Quantcast

Can New England be the new mass migration area for Black Americans

Red Sonja

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,621 10,514 8,098
Alleybux
With all the mass migration of transplants/hipsters moving from West/East Coast to the South. We are seeing an increase in cost of living in certain areas as well as gentificiation/inflitration which impacts the resident black population in certain states. We all know that where ever black people in masses, others follows nowadays within five years time. There is a lot of concern that the South will become expensive and the culture will change.

New England is an area beyond Boston that has affordable property. It is somewhat boring and lily white but it seems that it can be a peaceful area to live with smaller white population in these states. There are black folks that live in these areas but not in mass.

Is there a possibility of New England being a potential mass migration area.

New England compromises of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island

TangerYanger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,925 540 297
Alleybux
Boston is notoriously one of the most racist cities in the US (last team to integrate was the Red Sox and players like Adam Jones and Torii Hunter have commented on having clauses in their contracts not to play for Boston) and New Hampshire is basically Texas north. The only real difference is they vote Democrat.

Swan

Secular Woman
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
400,070 5,387 939
Alleybux
New England would need better PR, because aside from it being freezing cold a lot of people including myself associate it with WASPY racism.

Greenskye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,533 2,071 846
Alleybux
Probably, more the Midwest than the New England. Those states has always been immigration focused since slavery was abolished. I doubt there will be any further black migrations without reparations. Black people are tired of being used as mules in this country for everyone else.

AI Boyfriend

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
106,765 6,798 5,940
Alleybux
I'd say repopulate the Midwest again before going to NE. Southside Chicago and Detroit can still be the 2 main hubs and both cities have HELLLLLLA space for Black people to move to.

I was in Bronzeville on 43rd Street the other day and there's so much space over there, I can image how poppin it was back in the mid 1900s during it's heyday. And the mid-tier cities like Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland, etc have opportunities and space with affordable homes.

Reaction score
Reactions
6,856 274 235
Alleybux
Its too cold and Boston has the worst snow.
I've been up there on ski trips with Black Ski. Each year black skiers have an eastern regional in Maine or Vermont. I found the food surprisingly good, and the skiing is excellent. Every Thursday the schools let out so that children can ski, which serves as a gym period. If you don't ski or ice skate, there are other indoor activities. There are few black men, but many of the men there do give some attention and will date. The areas seem to be low-cost living (but high heat bill). The tech industry has jobs, and various government work is available. You would have to adjust to living with a low-numbered black population.

Selenadominates

Only here on the weekends
Reaction score
Reactions
121,078 3,174 3,052
Alleybux
No. New England is extremely racist and segregated. I’m from there and they notoriously don’t let black folks move into their neighborhoods even if they are wealthy. I live in one of the few “black” neighborhoods here and they’re already trying to gentrify it. That’s just my experience with one state though

UbuTheDog

The Good Pureblood Dog. WOOF!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
37,110 4,939 1,758
Alleybux
Boston is notoriously one of the most racist cities in the US (last team to integrate was the Red Sox and players like Adam Jones and Torii Hunter have commented on having clauses in their contracts not to play for Boston) and New Hampshire is basically Texas north. The only real difference is they vote Democrat.

Yep. Boston is the White Atlanta.

J2418love

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,677 547 135
Alleybux
I'm in Stamford CT. Not sure if that counts as New England but they better get ready.

I migrated after 39yrs in brooklyn nyc. there are more of us coming. Just got my cT state ID too.

THe hard working folks in NYC realize we can get a better life and more for our buck in the neighboring cities and states. Be racist all you want too and watch my fine Neffertti ass stomp down the street...lol

tulipssealed

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
647 16 6
Alleybux
I live here and I'm trying to go somewhere a) warmer b) Blacker c) literally anywhere else lmao

I've lived here most of my life. It's a great vacation destination for Fall and Winter activities or a nice pitstop for a great education (and then leave with the quickness) but as many race scholars have pointed out (and specifically Ericka Hart I'm thinking of now) –– you don't just put Black folks into a thing. You begin first by taking all the racism out. You remove all the barriers to their safety and success so they can be sure to thrive there first. Otherwise they're highly likely to experience violence and trauma and institutional abuse. They don't change that environment; it changes them.

Think of it like those businesses that all pledged to hire and "include" more Black folks but didn't fire (or at the very least re-train) any of their crazy racist employees or adjust their anti-Black policies on hair and dress, etc FIRST. They just be integrating Black folks into a burning house. Nah.

I'm actively trying to heal from my time living in New England, in these predominantly non-Black spaces that never sought to care for me or protect me. It can't be this racist AND this cold lmao I'm trying to pick one struggle at a time!

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,135 11,495 3,304
Alleybux
With all the mass migration of transplants/hipsters moving from West/East Coast to the South. We are seeing an increase in cost of living in certain areas as well as gentificiation/inflitration which impacts the resident black population in certain states. We all know that where ever black people in masses, others follows nowadays within five years time. There is a lot of concern that the South will become expensive and the culture will change.

New England is an area beyond Boston that has affordable property. It is somewhat boring and lily white but it seems that it can be a peaceful area to live with smaller white population in these states. There are black folks that live in these areas but not in mass.

Is there a possibility of New England being a potential mass migration area.

New England compromises of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island
No. Besides Boston and it’s neighboring cities, the rest of New England would be “boring” for the average young Black professional. Plus, many of the areas are expensive so even for a Black family, it wouldn’t be appealing. A lot of areas are being gentrified too.

Reason why a lot of Black people are moving down South is because the COL is cheaper and the South has more Black people, so I’m assuming it’s easier to socialize romantically, friendship wise. Actually, Blacks do better overall down South. I believe Blacks do the worst economically, etc on the West coast and Midwest.
I don’t get people saying Boston is so racist, racism is everywhere. Difference seems to be in Boston people will be passive aggressive about it, while down South they are probably more overt. Also in those “lily” white areas, if Black culture or community is important, forget it.

ButterRi

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,519 40 14
Alleybux
I hope so but only for selfish reasons. I’ve been looking for a new place and can’t find anything lol

Greenskye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,533 2,071 846
Alleybux
No. Besides Boston and it’s neighboring cities, the rest of New England would be “boring” for the average young Black professional. Plus, many of the areas are expensive so even for a Black family, it wouldn’t be appealing. A lot of areas are being gentrified too.

Reason why a lot of Black people are moving down South is because the COL is cheaper and the South has more Black people, so I’m assuming it’s easier to socialize romantically, friendship wise. Actually, Blacks do better overall down South. I believe Blacks do the worst economically, etc on the West coast and Midwest.
I don’t get people saying Boston is so racist, racism is everywhere. Difference seems to be in Boston people will be passive aggressive about it, while down South they are probably more overt. Also in those “lily” white areas, if Black culture or community is important, forget it.
I lived in Boston and I found it more aggressively racist than the south. The whites would just let the N word roll off their tongue naturally whenever I was around them. Mind you, a lot of them were in relationships with black and latino people. If you're in the rural areas of both the north and south there will definitely be more aggressive racism. Southern cities are more diverse than any city in the New England and has more black people. This itself makes the south less racist than the New England for black people, that is. I don't think black people are anymore economically oppressed on the west coast and midwest than in the south. It's just that the black men from those regions don't marry black women as much as in the south and that economically impacts the black community as a whole.

TXMXDva

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
94 2
Alleybux
My son and DIL moved to Maine a couple years ago and have started 2 businesses. The support they have received from their community has been great, and has sustained them through the pandemic. It can be great with the right mindset.

Games

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,938 3,665 3,118
Alleybux
The winters are too cold in New England. I believe that’s the same for the Midwest as well, but like another font said, there seems to be way more land. So, I’d say the Midwest.

I’m from New England myself. It was fine growing up, but I wouldn’t want to live there now. I can’t put my finger on it, but I enjoy Maryland where I’m at. And I enjoyed Illinois when I visited. So let’s all go to the Midwest. Or better yet, come to Maryland, so we can make PG great again.

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux
Probably, more the Midwest than the New England. Those states has always been immigration focused since slavery was abolished. I doubt there will be any further black migrations without reparations. Black people are tired of being used as mules in this country for everyone else.
I noticed it was mostly midwestern states who took away peoples unemployment early. I think they are the most republican states.

anaisnin

Semi-Retired, Still Messy
Reaction score
Reactions
259,504 4,845 1,260
Alleybux
LMAO

Take the votes down south and midwest where they’re needed. NE is cold and colder for black people.

liquid alloy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,928 535 100
Alleybux
I notice that a lot of posters complain about the cold. Some black people actually like/don't mind the cold and snow, at least prior to traditional retirement age.
Racism is another story. But you have to pick and choose what type of racism you can handle, because it is everywhere and especially in warmer climates.

I was in Bronzeville on 43rd Street the other day and there's so much space over there, I can image how poppin it was back in the mid 1900s during it's heyday. And the mid-tier cities like Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland, etc have opportunities and space with affordable homes.

I've also noticed that farther south going to W. Woodlawn, many old buildings and houses have been torn down, leaving a lot of grassy vacant lots and giving it a more airy-spacey feeling. Revitalizing those areas and installing updated buildings could eventually make it more attractive as well.

My son and DIL moved to Maine a couple years ago and have started 2 businesses. The support they have received from their community has been great, and has sustained them through the pandemic. It can be great with the right mindset.

I understand that Maine and Vermont were providing incentives for people to move there because their populations are very old.

Stella32

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,593 334 32
Alleybux
I live in Massachusetts in between Boston and Worcester for 27 years. I find Western Mass to be worse than most areas because it feels secluded and very white out that area. The only thing I don’t like about here are the winters. Racism is everywhere black folks go. The best we can do is live with pride and never let these soulless fu*ks eat away our spirit. You don’t have to like me but show some respect.

mdmommy99

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,464 765 270
Alleybux
Can't see this happening. I've been all over the south- rural Missippi, Alabama, random parts of Georgia and South Carolina, and I experienced the most overt racism that I've ever encountered in Boston. I didn't feel like Rhode Island was much better - seemed like they had more black people but they were mostly immigrants. Throw in the fact that it's cold, the houses tend to be older and smaller while also costing more than most areas in the south, I can't see this being an appealing destination for black folk. I could see us spreading out in the mid-west before I could see us migrating to New England.

LoLu10Plus

Laughter is the best medicine.
Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux
I was born in Boston, bred in another part of New England, and moved back to Boston for Univerisity. Boston is the birthplace of racism in America. Stay where you are unless you’re looking for a place to desegregate.

And I say all of this as someone who absolutely loves my city. But the racism in New England is so specific, so well hidden, and so insidious that it will knock your socks off if you just don’t know.

DZbornak

I’m not patronizing you, I’m a-mocking you
Reaction score
Reactions
152,796 5,367 1,568
Alleybux
New England sucks. Especially Boston. Extremely racist. I could not wait to graduate so I could get out of there.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,465 21,165 10,194
Alleybux
New England has Rhode Island, the state who recently changed its name from Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. Why would we move to such a racist place to just recently drop plantations from their name. It is a cold racist place.

Black people should pick a resource rich state and take it over politically then use that to steer resources to themselves. There are some who think Black people should colonize a state and "remove" the "previous inhabitants" it is the "American" way.

Reaction score
Reactions
5,421 49 19
Alleybux
I live here and NE racism comes in 2 flavors: "token black" and "my Irish/Italian ancestors were also looked down on so I can't be racist"...
The cost of living is high and the weather plays with your emotions. Other than that, find the right suburb and you'll be alright.
I don't think it's the next black Mecca. Texas and the west is where everyone seems to be going to.

YacketyYak

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,949 6,848 6,908
Alleybux
i have roots in the midwest, one of my ancestors was involved in organizing an educational society back in the 1910s that is still in operation to this day, so that tells you that black people have left an indelible mark on that part of the country, but i don't even bother to push it on this forum because all the high rollers look down on the midwest. if it aint nyc, atl, la, miami they aint trying to hear it. i get that there is more to do in bigger cities but the col is outrageous.

as far as new england goes, i know boston, rhode island, connecticut has a lot of immigrants from haiti and various african and latin american countries thanks to catholic charities and other churches who resettle them here so it will be interesting to see how things play out in the coming years.

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux
  • CT is one of the top states people are fleeing from. Poor economy and tons of crime.
  • RI is ok, but much of it is rough around the edges.
  • NH is "Live Free or Die", no taxes, ******* types.
  • ME and VT are the boonies. Cold and snow. Ski country.
  • MA is very diverse. But the city is extremely expensive. It's split clearly by neighborhoods: Irish, Italian, Black. But it's not like the movies. It's fast-paced, young, modern, tech-driven. People from all over the world.

Last edited:

Tvandtea

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,127 2,958 115
Alleybux
Just to give you an example of the racism in small towns in New England:

DERRY, N.H. (CBS) – Police are investigating a string of racially motivated vandalism incidents targeting a New Hampshire family.

On October 21, Derry Police found a racial slur had been etched into a car in the driveway of a Scobie Pond Road home.

“I don’t understand this thinking, at all. I didn’t know it still existed,” said Jacquelyn Stimson, who lives at the home with her 7-year-old mixed race son.

The incident occurred sometime at night while the family was inside their house.

Three days later, a racist and intimidating message was left on a sign at the bottom of the family’s driveway.

“It’s silly that they don’t have anything better to do with their time other than to pick on someone for the color of their skin,” Stimson said.

On Wednesday, Stimson found someone had thrown fried chicken and watermelon at her car.

Derry Police said all three incidents appear to be racially motivated.

“This is a very unusual thing to happen in Derry. In fact it never happens. So we have some work to do,” said Police Capt. Vern Thomas.

Stimson said her family is not intimidated by the hurtful actions. But they have set up security cameras to try and catch whoever is responsible in the act.

“We’re not sorry. And we’re not afraid,” Stimson said. “I want them to know how shameful it is what they did. And how ignorant.”

Neighbors say the community needs to rally for the family.

“The first thing I did, I went over there and said, ‘if you need anything, I am here,” said neighbor Ross Power. “As a community we need to be strong when things are bad.”

Last edited:

AI Boyfriend

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
106,765 6,798 5,940
Alleybux
I've also noticed that farther south going to W. Woodlawn, many old buildings and houses have been torn down, leaving a lot of grassy vacant lots and giving it a more airy-spacey feeling. Revitalizing those areas and installing updated buildings could eventually make it more attractive as well.
Oh yeah they getting ready to revitalize Woodlawn in the 2020s. Parkway Gardens is for sale now and they finally broke ground for the Obama Presidential Center in Jackson Park. The only thing is if they do tear it down and kick out the residents, they about to spread all that riff raff to other parts of the city further south.

Yeah those vacant lots make the south and west sides feel less dense than the northside.
They have that $1 Large Lot program where you can buy a vacant lot if you own a home and live on that block. I really wanna take advantage of that within the next few years.

dacialg

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,063 341 347
Alleybux
This is such a miro idea. Mass migration to live??? It's 2021, not 1917. What about a mass migration of engineers, AI technicians, botanist, neuro surgeons... etc? This is micro.