Quantcast

Board Access / Load Issues

Loxy

<span style="font-weight: bold;font-family: Kriste
Reaction score
Reactions
7,488 1
Alleybux
This past Saturday I upgraded the vBCommerce software to the latest version. Later that evening the server began experiencing high loads that made it difficult to access the site. ...

I know vBCommerce has become pretty popular on this board and I will do all I can to save it. Please be patient while I investigate all of the options that are available.

Condi, I will be patient. Thanks for the explanation. I'm probably in the minority when I say I could careless about vBCommerce, but that's just me. It's more important for me to be able to get my LSA fix daily...especially when things are really hopping. The other night was almost the worst night in forever (yeah, I'm being dramatic). I could not get on LSA for like 24 hrs. and when I was able to get on it kept going down. :disapointed: Humph! I was just :at-wits-end: and frustrated, so much so that I tried going to another site. :bulgy-eyes: Oh Condi, it was absolutely awful! :shock: I absolutely hated it. If it ever comes down to vBCommerce and LSA going down, I say bunk vBCommerce! :pcrying: Sorry y'all, but I've been traumatized beyond explanation. *sniff sniff*

THE GRiNCH

Its Still 1Step FWD
Reaction score
Reactions
15,603 9 4
Alleybux
man..shhhhushh!! If yall would be quite & read :geek: 4 a moment instead of gossiping you may learn a little something about the state & condition of the board.

Eta: I personally think it's rude 2 ask condi 2 "get a rm" on her own site. You *fail* hard 4 that one!!

ok...im gonna need you 2 to get a room....all this insider talk is going to make my head explode.....

Beaute En Noir

I Am His Muse...
Reaction score
Reactions
20,298 2 4
Alleybux
Condi, I will be patient. Thanks for the explanation. I'm probably in the minority when I say I could careless about vBCommerce, but that's just me. It's more important for me to be able to get my LSA fix daily...especially when things are really hopping. The other night was almost the worst night in forever (yeah, I'm being dramatic). I could not get on LSA for like 24 hrs. and when I was able to get on it kept going down. :disapointed: Humph! I was just :at-wits-end: and frustrated, so much so that I tried going to another site. :bulgy-eyes: Oh Condi, it was absolutely awful! :shock: I absolutely hated it. If it ever comes down to vBCommerce and LSA going down, I say bunk vBCommerce! :pcrying: Sorry y'all, but I've been traumatized beyond explanation. *sniff sniff*

I agree.. I definitely can do without VB commerce.. and I even own a shop. I just did it for fun... I will be glad to close mine Condi if it helps...

Actually... I know this sounds funny coming from me.. (since I was the one who bought so many gifts in the beginning..) but I kinda like the old gifts anyway...

Don't hate me... I have a shopping problem..(pulls out shopperholic anonymous card)
:freaked-out:

B.B.G.

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Reaction score
Reactions
54,946 10 6
Alleybux
I agree with you Kindred...the old gifts would be fine. :yes:

Dred

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
19,141 5 5
Alleybux
man..shhhhushh!! If yall would be quite & read :geek: 4 a moment instead of gossiping you may learn a little something about the state & condition of the board.

Eta: I personally think it's rude 2 ask condi 2 "get a rm" on her own site. You *fail* hard 4 that one!!
the word is "quiet"...and i can tell her to get a room....she doesn't usually scare me....

TheTicket

Ten Steps Ahead
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
45,820 18 14
Alleybux
<<< can't "run" & shop & mod the Entertainment folks... You can "x" mine, if you need... :fing02:

___PW___

<span style="display: inline-block; filter:progid:
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,579 1
Alleybux
Admin are you still working on the board because my pages are overlapping each other and taking a while to upload. Normally I can go through pages very fast but now its taking forever to view each page.

Can you give us a heads up as to when this problem will be fixed because I'll come back then? Its giving me a headache with this pages overlapping like this.

Also the font is much smaller... is that suppose to happen?

