BLM Co-Founder Patrisse Khan-Cullors Buys $1.4M Topanga Canyon Compound

TWEET TOMLIN

HAUPTÜBUNGSLEITERIN
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
1,077,318 42,715 6,195
Alleybux

Black Lives Matter Co-Founder Patrisse Khan-Cullors Lands Topanga Canyon Compound​

Patrisse Cullors Los Angeles House

Buyer: Patrisse Khan-Cullors
Price: $1.4 million
Specs: (approx.) 2,400 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms plus 1-bed/1-bath guesthouse
Lot Size: .27 acres

A secluded mini-compound tucked into L.A.’s rustic and semi-remote Topanga Canyon was recently sold for a tad more than $1.4 million to a corporate entity that public records show is controlled by Patrisse Khan-Cullors, 37-year-old social justice visionary and co-founder of the galvanizing and, for some, controversial Black Lives Matter movement.
Kahn-Cullors, a UCLA and USC graduate married about five years ago to social activist (and amateur boxer) Janaya Khan, co-founder of Black Lives Matter Toronto, created the #BlackLivesMatter hashtag in 2013 in response to George Zimmerman’s acquittal in the 2012 shooting of Trayvon Martin. Since then, the largely decentralized movement has been at the influential forefront on issues of police brutality and racially motivated violence against Black people, particularly in the wake of George Floyd’s killing last summer that sparked massive protests across the United States and around the globe. Kahn-Cullors’ published “When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir” in 2018.

A winding 15 minute drive from The Commons at Calabasas and a slightly longer and somewat less serpentine drive from Malibu’s Getty Villa, the pint-sized compound spans about one-quarter of an acre. The property’s not-quite 2,400 square feet is divided between the a three-bedroom and two-bath main house and a separate one-bed/one-bath apartment capable of hosting guests long term with a private entry and a living room with kitchenette.
Interior spaces feature bamboo floors and, in the spacious open-plan living room, dining area and kitchen, vaulted ceilings clad in knotty pine. A whitewashed raised hearth brick fireplace anchors the living room and numerous skylights baths the cavernous space with natural light.
The two guest bedrooms and hall bathroom are fairly ordinary, as is the simple and up-to-date though not especially high-end kitchen, while the primary bedroom offers a vaulted and wood-clad ceiling plus a small sitting area with glass sliders to the backyard.
An un-landscaped dust bowl with little charm besides the natural beauty of the trees and rugged mountains that envelope the property, the backyard offers little more than a covered patio for alfresco dining, a small deck and a tiny freestanding cabin best suited as a home office, meditation retreat or art studio.
The listing was managed by Stefanie Becker at Coldwell Banker Realty and the buyer by Nina Kurtz at Compass.

ImOut

2 many whytes…
Reaction score
Reactions
50,387 869 271
Alleybux
So... this is so disappointing! Hearing stories that the families of victims have been used as props for certain people to get money.

The trauma and pain ... and someone capitalizing on that.

Hugs and Kisses

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,203 7,528 7,481
Alleybux
Y’all are about to show out, but I have no problems with activists receiving big deals for their activism

Prices in Los Angeles are outrageous, though. That is all that $1,400,000 buys?

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,597 4,240 1,018
Alleybux
IKYFL.

One-point-four million dollars, and all she has is 2400 sq ft and a quarter of an acre? :sidefrown

And they got the gall to call it a compound.

tenor.gif

I guess it looks okay on the inside, but it has zero curb appeal. It looks dusty. But let me hush and go do something productive for a couple of hours.

redbud tree

Ballin in Instabal, Turkey
Reaction score
Reactions
383,662 10,681 3,149
Alleybux
Looks like a scrubby farm from one angle (at least). I love the inside (except for the 1980s cupboards). I hope she'll do some landscaping.

"An un-landscaped dust bowl with little charm" LMAO

Scamming folks pays off, huh. That’s y’all money lol ;)

I knew somebody would come with this...

Cullors' book, When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir[33][34] was published in January 2018. It was co-written with the journalist asha bandele[35] and featured a foreword from Angela Davis. The Times Literary Supplement reviewed it as a "magnificent accomplishment."[36] It appeared at number 12 on the nonfiction hardcover The New York Times Best Seller list on February 4, 2018.[37]

Documentary and television/film​

Cullors is currently producing a YouTube Originals series titled Resist, which premiered November 18, 2020.[38] She also signed a multi-year deal with Warner Brothers. She also appeared in the 2016 documentary Stay Woke: The Black Lives Matter Movement.

Kitizen

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,928 36 5
Alleybux
So this is where the donation money’s going, huh?
90342874-AE5F-4CFD-B0E0-89B3580D9AB8.gif

ETA: I’m not saying just because she’s an activist or runs a nonprofit that she should be living like she earns minimum wage. However, it isn’t a good look to be profiting from the injustice faced by our people. The mothers of dead Black children are going years without receiving justice of any kind, while those in charge of the organization that’s at the forefront of the movement are pocketing millions.

Last edited:

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,797 19,021 12,528
Alleybux
Looks like a scrubby farm from one angle (at least). I love the inside (except for the 1980s cupboards). I hope she'll do some landscaping.

Cullors' book, When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir[33][34] was published in January 2018. It was co-written with the journalist asha bandele[35] and featured a foreword from Angela Davis. The Times Literary Supplement reviewed it as a "magnificent accomplishment."[36] It appeared at number 12 on the nonfiction hardcover The New York Times Best Seller list on February 4, 2018.[37]

Cullors is currently producing a YouTube Originals series titled Resist, which premiered November 18, 2020.[38] She also signed a multi-year deal with Warner Brothers. She also appeared in the 2016 documentary Stay Woke: The Black Lives Matter Movement.

All of those deals were through her BLM stuff. She still profited from all this.

KardiKi

Marketing Director of The Daily Punctilio
Reaction score
Reactions
20,754 361 91
Alleybux
The optics aren't good, but I guess if she was really trying to hide she knows there are better ways

musiclover55

Anime Bae
Reaction score
Reactions
77,889 2,041 1,471
Alleybux
Eh, not a good look because people will assume negative things. Personally, I definitely would’ve bought a nice house (activists deserve nice things) but something way cheaper than $1.4 million.

abijean

It's 5:00. Do you know who/where your THUN is?
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
101,499 2,740 1,837
Alleybux
But no legal defense fund.

See... NAACP set up the separate entity Legal Defense Fund. They do the REAL sh!t.

Do you see what formal organization gets vs social media activism?

Results vs. a hustle.

MoneyOverLove

The Marathon Continues..
Reaction score
Reactions
537,886 10,733 5,860
Alleybux
When you run non-profits you will face sh^t like this EVERY time. People will always question where your funds actually came from.

DestinyMarie21

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,368 2,266 1,009
Alleybux

"An un-landscaped dust bowl with little charm" LMAO

And I’m sure she doesn’t have to touch any of her money, being BLM got 90 million in donations and only donated a quarter of it/ can’t account for the rest.

redbud tree

Reaction score
Reactions
383,662 10,681 3,149
Alleybux
And I’m sure she doesn’t have to touch any of her money, being BLM got 90 million in donations and only donated a quarter of it/ can’t account for the rest.

If that's true, and is something that the public knows, then I'm surprised that they haven't been investigated. And if she had that kind of bread, I'd think she'd at least get a cuter place.

Eh, not a good look because people will assume negative things. Personally, I definitely would’ve bought a nice house (activists deserve nice things) but something way cheaper than $1.4 million.

In that area? I don't know if that's a thing.

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,797 19,021 12,528
Alleybux
People like acting obtuse.

Exactly. I don't believe she is literally taking money from donations and buying houses or using it for herself. But she nor the other women were millionaires before this.

They are millionaires now because of the corporate money thrown at them for "activism". "Activism" that does not include any legal framework, political work etc. They are basically corporate mascots. They claimed they are marxists yet sign multi-year deals with corporations for their own personal gain.

I know it is a good deal for them but it sucks because the money could actually go to good use in the black community. These folks only care about transgender/gender queerness whatever xesual/gender stuff in the black community.

sophiasofi

For half a minute there wasn't a sound.
Reaction score
Reactions
333,250 12,152 6,801
Alleybux
Look at what dead, black bodies can get the most enterprising people. 1.4 million...the business of "BLACK DEATH" is very, very lucrative.

