Quantcast

Black folk & the paranormal

That_Wench

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,883 1,355 230
Alleybux
I'm looking to connect with other descendants of formerly enslaved Americans as I'm curious what you were taught about the paranormal. I dabble in both genealogical and paranormal research. I have traced several lines of my tree back to the 1850s. These ancestors were enslaved people with the oldest documented ancestor being born in the late 1790s.

Speaking in terms of generations, my mom's family has been in Georgia while my dad's family is from Tennessee. I am lucky to say that on both sides of my family, there are structures that still exist dating to the mid-1800s. Specifically, the house where my grandmother (who was born in 1912/1913) and her father were born (early 1890s) still stands. I would love to visit the farm and do an EVP session to see if any of my ancestors would speak to me.

Now, I don't know about other Black folk descended from American slaves, but I was taught that talking about ghosts was off-limits. Don't say the names of deceased people because their restless spirit may find you. Or, don't whistle inside of the house as roaming spirits believe it's an invitation. However, my grandmother also told me about being born "with a veil" which allowed you to see into the spirit world. She was born with such a veil, and she loved telling me ghost stories as many of them were just interactions with friends and family members who had passed on.

There was one story from when my grandmother was a new mom in her late teens. My uncle was colicky and was crying non-stop. My grandmother was in a panic, and was seriously at the point of wishing harm on my uncle. So, she placed him in the cradle and walked away, then she began praying to her ancestors for help. His cradle was located in the corner, and my grandma recalled seeing a shadow arm appear from that wall and begin to rock his cradle. He started laughing, then she heard someone tell her to rest, which she did.

I have trips planned to visit my family's lands in Georgia and Tennessee this summer. Primarily, I will be focused on researching land deeds and obtaining copies of marriage/death/birth certificates if they exist, but I am also thinking of visiting these lands to talk with my folk.

How many of you also learned about the "veil"? Were you taught talking about ghosts was taboo? On a sidenote, my research is likely to take me to a few plantations, and I know there are members of my family who absolutely refuse to visit a plantation. Have you or would you be willing to?

Sly Kitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
53,751 936 115
Alleybux
Don't say the names of deceased people because their restless spirit may find you. Or, don't whistle inside of the house as roaming spirits believe it's an invitation.

This is interesting because I was brought up the same way.

My family is descended from slaves that were enslaved at the Jones Plantation right outside of Raleigh, NC. My family tree has been researched/documented to the point that my father kept official records in a safe.

Half of my family settled in Garner, NC and I am practically related to every black person that lives there. The other half made their way north to NY. Whenever we visited back home, my father would visit the gravesite of his mother and father who were buried on top of each other and we as children were hushed for several days after. Whistling was an absolute no no.

Great topic, OP!

LaIndigo

Learning to love moments for themselves.
Reaction score
Reactions
45,307 615 73
Alleybux
I have family from Louisiana. Sadly, I kind of tuned them out when discussing paranormal topics so I don't have much to offer. But I am also curious to actually listen and learn this time around!

Super interesting topic!

Sly Kitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
53,751 936 115
Alleybux
I have family from Louisiana.

You should do the research and you may surprise yourself!

In my early 30s, I decided to do research on my family tree and found an old Census that showed my father as a 6 year old in Harlem (1940 Census). Something about seeing his name along with my aunts and my grands made me dig further.

EightiesDoll

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
98,760 17,606 425
Alleybux
Talking about the paranormal was never off limits in my family. We loved talking about that kinda thing honestly. My mom always tells me about how her uncle who passed checked in to stop my toddler self from jacking myself up. We found comfort in the ancestors checking in on us and making sure we are alright. What we couldn’t do though was have ouija board and other spirit contact paraphernalia. That was off limits.

I don’t know if I could visit a plantation.

THE GENERAL

︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶
Reaction score
Reactions
428,696 17,527 10,026
Alleybux
I would never visit a plantation but my mom has a lot of dreams about deceased descendants so talking about the dead and the paranormal has never been off limits.

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,418 18,059
Alleybux
I'm looking to connect with other descendants of formerly enslaved Americans as I'm curious what you were taught about the paranormal. I dabble in both genealogical and paranormal research. I have traced several lines of my tree back to the 1850s. These ancestors were enslaved people with the oldest documented ancestor being born in the late 1790s.

Speaking in terms of generations, my mom's family has been in Georgia while my dad's family is from Tennessee. I am lucky to say that on both sides of my family, there are structures that still exist dating to the mid-1800s. Specifically, the house where my grandmother (who was born in 1912/1913) and her father were born (early 1890s) still stands. I would love to visit the farm and do an EVP session to see if any of my ancestors would speak to me.

Now, I don't know about other Black folk descended from American slaves, but I was taught that talking about ghosts was off-limits. Don't say the names of deceased people because their restless spirit may find you. Or, don't whistle inside of the house as roaming spirits believe it's an invitation. However, my grandmother also told me about being born "with a veil" which allowed you to see into the spirit world. She was born with such a veil, and she loved telling me ghost stories as many of them were just interactions with friends and family members who had passed on.

There was one story from when my grandmother was a new mom in her late teens. My uncle was colicky and was crying non-stop. My grandmother was in a panic, and was seriously at the point of wishing harm on my uncle. So, she placed him in the cradle and walked away, then she began praying to her ancestors for help. His cradle was located in the corner, and my grandma recalled seeing a shadow arm appear from that wall and begin to rock his cradle. He started laughing, then she heard someone tell her to rest, which she did.

I have trips planned to visit my family's lands in Georgia and Tennessee this summer. Primarily, I will be focused on researching land deeds and obtaining copies of marriage/death/birth certificates if they exist, but I am also thinking of visiting these lands to talk with my folk.

How many of you also learned about the "veil"? Were you taught talking about ghosts was taboo? On a sidenote, my research is likely to take me to a few plantations, and I know there are members of my family who absolutely refuse to visit a plantation. Have you or would you be willing to?
I was taught not to whistle inside the house, but was never told why, just that it’s bad. And I’ve heard of the veil. This is very interesting. When I have the opportunity I plan on looking into this a bit more. Thanks for this thread

LaIndigo

Learning to love moments for themselves.
Reaction score
Reactions
45,307 615 73
Alleybux
I would never visit a plantation but my mom has a lot of dreams about deceased descendants so talking about the dead and the paranormal has never been off limits.
Now this I do remember learning distinctly.

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,533 33,082 27,391
Alleybux

I was told I was born with a veil and that if you speak on the dead knock on wood 3 times

XquisitelyMe

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
890 34 16
Alleybux
When I visited my family’s land in SC as a toddler, I would constantly point & ask who this or that person was. I could describe them to a T though i never saw pictures of them. I scared myself so bad that I ignored my abilities. I would love to use it now but with small children I am kind of on the fence. I would definitely visit the plantation with my family’s name on it.

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,533 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
Talking about the paranormal was never off limits in my family. We loved talking about that kinda thing honestly. My mom always tells me about how her uncle who passed checked in to stop my toddler self from jacking myself up. We found comfort in the ancestors checking in on us and making sure we are alright. What we couldn’t do though was have ouija board and other spirit contact paraphernalia. That was off limits.

I don’t know if I could visit a plantation.
This!
My mom told me my GG checked in on me when I was born. She saw her standing over my crib watching me as if she was guarding me

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,533 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
When I visited my family’s land in SC as a toddler, I would constantly point & ask who this or that person was. I could describe them to a T though i never saw pictures of them. I scared myself so bad that I ignored my abilities. I would love to use it now but with small children I am kind of on the fence. I would definitely visit the plantation with my family’s name on it.
I had this too. I vividly remember as a child going to my gma house and seeing people that I now realize could have been ghosts?

D E L E T E

DELETE ACCOUNT
Reaction score
Reactions
86,235 6,032 1,872
Alleybux
You can communicate with your ancestors without visiting the plantation. It's called necromancy. You can start an altar for them, leave offering, speak with them. They communicate more often in dreams.

Visiting the plantation if you're sensitive you're more likely to encounter trauma imprints of souls. They're not always nice because they spent so much time in pain, it makes them feral spirits. They don't think like the spirits you talk to in your ancestral line, they're like a piece of a person frozen in time.

The "being born with a veil" is referring to a caul still attached at birth. There are superstitions all around the world for the caul. In Russia or south america (can't remember) I think it even means the baby is a vampire lol. In root traditions (black america) it is more likely to mean psychic.

