Quantcast

Buying a smaller house?

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
My husband and I are childfree and we have a cat. As fonts are aware, we are purchasing a home.

Though I like the idea of living in a large house, my husband and I do not see the need for it. We aren't having kids and as long as we have 3 bedrooms and at least 1.5 bathrooms, we will have more than enough space to live in.

A larger house means higher utility bills, especially since we are moving to an area where winter lasts about 7 months. Though my husband and I can afford a large home in the area we are moving to, we don't want to pour all of our extra income into a house. We still want to be able to save and enjoy activities. I have seen too many young people buy huge houses but not have enough money for furniture or even new clothes. My husband and I are not about that house poor life. Nah sah.

At the same time, we don't want a tiny house either. We have seen some very small houses with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. Those houses would be very hard to sell and feel too cramped for my husband and I.

What do you think? Should we buy more house than we need? Why or why not?

Liz Gregory

Mrs. Reverend Doctor Reuben Gregory
Reaction score
Reactions
255,628 8,110 17,723
Alleybux
I'm pretty sure there are medium-sized houses that you all can look into.

peppercorn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
74,579 1,966 138
Alleybux
I think if 3 bedrooms/1.5 baths is what you want, then you should settle for nothing less. This is a huge investment and you need to be happy with what you are buying. Don't want to sign on the dotted line and after 3 months of living there realize that you REALLY needed that 3rd bedroom or whatever.

Personally, I'd be fine with the two bedroom/1.5 baths. As long as I have a spare bedroom for guests (which I rarely have as I don't like to play hotel for people no matter how much I love them), then I'm good, but I know some people love space. The way I look at it is the more space I have the more I have to clean. Even when it's used minimally it has to be cleaned, and I'd be paying for something I rarely use. I prefer spacious rooms as opposed to an extra room or two that I won't use.

With a home purchase you simply have to follow your heart, and in the end the only opinion that will truly matter is yours as you're the one who will be living there. Good luck to you. Purchasing a home is always both an exciting and stressful time.

TiTi

Research Junkie
Reaction score
Reactions
2,170 158 39
Alleybux
you should never buy more house (or anything) than you need

ArrowofTruth

Illustrious Illustrator
Reaction score
Reactions
9,362 108 30
Alleybux
3 seems fine to me. Not sure if I want kids but I still want at least 3 bedrooms. one for sleeping. one for studio/cat space and one for storage. Not tryna have no guests staying at my house lol because then they'll never leave. happened to grandma smh

Momi Dearest

Excuses do not excuse...
Reaction score
Reactions
35,633 891 212
Alleybux
It sounds like the 3br and 1.5ba space is big enough that you and your husband don't feel cramped. I definitely agree that resale should also be a factor in your thought process.

Gull

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,442 9,785 12,319
Alleybux
when making a huge investment such as buying a house, a number of things need to considered..

affordability, location, resale value/speed, operating costs, and comfort..

size fits in on comfort, operating costs, and resale value/speed
sometimes going too small or too large limits your resale value or speed for sale when you do try to unload the house...

my view on affordability has always been my income is still on the rise so whats marginally affordable for me today wouldn't be an issue next year or a few years from now so stretching to get the house i wanted wasn't a major concern...

my main focus has always been location and not buying a defected house even in the location i wanted...
i was never that worried about stuff that could be easily changed like finishes and paint color, etc......
wouldn't buy near power lines, on or near busy streets, high crime areas, small rooms, near renters, bad school districts regardless of having or not having kids, also try and stay away from wells if i can...

in terms of size...at least two and three bedrooms with multiple bathrooms sell better and faster than one bed, one bath places...etc...

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
you should never buy more house (or anything) than you need

I agree. It is just weird how so many people buy way more than they need.
I wonder why they would bother. Are they trying to impress others?

Gull

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,442 9,785 12,319
Alleybux
again, it could be better resale....and more comfort especially for family and friends...

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
when making a huge investment such as buying a house, a number of things need to considered..

affordability, location, resale value/speed, operating costs, and comfort..

size fits in on comfort, operating costs, and resale value/speed
sometimes going too small or too large limits your resale value or speed for sale when you do try to unload the house...

my view on affordability has always been my income is still on the rise so whats marginally affordable for me today wouldn't be an issue next year or a few years from now so stretching to get the house i wanted wasn't a major concern...

my main focus has always been location and not buying a defected house even in the location i wanted...
i was never that worried about stuff that could be easily changed like finishes and paint color, etc......
wouldn't buy near power lines, on or near busy streets, high crime areas, small rooms, near renters, bad school districts regardless of having or not having kids, also try and stay away from wells if i can...

in terms of size...at least two and three bedrooms with multiple bathrooms sell better and faster than one bed, one bath places...etc...

We would rather not stretch as we believe in living below our means.

My husband and I have noticed that the 1 bathroom homes are very cheap but I don't want just 1 bathroom. Even a powder room makes a huge difference. My husband is fine with 1 bathroom but he is willing to compromise on that issue with me.

TiTi

Research Junkie
Reaction score
Reactions
2,170 158 39
Alleybux

or they may not know any better

like college, many or told to buy buy and nothing else (for college it would be get a degree and nothing else)

people made some good points in this thread

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
Yes. Because some of those activities you may want to enjoy will be at your house! With guests!

When I mention "activities", I mean dates, shopping, sports and romantic getaways. We have no interest in giving those up just so that we can have a larger house.

We don't plan on entertaining too often; maybe just a 2-3 times a year.

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
3 seems fine to me. Not sure if I want kids but I still want at least 3 bedrooms. one for sleeping. one for studio/cat space and one for storage. Not tryna have no guests staying at my house lol because then they'll never leave. happened to grandma smh

The second bedroom would be a guest room and the third would be an office/library.

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
...thereby proving my point.

Entertaining 2-3 times a year is not often enough to buy a larger house than we need.

My husband and I want to take up skiing. That is not a cheap sport. I also want to try horseback riding which is also an expensive pursuit. We want to embrace the countryside as much as we can.

Gull

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,442 9,785 12,319
Alleybux
We would rather not stretch as we believe in living below our means.

My husband and I have noticed that the 1 bathroom homes are very cheap but I don't want just 1 bathroom. Even a powder room makes a huge difference. My husband is fine with 1 bathroom but he is willing to compromise on that issue with me.
as i tried to say above, it wouldn't be living above my means because my income grows every year...

Gull

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,442 9,785 12,319
Alleybux
bottom line...buy what and where you want or feel comfortable...in the end, you will be the one to live there and deal with the positives and or negatives...i am on my 6th house through the years....i have moved a lot due to my career...

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
as i tried to say above, it wouldn't be living above my means because my income grows every year...

Just because your income grows every year, it doesn't mean that spending the extra income on a bigger house is always the best choice. Our income grows every year as well but we would not spend it on a bigger house that we don't need.

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
bottom line...buy what and where you want or feel comfortable...in the end, you will be the one to live there and deal with the positives and or negatives...i am on my 6th house through the years....i have moved a lot due to my career...

Wow, that's a lot of moving.

My husband and I hate to move and we hope this is our last one.

If my husband finds a better opportunity in another province or city, we will have to move for that reason.

peppercorn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
74,579 1,966 138
Alleybux
Entertaining 2-3 times a year is not often enough to buy a larger house than we need.

My husband and I want to take up skiing. That is not a cheap sport. I also want to try horseback riding which is also an expensive pursuit. We want to embrace the countryside as much as we can.

So if what you are saying is that yes, you can afford your dream home but only if you give up these extras then you have answered your own question. It's not worth it to have the home without the things in life you really want to enjoy especially if you are not making this as a future investment for your children.

Finding a two bedroom might be more suitable, and finding one with 1.5 baths is something that you can put on your "must have" list. That third guest room, especially since you say you rarely entertain and if you won't be having extended stay guests often, is a simple luxury. What I have learned is when people discover you have that spare bedroom they are always sniffing around for an invitation to stay, so sometimes it's more a curse than a blessing.

Gull

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,442 9,785 12,319
Alleybux
Just because your income grows every year, it doesn't mean that spending the extra income on a bigger house is always the best choice. Our income grows every year as well but we would not spend it on a bigger house that we don't need.
first, i never said "always"..your word not mine...

all is said was since my "means" increases every year by a decent amount, what was at my "means"one year would be below my means the next....

Gull

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,442 9,785 12,319
Alleybux
Wow, that's a lot of moving.

My husband and I hate to move and we hope this is our last one.

If my husband finds a better opportunity in another province or city, we will have to move for that reason.
the price for career advancement at an acceptable rate for me...

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
So if what you are saying is that yes, you can afford your dream home but only if you give up these extras then you have answered your own question. It's not worth it to have the home without the things in life you really want to enjoy especially if you are not making this as a future investment for your children.

Finding a two bedroom might be more suitable, and finding one with 1.5 baths is something that you can put on your "must have" list. That third guest room, especially since you say you rarely entertain and if you won't be having extended stay guests often, is a simple luxury. What I have learned is when people discover you have that spare bedroom they are always sniffing around for an invitation to stay, so sometimes it's more a curse than a blessing.

Just because I am not making a future investment for my children, it doesn't mean that having a extra space isn't worth it to me. I don't know why people assume that only people with children should invest in the homes they want.

Buying a two bedroom house is foolish because it will be very hard to sell. It will also be worth far less than a house with three bedrooms. We live in a two bedroom apartment now so it wouldn't make sense to buy a home without upgrading a little bit. Also, my husband will be working from home at times as well as starting a business so an office is necessary.

I agree that people will sniff around if you have extra space. That has already happened in this apartment. I'm not worried about that problem when we move because nobody is going to want to drive an hour north or take an even longer bus ride. The copious snow is a great freeloader deterrent. :laugh 512x512:

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
first, i never said "always"..your word not mine...

all is said was since my "means" increases every year by a decent amount, what was at my "means"one year would be below my means the next....

This is true for most people with professional positions.
We all spend our income on what we believe is important.

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
the price for career advancement at an acceptable rate for me...

My husband and I think the same way if the salary offer is high enough.
We may hate to move but we aren't going to pass up a good opportunity because of that.

NZURI

Delete Account
Reaction score
Reactions
257,693 8,171 8,001
Alleybux
I like effecient spaces, but with a family, I'd just make sure it has a comfortable living area (living/family/dining room and kitchen). I could live with closet-size rooms so long as the living area is spacious, since that's where I spend most of my time and imagine my family will, too.

I think 3 bedrooms is enough for 0-2 kids, but I'd try to get 4 or at least a place with a separate office space, so I can work from home. I couldn't do one full bath unless that bath has a tub plus a separate shower. I think for resale purposes, it's better to have at least 2 full baths.

I couldn't live in a small house though longterm. Right now I have 1400 sqft to myself, with 2 bedrooms I never use, but the living space is only enough for me. I'd prefer at least twice the space with kids.

Pearl Shay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,316 3,565 714
Alleybux
Do what's best for your peace of mind and financial security. At the same time, you can't upgrade space unless you have the desire and land to build on (finite sq. feet), so if you truly need something bigger in the next 6 years or so, it would probably be better to do it now and just do things to mitigate the utility situation (keep vents shuts in other rooms, alternative heating, turning stuff off when you're not there)

SnipYoFlap

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,112 1,803 1,187
Alleybux
OP, Imma need you to shoot for 2 FULL Bathrooms. That half ish wont do for me. when i come to visit, i do not want to use your personal bathroom to shower in. I see imma have to throw a few alleybux on this purchase of our new house because we gotta get this right!

LoL jk

but for real, are you sure you don't want two full baths? I think you would like it.

peppercorn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
74,579 1,966 138
Alleybux
Just because I am not making a future investment for my children, it doesn't mean that having a extra space isn't worth it to me. I don't know why people assume that only people with children should invest in the homes they want.

Buying a two bedroom house is foolish because it will be very hard to sell. It will also be worth far less than a house with three bedrooms. We live in a two bedroom apartment now so it wouldn't make sense to buy a home without upgrading a little bit. Also, my husband will be working from home at times as well as starting a business so an office is necessary.

I agree that people will sniff around if you have extra space. That has already happened in this apartment. I'm not worried about that problem when we move because nobody is going to want to drive an hour north or take an even longer bus ride. The copious snow is a great freeloader deterrent. :laugh 512x512:

That's not what I said, considering my first response was to go with your heart and you should get what YOU want. What I said was that if it meant giving up the extras that you and your husband are looking forward to, and if you don't have the added incentive of this property serving as a dual purpose for a future generation investment/living space, then you have the answer you are seeking already. Go with what will allow you to continue to live comfortably.

I can't speak for the area you are in, but for most areas that are not rural a two bedroom will not always be hard to move. There will always be people seeking to purchase their first home where money is a factor and a nice two bedroom will be all they can afford. We are no longer living in the times where they would allow you to get a mortgage on a home that you truly could never afford. Lenders these days are only lending what they believe they can reasonably get back, and so people may want 3-4 bedrooms, but their jobs and bank account will only get them a mortgage for a nice 2 bedroom, and so there will always be a market for a sound, spacious two bedroom home.

LaVieEhBelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,413 2,996 1,243
Alleybux
You are totally right!

Also if you pick a house in a good neighborhood, your property value will increase. As your property value increases so do the property taxes. At least it works that way where I live. My homeowner's insurance also increases yearly. I switch to a new insurance company every few years to offset that since you get good deals as new customer. So some of that yearly increase in income will need to spent on those additional expenses.

I bought my home when it was just a year old. I've lived in it for 14 years now. I'm starting to have to make major repairs. Last year, I needed to have my roof, gutters, and a couple of windows replaced. That was almost $15,000. I don't buy the cheapest anything because I plan on being in my house for many more years, so it could have been done for less money. This year I'm hoping to replace my water heater and more windows. Next year my deck will be replaced and I'll have my house repainted on the outside.

More space is nice, but lots of people don't take into account the things wear out or unexpectedly break down. If you're stretched financially, that investment of yours could take a hit if you can't keep it looking reasonably nice.

You're right not to want to stretch your budget to the max by buying more space than you need. Make sure you have a really good cushion. Owning a home is way more work and money than most people anticipate.

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
I like effecient spaces, but with a family, I'd just make sure it has a comfortable living area (living/family/dining room and kitchen). I could live with closet-size rooms so long as the living area is spacious, since that's where I spend most of my time and imagine my family will, too.

I think 3 bedrooms is enough for 0-2 kids, but I'd try to get 4 or at least a place with a separate office space, so I can work from home. I couldn't do one full bath unless that bath has a tub plus a separate shower. I think for resale purposes, it's better to have at least 2 full baths.

I couldn't live in a small house though longterm. Right now I have 1400 sqft to myself, with 2 bedrooms I never use, but the living space is only enough for me. I'd prefer at least twice the space with kids.

More bathrooms is always better for resale value. However, even a house with a powder room is much more likely to be sold than a house with a single bathroom.

Kids come with so many items so it is always better to have more space, especially if you have more than one child and you want your kids to have their own bedrooms.

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
That's not what I said, considering my first response was to go with your heart and you should get what YOU want. What I said was that if it meant giving up the extras that you and your husband are looking forward to, and if you don't have the added incentive of this property serving as a dual purpose for a future generation investment/living space, then you have the answer you are seeking already. Go with what will allow you to continue to live comfortably.

I can't speak for the area you are in, but for most areas that are not rural a two bedroom will not always be hard to move. There will always be people seeking to purchase their first home where money is a factor and a nice two bedroom will be all they can afford. We are no longer living in the times where they would allow you to get a mortgage on a home that you truly could never afford. Lenders these days are only lending what they believe they can reasonably get back, and so people may want 3-4 bedrooms, but their jobs and bank account will only get them a mortgage for a nice 2 bedroom, and so there will always be a market for a sound, spacious two bedroom home.

The only 2 bedrooms houses that sell quickly in my province are cottages. The average home is 3 bds and 2 baths. Most people who buy houses either have children or plan to have them later, so 2 bedrooms just isn't enough space and they budget accordingly for larger homes.

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
OP, Imma need you to shoot for 2 FULL Bathrooms. That half ish wont do for me. when i come to visit, i do not want to use your personal bathroom to shower in. I see imma have to throw a few alleybux on this purchase of our new house because we gotta get this right!

LoL jk

but for real, are you sure you don't want two full baths? I think you would like it.

DON'T KILL ME DEAD!! :laugh 512x512: If people took alleybux, I could buy an 8 bedroom mansion and have you and other fonts I like coming to live with us. I am LSA rich.

On a serious note, I wouldn't like having two full bathrooms to clean. I am very meticulous about cleanliness and I think another full bathroom would be a pain in the ass. I would also have to buy two extra sets of mats, towels and shower curtain for the second bathroom since I change those seasonally. It's crazy how two full baths raises the cost of a home. With all this being said, if we find a 2 bathroom house in our price range and the historical utility bills are not too high, we just might buy that house.

My husband talks about one bathroom being enough but I am not about that life if we are moving into our own home. When one of us needs to use the toilet and the other needs to brush his/her teeth, that is when sh!t gets real when there is only one bathroom. Never again.

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
You are totally right!

Also if you pick a house in a good neighborhood, your property value will increase. As your property value increases so do the property taxes. At least it works that way where I live. My homeowner's insurance also increases yearly. I switch to a new insurance company every few years to offset that since you get good deals as new customer. So some of that yearly increase in income will need to spent on those additional expenses.

I bought my home when it was just a year old. I've lived in it for 14 years now. I'm starting to have to make major repairs. Last year, I needed to have my roof, gutters, and a couple of windows replaced. That was almost $15,000. I don't buy the cheapest anything because I plan on being in my house for many more years, so it could have been done for less money. This year I'm hoping to replace my water heater and more windows. Next year my deck will be replaced and I'll have my house repainted on the outside.

More space is nice, but lots of people don't take into account the things wear out or unexpectedly break down. If you're stretched financially, that investment of yours could take a hit if you can't keep it looking reasonably nice.

You're right not to want to stretch your budget to the max by buying more space than you need. Make sure you have a really good cushion. Owning a home is way more work and money than most people anticipate.

Too many people think that being a home owner is all about paying mortgage and utilities. They do not take property taxes or unexpected costs into account.

Being stretched is no way to live. I knew this man who had a three bedroom bungalow. He was cheap so he refused to renovate and he let his two dogs tear up the basement which could have been a separate apartment. That fool tried to sell his ramshackle house and nobody would buy it, not even when he reduced the price twice. I guess nobody wanted to buy a home from someone who clearly didn't give a sh!t about his property. They didn't want to spend tens of thousands on upgrades.

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,487 4,863 254
Alleybux
Small home can make comfortable and help you saves more money in the long run. They have plenty of small houses are a good size. A lot of people changed the ideas living in the small space. Living in the small space don't mean you can't invite guest over and enjoy the activity. If you don't mind me asking what area you are living at. I will see if I find any small homes will fit your bill.

Mrs.G

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,768 1,456 749
Alleybux
Small home can make comfortable and help you saves more money in the long run. They have plenty of small houses are a good size. A lot of people changed the ideas living in the small space. Living in the small space don't mean you can't invite guest over and enjoy the activity. If you don't mind me asking what area you are living at. I will see if I find any small homes will fit your bill.

That's so sweet of you to offer to look.

I want to protect my privacy over the internet though.

EtoileNoire

Amiable With Big Teeth | Troll Exterminator
Reaction score
Reactions
64,101 2,303 377
Alleybux
Even if you can buy more house than you need, all the costs associated will be higher, i.e. insurance, taxes, repairs, maintenance, heating, cooling, etc., etc., plus there is more to clean and more yard work. I would advise buying a small to medium sized home in the best neighbourhood you can afford and also go for 2 bathrooms rather than 1.5. This might be a bit extreme, but if you can buy a home based on the income on just one of you, that will give you freedom and security later on if one of you is laid off or wants to start a new career. Alternatively, get a larger place where you could rent the basement as an apartment. Bank the money you save for retirement, children, and hard times. Good luck!

lilcaps

Good family and friends
Reaction score
Reactions
31,608 604 108
Alleybux
I think a 3/2 will be perfect for you guys. You will even have room for family/guest.

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom