Quantcast

Can I have meal ideas for a low carb, pescatarian diet please?

Onyxprincess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,150 1,546 1,886
Alleybux
Roasted veggies and salmon. Toss cherry or grape tomatoes and sliced zucchini with olive oil, salt, garlic (shallots if you have them) and I usually have fresh thyme and/or oregano. salt the salmon and place on top, roast on 400 for 20 min or so. you can use butter too. You can squeeze lemon over everything when you're done if you want but the tomato has enough acid.

Soups are good too. Cioppino is delicious and other various fish stews. Avocado and shrimp salads. You can make these Mexican style with corn and cilantro or blacken the shimp Creole style.
I made cioppino a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t feel like scrubbing clams so I just did scallops, shrimp and cod.

ericat

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,903 265 171
Alleybux
My husband makes the best lentil salad, and it goes really well with seafood (especially salmon). In a bowl toss cooked brown lentils, chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped red onion, kalamata olives, chopped flat leaf parsley, chopped cucumber, and dress with a bit of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Lemon juice and olive oil works well as a dressing, too. And the whole thing is even better if you add some feta.

He usually makes a big batch and we eat it for a few days with different proteins.

Good luck on your diets, ladies!
This sounds really good and different.

LoLu10Plus

Laughter is the best medicine.
Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux
This sounds really good and different.
It’s delicious. It’s a salad that’s popular in the Mediterranean. I don’t eat rice often, but it’s good with rice, too. I hope you try it and enjoy it!

yes_she_did

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,812 72 14
Alleybux
I try and spice up my healthy meals by incorporating cuisines from overseas eg:

Israeli
Cauliflower salad
Falafel & salad
Yotam Otteleghi is a chef who has a book; Simple - with great recipes

Chinese
Steamed fish with ginger & garlic
Chinese greens
Cucumber salad

Brazil
Moqueca (fish stew)
Vegetarian feijoada
Chopped salad

MissShawna

Do your ghetto antics know no bounds!?
Reaction score
Reactions
228,849 6,533 2,494
Alleybux
I’d pretty much eat tuna and cucumber for brunch and pan searsed salmon, kale and cauli-mash for dinner every day.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,498 831 193
Alleybux
OP, if you are going the low-carb pescatarian route, I recommend cutting out the beans and keeping plantains and sweet potato down to a minimum. This will free up more room in your meals for dark leafy greens and vegetables.

I recommend these dishes. You can google recipes for these dishes:

- veggie stir-fry with shrimp
- roasted salmon and asparagus with herbs and lemon
- citrus and berry salad with prawns
- sautéed spicy kale, carrot, and mushroom (shitakes are the best for this)
- tuna fish salad served on butter lettuce instead of bread or crackers
- shrimp mango salsa tacos served on butter lettuce instead of corn tortillas
- veggie pizza with cauliflower crust and cashew "cheese"
- almond blueberry muffins (made with almond flour and apple sauce to sweeten)
- kale chips

Good luck to you!

You aren't the only one who recommended this. It will be hard because I love chickpeas, kidney beans etc. But it's necessary. Thank you.

And all the dishes look good. Thank you for your recommendation.

MsFraser

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,013 10,016 2,198
Alleybux
I switched to quinoa and I eat that with everything, roasted veg + protein, stir fry, on a salad or just on its own. It tastes like rice. I will eat pizza once in a while because why not, but I cut out pasta and rice completely and I used to eat those every day.

superhotfire

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,620 107 107
Alleybux
get a big fish, grill it and eat the whole thing. when i do this in the summer i only eat that for lunch and a small snack at night before bed like fruits and yogurt. feel really full all day and healthy

4ntiell

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,214 122 18
Alleybux
OP you can find thousands of meal ideas on Pinterest. I found a few recipes on there that are great!

I am pretty boring with my meals though and don't mind eating the same things.

Shrimp and Veg Quinoa bowls (I make mine resemble a poke bowl) Lentil salads, Seafood and Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice with black beans, corn salsa, and a bit of the drained Rotel tomatoes and green chiles.

I love a good feta and strawberry salad with a filet of whatever fish I'm craving.

Edit: spellcheck

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,498 831 193
Alleybux
I switched to quinoa and I eat that with everything, roasted veg + protein, stir fry, on a salad or just on its own. It tastes like rice. I will eat pizza once in a while because why not, but I cut out pasta and rice completely and I used to eat those every day.
I'm not too keen quinoa, I find that it tastes kind of soggy. I know you have to leave it for a while after you cook it, but this doesn't seem to really help. I'll try to look for some more cooking ideas with quinoa.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,498 831 193
Alleybux
get a big fish, grill it and eat the whole thing. when i do this in the summer i only eat that for lunch and a small snack at night before bed like fruits and yogurt. feel really full all day and healthy
Sounds like a good idea, but also kind of seems costly.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,498 831 193
Alleybux
OP you can find thousands of meal ideas on Pinterest. I found a few recipes on there that are great!

I am pretty boring with my meals though and don't mind eating the same things.

Shrimp and Veg Quinoa bowls (I make mine resemble a poke bowl) Lentil salads, Seafood and Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice with black beans, corn salsa, and a bit of the drained Rotel tomatoes and green chiles.

I love a good feta and strawberry salad with a filet of whatever fish I'm craving.

Edit: spellcheck
This sounds yummy. Thank you

superhotfire

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,620 107 107
Alleybux
Sounds like a good idea, but also kind of seems costly.
oops forgot to mention i have people fishing for me :LOL: but right now i do something similar with meat, eat a giant portion for lunch(i always get whatever is on sale at the butcher) and just a snack at night and i do find it waaaay more economical than when i was vegan/vegetarian. i live in Canada tho idk where you are at. plant foods are way more expensive now with ppl going plant based. man the celery used to be 2$ a stalk now its like 10$

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,859 1,064 802
Alleybux
My husband makes the best lentil salad, and it goes really well with seafood (especially salmon). In a bowl toss cooked brown lentils, chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped red onion, kalamata olives, chopped flat leaf parsley, chopped cucumber, and dress with a bit of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Lemon juice and olive oil works well as a dressing, too. And the whole thing is even better if you add some feta.

He usually makes a big batch and we eat it for a few days with different proteins.

Good luck on your diets, ladies!
I was gong to suggest something similar to this with kidney beans instead of lentils, celery and relish.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,544 122 6
Alleybux
Stuffed filet of sole with shrimp & real crabmeat served with fresh spinach or broccoli, shrimp with mushrooms & eggplant and any type of green vegetables, cajun catfish filet with spinach, baked salmon with fresh okra or spinach.
Avocado is great with fish or shellfish. I eat seafood and fresh green vegetables; rarely have chicken. Absolutely no carbs; i.e. rice, potatoes, etc. I skip breakfast, having two cups of green or oolong/black tea, then have lunch and a spinach salad with tomatoes, avocado lemon & olive oil usually for dinner. The seafood and veggies alone will fill you up.

Lexus2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,747 1,101 299
Alleybux
Quinoa stir fry with shrimp.
Baked salmon with roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts.
Home made fish tacos (low calories),
kale salad bowl with roasted carrots, roasted sweet potatoes and miso ginger dressing
Avocado quinoa bowl with avocado salsa and black beans (Similar to chipotle bowl), etc

Moodyjaz

XOTWOD
Reaction score
Reactions
14,188 697 215
Alleybux
Hop on Pinterest bby girl! When I started my pescatarian journey it helped me so much with not getting bored!

WigsbyTyler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
62,577 2,082 844
Alleybux
I've been having salmon (prepared however I choose) and a Shirazi salad its a really light and fresh salad made up of Persian cucumbers, red onion, tomato, fresh lemon juice, and olive oil. It's typically seasoned with salt and dried mint or basil. I like Himalayan sea salt on mine. I love my fresh veggies with fat (olive oil) and acid (lemon/lime juice or vinegar) if you aren't into that flavor profile then skip it.

captivagrl

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,412 11 1
Alleybux
Pour Asian saucy shrimp entrees over zucchini noodles (zoodles), or half reg noodles/half zoodles. You will cut your carbs fast and it's a very satisfying meal. Don't "cook" the zoodles just pour hot food over them and let them sit for 5-7min. I spiralize my zoodles once a week. Just put them in a zip lock w/paper towel and change the paper towel every 2 days.

Balloo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
119,731 3,540 1,102
Alleybux
I love pairing salmon with couscous. It has less carbs and more fiber than rice.

I either add pearl couscous to salads and top it with some salmon, or I make a Turkish couscous salad side with grilled veggies and salmon.

Moonbeauty11

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
273 1
Alleybux
I’ve been pescatarian for almost 3 years and I typically do low carb in the spring.

1. Download the CarbMaster app. You’ll be surprised what has carbs! It helps you keep up how many carbs you’re consuming. Can be tedious but worth it

2. Try grilled salmon over mashed cauliflower + cheese

3. Tuna salad romaine lettuce wraps

4. Alfredo + Shrimp zoodle pasta

5. Salad but substitute cheese crisps for croutons

6. Low carb snacks: sunflower seeds, pickles, enlighten ice cream

7. Pair low carb with intermittent fasting and a gallon of water a day for fast weight loss

4ntiell

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,214 122 18
Alleybux
I've been having salmon (prepared however I choose) and a Shirazi salad its a really light and fresh salad made up of Persian cucumbers, red onion, tomato, fresh lemon juice, and olive oil. It's typically seasoned with salt and dried mint or basil. I like Himalayan sea salt on mine. I love my fresh veggies with fat (olive oil) and acid (lemon/lime juice or vinegar) if you aren't into that flavor profile then skip it.
This had me scribbling in my journal so fast lol. Sounds amazing!

notiboo

Don’t @ me, I promise I won’t read it.
Reaction score
Reactions
9,075 349 260
Alleybux
Try keto websites like thin slim. They have substitutes for everything and don’t taste bad.

mollflanders

defamationismygame
OLDHEAD
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
256,854 3,330 1,461
Alleybux
I’m coming up on four years as a pescatarian but I don’t eat low carb as often as I should. Below are a few I can think of that are low carb. We probably eat as many vegetarian dishes as seafood, too. As it gets warmer, we will also have a “big salad” at least once a week, sometimes with tuna on the side.

- I make a dish where I toss grape tomatoes in EVOO, season with sea salt and cracked pepper, and roast for about 10-15 minutes in a baking pan/casserole dish. Then I add shrimp, feta, basil and a healthy squeeze of lemon and cook until the shrimp is done. I serve this over zoodles.

-Cioppino

-Seafood jambalaya with cauliflower rice

- Fish tacos with low carb spinach tortillas

-And this recipe I found online is a regular, it’s so good. I always serve it with farro rather than orzo for the nutritional benefits, but farro is high in carbs (I don’t mind it in a meal this low carb), so you could also do zoodles or cauliflower rice. I also double the amount of spinach in the recipe and serve it with broccoli or brussel sprouts to increase the veggies.

Salmon Skillet with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce

Ingredients​

• 4 6-oz. skin-on salmon fillets
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt divided
  • 3/4 tsp. black pepper divided
  • 1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes plus 2 Tbsp. oil from jar
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 4 cups packed fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • Fresh parsley for garnish
  • Cooked orzo for serving

Instructions​

• Thoroughly dry salmon fillets with a paper towel. Season flesh with 1/2 tsp. of the salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
  • Heat sun-dried tomato oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook salmon, skin-side down, until skin is crispy and easily pulls away from pan, about 5 to 6 minutes. Flip, and cook until flesh is golden, about 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
  • Reduce heat to medium and add shallots. Cook 3 minutes, until softened. Add sun-dried tomatoes and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring often. Add spinach; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until wilted. Season with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper.
  • Add wine and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until most of the alcohol has evaporated. Stir in cream, and add salmon fillets back to skillet. Spoon sauce over fish, and garnish with fresh parsley. serve over grain of choice.

Nutrition​

Serving: 1g | Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 6.5g | Sodium: 780mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g
SalmonSkillet3-320x321.jpg

source: Salmon Skillet with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,498 831 193
Alleybux
I’m coming up on four years as a pescatarian but I don’t eat low carb as often as I should. Below are a few I can think of that are low carb. We probably eat as many vegetarian dishes as seafood, too. As it gets warmer, we will also have a “big salad” at least once a week, sometimes with tuna on the side.

- I make a dish where I toss grape tomatoes in EVOO, season with sea salt and cracked pepper, and roast for about 10-15 minutes in a baking pan/casserole dish. Then I add shrimp, feta, basil and a healthy squeeze of lemon and cook until the shrimp is done. I serve this over zoodles.

-Cioppino

-Seafood jambalaya with cauliflower rice

- Fish tacos with low carb spinach tortillas

-And this recipe I found online is a regular, it’s so good. I always serve it with farro rather than orzo for the nutritional benefits, but farro is high in carbs (I don’t mind it in a meal this low carb), so you could also do zoodles or cauliflower rice. I also double the amount of spinach in the recipe and serve it with broccoli or brussel sprouts to increase the veggies.

Salmon Skillet with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce

Ingredients​

• 4 6-oz. skin-on salmon fillets
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt divided
  • 3/4 tsp. black pepper divided
  • 1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes plus 2 Tbsp. oil from jar
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 4 cups packed fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • Fresh parsley for garnish
  • Cooked orzo for serving

Instructions​

• Thoroughly dry salmon fillets with a paper towel. Season flesh with 1/2 tsp. of the salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
  • Heat sun-dried tomato oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook salmon, skin-side down, until skin is crispy and easily pulls away from pan, about 5 to 6 minutes. Flip, and cook until flesh is golden, about 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
  • Reduce heat to medium and add shallots. Cook 3 minutes, until softened. Add sun-dried tomatoes and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring often. Add spinach; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until wilted. Season with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper.
  • Add wine and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until most of the alcohol has evaporated. Stir in cream, and add salmon fillets back to skillet. Spoon sauce over fish, and garnish with fresh parsley. serve over grain of choice.

Nutrition​

Serving: 1g | Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 6.5g | Sodium: 780mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g
SalmonSkillet3-320x321.jpg

source: Salmon Skillet with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce

sounds yum. than you x

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,498 831 193
Alleybux
Lol I only said that speaking anecdotally! Starchy carbs are what make me gain weight really quickly.

Before I moved into the low carb eating pattern that I'm into now, I called myself going plant-based for about 6 months and I ended up gaining more weight than I ever have in my life.

I was so confused because everyone makes it seem like veganism/plant-based is the holy grail so I'm like "why am I eating plant based but still gaining weight?" "why am I eating 900 calories per day but still gaining weight?" and then upon further research, I realized it was because once I went plant-based I ended up eating more carbs than I usually would.

My plant-based diet was filled with rice, beans, baked potatoes, lots of bread, grains, etc. and come to find out, my body doesn't tolerate those well :(
Just a quick update. This diet really does seem to be working for me, in order to lose weight.

Everything the quoted said, is so true and I can totally relate, especially to my body not tolerating it well. Also sugar is another enemy as well.

My meals are typically

- Berries and walnuts with yogurt (no lactose, low in carbs and sugar) plus a sprinkle of chia seeds. Also with green tea and sometimes cherries served on the side

- Omlette (Had to bring eggs back in) - with onions, garlic and pepper and my special seasoning mix (not too much though

- Salmon served with A LOT of veggies (Lettuce, broccoli) and some nuts

- Shrimp/prawns with roasted veg

- Falafel salad

- I love the almond butter and fruit that somebody recommended - thank youuu

- I limit clubbing/drinking because I'm not a big drinker and normally go for high carb and sugar drinks like piña coladas, coke mixed with vodka or Malibu (extremely bad)

- I exercise in combination to this diet (walking really is one of the best and easiest to commit to exercises) as well as jogging, (If I can, swimming) and Zumba :)

I do have some carbs like potatoes, beans, rice and plantain but in moderation (A small amount and NO MORE than once a week).

Ommiting carbs really is the best thing you can do if you want to shed pounds fairly quickly. I'm just mad that it's taking me long to lose my upper arm fat. My tummy fat went very quickly, but I think it's the way I naturally store fat.

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom