Quantcast

Black Wedding of the Day - Childhood Friends Win A Glamorous Texas Wedding With Military Style

Goodgyalknd

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* in my princess era *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Reaction score
Reactions
262,721 12,732 1,841
Alleybux
By Claire Eliza

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-10.png

So much of weddings already makes me cry – proposal stories, the moment they see each other down the aisle, parents & grandparent moments – I already well up with tears enough as it is at all of your beautiful wedding stories!

Now I have to deal with the end-of-week emotions of this beyond-heartwarming story of two childhood friends. With the help of their beloved family & friends, Hebron & Nebyou won a dream giveaway that turns into their glamorous Texas winter wedding in military-style.
It’s only fair that I make you all cry with me, okay?

Hebron & Nebyou immigrated as children from Ethiopia to the same small community of Kansas. After years of attempts to no avail to woo Hebron, Nebyou went off to West Point to better himself & become who he is today. And in proper rom-com fashion, that’s not where this love story ends…

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-80-555x757.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-43-555x757.png

Our Love Story​

As told by the groom, Nebyou: Hebron and I immigrated to the United States from Ethiopia a few years apart as children but found ourselves living in the same small community in Kansas. Our parents were friends, so we often spent time being invited to the same events and running in similar circles.

It would be an understatement to say I had a crush on Hebron when we were teens. I tried to no avail to try to win her over for years. Finally, on a warm October day, my birthday to be exact, she gave me the rejection I needed. I realized on that day the changes I needed to make in myself to be the best I could be. So, I deleted all my social media, hit the gym, applied to West Point, and moved halfway across the country to the United States Military Academy to become the best version of myself.

Three years later, as I was finishing up the last weeks of summer after my junior year, I decided to turn on my social media accounts, with no intentions other than to see what friends had been up to the last few years. To my surprise, I received a message from Hebron. She likes to say she had no covert intentions when messaging me, but I know she was curious as to who I had become.

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-47-555x757.png

From that moment on we began messaging daily. I was preparing to start my senior year at West Point and she was currently at Yale School of Medicine finishing up an internship and applying to medical schools before her senior year of college. We found time through our compounded schedules to see each other throughout that year and have since been each other’s best friends and support system. I’m currently serving as an Army officer and she is in her final year of medical school.

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-23-555x832.png

The Proposal​

As told by the bride, Hebron: In regard to the proposal, Nebyou actually surprised me a few weeks before it happened in late October by telling me his schedule allowed him to come see me for the weekend in Kansas. He pretended it was all last minute, but little did I know he had been planning a large surprise for weeks in advance with my best friend and future Maid of Honor.

On October 20th, 2018 a dinner out with the family ended up being a beautiful proposal outside the Kansas City Country Club Plaza with flowers, candles, both families, ALL my friends, a photographer and he even got a guitarist who played my favorite song Boo’d Up by Ella Mai! With all this and a beautiful ring it was an easy yes!

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-27-555x761.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-31-555x757.png

The Wedding Giveaway​

Our wedding story starts with us hearing about the Ivory Oak Military Wedding Giveaway through a mutual acquaintance. We sent in our favorite (goofy) photo of us, a 500-word statement on why we should be chosen and next thing we knew we were competing for the giveaway as one of the top three couples. We worked with our friends, families and communities to get all the votes we could to win this beautiful wedding in Wimberly, TX. We realized how big our support system truly was when we were told we won!

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-29-555x757.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-30-555x757.png

The Planning​

Nebyou was stationed at Fort Bliss in El Paso, TX and getting to have our dream wedding in Texas was wonderful because we wanted a winter wedding to accommodate our busy schedules. The December weather in Texas at this gorgeous venue was everything we could have asked for.

One of the best parts of this experience were the vendors that came with the giveaway-from the wedding planning guidance provided by Elaine and Lee to the palette design through 36th Street Events and everything in between it came together beautifully because of the team we had. The combination of large white California poppies, navy and marigold tones to match the Army Service Uniforms (ASU) and bridesmaid dresses – it was beyond anything we could have imagined. We can’t forget the Texas BBQ at the reception – that was chef’s kiss

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-34-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-38-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-37-e1620061706454-555x757.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-39-555x757.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-56-e1620061737757-555x757.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-13-555x757.png

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,721 12,732 1,841
Alleybux
Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-3.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-14-555x757.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-16-e1620061774842-555x757.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-17-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-20-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-1.png

The Photography​

We can’t say enough about the amazing team we had capturing our day. Angela Lally Photography and ML Photo & Film have given us something we will get to treasure forever. They made sure they focused on catching our most authentic moments and making those shine.

Not only were Nebyou and I extremely comfortable with this team but so were our families – some of whom flew across the globe to share this moment with us. With the schedules we had leading up to the wedding we appreciated Angela’s patience and flexibility and during the day these two vendors worked in rhythm to make sure it was captured beautifully.

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-24-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-48-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-51-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-66-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-59-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-46-555x757.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-61-e1620061811216-555x757.png

“My Best Man had the guts to have a slideshow, with photographic evidence, running during his speech with the highlights of every embarrassing teenage moment. It culminated in a picture he took behind my back of me – pants-less – washing my clothes in his mom’s kitchen sink after his friend puked on me in his car. My parents knew none of this before that day!”​

– Groom Nebyou, favorite moments

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-5.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-55-555x832.png

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,721 12,732 1,841
Alleybux
Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-69-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-78-555x757.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-57-e1620061841302-555x757.png

“My favorite part was JOYFULLY dancing with all our guests on the dance floor and then intermittently hopping into the photo booth then proceeding to maneuver to the dance floor when the next song would come on. There was a phone prop from the photo booth that I danced with half the night!”​

– Bride Hebron, favorite moments

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-63-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-64-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-2.png

Advice to Other Couples​

Three recommendations:

1. Postable is an amazing website (free too) that will allow you to gather all the addresses and contact info for your guests, getting this early and making sure it’s updated between the STD and wedding invites is a must-have.
  2. We went back and forth on providing transportation for our guests but we decided to do so and it was the best move we could have made, we used LuxLimo and we loved the experience and so did our guests!
  3. Kleinfeld Hotel Blocks to help you identify and lockdown hotel blocks, this was one of the best things we stumbled into because as out-of-town wedding hosts we needed all the experience we could use to make the best decision for hosting our guests.
Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-67-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-77-555x832.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-8.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-25.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-54.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-35.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-51.png

Glamorous-Military-Wedding-in-Texas-Angela-Lally-Photography-52.png

source: Childhood Friends Win a Glamorous Texas Wedding with Military Style

There's a wedding video in the source

@Doris Payne
@vegansteak
@Lady Spencer
@youknowitsjj
@MissStush
@877CashNow
@MamaFatCheeks
@gwc2005
@WavyDre
@BklynAngel
@Madox
@Dandicat13
@Luxurious
@treesindabreeze
@DetectiveBailey
@LaDeeDaah
@Meeow
@Autumn Leaves
@lowkeyqueen88
@willowqueen
@LieslAlbrecht
@joynpain
@chrissyfbaby
@KittyKatB
@Nana Peazant
@La Boheme
@Swan
@thatghchick
@Ybggg
@itsmesnitchess
@honey8271
@BelleFemme
@ThingsNStuff
@ImTheOne
@Roxie Cette
@TheHateress
@twilightblu
@AmusedByIdiocy
@PurpleSkye
@callmedr
@OpenTopic
@honeyquinn
@CreativeOne
@kkforya
@Ali DiLaurentis
@BlowingSoul
@Save Me
@I Bit Bey
@Fab Bridges
@privatenumber
@Shadowofyoursmile
@YouAreMyLife
@sugarzee
@angela moore
@YeahOK
@Creamsoda
@Giselle28
@SerenityNow
@IDoWhatIWant
@ztamala
@misshoneyb
@cobain bride
@Cataleya
@AHardAct2Follow
@kbrisedy
@Oblina
@o. munroe
@LuckyCharms69
@Princess Isi
@ParisianDame
@catfizzbaby
@Team owner
@BronzeBoheme
@Skin Noir
@kissmba
@PinkThunder
@toxic silence
@LuckyCharms69
@bindy
@juslikkandi
@StephSupreme
@Night nurse
@whatchusay
@juillet
@gaptoof
@jwill
@Nina Lovehall
@ISaySeaux
@Epitope
@Ladywasabi
@CheekyHarris33
@LuvToLaugh
@Eyre2020
@BISBOL
@cimet
@ILikeYoFace
@Lady, Esq.
@Locs121
@Irie Lady
@mowill
@KittySun
@Dnaijessica
@DZA
@cutechica
@kaylarena
@DrippingCrystal
@Magazine Junkie
@PrincessNeice
@Autumn1456
@brittiskies
@Londongossipgirl
@DontTellItAll
@Bjxxxx
@Loma Loam
@GoodGirlGoneGr8
@karishmarocks
@ebaeisbae
@HoneyHitch
@peace.paz.
@bookworm
@misshoneyb
@FatAmy
@SimplyTee
@SweetTamarind
@Scorpion
@KurvyBeauty
@LovableShade
@JackGanalf
@MusiKCityK
@BriaSmiles
@vegansteak
@Vegenaise
@PrincessNeice
@Anacaona Taino
@smokie
@StayTrue
@CecilX
@Nayla
@Onthealley
@Wldflwr
@DontTellItAll
@Dollazzzz
@peachjpeach
@Laaaayla
@angelxox
@sparklee
@xxnEKbo
@Lumos
@sparklee
@Elizamichel
@SolBeat..

some tags might not pop up if the username was changed.

mollflanders

defamationismygame
OLDHEAD
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
256,813 3,328 1,461
Alleybux
They’re a cute couple. I like their story. I bet she is striking with her natural hair color.

CecilX

the universe in ecstatic motion
Reaction score
Reactions
19,877 398 10
Alleybux
Patience is a virtue and it paid off handsomely for him to let kismet take its course. They're a beautiful couple and look very much in love.

This capture is pure magic.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.52.04 PM.png

Wish them all the happiness in the world & a more colorful future :heart:

Abbigirl

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
299 12 17
Alleybux
I love everything about the wedding! Oh the bride is so beautiful

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,721 12,732 1,841
Alleybux
Only one black person in the bridal party?

you sure the both of them want to be married to someone black??
2. Why does the bridal party matter when the family attending will be black? Have you never seen black people with non-black friends.

honey8271

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
193,972 1,833 850
Alleybux
I don't like the bride's hair color but everything else about the wedding was lovely.

Last edited:

BelleFemme

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,220 36 14
Alleybux
They make a striking couple. His perseverance paid off, and that she said make a man out of yourself LOL! Love it! Her reception dress is lovely!

LieslAlbrecht

Sometimes you feel like a nut…
Reaction score
Reactions
67,718 1,114 382
Alleybux
They look so in love; he waited and leveled up to be worthy of his bride. Me gusta.

Wedding parties are nbd since it’s always reflective of who your friends are at that point in time. Anniversary time years later and many couples aren’t even in contact with most beyond FB friends. I mean, the groom was at West Pt. and bride was doing an internship year at Yale Medical. We are sorely underrepresented in both places. What matters is family. All that other stuff is optics.

Shikorina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,644 1,522 996
Alleybux
tenor.gif

Lovely story! I like hearing stories of men leveling up to be worthy of the woman they love. That’s all that matters! And she had sense enough to reject him and not waste her time until he was on the level!

MamaFatCheeks

LIVE * LAUGH * LOVE * ALOT
Reaction score
Reactions
71,094 972 39
Alleybux
Congratulations to the couple! The bride looked beautiful in both her wedding and reception dresses although I am not a fan of blonde hair. They have a very sweet story too. To win a dream wedding is such a blessing! Everything looked so elegant and those cakes were everything to me. Growing up in a military family and a military town, I understand the multicultural friend groups.

Layani

I dont care, do you?
Reaction score
Reactions
115,980 5,185 2,852
Alleybux
2. Why does the bridal party matter when the family attending will be black? Have you never seen black people with non-black friends.

I assume people that say stuff like that don't have any friends at all or just don't leave the house because wtf lol

ChampagneToast

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,586 1,005 210
Alleybux
Something about her hair was distracting, not in the good way. Harsh color but it looked very piecey, again not in a good way. Like she had bad clip ins or something, idk.

But I did like her dress and that surprised me. Basically her hair was the only thumbs down.

Last edited:

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,130 11,494 3,304
Alleybux
I like her hair color, it goes with her skin tone. But I think she would look Probablt better with chocolate brown hair color. Her dress is pretty and looks great on her body. It’s a cute summery wedding.
I also like how he got his sh!t together before being with her, just shows how much he wanted her...and this ladies is proof that men go hard for what they want. If a man puts no effort, he is telling you what he thinks about you.

Anacaona Taino

I forgot my old tag line...
Reaction score
Reactions
230,364 4,870 1,417
Alleybux
She was VERY good to her bridesmaids. Those dresses are gorgeous! I don't like the venue especially outside but it was FREE and I'm sure that VA loan got them a gorgeous house so they are still winning!

Epitope

Antigenic Determiner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,388 2,150 395
Alleybux
Very attractive couple. Love that he got the girl (Yale trained MD at that) in the end. Photos were very blurry.This is the only clear photo of the bunch.
1621758009424.png