Black Skin Care Twitter

"whore/creative"
Reactions
85,406 1,241 430
Alleybux
Decided to give its own thread instead of clogging up the BlackTwitter thread.

Everybody showed their ass with the FentySkincare drop.

@MakeupbyWoc is getting attack by the Navy for her review.

Whootie/ @CruzanChocolate still ain't shipped order, but got something to say.

For the most part, most of the Black skin care folks got a PR package. Either a month before or before the launch.

Choosey Lover
Reactions
319,366 4,890 1,995
Alleybux

For the most part, most of the Black skin care folks got a PR package. Either a month before or before the launch.

But like what are they saying. Is it good, do they think its safe for all skin types? I wanted to try the sun screen but I heard it had a fragrant smell and I can't do skin products with parfum and all that

Reactions
12,206 739 53
Alleybux
It's skincare. Fenty skin will work for some and not for others and that's okay. Her ingredient list isn't anything revolutionary. If it doesn't work for you, then there are plenty other brands/lines to choose from.

The navy is taking every critique like it's a personal attack on Riri.

ETA: Purito Comfy Water Sunblock is a mineral sunscreen that doesn't leave a white cast and doesn't break you out if you are looking for a brown skin/sensitive skin friendly option. The Korean skincare market is much more advanced than western skincare.

Last edited:
"whore/creative"
Reactions
85,406 1,241 430
Alleybux
But like what are they saying. Is it good, do they think its safe for all skin types? I wanted to try the sun screen but I heard it had a fragrant smell and I can't do skin products with parfum and all that

I would't do it. Fragrant suncreens and the sun make me breakout. I bought the toner because fragrant in my nighttime skincare doesn't bother me.

Damn, what did Makeupbywoc say?

She said it made her breakout because of the fragrance. She recommended other products without fragrance. Her review was mostly good. The Navy is acting an ass.

Choosey Lover
Reactions
319,366 4,890 1,995
Alleybux
I would't do it. Fragrant suncreens and the sun make me breakout. I bought the toner because fragrant in my nighttime skincare doesn't bother me.

She said it made her breakout because of the fragrance. She recommended other products without fragrance. Her review was mostly good. The Navy is acting an ass.

Yeah thats not fair. I support Rihanna's hustle ALOT. I feel like she is an inspiration to build such an empire and her beauty line is GREAT quality. But skin, its not gonna be as clean cut of good reviews. Everybody got different skin and it reacts differently. I think what the makeupbywoc had to say was FAIR. Because I am one of those people, if I have anything with Fragrance, my skin will break out. I can't try many brands of skincare because they love to add parfum. So it was important that she said that.

Une Belle Meuf ™
Reactions
11,563 319 15
Alleybux
Yes some folks took it as shade because she started to promote other products with her promo code.

It will get released on Sephora soon. So we will be able to see reviews.
tenor.gif

I saw the last tweet a couple of hours ago and was wondering what she was talking about.

So basically these rihanna fans want everyone to lie and say it's amazing? People can't be honest about products anymore? They need to stfu and leave my girl alone jeez

Reactions
144,566 2,440 1,059
Alleybux
Ooh yes this is the twitter thread for me!
Lol I remember asking a few moths ago if there could be a separate skincare Twitter thread because some of the goobers y’all go on about in the main thread are of no concern to me lmao.
Here are the review threads I see and a video from LABeautyologist

Her video cuts off at the end. I also thought she would be more turned off by the witch hazel. But I guess her standom stopped her from really going in

No Foes
Reactions
279,485 4,219 3,127
Alleybux

I know Whootie the blowfish still isn’t pressed she didn’t get PR as a competitor.

Oh, this what we on?
Reactions
89,946 1,499 173
Alleybux
The only item I'm curious about is the fat water. I finally found two cleansers and moisturizers I love so I'm not interested in trying Fenty's version. The fat water is intriguing, so I'll likely give it a whirl at some point.

"whore/creative"
Reactions
85,406 1,241 430
Alleybux
I have watched a bunch of reviews. All of them seem to miss the mark on one thing.

This is a daytime skincare product. Hence why the witch hazel is in the toner. You wash ya wash, tone, then spf. You can go like that or makeup.

This is not a nighttime set. You need more moisture for the nighttime.

Also, LA beautyologist is passive aggressive for this in case you didn't notice it.

Also I don't think she has had the product since May. I don't.

Choosey Lover
Reactions
319,366 4,890 1,995
Alleybux
I’m still flabbergasted that she put fragrance in the products lol. For what? That’s probably the number one thing that you don’t do with skincare.

I am actually not surprised. As I said, its hard for me to find something by skincare brands sometimes because they do slip it in. Even in some korean skin care. Another example is fresh, I wanted to try something from there but they truly do have parfum in EVERY product. That's the case for most recreational skin care brands I feel.

Reactions
49,562 94 50
Alleybux
So from what I've learned so far. The only thing that I could get from this line is the cleanser. The toner is for oily skin(makes sense since I've learned rihanna has oily skin) and the sunscreen is chemical not mineral.

But I don't know how to feel about the cleanser being both a water and oil cleanser. I would rather keep those seperate personally but I can appreciate rihanna wanting to have her products multitask to save people money.

I love her packaging, rihanna's aesthetics are always on point.

Reactions
49,562 94 50
Alleybux
I have watched a bunch of reviews. All of them seem to miss the mark on one thing.

This is a daytime skincare product. Hence why the witch hazel is in the toner. You wash ya wash, tone, then spf. You can go like that or makeup.

This is not a nighttime set. You need more moisture for the nighttime.

Also, LA beautyologist is passive aggressive for this in case you didn't notice it.

Also I don't think she has had the product since May. I don't.

I will say LA beautyologist usually goes hard on products with witch hazel(has a whole video on witch hazel). I remember she made a joke about making thayer toner's sales lower. But she did admit she's a day one rihanna fan so that's why she was a lot nicer on the toner even though it's the second ingredient.

Choosey Lover
Reactions
319,366 4,890 1,995
Alleybux
Rihanna said she had skin problems and I’m trying to remember when I saw that. Now if Alicia Keys said that, I would believe her. I don’t like when celebrities pretend to know my struggle. Hearing that this has fragrance lets me know that it won’t work for me. She made it for people who genetically have skin that is unbothered. I would like to repair the damage done by acne, so I’ll look elsewhere.

I remember seeing it here, she has makeup on but you can see it on her forehead and jawline

1.jpg

Reactions
33,851 640 1,002
Alleybux
Yes. She’s always talked down about witch hazel. Clearly, she’s star struck. She has said things that are problematic to me so I no longer follow her.

I LOVE MakeupforWOC. The blogger/reviewer world needs more of her. I hope the hate she got from Rih fans doesn’t deter her from being honest in the future.

Honestly, I only care about Dr. Dray’s reviews, she educated, knows exactly what she speaks on & is brutally honest.

I will say LA beautyologist usually goes hard on products with witch hazel(has a whole video on witch hazel). I remember she made a joke about making thayer toner's sales lower. But she did admit she's a day one rihanna fan so that's why she was a lot nicer on the toner even though it's the second ingredient.

DIOSA
Reactions
28,119 52 17
Alleybux
She has said things that are problematic to me so I no longer follow her.

can I ask what she's said?

I'm a licensed esthetician too and I've watched some of her videos. I feel bad saying this, but I feel like she is too passive aggressive and condescending, especially for her level of knowledge/experience

Reactions
58,078 473 81
Alleybux
I am actually not surprised. As I said, its hard for me to find something by skincare brands sometimes because they do slip it in. Even in some korean skin care. Another example is fresh, I wanted to try something from there but they truly do have parfum in EVERY product. That's the case for most recreational skin care brands I feel.
I guess they’re trying to mask the smell from everything that’s in the products? Idk. I agree that every recreational brand uses it. It’s just so unnecessary in skin care, especially since you’re putting it on your face which is one of the most sensitive areas.

What products do you currently use?

Stuck in 2001
Reactions
2,476 40 3
Alleybux
i am really disappointed, not gonna lie.
I was expecting products similar to Krave Beauty. But this launch feels so out of touch. People has more knowledge about skin care now, plus access to afforable korean skin care or The Ordinary.

This old and overpriced european skin care ain't it.

I hope she goes back to the drawing board because this is detrimental to Rihanna's brand in the long run.

You shared my exact sentiments. I expected the brand’s products to be like Krave or The Ordinary with a markup.

I’ll come back in 6 months when she launches more products. Hopefully she launches a cleansing balm.

Choosey Lover
Reactions
319,366 4,890 1,995
Alleybux
I guess they’re trying to mask the smell from everything that’s in the products? Idk. I agree that every recreational brand uses it. It’s just so unnecessary in skin care, especially since you’re putting it on your face which is one of the most sensitive areas.

What products do you currently use?

Cleanser: Dove Sensitive Skin
Moisturizer: Cerave
How I keep Acne under control: benzoylperoxid (the only chemical that works and can be found over the counter) acne spot treatment from target
Sunscreen: Blue Lizard Sensitive Skin (My dermatologist put me on to it)

Helpful but not exactly necessary:
Serum: Glossier Vitamin C serum, no fragrance. Used the whole bottle. Does what it supposed to AND it really does decreases inflammation/red spots as well as blemishes
Facial Mask: Detox Green Galaxy Mask from Glossier. Also contains no Fragrance and does what it's supposed to

Don't worry I used to see a dermatologist all the time. Went to one of the best in Atlanta and I realized that benzoylperoxid is what I needed personally. Luckily I was able to find an over the counter version.

Reactions
58,078 473 81
Alleybux
Cleanser: Dove Sensitive Skin
Moisturizer: Cerave
How I keep Acne under control: benzoylperoxid (the only chemical that works and can be found over the counter) acne spot treatment from target
Sunscreen: Blue Lizard Sensitive Skin (My dermatologist put me on to it)

Helpful but not exactly necessary:
Serum: Glossier Vitamin C serum, no fragrance. Used the whole bottle. Does what it supposed to AND it really does decreases inflammation/red spots as well as blemishes
Facial Mask: Detox Green Galaxy Mask from Glossier. Also contains no Fragrance and does what it's supposed to

Don't worry I used to see a dermatologist all the time. Went to one of the best in Atlanta and I realized that benzoylperoxid is what I needed personally. Luckily I was able to find an over the counter version.
giphy.gif

I’m gonna have to try some of these, especially that vitamin c serum.

How long have you been using the benzoylperoxid?

"whore/creative"
Reactions
85,406 1,241 430
Alleybux
Well since it’s merged I’ll assume they want us to continue to discuss the general skincare twitter stuff in here.

So you caught some of the shade as well? I was wondering if I read to deep but SeanGarrette imo was shading MakeupForWOC with some of his retweets. He really up Fenty behind. Did you see MakeupForWOC stayed in his mentions all day kissing his butt trying to be extra nice to smooth over her review.

I quoted you here.

I think they were annoyed that she picked him as the ambassador despite the other folks having more of a following. Folks started to peep shade and mention it. Now she is trying to be nice to everyone.

I liked both of their reviews.

Choosey Lover
Reactions
319,366 4,890 1,995
Alleybux
giphy.gif

I’m gonna have to try some of these, especially that vitamin c serum.

How long have you been using the benzoylperoxid?

Since I was 18. Funny story. My skin had always been clear. And then my mom thought it would be cool if I went to a dermatologist. They put me on to the soap because I didn't use cleanser, we would just use witch hazel and water mostly. They were amazed my skin looked the way it did without a full regimen.

And then they put me on unnecessary ass prescriptions I guess to make my skin perfect because if I did break out it would be because of my period maybe during those days. But generally I did not suffer from acne in HS. Neither of my parents ever did. I believe my skin became dependent on those products as I became a young adult and skin type change (I didn't have combo skin, now I do), so now I MUST have regimen. Also I am now sensitive to things with fragrance and drug store makeup. Sometimes before I went to a dermatologist, I could use those olay cleanser wipes every and now then and it would do nothing to my skin. But if I tried that shit these days, hell no lol.

Anyways its alot to keep going to the best place to get prescribed medication (where I went they do cosmetology AND sugrical procedures along with dermatology). So I started to realize that the only thing my skin needed to get back like it was before regularly was benzoylperoxid. Because originally when I was constantly seeing my dermatologist, she would prescribe epiduo, the key ingredient being benzoylperoxid, and this medication called "aczone". THIS COMBO gave me PERFECT skin. I could eat anything I want, put anything on it, I could be on my cycle and my skin would not flinch. I remember at that time I was working at the mall, and the girl was shocked to find out I was still in college because she said I had skin like a baby but had the same major as her (which is stressful). The reason for that is aczone is expensive as hell, so it worked really well when used. Eventually I ran out and I just started using my epiduo that was left by itself and my skin was still fine, I just still got a pimple during my period or something. Then I realized the important ingredient in epiduo, is sold for even cheaper (epiduo itself is cheap, you can pay outta pocket for it without your insurance if you want) and it works just as good.

So my benzoylperoxid paired with my serum works well. And I think that should be the goal. Finding stuff that works without having to go to doctors and stuff everytime. Whatever they prescribe that works, find out what the key ingredient is and see if they have it available in regular stores. What they had in acnzone was not sold in stores but the benzoylperoxid does a good job itself.

Last edited:
Reactions
8,646 77 22
Alleybux
So from what I've learned so far. The only thing that I could get from this line is the cleanser. The toner is for oily skin(makes sense since I've learned rihanna has oily skin) and the sunscreen is chemical not mineral.

Hmmm that actually makes sense for Rih to be oily especially given that the first Fenty foundation and beauty line was also catered to oily skin (more mattifying products). They only added hydrating stuff later.

I am beautiful
Reactions
2,053 13 22
Alleybux
can I ask what she's said?

I'm a licensed esthetician too and I've watched some of her videos. I feel bad saying this, but I feel like she is too passive aggressive and condescending, especially for her level of knowledge/experience

I want to know too. I have no idea who she is and just learned of all of these super young Black skincare gurus. Amazing that people with so little experience and no real training in skincare science are viewed as experts. No shade, just saying an esthetician isn't getting the same training as a cosmetic chemist.

And when it comes to witch hazel they are concerned about that but no concern about the multiple synthetic texture enhancers or the Red 33 (CI 17200) dye in Fat Water?

It looks like Paula's Choice launched the anti-witch hazel stuff prob as a means to promote her products over products that use it. She got profiles of these Twitter gurus on her page. They are paid to attack. Witch hazel and fragrance are not going to be problematic for most people and if they are avoid them. Simple.

Trending Threads

The Culture

Television Alley

The Lounge

Recent Posts

Why are women not sympathetic to REAL trans women's plight
And imagine him calling US delusional, talking bout "women see you" Hey women who see me, which one sounds more delusional A. A woman saying...
Are black men predisposed to self hate? Cause i don't understand
Italy That's weird. The mothet ain't shit for just standing there and doing nothing
Strongmommy Chrissy
The house is very nice but def not big enough. I’m cringing because I can see kids falling down those stairs, the fridge becoming a disgusting...
Ti says him and tiny are riding until the wheels fall off "All we need is us"
Well, they won't have to ride much longer with those busted wheels. It appears their time may be up...
Why don’t more women play video games?
Because there's no money in playing them! The money is there, but you either got to be a pro gamer, a meme lord, or an e-thot.
  • Poll
Pre-Nursing & Nursing School Thread
Final exam 2morrow! Then summer breakkkkk! Lord knows I need onee2! I need a 75 to keep my A, please pray for me!!!
The authorities may have found the killer of Jon benet
That's my thing. Idk of a 9 year old who has the knowledge to make a garrote. Patsy definitely wrote the letter but I'm not convinced that it...
Jupiter's Legacy - Netflix
I can't tell you why I enjoyed this but I did. I hope there are no flashbacks in volume 2, those were SO annoying.
Top Bottom