Black News Channel Looks to Shake Up Cable-TV News Landscape

PositiveVibes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,455 1,525 120
Alleybux
im-302916

Black News Channel has expanded its reach more than 20-fold in about seven months, part of its new chief executive’s ambitious plan to shake up the cable-TV news landscape and provide an alternative that looks through the lens of Black Americans.

Since he took over the channel last July, Chief Executive Princell Hair has struck distribution deals with Comcast Corp.’s Xfinity, AT&T Inc.’s DirecTV, Dish Network Corp. and others, boosting its potential audience to more than 52 million households from roughly 2.5 million.

Mr. Hair also led a revamp of the network’s lineup, signing high-profile commentators Charles Blow and Marc Lamont Hill, whose shows will provide coverage and analysis the network’s executives and newscasters believe Black Americans aren’t getting anywhere else.

“We’re standing on the forefront of a tremendous opportunity when you look at the stories of the past year: the pandemic, the George Floyd murder and the ensuing civil unrest, a very contentious presidential election, record unemployment, and all of these stories disproportionately impact Black and brown communities,” Mr. Hair said in an interview. “These are the stories that we have to get out.”

When Mr. Hair, a TV veteran whose resume includes stints at CBS, CNN, Turner Broadcasting and NBC Sports, took the helm in July, he said he commissioned research and analysis to see what was needed to attract viewers. The research showed that Black Americans feel underserved with news coverage choices, and that the community is an untapped driver of economic growth.

“This is the right moment for Black News Channel,” said Shelvia Dancy, a journalism professor at Syracuse University’s Newhouse School. “So many news outlets are recognizing the need to expand their coverage, and many news departments are hiring people to cover race and social justice. I think people of all stripes are hungry for this and a channel that could do this, rather than one person on a news team.”

The network’s relaunch comes as cable-TV news becomes further fragmented, and audiences are divided among major networks such as CNN, Fox News and MSNBC. Recently, One America News Network and Newsmax, growing Fox News rivals, have widened their audiences. Last year, Nexstar Media Group Inc. launched NewsNation on the formerly known WGN-America with the promise of no-bias news coverage during prime-time hours.

PositiveVibes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,455 1,525 120
Alleybux
Black News Channel is largely backed by NFL team Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan, who also owns Fulham F.C. of the English Premier League. Mr. Khan started to invest in the network, which was co-founded by former Oklahoma congressman J.C. Watts, a few years ago. He declined to say how much he’s invested in Black News Channel to date, but he said he has raised his level of investment since Mr. Hair became CEO.

The network isn’t yet rated by Nielsen, but that is about to change, Mr. Hair said.

Black News Channel’s lineup revamp will be effective in March, kicking off with a daily morning news show, “Start Your Day With Sharon and Mike,” which will be led by veteran local news anchor Sharon Reed and Fox Sports personality Mike Hill.

The two are planning to fill their four-hour time slot with longform interviews and segments about social justice, personal health, and economic wellness specific to the Black community.

Mr. Hill said he has hosted his own TV show before, but being a longtime sports personality hasn’t allowed him “to use my voice in a way in which I feel like it’s necessary right now.”

“The world is changing…I know BNC gives me that platform,” Mr. Hill added.

Ms. Reed, who has worked as a TV reporter in Cleveland and Atlanta, said social justice will be a main coverage area. “It’s not just an issue, it speaks to who we are and who our audience is.” She said coverage of the upcoming trial of the officers related to the death of George Floyd will be a focus.

“It’s not just another job,” Ms. Reed said. “It’s who we are.”

In the ensuing weeks, Black News Channel will unveil other shows, such as those with Mr. Blow and Mr. Lamont Hill. It plans to keep all of its previous newscasters. Mr. Lamont Hill is an academic and activist, while Mr. Blow, is a New York Times op-ed columnist. Both are frequent commentators on cable-TV news.

Ms. Reed said seeing Mr. Blow in the lineup was “the icing on the cake” for her when making her decision to join Black News Channel.

Using a sports analogy, Mr. Hill likened Black News Channel to an expansion team—a new team entering a sports league—in the TV news industry. “It’s rare that you see an expansion team get superstars right out of the gate,” he said.

Write to Lillian Rizzo at Lillian.Rizzo@wsj.com

WSJ News Exclusive | Black News Channel Looks to Shake Up Cable-TV News Landscape

ImSoFcknBad

Atp i dnt even ? BS anymore. I just enjoy the show
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
9,655 845 414
Alleybux

Watts.JPG

The network was founded by former Oklahoma congressman and University of Oklahoma quarterback J.C. Watts. It will be minority owned and the nation’s only provider of around-the-clock cable news programming dedicated to covering the perspective of African-American communities.

Bob_Brillante_Wikipedia_photo%2C_2012.jpg

Bob Brilliante, who founded the Florida News Channel in 1998, is the co-founder and CEO.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5d8a654022254b0008e15acc%2F0x0.jpg%3Fbackground%3D000000%26cropX1%3D261%26cropX2%3D2362%26cropY1%3D268%26cropY2%3D2372

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan will be the majority investor in the Black News Channel

“My decision to invest is an easy one, because we get to answer that calling. This is a chance for me to make an impact on how African-Americans report and consume news and related programming,:disdain how their voices are amplified and heard and how all of us can better connect socially, culturally, economically and more.”

:)

ImSoFcknBad

Atp i dnt even ? BS anymore. I just enjoy the show
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
9,655 845 414
Alleybux
"The BNC is targeting an audience that surveys show is the majority in many of the top-50 markets for bundled cable TV and broadband services, and who own more digital TV sets and order more video on demand services."

"BNC’s research also shows that African-Americans subscribe to more premium cable services than any other group."

josenka

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,326 655 78
Alleybux
I’ll ask my sister in the states if she has this channel (I’m assuming it’s a channel?).

Bad Streets

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
126,702 8,084 1,876
Alleybux
It's on Pluto.. I've watched it but I'm not sure of their slant, considering they have a few conservatives at the top. I sort of want a more centrist approach to news.

Mochahontas

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,355 1,332 48
Alleybux
Sounds cool. I’ve always wondered why we never had a news program. I thought BET would have been a place to air it but a channel is even better.

PROV0CATEUR

Flyin Air Bronco Like Diddy
Reaction score
Reactions
348,107 17,327 6,654
Alleybux
Sounds cool. I’ve always wondered why we never had a news program. I thought BET would have been a place to air it but a channel is even better.
There was rolands show on TV 1 but I don’t think enough people had access to the network and it only aired like an hour a day

allicat

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,483 5,259 6,313
Alleybux
Where do I watch this?

your toilet bowl. why would a black person watch a network founded and controlled by non black people who state that their mission is to control what black people see and view as news. don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe. and mike hill being the voice of anything is another reason to stay away, with his boring, babbling ass.

PassionateAF

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
97,391 4,024 1,545
Alleybux
:ROFLMAO:
your toilet bowl. why would a black person watch a network founded and controlled by non black people who state that their mission is to control what black people see and view as news. don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe. and mike hill being the voice of anything is another reason to stay away, with his boring, babbling ass.

omg :LOL::ROFLMAO:

GrandMarquis

Grand LeMarquis Noir
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
162,848 14,539 9,629
Alleybux
I'm in the least bit interested seeing the investors and founder.

JC Watts is a Byron Allen. I refused to be pimped out.

Brey57

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,193 2,247 2,056
Alleybux

Watts.JPG

The network was founded by former Oklahoma congressman and University of Oklahoma quarterback J.C. Watts. It will be minority owned and the nation’s only provider of around-the-clock cable news programming dedicated to covering the perspective of African-American communities.

Bob_Brillante_Wikipedia_photo%2C_2012.jpg

Bob Brilliante, who founded the Florida News Channel in 1998, is the co-founder and CEO.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5d8a654022254b0008e15acc%2F0x0.jpg%3Fbackground%3D000000%26cropX1%3D261%26cropX2%3D2362%26cropY1%3D268%26cropY2%3D2372

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan will be the majority investor in the Black News Channel

“My decision to invest is an easy one, because we get to answer that calling. This is a chance for me to make an impact on how African-Americans report and consume news and related programming,:disdain how their voices are amplified and heard and how all of us can better connect socially, culturally, economically and more.”

:)

S/o to shad khan, I’m a little iffy about a middle eastern man being the main investor in a black news channel (more of a disappointment in blacks)

but as a jax native I’m proud!

is this on Hulu?

LalaSharp

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
283,635 13,170 1,667
Alleybux
Is that the dude that was swinging a water bottle like a peni$ on RHOA last night - Cynthia's Mike Hill?

JC Watts & an NFL Owner.

Roland Watts show was annoying because the production was so sloppy. Guests were not in studio & they'd be fumbling w/ their ipads. It might work better w/ remote being the standard now.

It would be nice to have a black news show w/o white people's idea of representation like Van Jones.

JanktheFixer

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
483 24 28
Alleybux
First, this is not a "Black" channel. All of the money involved is non-Black.

Second, the only Black person involved has a record of standing with white conservatives, not Black people.

This is nothing but misinformation aimed at Black people.

PositiveVibes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,455 1,525 120
Alleybux
Who has been watching the Black News Channel? What are your thoughts on the channel so far? They have been making changes to the network for a few weeks now.

yvi mitel

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,304 313 472
Alleybux
Who has been watching the Black News Channel? What are your thoughts on the channel so far? They have been making changes to the network for a few weeks now.
Just found out last week when I was programming a new smart tc. Super excited to find out it is on Concast Xfinity. I live it and the all black commercials. They bring in majority black guest experts.

PositiveVibes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,455 1,525 120
Alleybux
Just found out last week when I was programming a new smart tc. Super excited to find out it is on Concast Xfinity. I live it and the all black commercials. They bring in majority black guest experts.
Exactly.

PositiveVibes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,455 1,525 120
Alleybux
I just want to add that I believe the BNC network will get better and better over time. My two cents.

Knee Knee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
331,828 9,391 1,534
Alleybux
I’ve been watching a bit and I have to say my one complaint is that too many of the anchors and hosts seem to struggle with reading a teleprompter. Maybe they’re looking to build new talent instead of taking established journalists from other networks but I don’t like that I can see their eyes moving back and forth as they read line from line and the squinting some are doing along with the stuttering over words. Hopefully with practice we see some improvement.

Last edited: