Quantcast

Black Women and Fat

Unique7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
854 153 732
Alleybux
Why do so many people on this site get so worked up when this topic is brought up? Genuinely asking. If done right this discussion could actually be constructive and helpful.

I honestly think that the beauty standards black communities are also to blame for this. I know some black women who would rather stay overweight and keep their ass than actually be fit and healthy. In the BBL-discussion thread people were groaning me when I said going to the gym is always better than risking your life to go under the knife.

Someone made an argument about poorer communities being more likely to eat unhealthy. I don’t think this is due to not « having access to healthy food ». Eating healthy is actually quite cheap. Being a college student I only spent about 50€ monthly on my groceries. 70 if I’m feeling fancy. Eating less meat would save a lot of people coins. However our culture doesn’t necessarily put an emphasis on eating healthy. I was only able to do so when I moved out.

And there’s also the fact that Western food is just a lot more caloric. My mom always loses a ton of weight when she goes back to Cameroon for a few weeks.
I agree, eating healthy is a lot cheaper than eating at fast food restaurants, and just than eating junk food in general. People don't like to eat healthy because it's cultural, too lazy to cook, or they don't like the taste of healthier foods, etc.

Blessence

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,280 1,878 1,207
Alleybux
When I talked about losing weight to other people I got very nasty responses such as “ you are not all of that anyway”, “ain’t nobody thinking about you” etc I no longer bring up losing weight anymore due to the horrible reactions I received

AlexaBrin

Scheming to avenge Lucerys Velaryon
Reaction score
Reactions
223,646 3,454 1,650
Alleybux
I'm going to be upfront - I don't like being fat and I do notice that there is a problem in our community. My aunts continuously tell me "Oh, but you're still beautiful". Ok, but I feel like sh!t.

My highest weight was 205 my freshman year at a PWI and LAWD....anyway, I got down to 145 by my sophomore year and the way I felt about myself and the way others treated me was like night and day.

I've maintained that weight but within the last 2 years, I've ballooned to 185 and I feel terrible. Nothing but the stress of grad school and COVID (and I'm sure aging has played a role). Now my Ibs/GERD, early-onset arthritis, and inflammation markers are all out of wack. It's VERY hard because I feel like I'm starting from scratch, but I'll get back to where I was.

I KNOW people cannot be happy like this. Just physically it is not the wave. sh!t HURTS and I'm only 28.

So many of my BW friends and family are okay being bigger and that's fine live life how you want, but when we're walking and you're out of breath 2 blocks in, there's a problem. I just can't do it anymore.

Anyway, since I've been in a good mindset I'm back on the grind. Down 10 lbs. Hope to keep the momentum up.