Quantcast

Black Fonts: Is K-Pop really Popular in your Country ?

Taz98

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,352 673 277
Alleybux
In the UK.
Other than seeing a video on late night music channels, not really. Their stans overestimate or embellish their popularity. The general population isn’t interested nor is checking them. The only non black cultural genre that gets some serious play over here is Latin pop

Last edited:

Nebulous

if it isn't edible I'll still find good use for it
Reaction score
Reactions
85,523 1,964 507
Alleybux
Reporting from the Netherlands to you:

I don't listen to the radio or watch MTV, but I have noticed that the National Dutch News at 8 did mention it when BTS or G-Dragon came here for performances, and on their website they often write about K-pop, or report the death of an idol.

K-pop is very popular here - from dancing classes to Dutch artists doing Dutch K-pop (D-pop? *shrugs*) - but since BT$' fans are cray cray, and they collect money worldwide so that they can buy their boys' albums in bulk (thus propelling them to #1 once again), I can't really tell how organic the popularity is of the top 100 of the 500+ groups and artists.

I do know that the fans are very loyal, and beside streaming they also buy physical albums which I applaud (I'm old school).
Many black youtubers listen and react to K-pop as well, as do music producers, classical musicians, ******** and metalheads et cetera, and I like how people from various sub-cultures dare to venture out to unknown genres (and enjoy it).

I did hear Monsta X's Play It Cool (Ft. Steve Aoki) in my mall a while ago - and yes, I embarrassed my oldest son by starting to dance :LOL:

Most critics always say that these groups are just mimicking the boy groups from the 1990s. Well, let me tell you: they are much much better ( I was in my 20s during the 1990s). They won't ever beat the girl groups like En Vogue, Salt and Peppa, and TLC, but yeah, I would trade in the Backstreet Boys and 'n Sync in a heart beat :LOL:

SK had a strict dictatorial regime till 1997. The first American artist they saw was Michael Jackson and that man was like mana from heaven to them. The majority of young-adults and older are obsessed with hiphop and rock, jazz (is HUGE in SK) and traditional Korean music. In 30 years time the country became what it is today but poverty still exists, as do xenophobia and nationalism. It isn't just the fact that they blatantly steal from Black American sub-cultures while still using racist tropes: it's their denial that is so annoying and offending.
But then I just realize that they're still a backwater country (still officially at war with NK) amidst a heavy identity crisis, and I just smirk, knowing their wake-up call will come one day.

Back to K-pop: yes, it is popular in my neck of the woods, and yes, I too enjoy it. But then again, I enjoy music from across the world, from various African countries to Roma or Sinti music and even Northumbrian folkore and metal. I just love music *shrugs*

Edited because I forgot I cannot say "Necks of Red" anymore here...

Cutiefab

The Hound’s b*tch
Reaction score
Reactions
121,951 4,994 4,289
Alleybux
My lil sis and niece love K-pop, so much that they are asking me to go to Korea with them.

I understand they have a lot of fans in the younger generations.

Covfefe

In the end, we win.
Reaction score
Reactions
373,926 25,005 3,031
Alleybux
I was a huge kpop stan in the past so I'm not judging. But these group's "success" seems to be somewhat overblown imo.

It absolutely is. Most of the GP in the UK and the U.S don't know Kpop, don't want to know about Kpop, and generally couldn't give two poops about Kpop.

Fans of the "biggest" Kpop groups mass stream their videos - some even hire out entire Internet cafes - just so their fave group can break streaming records.

Fans also buy multiple copies of albums. I saw a post on twitter from a woman who bought about 50 copies of one album so that she could win a video call with her favourite member.

This really isn't uncommon in Kpop. A lot of the fans have money (including their parents money) and they have nothing better to do with it than support their favourite groups.

Also, if you see a Kpop group on a show like James Corden or Ellen, it's probably because their company paid the show to have them on. I don't know about morning shows, though.

1m_the_one

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,934 24 16
Alleybux
Yes.

I heard a random group of people (Gen Z of course) talking about them in cafe just over a year ago. That's how I knew they were starting to get popular.

At this point, you'll come across a lot of people who have at least heard of BTS even if they can't name one song. That's popular enough these days.

Kikyo

Mrs Seokjin, Stupid People annoy me
Reaction score
Reactions
56,411 431 174
Alleybux
It sure is! Add Krnb , K hip hip, Crnb, Coop, Chiphop, jpop is picking up and so is indo pop, qpop, reggaeton and other styles of music. The same way Afro beats, hiphop, reggeaton, Nollywood, gollywood is picking up in Asian countries and across the globe. We live in a globalized world people, get over it. Policing and gatekeeping what people ought to listen to and questioning the authenticity is dumb and archaic in my opinion. The time I think should be best used championing your preferred artists or songs or entertainment you like in a genre, introducing new people to them. My two cents xx

Ps Jason Derulo attempted to steal savage love and yes the remix only went up to number one because of BTS. Army bought, streamed and bought the hell out of that song. If anything, we ought to learn a few things and implement them to make "our" artists popular and go viral instead of whinging .

Last edited:

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux
I wouldn’t know who they are if it wasn’t for LSA and I don’t know anyone who knows about it (younger millennial).

they are extremely popular more so than people think but you may not realize it because their industry work differently than in the US, with a very sound business model,

In the US, the music industry promotes the artist to stardome while with K-pop, it's the opposite, it's the artist who promotes the K-Pop music industry to stardom, the artist is just an employee just like the makeup artists and they do a lot of their money through brand advertising which is where the big money is, and they are extremely popular among the most important segment of the population when it comes to brand advertising which is Teenagers

a lot of people don't realize it but Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Jason Derulo, they all have more Youtube videos view count and probably make more money on average than Beyonce despite her being a far more talented and accomplished artist them all together because of the Teenagers effect which bring the most Brand Ads money

Reaction score
Reactions
12,671 258 87
Alleybux
For people who said no are delusional BTS didn't perform at stadium after stadiums with more people requesting for more for them to not just be popular. Please tell me which other artists can perform at stadiums around the world. They are making more money than almost all artists in American. When it comes to albums, FC, concerts, streaming and more, American artists are not beating BTS on any of it. Are people on LSA teenagers too because a lot of them are fans too or other kpop, have anyone of you been to their concerts for you conclude their fans are all young. They have variety of people that like and listen to them. Remember they are not from American or uk so any money they make are converd into their country money which is quite a lot and they can live the rest of their life without worrying.they get paid a lot of money more other kpop groups or artists even more our so called famous artists to appear on the show or to use their brand. Artist in American might be more famous but that doesn't turn into money I mean look at onlyfan page these are our so called artists or social media our own artists barely make any money anymore while kpop are making millions over here than the ones we have here. What does that tell you. Bts boys been having black card, expensive buildings in their name and more the same thing can't be said for the so called famous artists in America

This is what I mean when I say the kpop industry is fascinating. Obviously most fans are normal, but the tactics the companies use also create delusional, obsessed, hyper focused fans that tie their identity into these kpop groups. Just like this one.

They create a dynamic where fans are so personally invested in the group and take any perceived negative comment about them as a personal insult. The fans are so loud online that you’d think the groups are extremely popular, but you don’t see the online popularity translate into the general population (at least in the western world).

Like other people have mentioned, the views and sales in kpop isn’t organic. Obsessed fans will bulk buy albums, hire bots to get views and stream on multiple devices around the clock to inflate their group’s success. BTS is a prime example, the songs will initially chart high on billboard etc, but they usually quickly fall since the fans can’t sustain the streaming and buying long term.

They sometimes even encourage certain types of stalkers called “sasaengs”, but that’s a whole different box of crazy.

Last edited:

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux
What's black twitter suppose to do about it? Probably a lot of black people don't know who these artists are in the first place. They're not following their careers to see that they are culture vultures. Plus when tweens and teens are heavily into something, ain't no amount of twitter outrage going to disrupt that. People like them because they are different and Asians in different countries are happy to have international stars to idolize. This type of thing just has to wear itself out. I've seen a few of them have tried to have their own American careers and flopped, so I doubt they will make it past being a "fad" unless they start learning to Americanize their careers right.

Black Twitter can do real damage not to one particular artist, but to the entire K-Pop industry with just a few controversial viral hashtags, they can get the entire Liberal bashing media on their ass and before you know it the Brand advertisers which are their main source of income will shudder a little

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux
This is what I mean when I say the kpop industry is fascinating. Obviously most fans are normal, but the tactics the companies use also create delusional, obsessed, hyper focused fans that tie their identity into these kpop groups. Just like this one.

They create a dynamic where fans are so personally invested in the group that any perceived negative comment about them as a personal insult. The fans are so loud online that you’d think the groups are extremely popular, but you don’t see the online popularity translate into the general population (at least in the western world).

Like other people have mentioned, the views and sales in kpop isn’t organic. Obsessed fans will bulk buy albums, hire bots to get views and stream on multiple devices around the clock to inflate their group’s success. BTS is a prime example, the songs will initially chart high on billboard etc, but they usually quickly fall since the fans can’t sustain the streaming and buying long term.

They sometimes even encourage certain types of stalkers called “sasaengs”, but that’s a whole different box of crazy.

their tactic is brand advertising, you only have to watch their video to realize that each of them including the artist is an advertisement of a whimsical lifestyle of cute teenage boys and girls, it's a like a video game with real perfomer.

these teanages boys and girls are obsessed with it for the same reason they are obsessed with those who play video games on Youtube

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux
tenor.gif

Popular and mainstream are two different things. They might be popular but they aren't mainstream. Sorry but most people ain't checking for kpop like their fans think they are, maybe one day they'll be mainstream but outside of gen z and their rabid fanbase I don't anyone who really knows or talks about kpop like that.

it only took me a few videos to realize that they are both extremely popular and mainstream, except not with people like you and me, but with a much more loyal and sought after group, the teenagers,

southernares

uosɐǝs sǝᴉɹɐ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ
Reaction score
Reactions
153,988 5,017 445
Alleybux
I have a coworker in her 30’s who likes that one group. She tried to explain them to me and got mad because I thought they were girls. :unsure:

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux
I hear that one bts song on the radio ( turn from it though) every now and then.
It's like they are known...but not really relevant.

honestly it feels like more people know about baby metal (jrock) then the do bts ( or any other kpop group for that matter)

what they do is even more relevant than what we have done over the year, you just don't realize it, they've created an entire music industry for brand advertisers, which is where all the media money is and with that they will be able to print money even with the most lame artist acting like video game Character to billions view on youtube a western centric platform which does not include China and India

Reaction score
Reactions
12,671 258 87
Alleybux
their tactic is brand advertising, you only have to watch their video to realize that each of them including the artist is an advertisement of a whimsical lifestyle of cute teenage boys and girls, it's a like a video game with real perfomer.

these teanages boys and girls are obsessed with it for the same reason they are obsessed with those who play video games on Youtube

I agree with you there, video game with a real performer is a good way to describe it. Social media access and the “idols” heavily cultivated images also add to it.

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux
I agree with you there, video game with a real performer is a good way to describe it. Social media access and the “idols” heavily cultivated images also add to it.

and it's powerful, people don't know it but the video game industry is 6x bigger than hollywood in fact the Japan game industry by itself if bigger than hollywood, i wouldn't be surprised to learn in the next 5 years that their k-pop music industry is also bigger than the US one because of brand advertizing

Kikyo

Reaction score
Reactions
56,411 431 174
Alleybux

They create a dynamic where fans are so personally invested in the group and take any perceived negative comment about them as a personal insult. The fans are so loud online that you’d think the groups are extremely popular, but you don’t see the online popularity translate into the general population (at least in the western world).

I'm sorry did we forget the Beatles , Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Guns N Roses, the Rolling Stones, NKOTB, BSB or every other rock or punk band or heck MJ fans or those psycho Jugaloos?? The fact that people are acting like Stans are a new thing is so mind boggling to me.

Also no music nowadays is " organic" and saying otherwise shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how the music industry works and has evolved.

Reaction score
Reactions
12,671 258 87
Alleybux
I'm sorry did we forget the Beatles , Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Guns N Roses, the Rolling Stones, NKOTB, BSB or every other rock or punk band or heck MJ fans or those psycho Jugaloos?? The fact that people are acting like Stans are a new thing is so mind boggling to me.

Also no music nowadays is " organic" and saying otherwise shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how the music industry works and has evolved.

I’m not saying kpop fans are the first, or last genre with obsessive fans. What I’m saying is kpop companies have looked at previous fandoms and tried to recreate it, but on steroids. The “idols” go and live at these companies in dorms in their early teens, sometimes building up debts that will take years to pay off. Many have been passed around the industry in return for “favors” from higher ups, rich investors and sponsors. By the time they debut, the company essentially owns these kids and have already created their public persona.

Fans are then given unprecedented access to them through social media (to a level that has never been seen before). Next comes the perceived closeness with the idols, where the fake boyfriend/ girlfriend/ best friend dynamic is established. This is to the level that if they are caught in a relationship, their entire career could be over. Then you have the next level, the sasaeng fans (aka stalkers) who can be extremely obsessive and dangerous. These companies still make use of them for sponsorship money etc and also to bury negative stories about the idols before they reach the news. I know of an attempted poisoning and an attempted kidnapping, I’m just surprised there hasn’t been a murder yet.

I am also fully aware that there is very little that is “organic” about music charts. But you can’t compare a western artist bundling their albums with merch, or the record company paying to artificially inflate sales or streams to kpop.

