Alleybux
wqu8me.png

mmmagus1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
177 4 8
Alleybux
He was ahead of his time. We have those now. We call them Cornel West, Tyler Perry, and Lee Daniels.

Reaction score
Reactions
90 2 9
Alleybux
Truth. He knew even 100 years ago. He took responsibilty for his life instead of always placing blame. Became an icon instead of a statistic.

ashbee

Ignoramus
Reaction score
Reactions
261,505 8,882 11,234
Alleybux
Here's my beef with Mr. Washington. While I am 100% in the self-reliance camp, self-reliance is a toothless tiger without political power because without it you don't have sustainability. That and he was anti-civil rights.

Plus the Atlanta compromise was some bµllsh!t. For those who don't know, the Atlanta Compromise address was a speech which outlined Washington's philosophy on race matters. In this speech, he called on white America to provide jobs and industrial-agricultural education for Negroes. In exchange, blacks would give up demands for social equality and civil rights.

Let me take it one step further.

The philosophy of Washington was one of accommodation to white oppression. He advised blacks to trust the paternalism of the southern whites and accept the fact of white supremacy.

bet-ruckus-reality100.jpg

Miss Brave

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
21,579 12 4
Alleybux
Here's my beef with Mr. Washington. While I am 100% in the self-reliance camp, self-reliance is a toothless tiger without political power because without it you don't have sustainability. That and he was anti-civil rights.

Plus the Atlanta compromise was some bµllsh!t. For those who don't know, the Atlanta Compromise address was a speech which outlined Washington's philosophy on race matters. In this speech, he called on white America to provide jobs and industrial-agricultural education for Negroes. In exchange, blacks would give up demands for social equality and civil rights.

I was hoping you would say what I wanted to say in a more eloquent way. I couldn't get my thoughts out right.

Thx!

But I still agree Up From Slavery is necessary reading. So folks won't think I'm dismissing him.

ashbee

Ignoramus
Reaction score
Reactions
261,505 8,882 11,234
Alleybux
All y'all Booker T fans....

Do you accept white supremacy?

If the almighty white man gave y'all the keys to the middle class kingdom in exchange for you accepting him as the rightful ruler of this country, would you accept?

mmmagus1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
177 4 8
Alleybux

The philosophy of Washington was one of accommodation to white oppression. He advised blacks to trust the paternalism of the southern whites and accept the fact of white supremacy.

I learned about this in American history. Washington believed we needed to work for whites and prove ourselves equal and Dubois said we should demand it. That's what I learned. I was too quick to groan u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

GangstaBoo

From the Streetz to the Altar! I DID IT!
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
103,352 7,611 15,354
Alleybux
I learned about this in American history. Washington believed we needed to work for whites and prove ourselves equal and Dubois said we should demand it. That's what I learned. I was too quick to groan u.

Dubois grew up privileged (by a black person's standards in that time period), free and up North.

Washington was born a slave, poor and Southener. The argument between them is valid but also like comparing apples and oranges.

They grew up completely different!

Washington used the Atlanta Compromise speech and it's content to get blacks an opportunity to finally get an education. If you're gonna discuss his writings and speeches I urge you to do them in context and not just by pulling out quotes.

mmmagus1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
177 4 8
Alleybux
Dubois grew up privileged (by a black person's standards in that time period), free and up North.

Washington was born a slave, poor and Southener. The argument between them is valid but also like comparing apples and oranges.

They grew up completely different!

Washington used the Atlanta Compromise speech and it's content to get blacks an opportunity to finally get an education. If you're gonna discuss his writings and speeches I urge you to do them in context and not just by pulling out quotes.

Both are flawed in some way though. I guess coming up poor, you take what you can get. Washington was probably more practical though considering him wanting blacks to just focus on learning a trade for the moment.

Come4TheQueen

Listening: What Would You Do? - Tha Dogg Pound
Reaction score
Reactions
250,922 8,285 2,785
Alleybux
All y'all Booker T fans....

Do you accept white supremacy?

If the almighty white man gave y'all the keys to the middle class kingdom in exchange for you accepting him as the rightful ruler of this country, would you accept?

I always believed he, like Zora Neale Hurston, were against segregation because it weakened the sustainability of the black family and the black community as a whole. Not relying, accepting or supporting white supremacy, but rejecting it by building our own sh!t.

Come4TheQueen

Listening: What Would You Do? - Tha Dogg Pound
Reaction score
Reactions
250,922 8,285 2,785
Alleybux
Both are flawed in some way though. I guess coming up poor, you take what you can get. Washington was probably more practical though considering him wanting blacks to just focus on learning a trade for the moment.

And controversial, cause it was right at the peak of the industrial revolution. Many still felt sharecropping was the only way to really make a living, while the country was in the midst of an economical shift.

mmmagus1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
177 4 8
Alleybux
And controversial, cause it was right at the peak of the industrial revolution. Many still felt sharecropping was the only way to really make a living, while the country was in the midst of an economical shift.

By thinking like that, they risk becoming obsolete. Change with the times or become irrelevant. Speaking of which, they wanna say our people are stuck in the stone ages or some BS and that we're obsolete. Just a random thought.

Neutrality

Spiritual
Reaction score
Reactions
11,455 21 22
Alleybux

Washington was more complicated than that. Funnily enough, I think he's probably one of the best real-life examples of DuBois' double-consciousness theory. He used appeasement rhetoric in letters and speeches to potential white donors in order to get their donations, lol. In private, he was donating his own money to causes that were trying to agitate for integration and for more political power for black people. So, he really had no intention of just accepting Jim Crow. His end game was political power that would be buttressed by a strong economic base where even the poorest black people would be employed and could provide for themselves. Playing identity politics without money and really getting what you want doesn't work in this country.

mmmagus1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
177 4 8
Alleybux
How about Sharpton, Jackson, Dyson.....countless others?

Sharpton and Jackson are perfect examples, but I actually like Dyson kinda. He seems genuine and not focused on stirring up racial tension.

The Culture

News Alley

Top Bottom