Quantcast

Black Female Boxer Dropped By Showtime Because Of Her Brother's Antics

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,038 19,672 18,910
Alleybux
This is a sequel to my thread about the old man getting knocked out. The conclusion to the previous story is that the bout was canceled and rescheduled for a later date. Shields won of course. As y'all know already a movie is being made about her.

Ever since then she hasn't been seen on TV. Showtime quietly decided not to renew her contract. There's no official news report covering this but if you know you know. It's clear Showtime decided to punish her for costing them big bucks. She's also pissed off other people in boxing so we can see she's being quietly canceled.

Because of this she recently decided to get into MMA. She's been trying to get a Super Fight with a UFC superstar for the past two years.

Two-time Olympic gold medalist and boxing champion Claressa Shields is making the transition to MMA, signing with the Professional Fighters League, sources confirmed to The Athletic's Mike Coppinger and Lance Pugmire. MMAJunkie first broke the news.

Olympic gold medalist and boxing champ Claressa Shields signs with PFL: Sources

Some people are framing it as the industry letting down female boxers and especially Black female boxers. Others think otherwise.

@AskJa

They say she should've kissed Showtime's ass because they were overpaying her. They call her a c*nt and a primadonna. She refused to do things that would help promote her fights. I have been told everyone in the industry thinks she's racist because she always backs the Black fighters and never the white or Hispanic ones. When it's two Black fighters she's radio silent. They all noticed this and are disgusted with her. Without a Network deal, she's screwed. They say she's stubborn and doesn't listen to anyone including people in her circle.

DZbornak

I’m not patronizing you, I’m a-mocking you
Reaction score
Reactions
152,560 5,365 1,568
Alleybux
I like Clarissa (as a boxer, I don’t know anything about her personal life) and I’m sorry to hear this happened to her.

Teamplayer

Who Dey + Lambeau Leap
Reaction score
Reactions
444,120 18,671 4,883
Alleybux
I'd say this is the boxing old heads fault right here. None of the top names that have the media's ear are taking her or Shakur Stevenson under their wing. Young black boxing talent stays getting buried.

"She refused to do things that would help promote her fights."

It could have been heaux sh!t or them asking her to smile more again.

21andover

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
182,956 4,044 1,602
Alleybux
This is a sequel to my thread about the old man getting knocked out. The conclusion to the previous story is that the bout was canceled and rescheduled for a later date. Shields won of course. As y'all know already a movie is being made about her.

Ever since then she hasn't been seen on TV. Showtime quietly decided not to renew her contract. There's no official news report covering this but if you know you know. It's clear Showtime decided to punish her for costing them big bucks. She's also pissed off other people in boxing so we can see she's being quietly canceled.

Because of this she recently decided to get into MMA. She's been trying to get a Super Fight with a UFC superstar for the past two years.

Olympic gold medalist and boxing champ Claressa Shields signs with PFL: Sources

Some people are framing it as the industry letting down female boxers and especially Black female boxers. Others think otherwise.

@AskJa

They say she should've kissed Showtime's ass because they were overpaying her. They call her a c*nt and a primadonna. She refused to do things that would help promote her fights. I have been told everyone in the industry thinks she's racist because she always backs the Black fighters and never the white or Hispanic ones. When it's two Black fighters she's radio silent. They all noticed this and are disgusted with her. Without a Network deal, she's screwed. They say she's stubborn and doesn't listen to anyone including people in her circle.

Doesn’t she have a movie coming out?

Blue Lotus

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,875 672 256
Alleybux
I not sure if I believe this she has been talking about getting into mma way before the incident with her brother because its more pay and the mma promote their women fighters more than boxing plus she said there was better competition

I'm not saying showtime didn't let her go I really don't know im saying her decision to go to mma has nothing to do with this

Teamplayer

Who Dey + Lambeau Leap
Reaction score
Reactions
444,120 18,671 4,883
Alleybux

Screenshot_20210114-172407.jpg

He didn't lie. Smh

Watching You

I sacrifice scary b!tches to the graveyard!!!!!!!!
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
36,230 4,172 844
Alleybux
Wow this sucks to hear. I've heard of her before. The boxing world doesn't do much to promote their female fighters and I imagine it's worse if you're a black woman. I know she has called out Amanda Nunes before only for Nunes to tell her to come to the Octagon. Where is Floyd Mayweather or Tyson. I thought they mentored young folks new to the boxing game? Is their tutelage only reserved for the men? Mayweather was so go-ho about mentoring and teaching Ronda Rousey despite her calling him out of his name several times. If Claressa is really serious about UFC, she should look to Holly Holm as a mentor and example; I see she's training with Holly's camp Jackson/Wink down in New Mexico. The only thing I'm worried about is the pay when it comes to these promotions. The women get paid scraps; the only woman who was seeing that kind of money in UFC was Ronda Rousey and that was mainly due to endorsements. Showtime can suck a fat one; she's under no obligation to promote and cheese with those white and Hispanic boxers and their racist fanbases.

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,038 19,672 18,910
Alleybux
@Teamplayer

Christie Martin was live on the TBV and said Shields is an unlikeable personality. She said you can't be a villain as a female boxer like Floyd Mayweather. Later on people called in(after she left) to call her out. She also stated her favorite female boxer was katie Taylor. In a fantasy matchup she said Lalia Ali would dominate Shields. FYI, Lalia is All Lives Matters.

970596922.0.jpg

Teamplayer

Who Dey + Lambeau Leap
Reaction score
Reactions
444,120 18,671 4,883
Alleybux
@Teamplayer

Christie Martin was live on the TBV and said Shields is an unlikeable personality. She said you can't be a villain as a female boxer like Floyd Mayweather. Later on people called in(after she left) to call her out. She also stated her favorite female boxer was katie Taylor. In a fantasy matchup she said Lalia Ali would dominate Shields. FYI, Lalia is All Lives Matters.

970596922.0.jpg

But Ronda Rousey could be a villain in women's UFC? The sh-t worked for her, and why does female boxing need a bunch of nice girls? When does "nice" sell fights?

People would have paid top dollar to see Ann Wolfe vs Ali. This white woman doesn't understand marketing in the fight game. Nobody cares about Katie Taylor...just a fact.

Last edited:

Dollxbaby

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,229 316 120
Alleybux
She already beat all the women in boxing. There isn’t much competition or opportunities in that sport right now for women. She can make the same amount of money in the PFL mma league and in 2 years when she is more experienced she can make big money in the UFC. She’s is still young enough (25) to switch. She has star potential if she can learn wrestling/bjj and kicking

ShawtOrdaCook

Resident Nay'Murican
Reaction score
Reactions
88,513 2,735 341
Alleybux
I don't know. I know the matchmaking in Bellator is soft compared to UFC. I don't know about this organization.

@ShawtOrdaCook
It was OK for this fight- Shields still has a lot of holes in her game that she needs to patch up before getting near a championship, and IDK what the hell her opponent was doing in there. This seemed like a showcase/soft fight, given what went on. We'll see with the next opponent, though.