Rev Pstation

FREE DONALD TRUMP LOCK JOE BIDEN UP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
21,466 3,933 16,088
Alleybux
8gb seems a bit on the low end of things for a board this large. generally you want to have enough ram that the entire database including indexes can be cached in ram by the OS to cut back on the # of reads necessary. if you're using swap that's another huge issue in itself.

but it sounds to me from what you posted that it's most likely vb commerce was running some poorly optimized queries that required table scan, temp table to be created on disk, etc. i doubt its a prob on the php side of things since unlike C++ php *should* not have memory leaks since it handles garbage collection and etc. only times i've experienced any sort of memory leak with php is when stupidly trying to handle some huge dataset, playing with some wacky extensions, not destroying objects with gd, etc.

GirlieBe

<span style="font-weight: bold;font-style: italic;
Reaction score
Reactions
11,357 41 3
Alleybux
I normally don't let this boards liars and bullshitters get to me but after sleeping for about 7 hours over a 72 hour period while I debugged this board I'm not going to tolerate it in this thread. I know the lie that's going around is that the board was hacked. It wasn't. And if you want to spread that lie, take it somewhere else.

:hug: it's much appreciated Condi.

i love LSA too much so i wont b stressing at all if u gotta cut the vbcommerce

~Dimples~

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,549 6 1
Alleybux
I'm a shop-a-holic in both real life and e-life, so I enjoy the shops, but I also really liked the old gifts, so going back to the old gifts would be fine with me.

ETA: BTW, my pernts don't seem to be increasing.

patsgirl531

debutante
Reaction score
Reactions
14,394 16 7
Alleybux
Sounds like a memory leak in the latest version of vBCommerce. Obviously, I have not seen the server statistics but if there is a process server side that continually spins and consumes more and more resources the issue sounds like the vb commerce plug in as you have undoubtedly identified. Unless we can distribute that load across multiple dedicated processors or machines(load balance) and place a resource limit on the process causing the issue I can't think of any other option off the top of my head. But even doing that is crutching up a badly written piece of software that shouldn't be causing our issues in the first place.

Alternatively, I think many of the shop owners MAY be willing to copy their items locally, downgrade the vbcommerce plug-in to the working version, and set up the shops again in the old version.

Just a thought from the outside looking in.

I agree with you in your conclusion as it doesn't sound as if it warrants a physical hardware solution. Also, I don't think its necessary to change your storage solution either. Your initial cost and support cost would also increase moving to a RAID solution so would your management time. The configuration of your RAID environment would also take considerable time. I think our best case scenario in this case is to back out the current implementation of VBCommerce and re-install the previous version. We could give the shop owners, say 2 days to copy all of their .gifs, folders, and price points locally and remove this beta version of vbcommerce. We then re-install the previous version, ensure working functionality, then allow all of the shop owners back in to upload their .gifs etc.

This way, it takes the burden off of the server and your time while giving the LSA users back the functionality of vbcommerce while at the same time eliminating those who do not want shops any longer or who are now not committed to the idea of owning a shop.

Otherwise, we continue on without vbcommerce unless we find someway to spread the load across dedicated processors or machines in order to support the spiraling memory usage which still may bring down both servers at a later time anyway. The issue would still apply when the 'gold' release is available as we have no assurance that this issue will be corrected nor do we have a confirmed delivery date of said solution. It doesn't sound like the developer applies any rigor in the QA process so we are still in the dark employing blind hope.

Going forward, we may utilize a separate logical environment where we do these installations in a 'non-production' environment(call it test or patch-test) which mirrors LSA and which may be kept current on a weekly basis. This way we can do these types of installations and test all aspects of the plug-in before releasing it to the production environment. I don't know how expensive another logical environment would be for you but we could trap these types of issues before rolling them to PROD.

Just my initial thoughts

:err: Umm Sire who are you, really???? Some CFO computer geek intellectual black nationalist dude:spinny: