Boy finds mummified body hanging in Dayton, Ohio, home

memyselfni

DEATH TO SIDECHICKS-BRING BACK SHAME.
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
246,268 40,325 6,184
Alleybux
(CNN) -- In an empty, dusty house, a boy stumbled upon a classic horror movie scenario this week: A mummified corpse hanging by the neck from a rope.
And officials say it had been there for five years.
Until the boy made his way inside the ramshackle house in Dayton, Ohio, on Sunday, neighbors didn't think anyone lived there, said spokesman Ken Betz from the Montgomery County Coroner's office.
They thought the house was abandoned, and it looked that way.
The front door was papered with citations for the overgrown yard, and no one came and went from the address. The home was unfurnished.

Inside, however, was the body of Edward Brunton, hanging from a rope in the closet.
Betz estimated that Brunton had been hanging there since the fall of 2009, when he would have been in his late 40s, and while it appears to have been a suicide, he said the official cause and manner of his death has not yet been determined.
The closet shielded his body from rapid decomposition, animals and insects, resulting in the mummy-like condition the boy found it in.
"Because of the location where he was found, it was relatively protected, sunlight-protected, temperature-protected and low humidity," coroner Kent Harshbarger told CNN affiliate WDTN.

Brunton died before he could have much contact with his neighbors. He was also estranged from his family and friends, thus no one ever reported him missing, Betz said.
The boy's mother, Michelle McGrath, went into the house to investigate. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until she entered the room that housed the closet.
"When I crossed the threshold of the room, is when I smelled it," she said.
She called the police.
Authorities found identification documents on Brunton's body. His estranged brother, who still recognized him, confirmed it was him.

Baguette

Resident Nice Person
Reaction score
Reactions
276,541 13,983 21,368
Alleybux
Pics or nah? The image is coming to mind is some Egyptian linen wrap type sh!t. :laugh:

Edit: Nvm. Just read the last part. That body would look too ripe. :sidefrown:

Chere

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
73,936 1,567 687
Alleybux
Some kids are just too nosy for their own good. :sick:

Cool story though. Glad the body was found so maybe he can have a proper burial.

JerzyD

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
442 7 5
Alleybux
I wonder how the child will deal with this in the future. I get the feeling that this kid thought it was cool that he discovered a corspe

pettysilksheets

All I gotta do is stay black and die.
Reaction score
Reactions
81,825 1,677 946
Alleybux
Cant believe there would still be a smell after all these years. Ack! blech! If I was that childs mother, I'd ground his bum for being so dang nosey! He is so lucky that all he found was a body and not his last hour on earth.

Babygirl.

Bigboned Redbone
Reaction score
Reactions
8,611 77 3
Alleybux
To die and not be missed. That's sad. :rose:

This right here. The devil is a lie that I would live a life where not one friend or family member wouldn't send out whole search parties for me if I went missing. :disapointed:

Sucka Free

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
9,737 141 17
Alleybux
So the little boy breaks into an abandoned house, finds the body, runs and tells mom, and her first thought is to go over and investigate herself? No ma'am. If someone tells me they found a body, I'm calling the police immediately. I won't be playing Olivia Benson.

Tall Tee

You’ll understand it all better by and by
Reaction score
Reactions
25,251 595 89
Alleybux
That's what the hell his lil' azz gets, going up in a house that he has no business going in.

I hope he shat himself.