Quantcast

Black In Korea; Why I Lost My Job In Korea; I Didn't Get Paid For 3 Months.

magicwater

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I agree, her nursing degree would get her a better pay in some parts of Asia than in the UK.
From my understanding, Asian countries don't hire outside for professional positions like nurse. For Korea specifically I read that for a foreigner to be hired in a non English teaching position, the company would have to prove/provide explanation to the government as to why a Korean citizen could not fill that role. I don't think they're lacking in Korean nurses, so there's no way that visa would be approved. (Now it can definitely be argued that there are qualified Korean teachers fluent in English who can fill these teaching roles, but they are fixated on teachers being from an English speaking country, mostly for appearance sake I think)

Teaching is the easy option to be able to make decent enough money to travel Asia on your time off and even have some leftover for the savings account. The 1 year contracts are attractive to both parties as its not such a long-term commitment. If you're of the mindset "I'm just gonna make money and travel and ignore the bµllsh!t" it can be a great plan. BUT if you go the hagwon route you have to be upfront that you're not one to play around with paychecks, or they will try it. They have no business plan or principles except making a buck and saving a buck.

Haitian1

ghetto girl with a degree
Reaction score
Reactions
87,681 13,395 5,096
Alleybux
Yes, she should have done her research because this is the same ole', same ole' story. These countries can have racist attitudes the blacker you are. This is a fact; they do discriminate, there are no equal right laws even based on xes or race, etc.

Until the Koreans who are black who were born and raised in Korea speak out and get involved with changing how their country perceives them, then nothing will change. But like many Asians, these black Koreans are probably afraid of standing against the status quo; they probably want to save face. I don't even think Naomi Osaka ever used her platform to bring awareness to racism that black Japanese people face.

Black Americans, black foreigners, this is not our battle; not our country. This the fight of the black Koreans who are growing up there and who are becoming the future, the youth, the now!
Hi ahh Naomi was raised in Florida amoung Haitians and Afrcan Americans she knew nothing of Japan till 5 years ago when her sponsors got her Japanese family to finally accept her family before then they did not accept them cause they were Black she has more in common with her Haitian side than her Japanese side that's why there's growing resentment towards her because she supports BLM and she's seen as weak for talking about her mental state.

Nayla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
153,623 3,509 418
Alleybux
From my understanding, Asian countries don't hire outside for professional positions like nurse. For Korea specifically I read that for a foreigner to be hired in a non English teaching position, the company would have to prove/provide explanation to the government as to why a Korean citizen could not fill that role. I don't think they're lacking in Korean nurses, so there's no way that visa would be approved. (Now it can definitely be argued that there are qualified Korean teachers fluent in English who can fill these teaching roles, but they are fixated on teachers being from an English speaking country, mostly for appearance sake I think)

Teaching is the easy option to be able to make decent enough money to travel Asia on your time off and even have some leftover for the savings account. The 1 year contracts are attractive to both parties as its not such a long-term commitment. If you're of the mindset "I'm just gonna make money and travel and ignore the bµllsh!t" it can be a great plan. BUT if you go the hagwon route you have to be upfront that you're not one to play around with paychecks, or they will try it. They have no business plan or principles except making a buck and saving a buck.

I am not saying it would be easy, but it is possible. There are Black people and other Westerners who work jobs other than English ‘teaching’ in Asia. These are people who also wanted to really settle and create a life for themselves in a specific country. I have seen more corporate jobs, I have no idea about nursing specifically. They are not just out here hiring anybody, that’s for sure. In her case the lack of job experience in her field is a deterrent.

As I said in my post it sounds like she is just taking a gap year(s) after graduating, so teaching is just the easiest, most convenient option. She might even leave Korea for another Asian country soon.

MARY SIBLEY

“Elaine Parks alter”
Reaction score
Reactions
79,532 7,443 6,705
Alleybux
Literally just posted this! It's so true. Plus, places like Thailand, Cambodia, etc. seem more interesting, anyway.
Cambodia is a hell hole. Stay Away! Nothing to see. Angkor Whaaat??!

Here is some perspective for others that want to explore Asia.

Laos- Not much to see. Last time I was there they were trying to build a corniche to attract tourism. They still had a lot of land mines.

Vietnam- Beautiful country and awesome food, but the vibe is a little different than Thailand. People are more serious. Very cheap and luxury travel well worth it.

Thailand- is the friendliest and since it is the most popular you will have plenty of westerners to hang out with......which makes it super fun! It can be like the movie ....The Beach.

Philippines & Bali- Same vibe as Thailand and affordable.

Omg, you do not get treated like a celebrity! Don’t go there expecting this and exploiting poor Thais. You FEEL like a celebrity because the USD is very strong and you can easily afford things LIKE a celebrity!

The Big 3: China, Japan and S. Korea.....they are very different countries, cultures, food and people. It is like saying L.A, New Orleans, NYC....very different tourism vibes as well!

I suggest booking a tour your first time, because there is a lot to cover. I really like all 3!

The last 2 are Nepal & Tibet- Love Kathmandu! Both super affordable and good for Jewelry shopping at local prices....jade, gold, traditional tea trays, etc..........and, mountain hiking trips. (Mt. Everest & Annapurna)

If you can only go to 1 and want to party, beach, spa, food and shopping Thailand or Bali.

Between China, Japan & S. Korea.....pick by what food you like best. All 3 countries have a lot to offer Tourism wise.

MARY SIBLEY

“Elaine Parks alter”
Reaction score
Reactions
79,532 7,443 6,705
Alleybux
I think she’s British from her accent.

I agree, her nursing degree would get her a better pay in some parts of Asia than in the UK.

Maybe because of Covid and how stressful it has been for the past year and half she opted out.

She just graduated, it also sounds like she just took a gap year to enjoy life and traveling before starting her “real, adult life” in the UK.
Ok, if she just graduated and is on her GAP then that makes sense.

If she was working as a nurse her salary should be enough to afford her the trip. She just needs to save for her trip.

A lot of people that go the one year contract route (on work visa) want to learn the language, culture and make money to save it and travel more.

Also, teachers, nurses, and other skilled workers can work abroad and in S. Korea at the Army base. You can work at Military bases. You gotta search for those on DOD job sites.

MataHarii

Zesty Zeus
Reaction score
Reactions
77,367 3,827 1,697
Alleybux
Yes, she should have done her research because this is the same ole', same ole' story. These countries can have racist attitudes the blacker you are. This is a fact; they do discriminate, there are no equal right laws even based on xes or race, etc.

Until the Koreans who are black who were born and raised in Korea speak out and get involved with changing how their country perceives them, then nothing will change. But like many Asians, these black Koreans are probably afraid of standing against the status quo; they probably want to save face. I don't even thinkused her platform to bring awareness to racism that black Japanese people face.

Black Americans, black foreigners, this is not our battle; its not our country. This the fight of the black Koreans who are growing up there and who are becoming the future, the youth, the now!

damn is she even old enough to drink? It’s never too early to do the right thing but the poor child has enough pressure and mental health struggles and folks want to put everything on her back.

dontsendforme

#SussexSquad
Reaction score
Reactions
98,755 4,158 5,493
Alleybux
Before I went to Korea, I researched like hell and knew I was NOT going to work in a Hagwon. It's too many stories out there how teachers don't get paid, get worked like it's 1840 and just all kinds of janky stuff. I was lucky and worked in a public school. But this white chick I knew was working in a Hagwon and had for like 6 years and she said she had NO problems. I don't know if she just got lucky or if it was because she was white but I never heard good things about Hagwons. She probably could've gotten a job at a public school.

DontWasteTime

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,968 4,466 3,732
Alleybux
Hi ahh Naomi was raised in Florida amoung Haitians and Afrcan Americans she knew nothing of Japan till 5 years ago when her sponsors got her Japanese family to finally accept her family before then they did not accept them cause they were Black she has more in common with her Haitian side than her Japanese side that's why there's growing resentment towards her because she supports BLM and she's seen as weak for talking about her mental state.
Naomi was born in Japan and has citizenship; I am unsure if she has given it up yet. She, herself, says she relates more to being Japanese than American. Her speaking on BLM is fine; everyone and their grandma does in the USA. However, I have yet to see her do any similar racial interviews in Japan in Japanese to a Japanese audience. Even she is afraid of breaking face.

I don't know where this "knew nothing of Japan" came from; hopefully, it did not come from her because if so, it is a BIG LIE. As above, she was born in Japan, and speaks the language although even admits to not being fluent, she travel to Japan often even once her family came back to the U.S. She continued to engulf herself in Japanese culture hence the reason she states in many of her early interviews that she relates to being Japanese than American.

Last edited:

DontWasteTime

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,968 4,466 3,732
Alleybux
damn is she even old enough to drink? It’s never too early to do the right thing but the poor child has enough pressure and mental health struggles and folks want to put everything on her back.
Naomi was a simple example; I'm sure there are other black Japanese who could also use their platforms to educate and innovate their country's laws and perceptions on race and equality.

senpai

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,928 930 139
Alleybux
She isn’t very bright. There’s a video of her getting her hair dyed blond in Korea also.
i. you know what they say...

The interest in Korea is interesting. I think it shows the power of the media, like K dramas and K pop, etc. because if it weren't for those things, I don't see Korea being as popular of a destination as it is. The thing is, as with all things media and entertainment, these shows and music videos present a very polished and unrealistic version of the country. To each their own, though...
i feel like the hype is dying down. this kpop craze will be looked back as cringy. even koreans know their country is boring and not culture rich like china or japan. seems very american.
Literally just posted this! It's so true. Plus, places like Thailand, Cambodia, etc. seem more interesting, anyway.
I’d rather go to vietnam or thailand over east asia. cheaper.

CNBLBT

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,453 1,329 258
Alleybux
I'm so tired of these threads shitting on Korea. Her experience was significantly impacted by COVID. How many people around the world lost money and jobs and got fµcked over when Covid hit?

These ladies come over vlogging from Day 1 looking for a quick bag, an AMBW come up and don't do research about actually living and working. Then the only thing they have left are videos about their miserable fµck!ng experiences as they try to cash out.

Then LSA Fonts hop on these videos as the be all, end all experience of every black woman in Korea and why no one should live there. It's not perfect, no place is, but y'all never post happy or neutral vlogs. Or vlogs of seasoned black people. Just vlogs that feed the narrative.

보통 영상을 찍은 여자들은 언어를 못하고 한국인 친구도 없어요. 그렇지만 이 우편은 나쁜 엄지순가락을 많이 받을거예요. lsa fonts은 사실 경험을 중용하지 않았는데 나쁜 이야기가 항상 이겨요. 항상. lsa fonts은 영상을 한편 봐고나서 한국에 살던 사람보다 잘 알아요.

Bring on my thumbs down. I'm off to go make a vlog of every sad experience in my 5+ years so I can cash in too.

ETA: isn't there another country y'all could sh!t on for a week or two?

Last edited:

Watching You

I sacrifice scary b!tches to the graveyard!!!!!!!!
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
36,230 4,172 844
Alleybux
Cambodia is a hell hole. Stay Away! Nothing to see. Angkor Whaaat??!

Here is some perspective for others that want to explore Asia.

Laos- Not much to see. Last time I was there they were trying to build a corniche to attract tourism. They still had a lot of land mines.

Vietnam- Beautiful country and awesome food, but the vibe is a little different than Thailand. People are more serious. Very cheap and luxury travel well worth it.

Thailand- is the friendliest and since it is the most popular you will have plenty of westerners to hang out with......which makes it super fun! It can be like the movie ....The Beach.

Philippines & Bali- Same vibe as Thailand and affordable.

Omg, you do not get treated like a celebrity! Don’t go there expecting this and exploiting poor Thais. You FEEL like a celebrity because the USD is very strong and you can easily afford things LIKE a celebrity!

The Big 3: China, Japan and S. Korea.....they are very different countries, cultures, food and people. It is like saying L.A, New Orleans, NYC....very different tourism vibes as well!

I suggest booking a tour your first time, because there is a lot to cover. I really like all 3!

The last 2 are Nepal & Tibet- Love Kathmandu! Both super affordable and good for Jewelry shopping at local prices....jade, gold, traditional tea trays, etc..........and, mountain hiking trips. (Mt. Everest & Annapurna)

If you can only go to 1 and want to party, beach, spa, food and shopping Thailand or Bali.

Between China, Japan & S. Korea.....pick by what food you like best. All 3 countries have a lot to offer Tourism wise.
What's wrong with Cambodia? The temples are the main reason I would want to visit and their annual water festival.

sunnyjune

cosmic girl
Reaction score
Reactions
93,859 1,347 323
Alleybux
yeah I thought about teaching there a few years ago. every bit of my research basically said to choose the safety of the epik program because hagwons are notorious for being unpredictable. I wouldn't consider it unless I'd lived there for a few years and even then, it'd have to be a hagwon that was highly recommended by a friend

the last thing you need when you're in a foreign country where you can't speak the language and barely know anyone is to have an unstable stressful job...especially when said job provides you with housing

Last edited:

Liliu

The Last Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
100,278 2,047 329
Alleybux
How much do nurse's get paid in the UK? That teaching English in Korea seems like a good idea?
I know movies like to make it seem like nurses struggle. But Nurses in Cali are doing pretty well even those with only a BA. There's a reason why nursing schools are impacted.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,467 21,165 10,194
Alleybux
She can't understand how they have the audacity to bring her to Korea to work and then not pay her."
Korean business people are exploiters and treat each other like sh!t and work each other to death, never mind foreigners they hate.

" She has other foreign friends who ran into the same issue about not being paid. And when they took it up with the authorities, they were told to go back to their countries."

Yet when Americans tell that to immigrants we are called Trump supporters,ROFL. And if A black American were to say they don't want racist koreans to enter their country, they are called racist.

Rasha12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,195 4,205 4,946
Alleybux
So a trained nurse went to Korea to be an English teacher ... why?
She also has Korean bf she is so proud of. There are group of black girls who grew up on kpop and k. Dramas and are in love with the thought of going to Korea and get a Korean guy. She can’t go there to be a nurse as she don’t know the language, so she through that to the side and went to Korea the only way she could

Harriet_Thugman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,537 1,743 286
Alleybux

Until the Koreans who are black who were born and raised in Korea speak out and get involved with changing how their country perceives them, then nothing will change. But like many Asians, these black Koreans are probably afraid of standing against the status quo; they probably want to save face. I don't even think Naomi Osaka ever used her platform to bring awareness to racism that black Japanese people face.

Black Americans, black foreigners, this is not our battle; its not our country. This the fight of the black Koreans who are growing up there and who are becoming the future, the youth, the now!

Easier said than done. Unless their father is Korean, I don't see any changes coming around the horizon.

DontWasteTime

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,968 4,466 3,732
Alleybux
Easier said than done. Unless their father is Korean, I don't see any changes coming around the horizon.
I don't understand what you mean by this comment. Fighting for rights takes times but there is a whole generation of black Koreans who are in their 20s and 30s who were born, raised, and lived all of their lives in Korea. No, changes won't come over night but the notion of it, I hope, is being thought of and spoken of in Korea as I type this.

bibi00

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
789 32 3
Alleybux

Cliffs

Her first advice is not to work at a Hagwon.
She went to Korea with her two best friends and she is a nurse.
The goal for all three of them was to take a year off work and travel across Asia.
Her next piece of advice is to choose your recruiter wisely and do not settle.
She was living in Shihen and far away from her two best friends.
The expectations on foreign teachers are really high.
They expect you to teach people to be fluent in English in two months.
The pay is really.
Schools closed down because of Corona Virus.
In Korea, having a E2 Visa only allows you to teach English with your contracted job.
You can't have a second job.
When she got days off, they called her every hour to continue teaching students English via telephone.
Which meant she was working way more than the normal requirement.
At the end of the month on payday, she message the boss because she did not get paid.
The boss send a paragraph reply about not being able to pay up because of Corona Virus.
She did some digging and found out that there is a labor law that protects people i these kinds of situations in Korea.
The employer is required to pay up 70% of your salary even if you did not work.
She lets the boss know very nicely about what she found out about the law.
Boss said the money will be in her account on Monday.
She was paid US$800 is way less than the 70% requirement,
The other staff was getting their full pay.
The boss manipulated her by saying that she would take care of her like her own mother.
She had to finally ask herself why is she staying in Korea when she is not getting paid by her job.
She told the boss that she is quitting.
The boss told her that she would pay her.
She still had three months left in her contract and decided to stay.
She list a bunch of reasons not to work at Hagwon.
She can't understand how they have the audacity to bring her to Korea to work and then not pay her.
She has other foreign friends who ran into the same issue about not being paid.
And when they took it up with the authorities, they were told to go back to their countries.
She found a better job in a better area and decided to say on in Korea.
She regrets allow herself to be treated like sh!t for three months.

I usually try and side with the victims but from the Hagwon 'advice' I knew she travelled on a whim. Its like any job, you do your research. There are dedicated reddits and a whole website letting people know about sketchy hagwons, some are even running as illegal International schools.

I don't think in this case her race played a major part in the outcome, it was where she chose to work.

Expats NEED to research their visa options in Korea. They act like there are only tourist, entertainment and English teaching visas. I went to SK on vacation and I went on a working vacation (H-1) visa. If she only wanted to stay for a year, she could have gotten that. It permits a whole year of working in almost any field. Do you know how many bars are always trying to higher foreigners to help their image in Itaewon and Hongdae?!

I went as an exchange student too for a year during my law degree and I personally didn't have any bad experiences. i think people aren't educating themselves if I'm honest. A lot of those recruiters are fraudulent and do not give a damn about you once that contract is signed with the hagwon.

If you really want to teach and you can't find the resources I stated at the top....just privately message you tubers on recommendations. They cannot get sued if the conversation is not visible to the hagwon and they are more likely to be honest. I see a lot of lowkey ***** in the expat youtube circle. They will die on the hill that SK has no racism but its because they can't make money without selling you a dream. And when you go to Korea they're treated like celebs by these foreign kids who want to know how to meet their oppa

bibi00

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
789 32 3
Alleybux
First, teaching at English-Centers is horrible. But, this is where they place you without proper credentials. No teachers degree, no professional ESL experience, etc. They are basically tutoring centers and the owners want to make lots of money.

English-Centers are for people ‘who want to make quick money’ to travel Asia! Lol!

Looks like S. Korea pays monthly just like China. This is kinda intimidating for an American used to getting paid weekly or biweekly.......and, you are doing tons of hours ‘upfront.’

Don‘t know if this girl is American....just read the cliffs.

Why is she teaching....anyways? Asia is dirt cheap!

Her nurse salary should be able to afford her the Asia travel without teaching ‘emperor syndrome brats’ at some Korean English-Center!

This is is not because she is black. You hear these horror stories all the time.
It is a shady Recruiter or English-Center problem.

Unacceptable teachers apartments, firing you before your contract is up so they don’t have to pay for your ticket home, shortchanging salary, unwanted overtime, and even arrests and deportations due to illegals schools and therefore your work visa is fake.

She is very pretty. Hope she enjoyed her Asia travels. Fun times!

They even had teachers died and the schools refused to cooperate with the authorities.

If she wanted to come to Korea so bad, there is a visa for professionals such as nurses. She could've don't something with better money and treatment. All the plastic surgery centres look for english speakers because the international influx of patients they've had in recent years is no joke

And in regards to how much she'd earn as a nurse in the UK..ahhh that's a bit of a sensitive thing. The UK is known for treating the public healthcare staff like dirt. They do not earn their efforts worth and the cost of living, especially if she's from London is ridiculous. The average BEDROOM for rent can be around £1000 and most people earn 21 thousand a year out of school

Mimi03

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,260 261 69
Alleybux
I have nothing against Korea, I just find it weird how most black women travel there, if travelling to other countries were as equal as travelling to Korea, I wouldn't have said anything but it's just mostly Korea I see. Especially when they said they had bad experiences I knew of one who travelled to Korea, didn't enjoy her time, wasn't the right place for her mental health left then went back a year later, still didn,'t like it then left and went back again then she left and decided Korea wasn't for her and stopped going. Another one I know she had a korean male best friend, guy said if it wasn't for him she wouldn't have that many views (most of her subscribers were black people who wanted to go to Korea)and subscribers, she didn't believe.
He was hitting her on videos, later xesually assaulted her (his mom was very nice to her tho) she left Korea, continued videos without him and she lost a lot of subscribers and the guy gained subscribers on his youtube channel.

Last edited:

Ohmysweetstars

Thriving and Living!
Reaction score
Reactions
3,064 87 23
Alleybux
I have nothing against Korea, I just find it weird how most black women travel there, if travelling to other countries were as equal as travelling to Korea, I wouldn't have said anything but it's just mostly Korea I see. Especially when they said they had bad experiences I knew of one who travelled to Korea, didn't enjoy her time, wasn't the right place for her mental health left then went back a year later, still didn,'t like it then left and went back again then she left and decided Korea wasn't for her and stopped going. Another one I know she had a korean male best friend, guy said if it wasn't for him she wouldn't have that many views (most of her subscribers were black people who wanted to go to Korea)and subscribers, she didn't believe.
He was hitting her on videos, later xesually assaulted her (his mom was very nice to her tho) she left Korea, continued videos without him and she lost a lot of subscribers and the guy gained subscribers on his youtube channel.
What the lady’s channel?

ETA: spelling error

Last edited:

Mimi03

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,260 261 69
Alleybux
what's his new channel?
I'm sorry I can't remember all his information was in the video's comment section subscribers shared which she later deleted but what I do know is his channel is very weird (he has this government trump supporter vibe)

Last edited:

Kekes

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
427 181 172
Alleybux
What's wrong with Cambodia? The temples are the main reason I would want to visit and their annual water festival.
Those temples worship demon idol gods of Lucifer. You best stay away from them if you don't want to serve devils.

Kekes

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
427 181 172
Alleybux
She also has Korean bf she is so proud of. There are group of black girls who grew up on kpop and k. Dramas and are in love with the thought of going to Korea and get a Korean guy. She can’t go there to be a nurse as she don’t know the language, so she through that to the side and went to Korea the only way she could
I really find that weird to go to another country for only a man. That's just sounds desperate and lustful at the same time. Instead of just letting God choose their help mate, these women lust over men to travel out of their way for a man to seek out their flesh. I think that is just wrong and crazy in so many ways.

BILLIONAIRE1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,216 686 516
Alleybux
It's definitely a fantasy...they too busy watching kdramas not knowing that some koreans treat foreigners like sh!t especially the negroes...
...this could have all been avoided by doing research...they f*ck silly caucasian people over too...been trashing hagwons for decades...has nothing to do with being black...met an Australian guy who was fired from one because the company wanted them to have a North American accent (parental preference).
fools

Shadowofyoursmile

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,516 1,527 446
Alleybux
giphy.gif

Kekes

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
427 181 172
Alleybux
Those temples worship demon idol gods of Lucifer. You best stay away from them if you don't want to serve devils.
Notice the people that rated me down for speaking the truth on here. Don't think I don't know that many of you are into witchcraft. You serve Lucifer by doing so as well. With the satanic pentagram that you witches uses to do your rituals. Only fools would rate the truth down.