Quantcast

Black Woman Launches First Black Owned Make Up Line in South Korea (Black in Korea) | MFiles

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,042 19,674 18,911
Alleybux

In this episode of The Melanated Files (MFiles), we introduce Grace Okafor. Grace is the CEO of Beauficial and Dr. GIO Cosmetics, the first black owned South Korean beauty brand for Black women and People of Colour. Watch to hear her story.

Follow us across social media: @bestoriestv

You can find Dr. GIO on social media here: @drgioseoul
You can visit Dr. GIO's website here: degiocosmetics.com
You can visit the Beauficial website here: beauficial.com
You can find Grace on Instagram here: @garceok

EastEmpress

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,866 51 13
Alleybux
Good for her!

The bold, how though? She's literally in a country of ''people of colour''. Is she then really the first?

To clarify are you talking about how she's in South Korea?

I hear you but, and correct me if you've experienced otherwise, South Koreans don't identify as POC. That is until it became "trendy" to be a person of color.

P.S I like your user name and now I'm ferociously craving mandaazi

Molly Grue

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Reaction score
Reactions
67,131 3,619 1,401
Alleybux
Good for her!

The bold, how though? She's literally in a country of ''people of colour''. Is she then really the first?

People of color is a term that doesn't even apply outside of the US. Koreans will never consider themselves people of color, to them they are the status quo, the standard. Korean and asian is the default, not white.

They don't feel like "minorities" because they aren't.

Emmybaby11

even me lord, even me lord, even me, EVEN M-
Reaction score
Reactions
2,906 154 39
Alleybux
i hope they buy all her sh!t since they like to copy everything black people do like the wannabes they are.

yes girl. get all of their coins.

Harmonii

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,629 444 31
Alleybux
I have her video saved in my watch list. This is perfect because you literally have a hard time finding make up in South Korea and Japan for black women. I will definitely support her.

Collected

Imma be honest.....I'm not a fan..
Reaction score
Reactions
144,198 3,802 1,246
Alleybux
I bought some a few weeks ago. I like it very much! I saw a youtuber review it and was like WHY NOT?!

Not gon lie was wonder if she was real bc I searched and couldn't find her. Even videos of the launch party..NOTHING. Thanks op for sharing!

allee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,041 2,869 1,361
Alleybux
This is great and all but we need to learn how to move a little smarter/silently. With all of the racial tension that's going on, I wouldn't be bragging about opening up anything in another country. You never know how the natives are going to react to a foreigner, especially a black person making bank in their country.

Last edited:

Collected

Imma be honest.....I'm not a fan..
Reaction score
Reactions
144,198 3,802 1,246
Alleybux
This is great and all but when need to learn how to move a little smarter/silently. With all of the racial tension that's going on, I wouldn't be bragging about opening up anything in another country. You never know how the natives are going to react to a foreigner, especially a black person, making bank in their country.
The govt gave Beauficial money to start the business as apart of a business accelerator. South Korea institutions in the midst of studying blk folk consumer habits, there's a thread on that.

People worried about being scared when them same people plottin'.

Then we the first ones talkin about how We don't take advantage of this and that.

Rihanna went to SK to launch Fenty and I ain't hear none of that she needed to be quiet.

https://seoulgsc.com/board/view/716?ckattempt=1 (also just found this I apparently needed to search better)

blcktomie

SadBlckGorlಥ_ಥ̥
Reaction score
Reactions
2,632 18 13
Alleybux
Love that she took their formula and made it. I rlly think they should of taken it out that country and to a place where there is a more large amount of black Women lol
Cause it was only a few months that the sk were petitioning for a black man to be kicked out the country cause he told them not to do blackface

Cakeme

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,724 1,409 1,882
Alleybux
Well you have to support her instead of saying Black people Black women that

Mandaazi

New ID: Solarsexual
Reaction score
Reactions
60,420 2,972 1,393
Alleybux
No South Korean outside of the US would ever refer to themselves as a person of color....

People of color is a term that doesn't even apply outside of the US. Koreans will never consider themselves people of color, to them they are the status quo, the standard. Korean and asian is the default, not white.

They don't feel like "minorities" because they aren't.

Agreed though...buhh my thing is...why is it even mentioned in this article? They highlighted her as being the first making makeup for 'black women AND women of colour'. Who are the women of colour in this case? As stated, it's only within (mainly) NAmerican context that POC is used in contrast to whites.

I don't see that it was necessary to mention 'people of colour' at all, that's where I was getting at with my comment.

To clarify are you talking about how she's in South Korea?

I hear you but, and correct me if you've experienced otherwise, South Koreans don't identify as POC. That is until it became "trendy" to be a person of color.

P.S I like your user name and now I'm ferociously craving mandaazi

:heart::heart::heart: