Quantcast

Bozoma St. John is Netflix's Chief Marketing Officer 6/30/20

simplereminder

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,525 1,604 403
Alleybux
And she just started a new job on Monday and surgery on Thursday?? Like WTF????
Yeah... I hope she’s okay health wise but career wise this isn’t a good look AT ALL

I mean, you just got one of the most high profile jobs in the world and all of a sudden you have an emergency health issue in your first week. Netflix is a notoriously competitive culture so this is already going to be a huge mark against her

Justa

Facsimile of God | Megan Thee Samaritan
Reaction score
Reactions
285,319 4,977 407
Alleybux
And she just started a new job on Monday and surgery on Thursday?? Like WTF????

at least she got that good health insurance!

Yeah... I hope she’s okay health wise but career wise this isn’t a good look AT ALL

I mean, you just got one of the most high profile jobs in the world and all of a sudden you have an emergency health issue in your first week. Netflix is a notoriously competitive culture so this is already going to be a huge mark against her

if it's a health thing, this shouldn't be used against her. health is unpredictable, and it's discriminatory to keep this as a mark in her record.

Justa

Facsimile of God | Megan Thee Samaritan
Reaction score
Reactions
285,319 4,977 407
Alleybux
WTF? I hope she’s okay!

I’m sure she’ll be talking about it on the webinar tomorrow, I’ll report back

i can't believe she's going through with it because she needs rest. but it seems like the show must always go on for her lol.

metroglam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,100 766 156
Alleybux
Here are my notes from the webinar:

• Set intentions: Think of what you need to receive. Be clear about what you want to put out into the universe. What do you want? Ask that you receive it
  • Think about the wholeness of yourself: What parts of you have you been lied to about. That somebody told you weren’t great. You aren’t broken and those parts aren’t bad
    • One of the hardest things is about how to decipher the lies taught to yourself from the media, even from your friends and family
    • Sometimes the things you’re taught you’re bad it look like love
    • They do it because they’re trying to protect you, but sometimes those things aren’t true
    • Sometimes the lessons and failures in the past are chains holding you down. Why not try again? Why limit?
    • You were lied to when you were told you shouldn’t do something particular or you’re bad at something
    • Action: Go back to your kindergarten self and find all of those badass things about yourself
    • There are lies that you’ve been told to yourself that you should hide away from the public
    • You cannot be great in pieces, only as your whole self. Gather up all of the experiences, successes and failures and use those as fuel to propel you forward
  • How Bozoma deals with criticism
    • There hasn’t been a job where she’s received a totally glowing review
    • Usually criticism of her passion, she cries in meetings, has impatience but she sees these as her gifts. Her ability to live urgently has been born out of real trauma
    • Using real experience to push her into the future
  • Pro and con lists are terrible
    • You usually already know what you want
    • You want to talk yourself into something you want to do or talk yourself out of something you want
    • Get used to thinking and feeling again

These are questions from the audience

Failure and what did you learn? How did you come out stronger?

• “If I haven’t failed recently it means I’m too comfortable”
  • Fail fast

What are some of your limiting beliefs? Do you still have them? How have you overcome?

• Be comfortable accepting help

How to become an exec without tens of thousands of followers? Trying to get a job in media seems hard if you don’t already have a big following

• If they’re assigning value based on numbers then they dont want you
  • Talk to “yourself” on social media. Don’t fake it, just post things you find interesting and authentic

Be authentic self in white corporate America? View it as an asset to the growth of the company? How to make them find you valuable?

• 1) I find myself valuable. I am valuable. I think I’m really really valuable and I think I’m the best marketer in the world. If people don’t see my value then I dont like them.
  • Our value is not based on other people’s assessment. If you go into a situation and they don’t want you then you shouldn’t be there and you should leave
  • When a situation isn’t allowing you to be the best and grow then you should leave
  • If you’re not valued where you are and you accept that then you dont value yourself
    • Demand excellent things for yourself

How do you market yourself to these companies to make them see you as the best candidate? When they’re looking for such specific experiences

• Market your unique experiences and skills
  • Sell that, vs convince them you have all of the stuff on the job description
  • Maybe they weren’t thinking about the job correctly
  • They dont have the right perspective on the role so let me correct them
  • Why are you uniquely qualified for the role

Thank you.

gillyweed0945

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,729 1,457 1,243
Alleybux
She seems to hop from company to company. Not necessarily a bad thing, but how much of an impact can someone make at a company within a few months to a year. In any case, she’s ascending for sure!

I am a black woman in tech and I have hopped around.

So I can say from first hand experience it's best not to judge.

These companies are white supremacist to the core and unsafe for black people especially black women.

All of the black women end up in D&I. That is by design the other departments are too hostile.

gillyweed0945

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,729 1,457 1,243
Alleybux
It doesn't even matter at this point. With her track record, she probably won't last long.

I discussed this in the Okay Africa thread. She's great at marketing herself. The only change she is great at is switching jobs:

OkayAfrica's CEO, Abiola Oke, is called out by black female employees (UPDATE: he has resigned)

I like that she hustles and I think she is a marketer.

But I don't know many black women who can last in tech companies. Myself included that's why I can't judge her.

Black women working in corporate tech don't have stability. They don't want us there.

When the optics and prime and there is a BLM issue sure but believe me they don't want us there.

mystic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
162,851 4,589 1,438
Alleybux
I am a black woman in tech and I have hopped around.

So I can say from first hand experience it's best not to judge.

These companies are white supremacist to the core and unsafe for black people especially black women.

All of the black women end up in D&I. That is by design the other departments are too hostile.

I work in tech as well and have moved around every 2.5-3 years or so - so I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. I'm just saying most significant projects have a timeline that would require more than a year or so of work to really make an impact.

At my last company, surprisingly, there was another Black woman within my department as well. She and I had very different experiences navigating the workplace. I wouldn't say there was hostility but there was definitely a lot more focus and nitpicking on what Black people do in the workplace vs others.

gillyweed0945

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,729 1,457 1,243
Alleybux
I work in tech as well and have moved around every 2.5-3 years or so - so I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. I'm just saying most significant projects have a timeline that would require more than a year or so of work to really make an impact.

At my last company, surprisingly, there was another Black woman within my department as well. She and I had very different experiences navigating the workplace. I wouldn't say there was hostility but there was definitely a lot more focus and nitpicking on what Black people do in the workplace vs others.

That's still hostility...nitpicking at what black people are doing.

I left a FAANG but managed to make a whole ass thing by working insane hours. I couldn't make it. I felt a failure for only being there for that long but it was taking a toll on my spiritual, mental and emotional health. I was working with insecure people.

They are full of sh!t though. They treated me like crap and gaslit me while the company claims they needed more black women in tech roles.

As long as you have something to show for your time I think it's good but to be honest with Boz I am not sure she has ever listed what she's achieved.

Last edited:

mystic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
162,851 4,589 1,438
Alleybux
That's still hostility...nitpicking at what black people are doing.

I left a FAANG but managed to make a whole ass thing by working insane hours. I was only there for 1.5 years. I felt a failure for only being there for that long but it was taking a toll on my spiritual, mental and emotional health. I was working with insecure people. Most people in that division are white and they legitimately put my life in danger.

They are full of sh!t though. They treated me like crap and gaslit me while the company claims they needed more black women in tech roles.

As long as you have something to show for your time I think it's good but to be honest with Boz I am not sure she has ever listed what she's achieved.

I see what you mean. I guess it didn't feel hostile but more so annoying. I tend to tune people out anyway so it can take a lot to really get under my skin. My colleague really went through it. But she was one of those people who fights every battle - so when something significant would happen they would just chalk it up to her being combative as usual.

They did try to play a game to get us to turn on each other. I didn't play into it because I knew what was going on so when they would ask questions I always made sure not to talk down about her or when negative comments were made I tried to speak to her perspective to back her up. So much so that our department head made a comment to me during a developmental exercise that she thought loyalty was something I value and it came up on a review that they wanted me to challenge my peers more when they're wrong. I knew they were talking about her. On the flip side - she seemed to enjoy when I had difficulties come up and even laughed on one occasion. I didn't fault her though. I recognized that she felt she had something to prove to these people and I didn't. And to some degree i think she envied the fact that I could navigate the culture a lot better but it's only because I chose to pick my battles. So when I did call something out, they were more willing to listen and that made her feel like there was favoritism. I tried talking her off the ledge in a few instances where she blew up and I thought she handled herself wrong. But she's very passionate and emotional so it's hard for her to contain herself. I'm more of a stoic person and I strategize. Overall we're still cool and generally respect each other. Despite the fact that she tried to throw me under the bus, I understand it was because they set us up to be competitors and she fell for it, so I didn't take it personally, but it was still disappointing and taught me that the number one person to look out for is myself because there isn't always solidarity with other Black folks.

MsKnoDaTea

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,059 122 19
Alleybux
Here are my notes from the webinar:

• Set intentions: Think of what you need to receive. Be clear about what you want to put out into the universe. What do you want? Ask that you receive it
  • Think about the wholeness of yourself: What parts of you have you been lied to about. That somebody told you weren’t great. You aren’t broken and those parts aren’t bad
    • One of the hardest things is about how to decipher the lies taught to yourself from the media, even from your friends and family
    • Sometimes the things you’re taught you’re bad it look like love
    • They do it because they’re trying to protect you, but sometimes those things aren’t true
    • Sometimes the lessons and failures in the past are chains holding you down. Why not try again? Why limit?
    • You were lied to when you were told you shouldn’t do something particular or you’re bad at something
    • Action: Go back to your kindergarten self and find all of those badass things about yourself
    • There are lies that you’ve been told to yourself that you should hide away from the public
    • You cannot be great in pieces, only as your whole self. Gather up all of the experiences, successes and failures and use those as fuel to propel you forward
  • How Bozoma deals with criticism
    • There hasn’t been a job where she’s received a totally glowing review
    • Usually criticism of her passion, she cries in meetings, has impatience but she sees these as her gifts. Her ability to live urgently has been born out of real trauma
    • Using real experience to push her into the future
  • Pro and con lists are terrible
    • You usually already know what you want
    • You want to talk yourself into something you want to do or talk yourself out of something you want
    • Get used to thinking and feeling again

These are questions from the audience

Failure and what did you learn? How did you come out stronger?

• “If I haven’t failed recently it means I’m too comfortable”
  • Fail fast

What are some of your limiting beliefs? Do you still have them? How have you overcome?

• Be comfortable accepting help

How to become an exec without tens of thousands of followers? Trying to get a job in media seems hard if you don’t already have a big following

• If they’re assigning value based on numbers then they dont want you
  • Talk to “yourself” on social media. Don’t fake it, just post things you find interesting and authentic

Be authentic self in white corporate America? View it as an asset to the growth of the company? How to make them find you valuable?

• 1) I find myself valuable. I am valuable. I think I’m really really valuable and I think I’m the best marketer in the world. If people don’t see my value then I dont like them.
  • Our value is not based on other people’s assessment. If you go into a situation and they don’t want you then you shouldn’t be there and you should leave
  • When a situation isn’t allowing you to be the best and grow then you should leave
  • If you’re not valued where you are and you accept that then you dont value yourself
    • Demand excellent things for yourself

How do you market yourself to these companies to make them see you as the best candidate? When they’re looking for such specific experiences

• Market your unique experiences and skills
  • Sell that, vs convince them you have all of the stuff on the job description
  • Maybe they weren’t thinking about the job correctly
  • They dont have the right perspective on the role so let me correct them
  • Why are you uniquely qualified for the role
Thanks for posting. Definitely some gems.

Caprice4589

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
599 13 8
Alleybux
:LOL: They were just stating facts

Attachments

• 1E75400A-6564-4A8E-9845-81B7859C4DD9.jpeg
    1E75400A-6564-4A8E-9845-81B7859C4DD9.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 131

Nnenaya

Writer.Conservative.Adventure Capitalist.
Reaction score
Reactions
4,353 686 676
Alleybux
I guess. She doesn't last with these companies for no more than a year. She doesn't stay long enough to make an impact & it's clear they only hire her for woke points and PR. It's cringy to announce her name for any position at this point.
You called it! She was fired today by text. SAVAGE!

minidasha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
85,896 3,156 435
Alleybux

StoneCold

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,179 2,146 2,691
Alleybux
no, she wasnt...

Execs were fired who were complaining about things including her. kinda weird....

I read this story and remembered this thread. For them to fire 3 staffers, over the initial objections of one of the execs they criticized, means it was something serious. I’m not buying they did it because Netflix culture demands you critique people to their face.

She maybe over head though. My guess is that’s what the criticism directed to her is about.

gillyweed0945

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,729 1,457 1,243
Alleybux
I read this story and remembered this thread. For them to fire 3 staffers, over the initial objections of one of the execs they criticized, means it was something serious. I’m not buying they did it because Netflix culture demands you critique people to their face.

She maybe over head though. My guess is that’s what the criticism directed to her is about.
The problem is (#1) her wigs look raggedy (#2) she is willing to pimp out her identity to the highest bidder after they have abused other black women. I would have said that to her face and left.

Personally I don't like her being the face of black woman in tech. She is everything wrong with tech. Why are black women only VPs of Diversity?

Reaction score
Reactions
4,236 95 16
Alleybux
She is not a VP of diversity. I believe she is a VP of Marketing. I just don't know what her impact is or has been in the different orgs: Uber, Endeavor, etc

gillyweed0945

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,729 1,457 1,243
Alleybux
She is not a VP of diversity. I believe she is a VP of Marketing. I just don't know what her impact is or has been in the different orgs: Uber, Endeavor, etc
It's as a token. A cover-up.
So she is a VP Diversity in action. But yes, she has always been a "marketing" exec.

petiteprincesse

Yung Naomi
Reaction score
Reactions
52,672 1,583 686
Alleybux
Like I cannot cite one of her achievements outside of bringing Beyoncé in to Pepsi. And that was eons ago. I do feel she is a diversity token that companies bring in to say « see we have black women senior exec that aren’t D&I», increasing both the % of women and POC in senior leadership. But I am not sure she is actually fit for the jobs she gets which is why she almost always lasts <2 years. The black women senior execs that are actually any good like the SVP at Amazon or Melody H. usually last years at their companies.
I just want to have her networking skills, because they must be on point!

lady_tee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,842 1,273 67
Alleybux
Like I cannot cite one of her achievements outside of bringing Beyoncé in to Pepsi. And that was eons ago. I do feel she is a diversity token that companies bring in to say « see we have black women senior exec that aren’t D&I», increasing both the % of women and POC in senior leadership. But I am not sure she is actually fit for the jobs she gets which is why she almost always lasts <2 years. The black women senior execs that are actually any good like the SVP at Amazon or Melody H. usually last years at their companies.

What's Melody H full name and the SVP at Amazon please?

StoneCold

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,179 2,146 2,691
Alleybux
She definitely was brought on Uber for diversity. She came after the Travis fiasco and was friends with Ariana Huffington, a board member, who brought her on board.

shedaone

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,895 931 883
Alleybux
I just completed her Badazz Bootcamp workshop, I wish I would have looked up this post prior to purchasing. It wasnt worth paying for, should have been free on YouTube. It was pre-recorded 45 minute videos released each day over 6 days with quirky exercises like write down your strengths. Sigh….. I really admire her and I still do but hate when I waste money.

lady_tee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,842 1,273 67
Alleybux
I just completed her Badazz Bootcamp workshop, I wish I would have looked up this post prior to purchasing. It wasnt worth paying for, should have been free on YouTube. It was pre-recorded 45 minute videos released each day over 6 days with quirky exercises like write down your strengths. Sigh….. I really admire her and I still do but hate when I waste money.

That's a shame!!

JupiterMoon

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
339 10 3
Alleybux
The Bozoma Badazz era at Netflix is over

Netflix Marketing Chief Bozoma Saint John to Exit

"Netflix’s Bozoma Saint John is set to leave the streaming company after a nearly two-year tenure as its chief marketing officer. She will be succeeded by Marian Lee, who most recently served as the vp marketing for the U.S./Canada region."

Krafty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,056 7,014 9,249
Alleybux
The Bozoma Badazz era at Netflix is over

"Netflix’s Bozoma Saint John is set to leave the streaming company after a nearly two-year tenure as its chief marketing officer. She will be succeeded by Marian Lee, who most recently served as the vp marketing for the U.S./Canada region."

What did she accomplish?

Reaction score
Reactions
4,236 95 16
Alleybux
Good question! She always moving but you don't hear about the accomplishments. I like that she is getting her coins.

JupiterMoon

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
339 10 3
Alleybux
What did she accomplish?
Absolutely nothing going by the carefully worded press releases when she leaves a company. There's always talk about her ability to elevate the profile of the company due to her notoriety in entertainment circles but never about tangible accomplishments with statistics or goals met. As some have pointed out, Netflix is high on measurable results and actual work, not her strong point. That Netflix statement on her exit was written by a PR genius.

LalaSharp

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
283,695 13,177 1,668
Alleybux
CMO at Netflix. 2020-2022
CMO at Endeavor (includes post N-word Papa Johns work)
Chief brand officer (CBO) at Uber until June 2018.
Apple Music until June 2017, after joining the company in its acquisition of Beats Music.

That's a lot of moves in 5 years. Has all of her work been with companies at their racism/xesual harassment scandal crisis points?

Seider

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,315 3,091 3,749
Alleybux
That's almost the low-key point of this thread lol. She has been at 4 companies in 5 years and no one knows what she's executed at them.
She shows up and fulfills a quota. A professional place sitter. She plays defense for white supremacists. She has tolerance for the kind of work the average Black American would balk at doing.

Ambitiousbeau

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
130,045 4,058 1,678
Alleybux
She shows up and fulfills a quota. A professional place sitter. She plays defense for white supremacists. She has tolerance for the kind of work the average Black American would balk at doing.
And it's a little work for the company to promote because she's going to automatically do it for them.

StoneCold

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,179 2,146 2,691
Alleybux
Her claim to fame is she helped bring Beyoncé to Pepsi back in the aughts. From there it’s just networking and leveraging being one of the few black women in Silicon Valley.

StoneCold

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,179 2,146 2,691
Alleybux