I'll come back when I'm done fixing dinner to read through the thread see if I got any thing else.

Amandabby22

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
424,121 10,583 6,680
Alleybux
My family never speaks on those types of things. I did have a medium tell me that my deceased grandmother has psychic abilities and she was unsure if I knew that or not.
I don’t know if any one in my family was born with those abilities as well because it isn’t talked about.

They’re also Christians so once a person dies the body is a shell and the spirit goes to heaven or hell.. anything other than that my family doesn’t acknowledge it. When my grandmother passed she clearly came to me and my siblings as well my mother in our dreams and my mother acted like it was a coincidence. :confused:

I have a strong intuition and I’m starting to believe I’m clairaudient. Lately I’ve been hearing music in my ear and I can never find the source. Last night for example I’ve heard distinct marching band music for 15 minutes and even if I put on music or turned on background noise I could still hear it.. semi loudly. When it stopped I started hearing a man’s voice.. almost like he was arguing. I couldn’t make out the words but I could hear him talking. It wasn’t until I verbally said “Stop” out loud until everything went quiet.
To my knowledge I don’t have any serious mental health issues so I know I’m not going crazy. :arrogant

I wish my family was more open minded about things like this... I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s coming in contacts with spirits or “ghosts”. I would love to go to a plantation just to see what happens.

Lilliup

We’re Not the same Tribe
Reaction score
Reactions
31,995 3,099 2,226
Alleybux
When we first moved to WVa we lived in my great grandparents house. We saw some weird stuff and decesed family members. My older bro and I started sleep walking and my twin saw a uncle in a casket in a dream. We later went to a great cousin funeral and he looked just like our uncle. A few months later out uncle passed, my twin never had a dream that she remembered again.

This all started when I was 3 and we all saw some scary messed up stuff in that house. We later found out that my grandpa said that "it's only family and family won't hurt you" when my mom told him about our experiences. But we were attacked and our bodies were moved as we slept in that house, amongst other things, like electricuted etc.

I'm just saying not everyone or thing on that land might be family or something else. I did later find out that the basement was once rental rooms for miners and there was a old well in the basement. But it was covered when we lived there.

Ancestors have contacted us our whole lives that I can tell so I have no desire to visit that old house again. There's also a family burial site on that land and that brings up even more memories..... Be careful what you see and spin around 3 or 4 times once you leave that land.

Lilliup

We’re Not the same Tribe
Reaction score
Reactions
31,995 3,099 2,226
Alleybux

My bro was born with a veil too and would complain about "that man" that no one else could see. A woman took care of my daughter when she was 2 months old and put her in her crib for me but I was home alone and my family was down south. She looked like family but I didn't know her but felt that she was safe to take my daughter out of my arms and I fell back to sleep while she hummed my baby to sleep. I woke up the next morning in that same rocking chair and my daughter was in her crib behind a closed door fast asleep. That shook me up I would say more but it's night time and I gotta stop now.

Good luck on your endeavors though and stay prayed up. This could be a beautiful experience for you.

_hazelnut92

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
1,021 32 1
Alleybux
My family is Christian and don’t talk about stuff like that. My mother and I have very vivid dreams and I think it’s a way of spirits communicating and helping us out but like I said, my moms a Christian and doesn’t think much about it.
Though a couple days before my blind and schizophrenic (so paranoid, angry was his baseline personality) grandpa died my mother told me (YEARS later) that in the middle of the night she found him happy, dancing in the living room with God, and that his feet were not on the floor. That something was pulling him up. He died very shortly after that. That’s the only paranormal thing my family has discussed. And that was just my mom.

_hazelnut92

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
1,021 32 1
Alleybux
Also when I was in middle school I seriously don’t think I was dreaming!! I saw 2 old men running towards me and as they got closer they disappeared. I literally refused to fall asleep facing the door for years after that

BusyAhhBee

Extroverted Introvert
Reaction score
Reactions
22,472 259 98
Alleybux
Yeeeessssss!! these are my fave kind of threads!! Someone post something scary, I will be back with a story after this edible wears off and that’s on fatha gawd! too high to read this and not be paranoid
:D:eat:excruciating:moneymouth

ebonyrose

Joining DULOVEMEDO for 6 month hiatus from LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
82,130 2,159 908
Alleybux
How many of you also learned about the "veil"? Were you taught talking about ghosts was taboo? On a side note, my research is likely to take me to a few plantations, and I know there are members of my family who absolutely refuse to visit a plantation. Have you or would you be willing to?
I heard about the 'veil' and my granny told plenty of ghosts stories.

I don't know about visiting plantations where they were enslaved though.

Isis Diamond

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,563 2,782 2,581
Alleybux
My family is Christian, but they don't believe in ghosts.

I've been to a plantation multiple times where some of my ancestors were enslaved. I never felt or saw anything. I'd actually love to believe in ghosts because it would mean my dead relatives are still "alive" but I don't.

_hazelnut92

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
1,021 32 1
Alleybux
Doesn’t Hoodoo magic deal with ancestors who were enslaved? I don’t know much about it at all. But I think that’s something you have to be careful with because like another poster said, they lived hard painful lives so what you experience may be scary or dangerous

DZbornak

I’m not patronizing you, I’m a-mocking you
Reaction score
Reactions
152,555 5,365 1,568
Alleybux
My paternal grandparents were the first free black people born on that side of the family. My mom’s family comes from a wealthy black community in North Carolina and dating back to the 1700s they were not enslaved at any point.

Neither of my parents believe in “the paranormal,” at least we don’t believe in ghosts and things like that, but both of my parents are in medicine and both believe in souls and the afterlife. They both say that working in medicine makes you know that stuff is real.

My dad is also very Christian, my mom is more of a non-religious Christian if that makes sense, I’m Agnostic and I don’t really believe in anything paranormal.

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,593 4,239 1,018
Alleybux
Wish I could go incog but what the fµck.

I no longer believe in ghosts.

When I was younger, my pops would tell me about the encounters HIS dad said HE had with ghosts. However, I haven't seen the slightest hint of my dad since he died in any way, shape, or form, and I think if ghosts were possible he would reveal himself to me since we used to talk about the supernatural. I know he was always afraid of/had a respect for the dead.

For a couple months after he passed I would just sit around expecting him to show up. It's kind of pathetic, I guess.

So, since he hasn't shown up except in my dreams (I have dreams involving him ALL the time) I no longer believe in ghosts.

On the other hand, my husband's mother and brother BOTH said they saw the ghost of my husband's dad after he died, so I don't know!!!

Guess my pops went to the other side like, "I ain't got time to be haunting people" and found something better to do.

LOL. You have to laugh to keep from crying. SMH.

Anyway, I will say that it doesn't even feel like my pops has passed. I have so much video footage of him that I'm never really going to forget how he looked or sounded, and I guess that is more important than...if he was a ghost he would show up. I guess if he won't show up as a ghost, the memories are the next best thing.

I will say that I've been tempted to hold a seance to reach out to him. My husband believes in the supernatural and volunteered to conduct one with me, but...I'm good.

I will say that realizing ghosts don't exist is kind of a letdown. I was a fan of ghost stories, novels, etc. my whole life, and now, it's like...that sh!t is all made up. It's not the same reading it anymore.

_hazelnut92

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
1,021 32 1
Alleybux
Wish I could go incog but what the fµck.

I no longer believe in ghosts.

When I was younger, my pops would tell me about the encounters HIS dad said HE had with ghosts. However, I haven't seen the slightest hint of my dad since he died in any way, shape, or form, and I think if ghosts were possible he would reveal himself to me since we used to talk about the supernatural. I know he was always afraid of/had a respect for the dead.

For a couple months after he passed I would just sit around expecting him to show up. It's kind of pathetic, I guess.

So, since he hasn't shown up except in my dreams (I have dreams involving him ALL the time) I no longer believe in ghosts.

On the other hand, my husband's mother and brother BOTH said they saw the ghost of my husband's dad after he died, so I don't know!!!

Guess my pops went to the other side like, "I ain't got time to be haunting people" and found something better to do.

LOL. You have to laugh to keep from crying. SMH.

Anyway, I will say that it doesn't even feel like my pops has passed. I have so much video footage of him that I'm never really going to forget how he looked or sounded, and I guess that is more important than...if he was a ghost he would show up. I guess if he won't show up as a ghost, the memories are the next best thing.

I will say that I've been tempted to hold a seance to reach out to him. My husband believes in the supernatural and volunteered to conduct one with me, but...I'm good.