The key difference here is that in kpop, the companies have to do very little, the obsessed fans will raise thousands of dollars themselves to pay for bots, some will buy dozens, or hundreds of CDs. They will rent out venues with computers just to stream YouTube videos, that’s why they rack up views so fast. It’s gotten to the point where a charity ask not to receive kpop CDs as “donations” anymore because the fans just dump them after they bulk buy.

Once I see tekashi 69, Travis Scott, or Taylor Swift fans doing all that, then I’ll believe they are on the same level of obsessed and crazy as kpop fans.

Last edited:

Covfefe

In the end, we win.
Reaction score
Reactions
373,926 25,005 3,031
Alleybux
It absolutely is. Most of the GP in the UK and the U.S don't know Kpop, don't want to know about Kpop, and generally couldn't give two poops about Kpop.

Fans of the "biggest" Kpop groups mass stream their videos - some even hire out entire Internet cafes - just so their fave group can break streaming records.

Fans also buy multiple copies of albums. I saw a post on twitter from a woman who bought about 50 copies of one album so that she could win a video call with her favourite member.

This really isn't uncommon in Kpop. A lot of the fans have money (including their parents money) and they have nothing better to do with it than support their favourite groups.

Also, if you see a Kpop group on a show like James Corden or Ellen, it's probably because their company paid the show to have them on. I don't know about morning shows, though.

This twitter post is exactly what I mean about fans going to the next level to get streaming views - a grown adult is offering extra credit to students who stream BTS.

0776921F-E39E-414C-BB8C-BF9630CBB099.jpeg

Kikyo

Reaction score
Reactions
56,411 431 174
Alleybux
This twitter post is exactly what I mean about fans going to the next level to get streaming views - a grown adult is offering extra credit to students who stream BTS.

View attachment 2082846

Sigh where was this prof while I was in Uni. British Constitutional Law was a biaaaatch and I could have used the extra credits. iJS loool

InayaSerwa

Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
42,621 664 151
Alleybux

View attachment 2082846

d9d2f78931496fc6d8410a5e5e490d9c.jpg

This pretty much cements my idea of the k-pop fandom/standom as one of the craziest, fanatical, and toxic groups out there.

Now that I think about it, I found a video where a black youtuber was and is being harassed by kpop stans because he made a joke (in poor taste) about a member of BTS.

He gets attacked, death threats, and racial slurs thrown at him daily.
But he just pokes fun at it.

Wendii

Russian Bot
Reaction score
Reactions
75,068 7,190 1,066
Alleybux
What? They do this?! That’s so desperate lol, streaming has really fµcked the music industry

Those streams doesn’t count.. YT, Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes etc. all have algorithms and tech that can pick up on bots, and streams from multiple devices on the same internet connection (WiFi etc.) those streams are discarded and thrown out.

Same as bulk buying in the USA, if you buy more than 4 albums in one transaction it counts as bulk and only counts and one (1) sale.. if it’s more than 10 it’s thrown out completely.

Wendii

Russian Bot
Reaction score
Reactions
75,068 7,190 1,066
Alleybux
And no surprise to see Cofeveve in here trying to downplay BTS success, go to to bed.

Y’all take Stan twitter sh!t to seriously.

SarahCameron

no time for logical fallacies
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
100,253 5,801 4,193
Alleybux
in montreal/laval, quebec where i live, it’s not that huge but my little sister is a massive bts fan. i think bts is the most known k pop group in canada though.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,151 162 335
Alleybux
They’re popular in the U.K. I think Gen Z really love them. I don’t know if they’re popular in Nigeria or Sierra Leone. Sierra Leoneans can be shady so I can’t imagine them popping off there. People would probably laugh with surprise that ‘Chinese’ people can dance. e2
serious q: Since when has K-pop been popular in the U.K.?

Biabella00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,685 624 185
Alleybux
Nah it feels like an internet phenomenon but it doesn't feel like it spills over in real life too much

Like...yea these kpop groups are like on these major award shows and interviews and stuff, but i can't explain it, it's not really spilling over into the general public outside of their stans

You know something is a monster hit when it's being played EVERYWHEREEE. Bailando or Mi Gente are great examples of a massive cross over hits that pretty much everyone knows

I can't think of 1 kpop song from these new groups that I've heard played in the mall or in the club or in the general vicinity. I don't personally know any of their music

Ask me to sing the lyrics? Can't do it. But I know the lyrics to a few J Balvins songs. I also can kinda chime in on Gandam style.

I was a huge kpop stan in the past so I'm not judging. But these group's "success" seems to be somewhat overblown imo.

They still haven't hit critical mass yet. At least in the states.
This is why I feel like most of the success is bought. Payola and awards and such. I know it's a phenomenon but I don't actually see it. I've never heard a song played on the radio. Its almost like they're a myth.

simplymina

in my bag
Reaction score
Reactions
156,134 6,832 2,212
Alleybux
Kind of. There's a BTS song (Dynamite) that's been playing non-stop on the radio lately so people have been paying more attention to them

But it's definitely more popular with gen Z than any other generation

yuuareshet

Lord, punish my enemies in that way..."
Reaction score
Reactions
22,953 1,117 699
Alleybux
I only heard a BTS song played once at a 7/11 but that's because the worker there is an ARMY and wanted to play their music. That was 2 years ago. I never heard Dynamite played anywhere. Only WAP.

Fashion candy

What God Can Not Do Does Not Exists = Pastor Jerry
Reaction score
Reactions
7,286 428 142
Alleybux
Kpop fan love wasting their money just to make their fave group look big I mean look at this. Kpop albums cost 2 or 3 more than our own artists. It is just sad

Wendii

Russian Bot
Reaction score
Reactions
75,068 7,190 1,066
Alleybux
I only heard a BTS song played once at a 7/11 but that's because the worker there is an ARMY and wanted to play their music. That was 2 years ago. I never heard Dynamite played anywhere. Only WAP.

Where do you live? WAP is free falling on radio and Dynamite is currently outperforming WAP on radio!

They might not play it as much in your city.

Wendii

Russian Bot
Reaction score
Reactions
75,068 7,190 1,066
Alleybux
Kpop fan love wasting their money just to make their fave group look big I mean look at this. Kpop albums cost 2 or 3 more than our own artists. It is just sad

I find it funny that every time you see stuff like this BTS albums are never there.

SpurgeonRose

I get stronger every time Judas dowvotes me
Reaction score
Reactions
90,893 5,304 2,261
Alleybux
i live in trinidad, and its baffling. i sent out a questionnaire fot my job asking genz about role models, and a shitload came back talking about some jungkook person.

i googled the name and what the f

nb the respondent population was east indian/afro trini or a mixture of the two ethnicities

Kikyo

Reaction score
Reactions
56,411 431 174
Alleybux
i live in trinidad, and its baffling. i sent out a questionnaire fot my job asking genz about role models, and a shitload came back talking about some jungkook person.

i googled the name and what the f

nb the respondent population was east indian/afro trini or a mixture of the two ethnicities

Haha Jungkook forever!!!

Frost

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,708 3,049 895
Alleybux
For people who said no are delusional BTS didn't perform at stadium after stadiums with more people requesting for more for them to not just be popular. Please tell me which other artists can perform at stadiums around the world. They are making more money than almost all artists in American. When it comes to albums, FC, concerts, streaming and more, American artists are not beating BTS on any of it. Are people on LSA teenagers too because a lot of them are fans too or other kpop, have anyone of you been to their concerts for you conclude their fans are all young. They have variety of people that like and listen to them. Remember they are not from American or uk so any money they make are converd into their country money which is quite a lot and they can live the rest of their life without worrying.they get paid a lot of money more other kpop groups or artists even more our so called famous artists to appear on the show or to use their brand. Artist in American might be more famous but that doesn't turn into money I mean look at onlyfan page these are our so called artists or social media our own artists barely make any money anymore while kpop are making millions over here than the ones we have here. What does that tell you. Bts boys been having black card, expensive buildings in their name and more the same thing can't be said for the so called famous artists in America
You do realize that most of kpop groups sign "slave" contracts that see them earning a pittance with most of the money going their companies? Most of the groups have to repay for the training and all the expenses the company laid out. Several kpop groups have filed lawsuits to get their contacts dissolved.

Last edited:

Wendii

Russian Bot
Reaction score
Reactions
75,068 7,190 1,066
Alleybux
You do realize that most of kpop groups sign "slave" contracts that see them earning a pittance with most of the money going their companies? Most of the groups have to repay for the training and all the expenses the company laid out. Several kpop groups have filed lawsuits to get their contacts dissolved.

Yeah. (But Big 3 and BIGHIT doesn’t have trainee debt for years now)

BTS doesn’t though. They renewed their contracts last year and even outsource their own law firms to over see the contracts.. plus they have major stocks in the company as well.

Last edited:

ChokeMeIdris

getting strangled
Reaction score
Reactions
27,853 1,563 519
Alleybux
The avg. person in the US hasn't heard of Kpop. It feels bigger than it is because of media play. An example of a well-known foreign Asian is Jackie Chan. His name is familiar to most people.