Quantcast

Black History Month Spotlight: Dorothy Dandridge's 1953 "Taking a Chance on Love"

realtalk92

love yourself
Reaction score
Reactions
96,948 3,904 8,045
Alleybux
Black History Month Spotlight:

Dorothy Dandridge's "Taking a Chance on Love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHyBOF8Pvwg

Dorothy Dandrdige is one of my favorite all time great African American entertainers. This is one of my favorite songs by her. I love this song and performance which really showcases her charisma and personality as a performer.

Here is a clip from her 1953 movie "Remains to be Seen" in which Dorothy Dandridge portrays herself in the movie. This clip was later used as part of a trailer for her 1953 movie debut "Bright Road" which shows her evolution from a night club entertainer to a Hollywood star.

"Bright Road"

tumblr_m4tez9eDso1qbaiyso1_1280.jpg

In this movie, Dorothy Dandridge portrays a school teacher who tries to help a student that has problems.
Fun fact: Harry Belonfonte, who was also an prominent African American actor during this period, also co-stars in this movie which was his first appearance in a feature film.

tumblr_mwaacoNeCA1qlaando1_500.jpg

Significance to African American culture:
Dorothy Dandridge was the first African American woman nominated for an Oscar. In addition, she helped change the way African American actresses were depicted in movies and helped with the overall progression of African American female entertainers in Hollywood. Dorothy Dandridge was also nominated for a Golden Globe for Porgy and Bess.
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_filename_640.jpg

Lalah

C A R A M E LL E
Reaction score
Reactions
282,327 15,405 8,148
Alleybux
According to LSA standards of blackness, Dorothy Dandridge isn't black....enough. :disdain: