Quantcast
  • Don't post about your friends here. Post issues with your friends on the Front Porch.

Can someone please help me get vision insurance since my parents refuse to help me?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,688,938 494,876 222,832
Alleybux
I am crying. I know people will judge me but I do not have time for a very long post.
Look I come from a dysfunctional family. Where when I was in college and in my early 20s I asked my mom for my medical card
She refused and literally hid it she refused because "my sister and I would go get birth control and start having xes." Yea my mom is that insane
Before you judge me I am 25 and I came from a big city so a lot of people did not need licenses.
I have since moved to a smaller town where I need a car.
I am trying so hard to make it on my own.
right now i am unemployed and I do wear glasses but my prescription is over 1 year old and I am progressive lense.
I did receive a stimulus in which I paid all my bills and rent in advance and I bought a drivers course (FINALLY)
The problem is I just took an at home vision test and I cant really see at 10 feet and my bf said the test is at 20 feet
So now I am just sitting here crying my eyes out
I know some people can never understand but this hurts because I am trying so hard to be independent
When it seems I keep taking L's
I just want to be a normal 20 something.
I have about 500 saved from my other money and I was wondering like is there a cheap out of pocket vision insurance I could get
I just need my Rx updated then go on Zenni for affordable glasses.
Can someone help me?

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
Have you looked at the price out of pocket at CVS for an eye exam or a free-reduced clinic in your area ?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Look at CVS, Target, Walmart, Walgreens etc.
I hate this small town I live in they did not have anything in the CVS, Target, Walmart, or Walgreens BUT they did have a eye exam at Americas Best. So I thank I'll get my prescription from them and then buy my glasses for cheaper online. Thank you for helping me I was so angry and hurt and having a whole meltdown. Because I really want my license.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
The eye exam at America's Best is 50 bucks at that is the closest to my apartment so I think I am going to go with them. (I hate this fµck!ng town).

PetPanda

Took a little sun kiss just to look like this
Reaction score
Reactions
10,355 340 141
Alleybux
I'm pretty sure you can get an eye exam at lenscrafters for like 100 bucks or less.

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
The eye exam at America's Best is 50 bucks at that is the closest to my apartment so I think I am going to go with them. (I hate this fµck!ng town).

They usually have deals on glasses and a free exam with it. Ask them about what deals they have.

Bonehilda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,016 4,095 95
Alleybux
I wear glasses but rarely keep up with vision insurance or have it every other year. I usually go to Target/Walmart and then use an online glasses shop (Coastal). Doing it this way has always been cheaper since you don't have someone trying to upsell you on every little thing or push you to the most expensive frames.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
They usually have deals on glasses and a free exam with it. Ask them about what deals they have.
I think I will stick with Zenni because their glasses are way more affordable. I just want my Rx then I will purchase my frames online. Thank you again. I was having a whole meltdown. They only have America's Best here unfortunately.

LoveyDove

Black market Daily Defense Tender Apple reseller
Reaction score
Reactions
88,738 2,274 98
Alleybux
I think I will stick with Zenni because their glasses are way more affordable. I just want my Rx then I will purchase my frames online. Thank you again. I was having a whole meltdown. They only have America's Best here unfortunately.

Paying out of pocket will probably end up cheaper.

Just make sure you ask the optician at America's Best for your pupilary distance before you leave with your prescription. Usually the doctor doesn't give it to you, its the person in the front who sells the frames who measures this.

It isn't standard on the prescription paper they give you.You'll need that measurement when you order from Zenni. Zenni has an app for it, but it's best to get it from the optician just to make sure that it's accurate. When they make the glasses they need that number to make sure the glasses lens lines up correctly with your eyes.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Paying out of pocket will probably end up cheaper.

Just make sure you ask the optician at America's Best for your pupilary distance before you leave with your prescription. Usually the doctor doesn't give it to you, its the person in the front who sells the frames who measures this.

It isn't standard on the prescription paper they give you.You'll need that measurement when you order from Zenni. Zenni has an app for it, but it's best to get it from the optician just to make sure that it's accurate. When they make the glasses they need that number to make sure the glasses lens lines up correctly with your eyes.
thank you!

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,809 19,021 12,528
Alleybux
Looks like you got the help you needed. Also why are you just taking your boyfriends word for it as far as the vision requirments. You probably should look up the requirements for a DL yourself.

missmary

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,637 334 32
Alleybux
OP. I've worn glasses since I was four and was going to try and help you but I think you already got some dang fine advice. Mane! Y'all fonts good on this thread here.

Well. I basically almost have nothing to add. The Lions Club has a program for someone who wears glasses that literally can't swing the cost. Where I live that is highly city specific in scope because they only have funding for "X" amount of zip codes in my city of Memphis. Where you live it might be different because you live in a smaller city and there might be neighboring cities (instead of zip codes) thrown in the mix with the Lions Club. It'd be worth calling those folks because that's a legit charity of sorts which is really old.

Do you have your old eyeglass prescription? It's always good to compare and contrast but don't present it to your doctor at your appointment because you don't want no doctor working a hustle on you.

Are your lenses high index? Do they have prisms? Or, are they just progressives? If they're just progressives you can go most anywhere I do dare say.

Thatgirl333

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,619 295 68
Alleybux
I know Walmart has some really good deals for eye glasses. Check target as well and I would also call an optometrist office and see if they have any deals or specials. Check Groupon as well they always have deals.
I am so sorry you are going through this OP but keep in going. God does not give you anything that you cannot handle so keep on going. When you get your glasses and your license just look back at the amazing things you were able to do for yourself. You got it OP!

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
OP. I've worn glasses since I was four and was going to try and help you but I think you already got some dang fine advice. Mane! Y'all fonts good on this thread here.

Well. I basically almost have nothing to add. The Lions Club has a program for someone who wears glasses that literally can't swing the cost. Where I live that is highly city specific in scope because they only have funding for "X" amount of zip codes in my city of Memphis. Where you live it might be different because you live in a smaller city and there might be neighboring cities (instead of zip codes) thrown in the mix with the Lions Club. It'd be worth calling those folks because that's a legit charity of sorts which is really old.

Do you have your old eyeglass prescription? It's always good to compare and contrast but don't present it to your doctor at your appointment because you don't want no doctor working a hustle on you.

Are your lenses high index? Do they have prisms? Or, are they just progressives? If they're just progressives you can go most anywhere I do dare say.
Yes I do have my old Rx and I am so grateful that so many people/bw have helped me because I was lost and really upset but I now have my eye exam booked and I am ready to get back into my driving lessons.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I know Walmart has some really good deals for eye glasses. Check target as well and I would also call an optometrist office and see if they have any deals or specials. Check Groupon as well they always have deals.
I am so sorry you are going through this OP but keep in going. God does not give you anything that you cannot handle so keep on going. When you get your glasses and your license just look back at the amazing things you were able to do for yourself. You got it OP!
Thank you! Target where I live doesnt have optical and the Walmart was 65 and Americas Best was 50 so I booked with AB. Thank you so much God does not give me anything I cannot handle and I will keep going forth. I will finally have my license by the end of this summer.

Ambi D

Fishnets, Black panty hose.
Reaction score
Reactions
337,502 7,601 1,812
Alleybux
Get a cheap eye exam. Then go to Zenni optical online or Coastal.com. You should be able to get glasses for 60-100 bucks

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
Damn. Dramatic af. Lmao.

You don’t need vision insurance to get an eye exam.

I used to think like this but after working in healthcare and just living life, I’ve learned people don’t always have parental guidance or anyone to teach them things we think is so simple. A lot of people don’t know “basic life” skills or common knowledge. It’s seemingly small to us but OP thought that an eye exam was going to deter all of her hard work, she was scared & disappointed I’d say.

spoiledwater

Proud Elder Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
539,596 16,179 6,462
Alleybux
I remember having a lot of anxiety about driving, and realized that I needed to wear glasses again.

Went to a strip mall eye care shop, likely America's Best, and got my prescription, including PD distance.

Got my glasses from Zenni first in the mail, passed the test, and been driving ever since.