I will say that realizing ghosts don't exist is kind of a letdown. I was a fan of ghost stories, novels, etc. my whole life, and now, it's like...that sh!t is all made up. It's not the same reading it anymore.
Are you SURE he is not visiting you via your dreams?? You could also visit a psychic (one with excellent reviews though not just anyone)

people get visits from dead people all the time in dreams but there’s key things to look for. many people report “dreams” that are not really dreams but super realistic visions where they see that person glowing, or in white, or covered in warm light, and living in some form of paradise...and if they were sick in their life that ailment is not present in the vision, the person is free of illness.

OctoberBlu

The Heiress
Reaction score
Reactions
73,679 1,863 306
Alleybux
My mom was religious (plus superstitious) and so was my maternal grandmother and grandfather. We talked about ghost and movies, shoot my mom was the main one I'd watched scary movies with. I had a neighbor who told great scary stories to the neighborhood kids.

My mom would mention things she had been by her mother like,
Burning your shed hair so people can't use it against you (root work/voodoo/hoodoo)

Covering mirrors during a thunderstorm because they attract lightening

If you hear your name being called wait to answer (I think there's a scientific term for this)

I have an aunt who was born with a caul (same as the phrase mentioned about, born with a veil)

Edit: typos

Last edited:

sally jupiter

✼ꙮ✼ꙮ✼ꙮ✼ꙮ✼ꙮ
Reaction score
Reactions
56,160 848 448
Alleybux

Interesting. My mom always told me not to whistle in the house too but wouldn’t really elaborate.

tgm06

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,068 121 12
Alleybux

my father's side (including me) are clairs. there's also a great deal of mental illness. there's a correlation and most cant come back from the darkness. grew up Christian, so were taught to fear voodoo/hoodoo/witches. I'm not saying exact location, just look closely at the words i used :) I've visited plantations, very emotional experience. made me cry when i was younger, and i didnt' understand all that much then.

Toebeans

Reaction score
Reactions
114,811 2,648 102
Alleybux
I've heard of the veil/caul. My great grandmother was born with one. I never met her and I knew this. It was respected it seems. No one said that about me but they may not have known either as my mom was knocked out for my birth. What they say about gg is how I am and my grandmother recognized this.
Things like this were talked about but hushed. We are a Catholic family who dabbles.

MEEEETOOO

Da cutest chick u ever saw is a Chickasaw squaw
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
46,579 1,628 578
Alleybux
I come from a long line of Louisiana Creole witches/warlocks and Black Native Americans, needles to say that the paranormal has always been a part of my families life/history, both sides of my family have spiritual gifts that have been passed down through out the generations, so you can only imagine the creepy and craziness of it all..lol

I have a auntie who put some sort of spell on my uncle over 30 years to make him stay, now she wants one of us to go back to her old home and dig up whatever she buried in that back yard, so that he will now go the fµck away and stop bothering her, she can't get rid of him and he's always on her LAST nerve..LMAO

MsNewLyfe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,991 554 376
Alleybux
On my dad's side the a male from each generation are able to see the dead because of being born with the veil. My uncle, brother and my son all can.

sunflowerz

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,193 31 42
Alleybux
This is interesting because I was brought up the same way.

My family is descended from slaves that were enslaved at the Jones Plantation right outside of Raleigh, NC. My family tree has been researched/documented to the point that my father kept official records in a safe.

Half of my family settled in Garner, NC and I am practically related to every black person that lives there. The other half made their way north to NY. Whenever we visited back home, my father would visit the gravesite of his mother and father who were buried on top of each other and we as children were hushed for several days after. Whistling was an absolute no no.

Great topic, OP!

Fake Francie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,751 4,289 229
Alleybux
. Don't say the names of deceased people because their restless spirit may find you. Or, don't whistle inside of the house as roaming spirits believe it's an invitation.

We weren't told to not speak the names of dead people, but we were told not to "summon" dead people. As far a whistling, were were just told it is bad luck to whistle in the house.

Fake Francie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,751 4,289 229
Alleybux
Burning your shed hair so people can use it against you (root work/voodoo/hoodoo)
My grandpa would burn our hair, our nail clippings, and even scabs and the skin we picked from around our fingers. If he saw us picking at our skin, he made us give it to him. LOL.