Quantcast

Brazilian Blow Out and Curl Pattern?

Resipop

I Love LSA just not Fools
Reaction score
Reactions
220,277 8,760 2,212
Alleybux
I am interested in getting my daughter’s hair straightened. She’s had a silk press done twice. She normally wears her hair in braids or in a curly puff. Do Brazilian Blow Outs affect the curl pattern? What’s your experience?

Jamsand

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,575 576 165
Alleybux
I'd avoid any straightening method that includes chemicals. The beautician should be able to straighten her hair with just a round brush, blow dryer & flat iron

Mrs Puff

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,801 197 95
Alleybux
I've had a Brazilian blow out twice. Because the process fuses keratin to the hair strands, it's supposed to actually strengthen the hair, unlike relaxers which essentially melt the hair to take some of the curl out and in my experience has left my hair extremely damaged. Once I started washing out the brazilian blow out, my curls were looser and more manageable. But eventually over time my curl pattern returned to its normal more tightly curled pattern.

Resipop

Reaction score
Reactions
220,277 8,760 2,212
Alleybux
I've had a Brazilian blow out twice. Because the process fuses keratin to the hair strands, it's supposed to actually strengthen the hair, unlike relaxers which essentially melt the hair to take some of the curl out and in my experience has left my hair extremely damaged. Once I started washing out the brazilian blow out, my curls were looser and more manageable. But eventually over time my curl pattern returned to its normal more tightly curled pattern.

Interesting. She’s almost 12 and is constantly trying to do her own hair. I’d like it to be straight longer so she can manage it. But I don’t want any long term damage. I wouldn’t mind her curl pattern being looser for some time as her hair gets extremely tangled.

Resipop

Reaction score
Reactions
220,277 8,760 2,212
Alleybux
I'd avoid any straightening method that includes chemicals. The beautician should be able to straighten her hair with just a round brush, blow dryer & flat iron

Her hair definitely got straight the two times she had it done. I’m only considering more because I’d like it to last longer. But I’m going to hold off for fear of permanent damage.

waldorf888

...Chile anyways.
Reaction score
Reactions
14,646 648 375
Alleybux
I would definitely skip the brazilian blowout and just take her to a stylist that knows how to do a good silk press. I HATE Brazilian blowouts lol, they cause so much unnecessary damage. Brazilian blowouts use way too much heat from the blowdryer to get the hair straight, and it's almost never as straight as you would get it from a silk press. Also most Brazilian blowout stylists use the round brush technique and, depending on the type of round brush used, the metal barrel of the brush holds extra heat from the blowdryer and it starts to literally fry the hair. And don't even get me started on how much tension from pulling the round brush puts on the hair.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, Brazilian blowouts are a recipe for disaster no matter how good the stylist is lol.

With a good silk press, your daughter's hair will only be blown out and pressed with the flat iron/marcels once if the stylist knows what they're doing.

Resipop

Reaction score
Reactions
220,277 8,760 2,212
Alleybux
I would definitely skip the brazilian blowout and just take her to a stylist that knows how to do a good silk press. I HATE Brazilian blowouts lol, they cause so much unnecessary damage. Brazilian blowouts use way too much heat from the blowdryer to get the hair straight, and it's almost never as straight as you would get it from a silk press. Also most Brazilian blowout stylists use the round brush technique and, depending on the type of round brush used, the metal barrel of the brush holds extra heat from the blowdryer and it starts to literally fry the hair. And don't even get me started on how much tension from pulling the round brush puts on the hair.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, Brazilian blowouts are a recipe for disaster no matter how good the stylist is lol.

With a good silk press, your daughter's hair will only be blown out and pressed with the flat iron/marcels once if the stylist knows what they're doing.

Thank you. This is super helpful.

TGSHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,126 2,641 2,419
Alleybux
No! Do your research and find a good natural hairstylist that will straighten it with no damage. I hate for her to get it damaged and she has to cut it. Just heartbreaking.

CharlieCheez

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,281 49 7
Alleybux
I love Brazilian Blowouts but I'd be scared to get one for a child, just because of the strong chemicals involved. As an adult I get them about twice a year and have always loved the results, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit the fumes concern me. I think they are more a danger to the stylist, because they do them on a regular basis, but I'd be nervous for a kid. I'm definitely no expert thought!

Resipop

Reaction score
Reactions
220,277 8,760 2,212
Alleybux
No! Do your research and find a good natural hairstylist that will straighten it with no damage. I hate for her to get it damaged and she has to cut it. Just heartbreaking.

We have a great stylist. She’s had a silk press twice without damage. I was just trying to find a way for it to remain straight for a longer period of time.

TGSHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,126 2,641 2,419
Alleybux
We have a great stylist. She’s had a silk press twice without damage. I was just trying to find a way for it to remain straight for a longer period of time.
Do you live where there is lots of humidity? Does she wrap her hair at night?
Maybe some YouTube videos could help

Resipop

Reaction score
Reactions
220,277 8,760 2,212
Alleybux
Do you live where there is lots of humidity? Does she wrap her hair at night?
Maybe some YouTube videos could help

She has so much hair. It’s super thick. I have to practice wrapping it because I think that’s the issue. We could probably get it to last longer that ways. I just have her wear her silk bonnet.

Mrs Puff

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,801 197 95
Alleybux
I love Brazilian Blowouts but I'd be scared to get one for a child, just because of the strong chemicals involved. As an adult I get them about twice a year and have always loved the results, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit the fumes concern me. I think they are more a danger to the stylist, because they do them on a regular basis, but I'd be nervous for a kid. I'm definitely no expert thought!
This is a really good point that I didn't consider. The fumes are terrible, even with a mask, and that's something that should be considered for anyone going to get one, but especially for a child.

twistedsista

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
321,943 6,400 2,710
Alleybux
I've seen too much smoke coming from the hair during those blowouts. Seems like a recipe for heat damage. I wouldn't recommend it.

BlowingSoul

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,437 3,070 493
Alleybux
Brazilian blowouts use formaldehyde to straighten the hair. It's a known carcinogen. I wouldn't use it on my child.

GoldenAyo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,431 192 50
Alleybux
I have had two thus far. I got it because it was recommended by family who live down south in a humid area. Honestly, I was just being too lazy to wrap my hair at night and did not like having to re-straighten/ heat style my hair everyday. The hair straightening process is significantly easier and with "sleeker" results that lasted longer. My curls were still present but with less frizz and a weird? looser curl pattern for the first couple of weeks. The overall straightening effects lasted for around 3-5 months or so and my natural pattern has returned, except for one small area at the front of my hair which is still looser than the rest. I do not know if I can blame that on the blow out or from me curling my hair with heat everyday (crazy dumb move on my part).

There were other "benefits" for me. But I do not get them anymore (mostly due to COVID) and just embrace the frizz.

SapphireRuby

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
679 12 1
Alleybux
I had a Cezanne treatment (non formaldehyde protein treatment) and it went great. I didn't get another one, because I didn't feel the need to. But my hair was in fine condition during and after.

You just need do make sure you go to a proper stylist that knows what they are doing and can tailor the treatment to your hair type.

BlowingSoul

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,437 3,070 493
Alleybux
I had a Cezanne treatment (non formaldehyde protein treatment) and it went great. I didn't get another one, because I didn't feel the need to. But my hair was in fine condition during and after.

You just need do make sure you go to a proper stylist that knows what they are doing and can tailor the treatment to your hair type.
That product looks interesting. What was the result on you hair aside from good condition?

SapphireRuby

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
679 12 1
Alleybux
That product looks interesting. What was the result on you hair aside from good condition?
Curls were super defined out of the shower (no stupid frizzy roots with wash n gos) I'm honing my wng technique though.

Helped with breakage because of the keratin coating on the hair strand.

Hair dried a lot quicker.

Eventually the coating has come off 6-8 months later.

Relaunch91

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,363 4,175 1,750
Alleybux

Brazilian blowouts are referring to chemicals. Its a treatment that’s used not necessarily about technique.

ReinaDuNord

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,554 729 313
Alleybux
Interesting. She’s almost 12 and is constantly trying to do her own hair. I’d like it to be straight longer so she can manage it. But I don’t want any long term damage. I wouldn’t mind her curl pattern being looser for some time as her hair gets extremely tangled.
Don’t do it.
This age is why so many end up confused about their hair. Pre teens tend to do too much. Her hair still needs low manipulation and frequent washing. Take back her hair care mom! At 12, what sorts of styles is she trying to do?!