Quantcast

Can We Talk The Teen R&B Influence on the Teen Pop movement??

Lookatmenow

Are u Dum?
Reaction score
Reactions
51,576 2,046 507
Alleybux
Purr, I say this all the time, teen r&b built and was the blueprint for the white teen pop era,

Brandy, usher, monica tevin, aaliyah were mainly that wave.

That MMC era of justin, britney and christina was just a ploy to help override the success of the r&b teen stars

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
Well, this thread sure triggered the white-identified folks out there, so good looking out, OP...lol.

I can't imagine being compelled to downplay the trailblazing successes of Black artists to elevate their poor man oyibo imitators.

To those of us who remember when the true 90s teen queens ruled, those sure were good times, weren't they?

how did never say never get get the ball rolling of the white teen pop explosion, when there's nothing r&b about baby one more time, and that forementioned single dropped September 1998 & never say never dropped summer 1998. meaning baby one more time was already or damn near almost finished?

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
Purr, I say this all the time, teen r&b built and was the blueprint for the white teen pop era,

Brandy, usher, monica tevin, aaliyah were mainly that wave.

That MMC era of justin, britney and christina was just a ploy to help override the success of the r&b teen stars
lol.... even though christina britney jc chasez, Justin etc were on the mickey mouse club in 1993, and as early as 1990, while the black teen stars debut albums didn't drop until 1994? and Tiffany & Debbie gibson were making hits since the late 80s/early 90s? lol

while usher was taking 3 years to recover from that flop ass debut album that no 1 even knows exists , coping ginuwines the bachelor steaze for relevance, Justin was recording 1 of multiple diamond albums with nsync.

it's sad how insecure & inadequate some people feel to rewrite & embellish history

Last edited:

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
243,968 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
how did never say never get get the ball rolling of the white teen pop explosion, when there's nothing r&b about baby one more time, and that forementioned single dropped September 1998 & never say never dropped summer 1998. meaning baby one more time was already or damn near almost finished?

ShallowMadeupCorydorascatfish-max-1mb.gif

tenor.gif

6b205511dbed35442fab46a9c188a72a_w200.gif

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
@Gabriel Prosser u see this mess?

Fonts trying to pass off brandy as THEE trailblazer of the 90s whilst slighting people for being a watered down version of her

all the while in the 90s all brandy monotone & aaliyah was, were watered down versions of Mary... I can't!

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
When I think of Brandy’s blueprint from the music. dolls, the tv appearances, & the Hirk Next Door image branding. Never Say Never was a mega era
never say never was nothing more than a hybrid of Mary and Mariah in 98, and it is nothing more than a hybrid of Mary & Mariah now

"Brandy wisely decides to find a middle ground between Mariah Carey and Mary J. Blige -- it's adult contemporary with a slight streetwise edge. As with most adult contemporary albums, the record is bogged down by some filler, but Brandy's delivery has improved and her subdued vocals can make mediocre material sound convincing"

christina was singing urban r&b on national tv for an entire year before anybody heard a brandy tune on the radio. it's nothing but ignorant and disengenous to act as if brandy never existed Christina wouldnt have r&b or runs in her music, when her fav was Mariah

Last edited:

mikesan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,205 3,377 785
Alleybux
never say never was nothing more than a hybrid of Mary and Mariah in 98, and it is nothing more than a hybrid of Mary & Mariah now

"Brandy wisely decides to find a middle ground between Mariah Carey and Mary J. Blige -- it's adult contemporary with a slight streetwise edge. As with most adult contemporary albums, the record is bogged down by some filler, but Brandy's delivery has improved and her subdued vocals can make mediocre material sound convincing"

christina was singing urban r&b on national tv for an entire year before anybody heard a brandy tune on the radio. it's nothing but ignorant and disengenous to act as if brandy never existed Christina wouldnt have r&b or runs in her music, when her fav was Mariah

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRANDY HAS THE GIRLS MAD

ncvbn1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,609 602 740
Alleybux
You should say the teen era of those stars.

Some of them have redeemed themselves with their later work.

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRANDY HAS THE GIRLS MAD

mariah Mary & christina have all outsold brandy, and christina is a more revered vocalist than brandy, despite debuting years later so what exactly does Brandy have me mad about? i love brandy.

brandy definitely has YOU mad tho. Her only 2 albums of relevancy has you so mad you have to revise & embellish history to make her impact seem way greater than it was.

of course you have no answer. just a childish "lmao" because you have nothing but delusions, hated, jealousy, & insecurity, not facts , or critical thinking to substantiate your awkward claims & comparisons.

you're in my prayers

Last edited:

mikesan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,205 3,377 785
Alleybux
Shanice, Tevin, and Tracie were the first Black (solo) teen singers that I'd gotten into because they'd hit around the time that I started to develop individual musical taste (around 8 or 9 years old).

Not to take anything away from Monica, Aaliyah, and Brandy's successes at all, but it's always been a little bittersweet to me that Tracie and Shanice didn't reach the level of success that they paved the way for those girls to have.
I wonder what went wrong with those 3 & what went wrong with Tiffany & Debbie Gibson. Like I wonder how they felt watching their successors climb to the success they did.
I’d also love to know Brandy Monica and Usher but especially Brandy’s thoughts on the teen pop movement

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
243,968 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
I wonder what went wrong with those 3 & what went wrong with Tiffany & Debbie Gibson. Like I wonder how they felt watching their successors climb to the success they did.
I’d also love to know Brandy Monica and Usher but especially Brandy’s thoughts on the teen pop movement
I know that Tracie decided that she wanted to live a normal life (go to college), though she did come back in the late 90s

What happened to Tevin has been discussed many times, but Shanice's episode of Unsung provides more insight on why her career hadn't gone as far as it should have (execs' inability to develop her as a young adult artist, pretty much what happened after the '80s with Debbie and Tiffany).

mikesan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,205 3,377 785
Alleybux
It's really odd because there's a whole generation of girls that lived through the Brandy reign, so it's not as if we've made this up.
Literally Erykah Badu who’s older than Brandy said her DEBUT inspired Baduizm. Never Say Never inspired the teen pop movement and Full Moon changed how singers sang.

ForumsStaySpilling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,383 3,305 944
Alleybux
So I see a bunch of stans of a certain base has people pressed, but I only see it based on the responses, and not what they are saying, because I have them blocked.

Last edited: