Quantcast

Black women don't hire each other, why?

RATED

Reaction score
Reactions
159,518 8,858 5,586
Alleybux
I feel like any thread that paints black women in a negative light fonts get defensive.
& that's what annoys me to no end. They keep it real about every other subject on here, but in their feelings when it comes to talking about themselves? It's hypocritical.
What I look like getting offended on here of threads bashing men, black men, gay men if it's the truth?

baby muva

DC's Original City Girl
Reaction score
Reactions
40,214 2,759 711
Alleybux
I've been hired by Black women and have hired other Black women, but I've noticed this as well.

I was talking about this with someone last year. A lot of it is the trickle down effect of corporate politics (or at least the perception). If a Black woman hires another you, Black woman, the perception is that you were hired because you're a fellow "sistagirl" and not because you're qualified. So she, the person responsible for hiring you, is accountable for all your mistakes even if you don't report directly to her. As another Black woman, you will be directly reflective of her reputation in a way that your non-Black peers never will.

This is also why you can often expect a Black female supervisor to ride her Black female employees much harder than the other team members: because you reflect her.

Black women seem to be a lot more easygoing in government than in corporate America.

Good luck on your hunt!

I live and work in DC so there's a lot of women, especially black women who are in high level positions that interview and select candidates. They are vicious too. The people I see being hired are some people that I don't deem attractive (or competition), or someone that knew somebody and got slid through the cracks.

blkgurl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
59,869 2,077 1,752
Alleybux
Preach! The love this narrative. They also like to say that Black people don't support Black businesses as well. My questions is who is then?

Lies and MORE lies. Take even the responses in this thread and you know what you are alleging is not true. I have been hired by black people I have hired black people AND I have worked at an all black firm. So come BETTER. WHAT ABOUT ALL THE BLACK COMPANIES AND ASSOCIATIONS AND FIRMS with majority or all black people??

Some of you are either young or have no real life experience. And if you want I will post numbers and stats and list black firms in this country.

Yeah, no black people hire other black people...we all hate each other and will never mentor and employ each other. My life and my staff is living proof that you are talking right out of your ass. Now keep talking and I am going to take it right to facts that will annhiliate this ridiculous accusation.

Try me. I have time today.

Look I am not discounting her INDIVIDUAL experiences, but I will not sit on the sidelines and watch someone make sweeping generalizations about black women in hiring positions.

Sometimes a banana is a banana and that means sometimes a black woman didn't hire another black woman because the one she interviewed wasn't the best qualified for the position and then went on to hire another black female. As a black woman and an Executive I am offended and insulted that another black person would write a categorization AGAINST ALL BLACK WOMEN, with no self reflection at all.

The OP starts her accusations with LOOKS AND NOT SKILL. Red flag out of the gate. Any Executive worth any merit looks for the BEST qualified and best skilled...OP didn't talk about her skills and her experiences, but some insane notion that a black women is so incapable of getting past her blinding looks, she can't get hired. I wouldn't care if someone looked like Naomi Campbell or walked around in the same basic outfit and no make up AS LONG AS YOU GET THE JOB DONE. I refuse to allow any person to degrade and catergorically imply that all black women are so petty and superficial in our capacity to interview and hire quality people, that the minute someone attractive steps in the room, we can't think straight. As I said before, that is bµllsh!t.

There will be examples of any type of individual issues and mistreatment in the hiring process and those could include black women, but there are just as many, if not more examples of black women that hire, mentor, and look out for other black women. And note, I am in two black female organizations that actively recruit, mentor and give out scholarships to OTHER BLACK WOMEN. So no, I am not about to let someone try to insinuate and generalize something that I know for a FACT is absolutely false.

OP offered NO self reflection, mentioned looks and not skills, government job and with a panel of people. There are so many red flags to this story and so many OTHER explations on why she is not getting hired, what we are not going to do is take the easy road and blame all black women for her lack of getting employment when she wants it.

baby muva

DC's Original City Girl
Reaction score
Reactions
40,214 2,759 711
Alleybux
Lies and MORE lies. Take even the responses in this thread and you know what you are alleging is not true. I have been hired by black people I have hired black people AND I have worked at an all black firm. So come BETTER. WHAT ABOUT ALL THE BLACK COMPANIES AND ASSOCIATIONS AND FIRMS with majority or all black people??

Some of you are either young or have no real life experience. And if you want I will post numbers and stats and list black firms in this country.

Yeah, no black people hire other black people...we all hate each other and will never mentor and employ each other. My life and my staff is living proof that you are talking right out of your ass. Now keep talking and I am going to take it right to facts that will annhiliate this ridiculous accusation.

Try me. I have time today.

Girl why are you in my thread trying to argue? Aren't you an executive? I'm sure you have more important sh!t to do then sit on here and argue with fonts. You act like I said YOU don't hire black people. I was speaking from experience and from my own perspective. Like, this back and forth is very unnecessary.

baby muva

DC's Original City Girl
Reaction score
Reactions
40,214 2,759 711
Alleybux
I've only been interviewed by a black woman in all my life and although I didn't get the job it was through my own shortcomings in the interview. Meh.

There's a sense of entitlement in your post, OP. Maybe your interview skills need work, you weren't a right fit, or someone was actually better than you for the role. This is one of those things where if you perceive something to be true it will be in your mind. You're having experiences and assume there is a correlation between your rejection, looks and other black women. That's veering on narcissism. Some people go on 100 job interviews and don't get the job, is it fair to assume it's always the interviewer or do you need to be introspective and see where you possibly went wrong.

No entitlement luv, just an observation as stated. I own up to my own shortcomings but when I find out and see who was hired it's always a coincidence. I also have friends who are more qualified and are prettier who are in the same boat. The career field in DC is very competitive and the older blacks that are grandfathered into these govt positions choose whites or other minorities (sometimes).

kelleh rollin

Snacktress
Reaction score
Reactions
29,625 222 33
Alleybux
I don’t think I’ve ever been interviewed by a black woman. I thought there was going to be some research or some stats in this thread, though.

OP, you don’t have to answer, but if you are looking for a job in DC government, perhaps it has more to do with the culture than anything. You probably know better than I do...but these folks ain’t trying to do nothing but hold on to their jobs and retire.

sevenof8

Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
144,118 3,876 1,557
Alleybux
I feel like any thread that paints black women in a negative light fonts get defensive.

And you know what, SO WHAT IF WE DO? I am so sick and tired of people attacking maligning degrading and beating up on black women. We are not the lap dogs and scratching posts for society.

Brother Malcolm said to straight that the most hated person in Amerikkka is the black woman. So if I see someone coming out the gate attacking all black women and trying to insinuate that there is something so foul about us over any other person in this country, I am going to call it out. And if you don't like it, I actually do not care.

You want to have a balanced discourse and talk about perceptions and healing, then let's have it. Again, I am an award winning executive and I have been on countless panels and written about the black woman experience. I am a black nationalist and a woman about the empowerment of black women. I joined this site when it first started and has been here throughout to continue the conversation PAST GOSSIP and into healing and learning and growing. I am ABOUT THAT LIFE, in word, in deed, and creed. We live in upper Black community because we actually care about black people and want to see our people thrive and grow.

Are there areas of improvement? Sure, of course, but there are also areas of opportunity for growth, and self reflection, and empowerment. There is nothing productive in tearing down a black woman you don't know and stepping into a conversation with another black woman and engaging her full of negativity. We as black people, we as black women should have compassion and understanding toward each other and hear both sides.

Too many people on this board want to attack without offering solutions. Too many people on this board use this place as a toliet to vomit all their issues with themselves and the fact that they have negatives about their "blackness" and the society around them with no solution or goal in sight. And that is what I criticize and that is what I attack because we get enough of that from the white supremacist socièty as a whole, we should not be doing it to each other.

SeriesENEC

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
271,505 9,936 1,720
Alleybux
Clearly stated I had a job. I want out so I'm currently looking for something else.

It wasn't clearly stated.

"I have been interviewing for various positions and I never get the job when interviewed by black women and/or gay black men. I almost always get hired by white men and I think maybe a couple times by a white female...and these were panel interviews btw. I also had this issue with my current agency. Interviewed 4 times and finally got an offer the 4th time."

baby muva

DC's Original City Girl
Reaction score
Reactions
40,214 2,759 711
Alleybux
It wasn't clearly stated.

"I have been interviewing for various positions and I never get the job when interviewed by black women and/or gay black men. I almost always get hired by white men and I think maybe a couple times by a white female...and these were panel interviews btw. I also had this issue with my current agency. Interviewed 4 times and finally got an offer the 4th time."

As stated, as clear as day.

BLKBAMBI

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,999 14,292 10,403
Alleybux
No entitlement luv, just an observation as stated. I own up to my own shortcomings but when I find out and see who was hired it's always a coincidence. I also have friends who are more qualified and are prettier who are in the same boat. The career field in DC is very competitive and the older blacks that are grandfathered into these govt positions choose whites or other minorities (sometimes).

Every Black or Black-African woman that I've encountered from that DC/Maryland area has been surface level-professional but not nice and actually unprofessional.

Last edited:

sophiasofi

For half a minute there wasn't a sound.
Reaction score
Reactions
333,309 12,152 6,803
Alleybux
OP, I used to have the same experience. If I was getting interviewed by a BW or Latino woman, I knew I could forget it.

I was mainly hired by white women, men and BM. That's it!

But...when I would actually get hired in on a job, I would get along with most/all black women on the job.

..but hiring part, it's sad because I knew what it meant as soon as I finished interviewing.

As a result, as soon as I got in positions to hire people, I always try to pull for fellow black women if all possible.

N A M E

Team Owner
SUPER MODERATOR
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
182,317 5,761 998
Alleybux
A lot of it is the trickle down effect of corporate politics (or at least the perception). If a Black woman hires another you, Black woman, the perception is that you were hired because you're a fellow "sistagirl" and not because you're qualified. So she, the person responsible for hiring you, is accountable for all your mistakes even if you don't report directly to her. As another Black woman, you will be directly reflective of her reputation in a way that your non-Black peers never will.
This happened to me. I hired a few young black women and was heavily penalized for it. One of them was really talented but quite green on politics, she made some mistakes but nothing she couldn't be coached on. Her work product was 1000% on point, but my executive wanted her head on a platter. And when I wasn't willing to serve her up it caused a huge rift between us that could not be repaired.

Teigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,493 909 240
Alleybux
Secure black women will hire you but unfortunately for me, I had a insecure black woman as a supervisor that made my life hell. I did nothing to this person yet she gave a girl who couldn't remember her email address and had to write it down ( email is first initial , last name @ company name) a higher score on a promotion even though I had to do her work cause she was taking a long time.

Consider yourself lucky , you don't want to work for someone like that they end up being a bully .

Shyy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
140,505 6,577 2,597
Alleybux
A black woman gave me my FIRST job when I graduated from college. My current supervisor is a black woman. I would say that over half of the hiring managers that pulled my resume were black women. My name ends with -sha so that could be why..

Reaction score
Reactions
5,917 206 110
Alleybux
I don’t see why one BW wouldn’t want to hire another BW.

In a society that places damn near everybody above BW why wouldn’t BW look out for each other, especially in the work place?

Maybe it’s just you sis.

kettleballs

On Ye's workout plan, never an Ozempic bobblehead
Reaction score
Reactions
209,252 22,216 18,695
Alleybux
Jealousy.

You are a threat to them if you are viewed as more accomplished or look better.

Tale as old as time.

F4ces

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
894 14 2
Alleybux
I've only been interviewed twice by black women. ( In my case, they are rarely in a position to hire). A black woman interviewed me for my current position and thankfully we made a connection. Prior to, a black woman interviewed me and I'll never forget what she said to me "I don't hire black people just because they are black." Although I think she meant well, it did not sit right with me. The others hire their own, but black people, no. They want to put you through hell first. The black woman did end up referring me to her white colleague who was over the hiring, and I did get the job eventually.
Exactly white people, latinx's and Asians are forever hiring their own so why won't we do that?

blahblahlaila

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,658 506 285
Alleybux
I have never heard of a black female hiring manager that doesn’t turn around and pull every black resume to interview.

When I was in charge of HR I made sure I interviewed every black person whose name came across my desk. If you said she was a manager or coworker I would believe this...

LETSLEX

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,771 295 344
Alleybux
They’ll quickly be accused of playing favorites even if the black woman is a better applicant

Chosen1111

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
37,404 528 316
Alleybux
I had it happen to me before. I was interviewed by 2 black women. We talked about my experience and they both said I had great work history. I thought the interview went well and I thought they liked me.
It was at a call center where pretty much anyone can get hired. I even knew people who got jobs there with no experience (which is normal for a call center) and some people didn't even have a GED or high school diploma.
I had to do a practice call and she said I did very good.
After the interview I was told to go sit in the lobby while they discussed everything.
Less than 10 minutes later this white lady calls me into her office and told me that I didn't get the job. I was very confused but I still remained professional. She said the woman who interviewed me said I "struggled with the call flow" and that was the reason I wasn't selected.
I previously worked for the exact same company in a different city so I definitely knew what I was doing and didn't "struggle" with a call flow like she claimed.
The white lady looked over my resume and pointed it out that I worked for the company before and she said she didn't get why I wasn't hired then asked me was I interested in applying for their sales department. I kindly declined. I was just trying to get out of my factory job that I had at the time and thats the only reason I applied so I really didn't care that I wasn't hired. I knew what time it was though.

That sh!t really does happen despite what people say.
I remember her giving me a weird look when she came out to call the next person for a interview and I wanted to knock her lace front back. I knew I wasn't hired because she was hating and just came up with a bs reason, period.

When I was in management I never did anything like that. Even if I wasn't 100% sure about someone I still tried to give everyone a chance. I hired women of all shapes and shades.

Rondie54

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
8,970 377 288
Alleybux
Don't discredit someone's experiences just because you've never encountered this type of behavior. There is definitely a lot of truth to what O.P is saying because I have experienced it and witnessed it.
I remember a black hiring manager passed me up for a position because she said I failed an assessment which I found to be odd. The CEO of the company e-mailed me a week later and was curious to know why did I decline the offer. He said he was really impressed with my resume and my "perfect" score on the assessment. I told him what happened and he apologized and asked me to come to the orientation at the beginning of the following month. That hiring manager was the only black person in that office and had the nerve to try and be cool with me once I started. She would try and come up to me with that pseudo woke nonsense. I remained civil with her but kept my distance.

And those those do this are usually the ones to screw you over... at least in my experience. Idiots.

ScorpioRising

Unfriendly Black Hottie
Reaction score
Reactions
73,962 2,132 723
Alleybux
Very seldom do they hire really attractive young black women

This part stood out to me. Like others in the thread, my experience has been the opposite and it's other Black women who have been my biggest champions and saving grace in getting into white dominated professional spaces. I'm conventionally attractive as well btw.

I'm honestly saying this to be constructive, so please consider that you may be projecting this nonexistent feeling of competition and turning these interviewers off of you. Be confident, but also be humble. You're asking them to take a chance on you, and in business all people want to know is that you're capable and not going to be unbearable to be around. So by you going in and thinking you're so much more beautiful than everyone else, and expecting them to resent you for it... you could possibly be conveying shallowness or aloofness. Good luck in your search ❤️

Brucilla

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
261,888 4,359 3,302
Alleybux
I have seen the exact opposite. I have hired and mentored several black women. On the few occasions where black women interviewed me, they pulled for me HARD.

And just about all of my friends actively recruit bw... one is stacking the deck for my niece as we speak.

JustRobin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
12,948 158 23
Alleybux
Hmm, not my experience at all. In the current job I have a black Sr. Executive personally hired me.

I did not interview with her, but she observed me in the lobby of my office building while I was waiting to be interviewed. I had to wait over an hour due to severe flooding in the area & my interviewer was late. My interviewer was a white woman. I did my best & didn't hear back for about 3 weeks. Unbeknownst to me, it was because the Sr. Executive was ensuring I received locality pay, even though, I was told I would not even though I would have to relocate to more expensive area for the job.

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,621 4,240 1,018
Alleybux
The last time I got hired for a job--close to three years ago--the woman who hired me was black! Most of my bosses before then have not been black women, but my black female colleagues have always been nothing but great.

I've always had black women looking out for me on the employment front. Hell we all we got.

LazyDaisy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
212,347 3,164 1,232
Alleybux
Oh my goodness, this thread is such bµllsh!t. I am an Executive, I am a boss, and I am a hiring manager and I have hired, promoted, and given bonuses to black women. I know countless black women that are also Executives and have hired other black women. When I was in non management positons, I was hired approximately three times by OTHER BLACK WOMEN.

So here's what we are not going to do is bash black women and start stereotyping each other when there are plenty of cases where black women promote other black women.

I am involved in approximately five black organizations and societies. Two of these are for black women. I have spoken at black women conferenes, have had other black women sponsor entire conferences and scholarships and fellowships for black women.

Not going to sit and watch this black woman witchhunt.
This! Anytime I'm given an opportunity to interview open positions at my job I'm always rooting for the black women. I pretty much took the lead on hiring our black female grad assistant. I even want to start my own scholarship fund in the future for black women pursuing graduate study.

zydepep

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,955 343 186
Alleybux
Ive only had issues with younger (30s) black women who are obsessed with their sorority and hiring within their sorority. My experience with older black women is the exact opposite (they have favored me).

hunchy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,007 923 541
Alleybux
Been there op don't let these fonts make it seem like it's all in your head all on you. It could be a regional thing. Where do you live?

Reaction score
Reactions
993 80 141
Alleybux
I did work for one pro- Black entrepreneur that spoke about the progress of the race and culture. Then had the nerve to offer to pay me in her homemade toothpaste and deodorant :cautious:

Fredsaid1841

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,643 61 46
Alleybux
Where are you guys finding these black managers to hire you? I must be in the wrong field because all I see is white people all the time lol