Quantcast

Black Wedding of the Day - Lauren and Larry’s Tropical Wedding in Palm Beach, Florida

Goodgyalknd

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* in my princess era *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Reaction score
Reactions
262,770 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
Lauren-and-Larry6.jpg

Lauren and Larry first met while attending Florida A&M University. Friendly, and occasionally flirty exchanges led them to go on their first date and they have been by each other’s sides ever since!

Bride Lauren describes the proposal as “An absolute moment in time!”. After a day of parading and celebrating, Larry surprised Lauren by purposing to her at the end of the annual Carnival celebration in Antigua, W.I.

Originally having planned a destination wedding in Jamaica, the couple had to completely change their plans due to the pandemic. Despite the difficulties, they wouldn’t have changed a thing about their big day. Their intimate, stress-free tropical wedding in Palm Beach was more perfect than they could have ever imagined.

See more details below!

• Couple: Lauren Joseph & Larry Polynice
  • Occupations: Account Managers with CSXT (Bride) and Pepsi Co. (Larry)
  • Wedding date: November 21,2020
  • Wedding location: Palm Beach, Florida
  • Photography: Renee Hollingshead Photography
Lauren-and-Larry-39.jpg

Quick Facts​

• Ceremony entrance song: “Eternal Source of Light Divine” by Elin Manahan Thomas
  • First dance song: “Into You” ft Tamia by Fabolous

How did you meet?​

We met while pursuing our MBAs at Florida A&M University in our Commercial Banking class in the Fall of 2014. Although we spoke in class and exchanged answers a time or two (lol!), our interaction didn’t go beyond that. One day, after class ended, myself, Larry and his friend Elexander were walking to our cars. We were all casually conversing when Elexander stated an aspect of my physique that he asked Larry to confirm – “Larry, Lauren has a lil’ a** back there, doesn’t she?!”, which Larry slowed down to positively confirm, ha! As we approached our cars, Larry invited me to a birthday party he was heading to that evening, which I politely declined. After various interactions in and outside of the classroom, I asked Larry if he’d like to get tacos for lunch. He likes to highlight that he was impressed that I paid! Ever since then, we’ve been by each other’s side.

Lauren-and-Larry13-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry15-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry2-1157x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry16-1157x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry3-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry14-1152x1536.jpg

Tell us about the proposal​

The proposal was an absolute moment in time! After over a year of planning, in August 2019, Larry and I, along with our family, traveled to Antigua, W.I. to attend and participate in the annual Carnival season – a two week celebration that takes place at the end of July to the first Tuesday in August that represents the emancipation of slavery in Antigua & Barbuda.

Upon our arrival, we fully immersed ourselves in the celebration, participating in fetes, cultural events and our fair share of rum! All of the events that occur build up the anticipation for the grand finale, Carnival Tuesday, which is an ongoing parade of bands, costumes, music and beautiful people. Unbeknownst to me, I had no idea how grand this finale was truly going to be. With soca and rum in our system, we paraded through the streets of St. John’s with Myst Carnival from sun up to sundown, having the time of our lives. Towards the end of the parade, there is a judging point at the Recreation Grounds that determines which mas troupe showcases the most energy and has the best costumes when revelers cross the stage. Our mas troupe eventually crosses, however, Larry tells us to wait by the stage as opposed to leaving the arena. Soon after, the MC calls his name, instructing him to come to the front of the stage as he’s “won a prize”, and asks me to follow him. In all my years of playing mass, I have never known them to give out prizes, and certainly not at this time, but hey! who says they can’t start new traditions?!

As we make our way to the front of the stage, they pass the mic to him for his “acceptance speech”, and he says, “Lauren, I love you so much, you are my everything. Will you marry me, babe?”. At this point he’s on bended knee, the crowd is going wild, a piece of the stage that was make-shift gave way, surrendering to the weight of those who crowed on it to see the commotion, and in this moment it hits me! Coming back into focus, I exclaimed “I DO!”, but Larry’s cousin would not accept anything less than a “yes!”. So they passed the microphone to me, in which I excitedly said “YESSSS!!!”, and the crowd went wild! It was an exhilarating and special moment, surrounded by our family, in attendance on and below the stage, and with love. It was quite the surprise!

Lauren-and-Larry7-1157x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry23-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry24.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry-38-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry22-1157x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry21.jpg

Wedding Style​

My wedding dress was chic, modern, elegant, but simple. It was a custom look that was designed and made by Laurie Underwood of Laury Bride, and we collaboratively worked together to come up with the design. I provided my inspiration of the dolman sleeve, the column skirt, and to add a touch of detail, having the cuffs be exaggerated in length and with pearls. Laurie added her touch with the fit, the beautiful detachable tulle train and the off the shoulder look of the dress. My desire was to have a clean and chic vibe, but it all comes together when one includes their pieces — a modern take on a pearl earring, my mother’s rings and my floral birdcage headpiece by Filipa Cardoso Millinery in London. Larry’s suit was also a custom design by Jean Francilon of Garcon Couture, a double breasted hunter-green suit, complemented with Giuseppe Zanotti smoking slippers. I would say that my wedding shopping experience was successful. I was not the type of bride that dreamt about my wedding day before being engaged, haha! In fact, I didn’t think about it at all, so I approached this experience with an open mind and heart, and with absolutely no fanfare.

The first two bridal salons I visited, I quickly realized what I liked and didn’t like in regards to fabric preference, embellishments, how dramatic or how simple a dress was, the style and fit, and which designers I preferred. From that experience, I came to realize that there were certain aspects I enjoyed about the dresses I tried on, but none truly rang through as “this is THEE dress!”. I never had that moment that we as brides hear about, celebrating finding the one over champagne and with friends and family. So, I decided to take those elements that I liked to design a custom dress that specifically spoke to me, my style and my vibe.

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,770 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
Lauren-and-Larry1-1157x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry4-1157x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry8-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry28-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry-32-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry-31-1157x1536.jpg

Culture​

Larry and I both hail from Caribbean households, he being Haitian and myself, Antiguan. The cultural aspects came in with the food which were all Haitian delicacies – Pate, Black Rice, Bunun, Griot, Pikliz and more; and with our music which showcased Kompa, Calypso, Soca and Reggae.

Lauren-and-Larry17-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry5-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry-33-.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry19-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry20-1152x1536.jpg

Memories​

Ooo I have two! Walking down the aisle to see Larry; how fixated we were on each other, both exchanging approving looks and complementing one another, and when it came time to exchange our vows, seeing the emotion in his eyes as I read mine. Another favorite memory is when Larry and I first saw the reception space, just the two of us, and had an intimate dance, it was beautiful.

Lauren-and-Larry10.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry29-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry-35-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry11-1152x1536.jpg

goldenchile

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
204,063 4,524 406
Alleybux
In this panda, I think I would just go to the JP and get married and then have a big party for our 1st anniversary....

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,770 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
Lauren-and-Larry-34--1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry30-1-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry-36-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry12.jpg

Do you have any tips for planning/rescheduling/pivoting a wedding during Covid-19?​

First and foremost, BREATHE! I know first hand how all over the place one can be when it comes to planning, rescheduling and pivoting during this time. You can experience anxiety trying to sort out the details of your wedding due to the uncertainty of the future with this pandemic, let alone the financial commitment that comes with it. With that being said, I would start by evaluating what is important to you and your spouse (having a large or small celebration; getting married on your intended date or pushing it back; getting married now and have a party in the future, etc.) and don’t be afraid to get creative. If you do decide to still get married on your intended date and feel that you have to scale back to an intimate/micro-wedding, that doesn’t mean you cannot have the beautiful day you desired. You ABSOLUTELY can! Everything always starts with intention – be intentional about your vision and the vibe that you would like to have for your day, and choose vendors who resonate with that, this is very important. I believe that intimate weddings will become a welcomed trend that comes out of these times, as they are special and unique, but they also show that you do not have to blow the bank to have an awesome day. Be mindful of the energy around you, especially when it comes to fear. Do not allow others to sway your decision based on THEIR fears. The reality is that COVID-19 is not going away tomorrow, next month, six months or even a year from now, but life is. Have your moments, be present, and be in the now, but just be safe.

Lauren-and-Larry25-1152x1536.jpg

Lauren-and-Larry27-1-1152x1536.jpg

Tell us about the custom dress process​

I had my consultation with Laurie at the beginning of the year and immediately felt confident in her ability to deliver. Similar to choosing boutiques, I went with Laurie because of her vibe and style aesthetic. It helped that I tried on dresses beforehand to understand styles, fabrics, and drapes that I liked on me, but also gathering inspiration from designers that I liked that fit my aesthetic – chic, modern, and minimal. From that conversation, Laurie produced three sketches to choose from, as well as providing sketches for my bridesmaids’ dresses. I was able to view these sketches on my custom bridal portal that she designed specifically for me that provided detailed commentary for each dress. She also sent me several fabric swatches to choose from which was great, to visually see, since this was being done remotely. After selecting the dress and providing my measurements, she immediately went into production, starting with my bridesmaids’ dresses. Throughout the process, month by month, Laurie kept me in the loop with updates and abreast with any delays that occurred due to the pandemic. In August, we had to pivot to a virtual fitting vs an in-person fitting in Chicago, where her studio is based, in which she sent me my dress express. During the virtual fitting, albeit the dress was beautiful, we both decided that the original dress didn’t have that “zing!”. It needed something more. So at that moment, we came up with a whole new design and finalized it. We went from sleeveless to sleeves; train to column skirt, and even tweaked the fabric. Two more virtual fittings would follow to get the fit and desired drape right until the final dress was delivered to my doorstep, and boy did Laurie deliver! I would absolutely recommend going custom if you find yourself liking certain aspects of a dress, but have not found the one that captures all of the elements you are looking for. For me, I am all about putting pieces together to create THEE look. Your dress can be a canvas that you build upon, or, it can be a statement piece.

Lauren-and-Larry-37.jpg

Vendors​

source: Lauren and Larry's Tropical Wedding in Palm Beach, Florida | Munaluchi Bride

@MissStush
@877CashNow
@MamaFatCheeks
@gwc2005
@WavyDre
@BklynAngel
@Madox
@Dandicat13
@Luxurious
@treesindabreeze
@DetectiveBailey
@LaDeeDaah
@Meeow
@Autumn Leaves
@lowkeyqueen88
@willowqueen
@LieslAlbrecht
@joynpain
@chrissyfbaby
@KittyKatB
@Nana Peazant
@La Boheme
@Swan
@thatghchick
@Ybggg
@itsmesnitchess
@honey8271
@BelleFemme
@ThingsNStuff
@ImTheOne
@Roxie Cette
@TheHateress
@twilightblu
@AmusedByIdiocy
@PurpleSkye
@callmedr
@OpenTopic
@honeyquinn
@CreativeOne
@kkforya
@Ali DiLaurentis
@BlowingSoul
@Save Me
@I Bit Bey
@Fab Bridges
@privatenumber
@Shadowofyoursmile
@YouAreMyLife
@sugarzee
@angela moore
@YeahOK
@Creamsoda
@Giselle28
@SerenityNow
@IDoWhatIWant
@ztamala
@misshoneyb
@cobain bride
@Cataleya
@AHardAct2Follow
@kbrisedy
@Oblina
@o. munroe
@LuckyCharms69
@Princess Isi
@ParisianDame
@catfizzbaby
@Team owner
@BronzeBoheme
@Skin Noir
@kissmba
@PinkThunder
@toxic silence
@LuckyCharms69
@bindy
@juslikkandi
@StephSupreme
@Night nurse
@whatchusay
@juillet
@gaptoof
@jwill
@Nina Lovehall
@ISaySeaux
@Epitope
@Ladywasabi
@CheekyHarris33
@LuvToLaugh
@Eyre2020
@BISBOL
@cimet
@ILikeYoFace
@Lady, Esq.
@Locs121
@Irie Lady
@mowill
@KittySun
@Dnaijessica
@DZA
@cutechica
@kaylarena
@DrippingCrystal
@Magazine Junkie
@PrincessNeice
@Autumn1456
@brittiskies
@Londongossipgirl
@DontTellItAll
@Bjxxxx
@Loma Loam
@GoodGirlGoneGr8
@karishmarocks
@ebaeisbae
@HoneyHitch
@peace.paz.
@bookworm
@misshoneyb
@FatAmy
@SimplyTee
@SweetTamarind
@Scorpion
@KurvyBeauty
@LovableShade
@JackGanalf
@MusiKCityK
@BriaSmiles
@vegansteak
@Vegenaise
@PrincessNeice
@Anacaona Taino
@sparklee
@smokie
@StayTrue
@CecilX
@Nayla
@Onthealley
@Wldflwr
@DontTellItAll
@Dollazzzz
@peachjpeach
@Laaaayla
@angelxox
@sparklee
@xxnEKbo

AmusedByIdiocy

Sense and Sensibility
Reaction score
Reactions
222,196 7,128 2,872
Alleybux
The saw palmetto plants are gorgeous. It coordinates with the green in the bridal party.

The bridesmaids look uncomfortable in their dresses, though. And the groom coulda pass a iron on he clothes, eh.

Bride’s sisterlocks look nice.

xxnEKbo

“I’m just here so I won’t get fined”
Reaction score
Reactions
189,192 5,117 1,199
Alleybux
Ok, first off the groom and his tittle whittle groomsmen in this pic made me giggle :
63A10AD9-19A5-4A9F-828B-2ACA69FC3C42.jpeg

the color chosen for the bridesmaids were nice though.

Second of all ,

Elexander stated an aspect of my physique that he asked Larry to confirm –

“Larry, Lauren has a lil’ a** back there, doesn’t she?!”

B84590CA-BB4A-490B-A197-2E161916896D.gif

I would have left that out of the story bc what the hell? Huh?

The bride and groom look like siblings to me too. This wedding was meh. Everyone photographed well though, they looked nice. I do wish them success in marriage and as parents with their new addition.

gwc2005

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
40,943 1,108 210
Alleybux
After various interactions in and outside of the classroom, I asked Larry if he’d like to get tacos for lunch. He likes to highlight that he was impressed that I paid! Ever since then, we’ve been by each other’s side.
Don‘t let Romance Alley hear this, a taco date + the woman paid, it would be a trending thread for sure.

Anyways love the outdoor photos and the wedding colors. Beautiful couple.

xxnEKbo

“I’m just here so I won’t get fined”
Reaction score
Reactions
189,192 5,117 1,199
Alleybux
One last thing, her bridesmaids are absolutely beautiful, but who ever had them fishnets on for pictures knew better. No ma’am.

CecilX

the universe in ecstatic motion
Reaction score
Reactions
19,877 398 10
Alleybux
I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that Covid tests were required. I know that has been a common trend for many events during this panini.
Lauren-and-Larry-37.jpg

As for the wedding, I love the simplicity and clean lines of her dress -- she's rather statuesque and wears it beautifully. I also love the jewel tone she chose for her bridesmaid dresses (and the groom) and how the foliage accentuates the setting.

A tender reprieve during a tough year. We shouldn't deny each other responsible & thoughtful moments of joy, love & celebration.

@LalaSharp-- Why are you skeptical? Was this your wedding? As someone who has suffered loss during this pandemic, I still stand by my statement

Last edited:

Shy But Fly

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,789 1,106 212
Alleybux
The wedding is very sleek and chic. I'm loving the green color scheme.

The wedding dress is different and I almost love it...but there's something about the sleeves!!

Their love story gave me a couple side-eyes.

Rogue1980

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,717 2,700 1,581
Alleybux
Meh, it’s an ok wedding. Not much attention to detail. Also don’t like the bride’s gown, makeup and accessories.

screena

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
311,871 5,214 824
Alleybux
As stated previously, I'm downvoting all Covid-era wedding that are not micro events.

Not one mask in sight. SMH.

People are wearing masks in several of the photos though. So much for no mask in sight...

BelleFemme

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,220 36 14
Alleybux
Congratulations on the wedding!
I wanted to be thrilled by her gown but it’s underwhelming, but with the stomache shot that may explain why. Idk, I found it ill-fitting, bulky and with her figure I wanted to be wowed! I’m not also too fond of his suit either, but they make a good looking couple. I knew off the bat they were from the Caribbean, and moreso he was Haitian. Speaking of that... the menu sounds slamming!! As I imagine the music selection. The cake looks delicious! Most importantly they look in love with one another! Here’s to happily ever after +

For The Culture

LSA's Lady Whistledown
Reaction score
Reactions
262,056 4,102 1,980
Alleybux
Soon as I read they danced to Tamia I'm so into you... I just couldn't stop (butchering) singing the song.

I like her dress and the color of his suit BUT I spy with my little eye a flash of ANKLE BONE.

ImTheOne

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,532 1,062 139
Alleybux
I’m love that green even more because it’s a FAMU Alumni wedding. They could’ve kept the comment about the ass and her paying for the date to themselves but if they like it I love

Out2Lunch215

I'm not chocolate; I'm chestnut brown
Reaction score
Reactions
115,235 5,213 4,713
Alleybux
People are wearing masks in several of the photos though. So much for no mask in sight...

Seriously??

Please note that I said I was downvoting any COVID-era wedding that was not a micro-event.

Secondly, I admit that a second review of the images (on the source website) revealed that people wearing masks in 2 pictures...out of about more than 30? (There were no masks in the OP) By your estimation, how many members of wedding and guests were in attendance? Were people not at risk? The original story did not share any details regarding their COVID precautions. Were there any?

Remember that "small wedding" in Maine that ended up being a super-spreader event (at least 178 cases of covid). There were only 55 guests. What about the wedding of the Black couple featured in that deleted Vogue piece? 35 guests outside and it was believed to be related to a 100 case surge on Martha's Vineyard.

A Covid wedding could have had (or can have) serious consequences.

I'm sorry to see that some you are offended by my downvote. I'm sorry to see that I ruined the fantasy for some of you. This is real life and we are living in perilous times. If couples don't want others to critique their event and call out their risky behavior, they probably should not agree to publish their pictures and stories online.

Last edited:

oceanmotion

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,506 831 144
Alleybux
Her hair >>>>>>

She should have not worn heels, really isn't doing her man any favors. Also I'm a little annoyed the the number of bridesmaids and groomsmen aren't matching, just a bit of an annoyance for me. I love the venue, it's very pretty and I think is perfect considering their heritages.

And I would've definitely left that story of how they started talking.....

Madox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,732 3,097 1,438
Alleybux
That dress is hideous.
imagine risking covid for a wedding that has a 50% chance of ending in divorce.
tragic.
My people need to do better.

MamaFatCheeks

LIVE * LAUGH * LOVE * ALOT
Reaction score
Reactions
71,097 972 39
Alleybux
Congratulations to the beautiful couple. They look wonderful together and they have immaculate bone structure. Loved the colors. The bride looked lovely in her dress and I am obsessed with her hair. The cake is really cute and the menu sounds good. I liked the proposal story, that was really special.

ChampagneToast

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,588 1,005 210
Alleybux
The top of that dress doesn't look like it was made to be off the shoulder

I like the table decor and the cake