You can also use virtual doctors online like Good RX, for a very low cost.

1618617585800.png

You got this OP! :)

Last edited:

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I remember having a lot of anxiety about driving, and realized that I needed to wear glasses again.

Went to a strip mall eye care shop, likely America's Best, and got my prescription, including PD distance.

Got my glasses from Zenni first in the mail, passed the test, and been driving ever since.

You can also use virtual doctors online like Good RX, for a very low cost.

View attachment 2479822

You got this OP! :)
Thank you!

Bonehilda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,016 4,095 95
Alleybux
Umm eye insurance is like 20 a month lol

Vision insurance is really a scam/waste of money when you think about it. I can get an exam and glasses for around $100. If things are hard, I can hold off and get an exam every other year. If I had real concerns/medical issues with my eyes I would go to an ophthalmologist which would be covered by my medical insurance.

Brazen Hussy

Retired
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
301,060 5,473 806
Alleybux
I would check out VSP since they offer individual plans for as low as $13 per month depending on what state you are in.

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,809 19,021 12,528
Alleybux
I used to think like this but after working in healthcare and just living life, I’ve learned people don’t always have parental guidance or anyone to teach them things we think is so simple. A lot of people don’t know “basic life” skills or common knowledge. It’s seemingly small to us but OP thought that an eye exam was going to deter all of her hard work, she was scared & disappointed I’d say.

I wonder what can be done about that? Can they teach basic life skills in school? Like bring back home economics.

I just don't understand why the OP burst into tears after learning from her boyfriend the vision requirement is 20 feet and not 10 feet. The OP needs to actually look up what the exact vision requirements are in her state. Like why have a meltdown over it.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I wonder what can be done about that? Can they teach basic life skills in school? Like bring back home economics.

I just don't understand why the OP burst into tears after learning from her boyfriend the vision requirement is 20 feet and not 10 feet. The OP needs to actually look up what the exact vision requirements are in her state. Like why have a meltdown over it.
As OP I did not really explain because I felt I did not really need too or the post would be too long but if you need further clarification I burst out crying because when I was 20 I finally got my own car AFTER my mother purposely sabotaged me while I was living with her and would not allow me to save up for the car by asking me to buy everything for her when she knew I was basically trying to save up for a car. (I am trying to explain as fast as possible). So then I finally left and I got a car without a license and without knowing how to drive none of my sh!tty ass family members wanted to teach me how to drive because of fear of my mom and so I ended up trying to teach myself how to drive and basically messed it up and gave it away. I started to cry earlier because I was re-feeling that trauma of when I was basically finally about to get a car or on the edge of success and it got ruined.

Also, my parents refused to give me my medical card for dumb ass reasons like "wE'lL gEt BiRtH cOnTroL" then when I moved out and I DID try to get medical insurance through the state they kept fuckinf denying me because I am on my parents insurance then when I confront my parent they act like Idk what the fµck I am talking about. It is sick sh!t like this that makes me just strongly dislike my family. I really did not want to bring all this up because I am trying really hard to move forward. Anyway, my bf and I live in the same state so it is still 20 feet I was crying because I just took a vision test 10 feet away and had to squint to see and failed. Dude I am just tired at this point. I am tired of explaining how fµcked up my family is and I am tired of telling people I am trying which is why I started to join support groups, therapy, and reach out on forums like these. I only have people who want to see me fail inlife. They constantly SAY one things but their ACTIONS prove they have a crabs in bucket mentality and only want to be the only success. I am tired of this. I cannot wait to the day I can leave.

I did not mean to turn this whole response into a rant but this is why I did not want to go into detail because no one gets it!

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux

Honestly, idk. I’ve always been a very inquisitive person so if I don’t know something, I’ll look it up. My parents guided me but I remember as young as middle school looking up questions on Ask Jeeves, lol. We need home ec and just a whole overhaul of life skills in this country.

Also, A LOT of people put their trust in others and take whatever is said as the truth (which gets many people in trouble!). I get what you’re saying because I look up everything and contact places if I want pertinent information but many people don’t. Really, a lot of my family and friends will call me with a question so I can do the work because they know what type of person I am. I’d say it can be laziness or just ignorance. In OP’s case, I just think she was overwhelmed with thinking she wouldn’t be able to get her license after all of her hard work but yes, she could’ve just called the DMV or looked up her state’s DMV website and found out.

rayaee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,472 2,518 1,111
Alleybux
For future reference op, if you get medical insurance through your state marketplace some plans include vision coverage as well (just read up on the plans 1st).

Eta: Do you recall the insurance company your parents have you under?? You might want to give that insurance company a call to get a new ID card or cancel coverage.

Last edited:

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,809 19,021 12,528
Alleybux
As OP I did not really explain because I felt I did not really need too or the post would be too long but if you need further clarification I burst out crying because when I was 20 I finally got my own car AFTER my mother purposely sabotaged me while I was living with her and would not allow me to save up for the car by asking me to buy everything for her when she knew I was basically trying to save up for a car. (I am trying to explain as fast as possible). So then I finally left and I got a car without a license and without knowing how to drive none of my sh!tty ass family members wanted to teach me how to drive because of fear of my mom and so I ended up trying to teach myself how to drive and basically messed it up and gave it away. I started to cry earlier because I was re-feeling that trauma of when I was basically finally about to get a car or on the edge of success and it got ruined.

Also, my parents refused to give me my medical card for dumb ass reasons like "wE'lL gEt BiRtH cOnTroL" then when I moved out and I DID try to get medical insurance through the state they kept fuckinf denying me because I am on my parents insurance then when I confront my parent they act like Idk what the fµck I am talking about. It is sick sh!t like this that makes me just strongly dislike my family. I really did not want to bring all this up because I am trying really hard to move forward. Anyway, my bf and I live in the same state so it is still 20 feet I was crying because I just took a vision test 10 feet away and had to squint to see and failed. Dude I am just tired at this point. I am tired of explaining how fµcked up my family is and I am tired of telling people I am trying which is why I started to join support groups, therapy, and reach out on forums like these. I only have people who want to see me fail inlife. They constantly SAY one things but their ACTIONS prove they have a crabs in bucket mentality and only want to be the only success. I am tired of this. I cannot wait to the day I can leave.

I did not mean to turn this whole response into a rant but this is why I did not want to go into detail because no one gets it!

This is not about your family at this point. You are in your mid 20s. Going into every detail about every trauma in your past doesn't matter to this situation. Lots of people with traumatic family experiences have licenses.

This was a simple look up on the dmv issue. Again your boyfriend doesn't work for the dmv he just has a license. If you really want a license, just look up and read the requirements yourself. I would still do that because it sounds like if you go to the dmv and don't meet one of their requirements somehow you will claim some major mental breakdown and setback and blame what your family did to you years ago. Just find out all of the exact requirements for new license from the dmv and your driving school. Make sure whatever lessons and practice tests the driving school is giving you will actually qualify you for a license.

By your mid 20s you need to know how to live independently and get things like insurance etc., there is only so long you can blame your family for sabotaging you or whatever, obviously the exception would be if you have a learning disability. the tax man or bill collectors come, they would come for you not your family.

This is why I said they need to teach basic life skills in school. Like how to get a bank account and insurance etc.

Last edited:

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
This is not about your family at this point. You are in your mid 20s. Going into every detail about every trauma in your past doesn't matter to this situation. Lots of people with traumatic family experiences have licenses.

This was a simple look up on the dmv issue. Again your boyfriend doesn't work for the dmv he just has a license. If you really want a license, just look up and read the requirements yourself. I would still do that because it spunds like if you go to the dmv and don't meet one of their requirements somehow you will claim some major setback. Just find out all of the exact requirements for new licensew from the dmv and your driving school. Make sure whatever lessons and practice tests the driving school is giving you will actually qualify you for a license.
Ok thank you for your help! Have a good night!

Orange Moon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,528 1,640 497
Alleybux
I got my eye exam for contacts/glasses at my school for $20 (thats the price non-students as well). Dental exam,xrays,cleaning etc is $30 for non-students and free for students. Check your alma mater or a local school in your area.

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom