transparency. ​

Around the same time, the University and its Board learned of circumstances involving the association that, if unaddressed, endangered the University’s accreditation status and reputation (see Haikala PI, 19-22). In March of 2018, our Board requests for cooperation on fiscal accountability were rejected and inexplicably characterized in writing to the Board of Trustees as “unlawful intermeddling and interference” by the Board of Trustees and the University (see Haikala PI, 21). The association’s leadership also refused to speak with our designated Board representative on the subject, directing that all communications go through their legal counsel. In response, the University’s counsel made several attempts to resolve some of the more pressing financial concerns before Alumni Weekend 2018 (see Haikala PI, 21-22), but to no avail.

By way of one example, we mention one of the serious fiduciary challenges we faced. As published on the IRS website, on May 15, 2017, the IRS revoked the association’s tax-exempt status for failure to file its taxes for three consecutive years. With its tax status revoked, word spread that the association planned to use a third-party organization (not known to Oakwood) to receive donations from Oakwood alumni during the 2018 Alumni Weekend (see Haikala PI, 21). As a result, the University made two requests. First, we asked that the association refrain from using an entity undisclosed to the University to receive donations from University alumni (see Haikala PI, 22). Second, we, the Board of Trustees, requested that the University be allowed to receive alumni donations that weekend on the association’s behalf--offering to deposit all funds into an account designated for the exclusive use of the association to disburse as it wished (see Haikala PI, 22). The association’s leaders ignored these requests. Instead, they chose to use a third party to receive alumni donations rather than work with the University's financial officials (see Haikala PI, 22). This unapproved act, executed under the association's assertions of complete independence, placed the University out of compliance with its accreditation requirement in SACSCOC 5.3 regarding fundraising done in a university's name.

Following the 2018 Alumni Weekend (March 28-31), on April 16, 2018, the Board deliberated on the future of how the University would handle our Alumni Affairs. We prayerfully decided to adopt a new paradigm through which the University takes direct responsibility for the University's relationship with its Alumni. We based our decision on a number of factors, including the fact that this direct approach is considered best practice in alumni engagement today, as opposed to relying on the former association as an independent, third-party interface.

On April 16, 2018, the Board also took official action regarding the former association. Based on their general conduct—including their unprecedented rejection of any financial disclosure or accountability to our University--we voted unanimously to sever ties with the former association and, accordingly, we asked that they cease causing confusion by using our Oakwood University name or trademarks to raise funds. Sadly, we could not win cooperation with any of our pleas to resolve the dispute amicably. Our efforts to achieve any interim understanding failed due to the former association's refusal to honor numerous requests from the Board. Federal District Judge Madeline Haikala observed the insuperable difficulty of the obstacles we faced when she concluded, “The Alumni Association has demonstrated repeatedly that it is unwilling to compromise” (see Haikala PI, 58).

Therefore, in the absence of any cooperation, the Board was compelled to sue the association to protect the name and reputation of the University, and you, our donors. We were also compelled to make it clear to our publics that the former association no longer represented our University in its fundraising.  With many of you, we agree that this dispute should have never reached the point of legal action. In fact, with only a modicum of amenability, court action would have been rendered unnecessary. However, a statement in Judge Haikala’s Memorandum Opinion is particularly relevant, because it summarizes why we were unable to resolve the dispute. While addressing the former association’s concerns about the inconvenience of being required to remove “Oakwood University” from its name so quickly, the Court concluded: “...the Alumni Association brought the inconvenience [of changing its name] on itself; the whole matter could have been resolved with a bit of cooperation from the Association” (see Haikala PI, 57-58).
During the long course of this dispute, the Board has chosen not to comment on the many malicious and false allegations launched against the the Board of Trustees, the University, and the Administration of the University. Now that the case has been resolved, we, the Board of Trustees, choose to address a few of the false narratives based on the facts of this case before turning your attention to the future.

First, neither the President, his Administration nor any University officer suggested, recommended, advocated, nor appealed that the Board of Trustees sever ties with the former association. Instead, the Board made its decisions by carefully considering the facts later documented before the Court and the best future for the University. Between March and April of 2018, many Trustees personally experienced the intractability of the former association’s behavior. The Trustees did not need, and did not seek, the Administration’s recommendation. Contrary to a false rumor, this decision was not a part of a “hostile takeover” launched by the President, Alumni Relations, the Board Task Force, or anyone else in University administration. On April 16, 2018, we the Trustees, and we alone, voted unanimously, and within full prerogatives of our legal and fiduciary authority, to protect Oakwood University, now and in the future.

Second, the Board did not seek to "capitalize on the good name" of the former association. At the core of this trademark case was the legal and proprietary question of who owns the rights to the name "Oakwood University." The verdict of this case resolves the fundamental question for the present and the future. The former association challenged the University’s ownership of its name and trademarks, and predictably the former association's challenge failed. It was obvious to all that the University owns the name “Oakwood University.” The resolution of the lawsuit and the Court’s Permanent Injunction means that the University, as governed by its Board of Trustees, continues its control over the University’s name and trademarks. No entity can claim the marks and trademarks of the University apart from the University’s permission.

It also means that no unauthorized entity, such as the former association (or any affiliated chapter), may use the University’s name or trademarks. This fact of law explains why the Court required the association to change its name. An unauthorized, independent group may not claim to represent Oakwood in its fundraising. Nor can any group mislead or confuse our community or the general public about whether they are endorsed by or are authorized to collect funds for the University. To reinforce this fact, Judge Madeline Haikala’s order requires the former association and its affiliates to display the following disclaimer on all of its fundraising:
"The Original Oaks Alumni Association is an independent organization that is not affiliated with and does not represent Oakwood University. OOAA does not raise funds for Oakwood University."

This disclaimer means that you are entitled to know that any funds you donate to the Original Oaks (or any other non-authorized entity) will not go to the University or its capital campaigns. Any such donation will be going to an organization that is not connected to, and does not represent or report its financial status to, Oakwood University.

Third, the Board never claimed that University accreditation was lost or suspended or cited. Oakwood University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and must comply with its requirements and standards. SACSCOC standard 5.3 requires the University to maintain oversight of fundraising activities that benefit the institution. This rationale for requiring compliance from the former association was amply explained to the court by SACSCOC in its communication to the Court (see Haikala PI, 8-10). The actions taken by the Board were intended to protect and maintain University accreditation. Fundraising oversight and compliance are inextricably linked to maintaining our University's accreditation status.

Thankfully, today we have closed the book on these matters. The Court's permanent injunction in favor of the University's position validates the credibility and the legitimacy of the University's concerns and assertions. Judge Haikala's permanent injunction declares that any violations of this consent order by the officers, members, individuals acting in concert with the former Association, etc., are subject to further injunctive relief and attorney fee awards. With this matter behind the University, Oakwood University continues its forward movement toward its strategic future!​

Kiwi2020

Make the moment count...
Reaction score
Reactions
981 13 3
Alleybux
I wonder how much, if any, the_bird's transfer plays into all of this as they're sending him from ou to another location...

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,939 1,770 409
Alleybux
Do you think that Devon filing for divorce from Meagan Good has anything to do with the 7th Day Adventist Church? I wonder if they were pressured to have kids.

FutureMD

Reaction score
Reactions
166,850 5,303 1,347
Alleybux
Do you think that Devon filing for divorce from Meagan Good has anything to do with the 7th Day Adventist Church? I wonder if they were pressured to have kids.
Personally I highly doubt that, just based on the church they attend.