Quantcast

Black Beauty Standards (Men/Women)

Dillan Havoc

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,637 229 342
Alleybux
Growing up, Black women didn't need make-up to be considered pretty or beautiful. But in today's society it seems like we as a people are trying to or are ascribing to European standards of beauty. I keep hearing and seeing black is beautiful and black is king/queen... But is it really? To the faux-woke maybe. When you've had nose jobs, implants, facelifts, other peoples hair textures, etc. Does that mean that natural black is unpretty? Or does it mean that you don't like what you see when you look in the mirror?

And I know some of you will say let people live their lives and do what makes them happy... I agree, this is just a topic for discussion. What does black beauty mean to you?

FemNoire

PerpetuallyBlooming
Reaction score
Reactions
97,319 4,074 1,349
Alleybux
Black beauty means doing whatever tf I want to feel and look beautiful.

BW have given BM too much power over their appearance. BW do not subscribe to white standards of beauty, we subscribe to black men’s standards of beauty, which needs to end.

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,535 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
I agree with the makeup. I am leaning more towards no makeup to a little foundation. fµck all that contouring sh!t.

PrincessNeice

Essence on Chanel No. 5
Reaction score
Reactions
48,964 611 162
Alleybux
Black IS beauty.

Trends come and go- I think heavy makeup is in for all races but most people look better with natural looking makeup.

I agree with the person who said we put a lot of stock into what men want, but it’s always been that way.

ETA- I’m not coming for OP but I wonder if white women hold spaces like this.

We low key scrutinize everything we (black women) do. We need to be able to live- if drag makeup makes someone feel good, cool. And this “other people’s hair texture” bit is getting played out. Weave is part of our culture, and what?? This is why so many of us are insecure because of constant scrutiny and judgement of things that are a part of who we are. We are dynamic and can rock any hairstyle and slay- who else can do that?

I love black women so much- all of y’all are beautiful to me!!!

Last edited:

YourFavAngel

PM me for Tarot Readings!
Reaction score
Reactions
76,600 3,029 2,231
Alleybux
All I’m gonna say is this...that recent thread and Twitter debate where BW were calling braids and natural hair “childish” and “basic” in opposition to bundles/wigs speaks volumes as to where most BW’s heads are at in terms of beauty.

Even after a 10+ year long natural hair movement too many Black women still hate their own hair and view it as inferior.

just coco

immune to the gaslighting
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
126,115 3,810 4,298
Alleybux
Black beauty means doing whatever tf I want to feel and look beautiful.

BW have given BM too much power over their appearance. BW do not subscribe to white standards of beauty, we subscribe to black men’s standards of beauty, which needs to end.
thank you.......black males push that 'no make up' bµllsh!t to keep their victims isolated like the true abuser he is.........

YourFavAngel

PM me for Tarot Readings!
Reaction score
Reactions
76,600 3,029 2,231
Alleybux
I disagree with this for a number of reasons. This isn’t a topic that you all can blame Black men for at all.

First off, Black women scream 24/7 about how their hair, makeup, clothing, and grooming choices “aren’t done for men” or how they “aren’t looking for male approval” yet now all of a sudden when y’all are getting called out on the internalized self hatred that some of these practices speak to you wanna dodge accountability and say Black men made you do it? fµck outta here. This is women’s business—take accountability for once and leave them out of it.

On top of that, Black men overwhelmingly prefer natural hair on Black women and it’s actually weave/wigs that they hate and disparage. I’ve had natural hair literally my entire life and Black men have always loved and complimented me over it—whether it’s in my usual buns, a braid out, or even in my dookie braids. They literally love natural hair—it’s YALL who don’t like yourselves.

A isha baby

Becoming who I'm supposed to be
Reaction score
Reactions
78,888 4,585 4,680
Alleybux
Growing up, Black women didn't need make-up to be considered pretty or beautiful. But in today's society it seems like we as a people are trying to or are ascribing to European standards of beauty. I keep hearing and seeing black is beautiful and black is king/queen... But is it really? To the faux-woke maybe. When you've had nose jobs, implants, facelifts, other peoples hair textures, etc. Does that mean that natural black is unpretty? Or does it mean that you don't like what you see when you look in the mirror?

And I know some of you will say let people live their lives and do what makes them happy... I agree, this is just a topic for discussion. What does black beauty mean to you?
For black men: just be dark-skinned
For black women: be light skin. And if she has "good" hair and a big ass that's a +++++.
PERIODTT

FemNoire

PerpetuallyBlooming
Reaction score
Reactions
97,319 4,074 1,349
Alleybux
I disagree with this for a number of reasons. This isn’t a topic that you all can blame Black men for at all.

First off, Black women scream 24/7 about how their hair, makeup, clothing, and grooming choices “aren’t done for men” or how they “aren’t looking for male approval” yet now all of a sudden when y’all are getting called out on the internalized self hatred that some of these practices speak to you wanna dodge accountability and say Black men made you do it? fµck outta here. This is women’s business—take accountability for once and leave them out of it.

On top of that, Black men overwhelmingly prefer natural hair on Black women and it’s actually weave/wigs that they hate and disparage. I’ve had natural hair literally my entire life and Black men have always loved and complimented me over it—whether it’s in my usual buns, a braid out, or even in my dookie braids. They literally love natural hair—it’s YALL who don’t like yourselves.
I’ve argued enough with y’all on here.
Leave Me Alone Ricky Smiley GIF - LeaveMeAlone RickySmiley Basscustoms GIFs

Dillan Havoc

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,637 229 342
Alleybux

I never thought of it like this. I love your perspective and insight. Thank you.

Dillan Havoc

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,637 229 342
Alleybux
thank you.......black males push that 'no make up' bµllsh!t to keep their victims isolated like the true abuser he is.........
All of the black women I've dated were natural or permed. But none of them wore makeup. They've all had beautiful skin. Makeup isn't a bad thing go enhance your beauty. But when you're u recognizable without it... Houston we have a problem. Also, no one is telling women what to do. My cousin married a Muppet baby. Wig, lashes longer than a butterflies wings, face caked. There's someone for everyone. Sorry it you feel offended.

Sabby101101

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,301 86 56
Alleybux
I agree with the makeup. I am leaning more towards no makeup to a little foundation. fµck all that contouring sh!t.
Ain’t no one got time for that! & plus ppl be looking way different with contouring vs no contouring

jackieup

trying not to comment
Reaction score
Reactions
51,554 2,116 1,290
Alleybux

The whole idea of a beauty standard makes no sense to me.
Sure research has said people are attracted to certain features and ratios. but that research is surely biased.

But there's this thing called genetics. You look the way you look. period.
Beauty to me is being comfortable in your own skin.
You're not going to be pretty to everybody and that's okay.

Perms and hair straighteners have been around for ages. Proof that black people were trying to ascribe to european beauty standards already.

I'm seeing black people finally being comfortable with what they look like. Natural hair not being a political statement anymore.

Honestly, I don't think it's acceptable to say this, but I feel like people who get plastic surgery really need therapy instead.

Dillan Havoc

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,637 229 342
Alleybux
The whole idea of a beauty standard makes no sense to me.
Sure research has said people are attracted to certain features and ratios. but that research is surely biased.

But there's this thing called genetics. You look the way you look. period.
Beauty to me is being comfortable in your own skin.
You're not going to be pretty to everybody and that's okay.

Perms and hair straighteners have been around for ages. Proof that black people were trying to ascribe to european beauty standards already.

I'm seeing black people finally being comfortable with what they look like. Natural hair not being a political statement anymore.

Honestly, I don't think it's acceptable to say this, but I feel like people who get plastic surgery really need therapy instead.
Damn, I agree with you.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,724 234 191
Alleybux

It doesn’t mean either. It means people can do what they want to their face/body and if it makes them more happy to look at themselves in the mirror, then don’t bother questioning them about it. Doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate their black features. I’m so tired of y’all with this conversation. Yes, ima put my input on a conversation I’m tired of cause I usually don’t respond to it but it’s getting old. Y’all think plastic surgery is new amongst black people? Like it just started in the age of IG? Cause I can tell you right now it’s not. Think of your most natural and beautiful celeb in your head, I promise you they’ve had work done, even small stuff. Y’all only despise it when it’s noticeable. You say you are just having dialogue and trying to come off like you aren’t meaning to be offensive or cause disruption while in the same breath questioning if people should be called queens/kings if they aren’t natural. People like you are indeed the fake “woke” ones, the ones that don’t let people just be. It don’t matter what procedures people have done, being black ain’t gonna change none of that. This comment just goes to show people are only kings/queens in y’all’s eyes when they are to your standards.