KarmaPolice

VeridisQuo
Reaction score
Reactions
36,132 1,206 181
Alleybux

Black Lives Matter Co-Founder Patrisse Khan-Cullors Lands Topanga Canyon Compound​

Buyer: Patrisse Khan-Cullors
Price: $1.4 million
Specs: (approx.) 2,400 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms plus 1-bed/1-bath guesthouse
Lot Size: .27 acres

A secluded mini-compound tucked into L.A.’s rustic and semi-remote Topanga Canyon was recently sold for a tad more than $1.4 million to a corporate entity that public records show is controlled by Patrisse Khan-Cullors, 37-year-old social justice visionary and co-founder of the galvanizing and, for some, controversial Black Lives Matter movement.
Kahn-Cullors, a UCLA and USC graduate married about five years ago to social activist (and amateur boxer) Janaya Khan, co-founder of Black Lives Matter Toronto, created the #BlackLivesMatter hashtag in 2013 in response to George Zimmerman’s acquittal in the 2012 shooting of Trayvon Martin. Since then, the largely decentralized movement has been at the influential forefront on issues of police brutality and racially motivated violence against Black people, particularly in the wake of George Floyd’s killing last summer that sparked massive protests across the United States and around the globe. Kahn-Cullors’ published “When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir” in 2018.

A winding 15 minute drive from The Commons at Calabasas and a slightly longer and somewat less serpentine drive from Malibu’s Getty Villa, the pint-sized compound spans about one-quarter of an acre. The property’s not-quite 2,400 square feet is divided between the a three-bedroom and two-bath main house and a separate one-bed/one-bath apartment capable of hosting guests long term with a private entry and a living room with kitchenette.
Interior spaces feature bamboo floors and, in the spacious open-plan living room, dining area and kitchen, vaulted ceilings clad in knotty pine. A whitewashed raised hearth brick fireplace anchors the living room and numerous skylights baths the cavernous space with natural light.
The two guest bedrooms and hall bathroom are fairly ordinary, as is the simple and up-to-date though not especially high-end kitchen, while the primary bedroom offers a vaulted and wood-clad ceiling plus a small sitting area with glass sliders to the backyard.
An un-landscaped dust bowl with little charm besides the natural beauty of the trees and rugged mountains that envelope the property, the backyard offers little more than a covered patio for alfresco dining, a small deck and a tiny freestanding cabin best suited as a home office, meditation retreat or art studio.
The listing was managed by Stefanie Becker at Coldwell Banker Realty and the buyer by Nina Kurtz at Compass.

1. The house is ugly.
2. The house looks cheap.
3. That little "apartment" out back reminds me of outhouses that my country relatives had.
4. People who work for non-profits (or religious organizations, for that matter) living expensive lives is not a good look. Like, people should have a living wage but living in million dollar + homes, luxury cars, etc. is a bit hypocritical to your dedication of "service."

harls

I ho’d so you could fly.
Reaction score
Reactions
252,057 5,751 278
Alleybux
Looks dated and needs to be landscaped. I don’t think it’s bad, but I guess for that price in California you would need to do some work.

redbud tree

Reaction score
Reactions
383,662 10,681 3,149
Alleybux
People always want black women to work for free. Then when they end up old and by themselves like Rosa Parks someone outside of the community must help them.

Same thing nearly happened to Coretta, because Martin gave his earnings to the SCLC. When he was killed, some of the donations were sent to the SCLC instead of directly to her - they kept the money. Starting the foundation is what kept her and the kids afloat.

Now, if BLM is indeed committing some kind of malfeasance, that needs to be investigated. But I don't begrudge this woman a house. Especially not one this modest. Sounds like she's paying for the location.

Dior Addict

In Meek We Trust ⟨™⟩
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
903,244 77,596 5,116
Alleybux
Does anyone know what the founders were doing before they found their "calling"? There’s been a lack of transparency regarding how the funds will be allocated and quiet frankly the IRS should do an audit.

Notgone27

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
191,666 7,388 7,367
Alleybux
I don’t support any “activist”

it don’t take much of anything to be loud on social media and don’t have a job but protest all day.

but good for her, get it how you live it. I have no hate for a black people who come up. You only have one life to live, live that sh!t for YOU

pinkkryptonite

Bonnets 'r Us
Reaction score
Reactions
149,227 5,006 464
Alleybux
No one would care about the "optics" of an npo cofounder buying a $1000000+ home if there was actually some transparency in the organization's finances. So, yes I sideeye tf out of this.