Quantcast

Caribbean-born and Bred Fonts, Get In Here!

Meliodas

not here.
Reaction score
Reactions
115,318 3,062 1,403
Alleybux
If you plan to or are already living in a foreign country: Would you send your child/future child back to your country for a year or two in order for them to get in touch with their culture?

Some decades ago it was a very popular practice but I don't see anyone doing it now. Would you?

LegendaryMe

Bad Gyal Tingz
Reaction score
Reactions
9,699 145 7
Alleybux
I definitely want to. Everyone around me is against it but those experiences growing up shaped me in a certain way that I'd want for my own kids.

geos85

Your faves favorite.
Reaction score
Reactions
8,469 549 1,046
Alleybux
If you plan to or are already living in a foreign country: Would you send your child/future child back to your country for a year or two in order for them to get in touch with their culture?

Some decades ago it was a very popular practice but I don't see anyone doing it now. Would you?
Send them during the summer all summer long . Also live in or near a Caribbean enclave(Northeast Bronx, Brooklyn, Jamaica Queens, Hempstead, or Broward County).

Reaction score
Reactions
8,246 263 501
Alleybux
No bc I have family still there that we can visit often (well in non-covid times). I would never let my kid be away from me for a year or two until they're going away to college.

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux

Tbh, I want to.

I really don’t want them to grow up in Canada tbh

we have a much stronger education system in the Caribbean. Also, I don’t plan on living in a major city at any point, so my future kids’ exposure to Caribbean culture will be very important to me. Only way they’ll really get that is by living there for at least a year.

cheerie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,961 449 668
Alleybux

Nothing more annoying than some of the fonts on here who identify as Caribbean (when convenient) and try to speak with authority on the entire region using stereotypes and snippets of exposure to their family’s country of origin. A continuous year or two of real exposure that included a full school year would've done wonders for them.

SagGoddess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
37,484 568 172
Alleybux
I am a millennial that had the privilege of growing up in Brooklyn in the 90's and early 00's so I had the community surrounding me everywhere I turned which helped and I also went back and forth back home during summers. My daughter has gone back home a little more than 5 times, and I intend to ramp it up and send her home this summer because after this pandemic I need a break as a healthcare worker that never stopped working, teaching her remote, and being a student. I am going to stay there for 2 weeks myself then fly back home and let her stay for 6 weeks, and I hope she enjoys it. I miss the days of being a kid and going back home it really helped me to stay strong to my culture to this day.

Vaped

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
152 1
Alleybux
My parents sent me back home to DR to be with grandma every summer. Cheap childcare and I was an annoying kid so I don't blame them lol. Best thing they've done for me

Blossoms2

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
21,408 124 24
Alleybux
Yes I sent my 5 children every summer to Jamaica to spend time with my grandparents and they loved it. They are now grown some with families of their own, and they still treasure the times they spent with my now deceased grandparents.

LoLu10Plus

Laughter is the best medicine.
Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux
Ok, so I’m not supposed to be here, but please don’t figuratively kick my rass. LOL My father is Jamaican and my mother is Bajan. I was born in the US, and they both emigrated as children/adolescents. My parents met and had me while going to college. A few years after they graduated, my father got into revolutionary mode and decided he was going to become a Rastafarian and we were all going back to Jamaica to live. So we moved everything to JA when I was four. Unfortunately, my parents split when I was almost seven, and my mother I moved back to the USA. But I’ve always been closer to my Jamaican grandparents and was their only grandchild for ten years.

Anyway, I came to read people‘s opinions. I agree with sending your kids back home for the summers. Not only do I love and cherish the time I spent in JA as a little girl, it taught me to be grateful for a lot of things my friends took for granted when I was younger. And then when I got older, my mom sent me to Barbados for a month for the first time. I was ten and went with family and stayed with family, and to this day it is one of the best trips I’ve ever been on. We were there for a wedding and Cropover. Kadooment Day for a little girl is like a wondrous world of magic.

Anyhoo, since my first trip without my mom, I went back to the islands numerous times with family and my parents. And I always spent long portions of my summers in FL with my Jamaican grandparents. They were the best parts of my years growing up. When my cousin and I turned 21 we went to Barbados to turn up. And when I got engaged, my fiancée and I went to Barbados to celebrate. And we spent our honeymoon in the British and American Virgin Islands.

So even though I wasn’t born there, and y’all may come for me, SEND YOUR KIDS HOME FOR VACATIONS!! It’s the best experience and they get to learn their culture, eat the food, and have that good fun you just can’t have anywhere else in the world but the Caribbean.

Man, this quarantine got me missing home so much.

LoLu10Plus

Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux
Nothing more annoying than some of the fonts on here who identify as Caribbean (when convenient) and try to speak with authority on the entire region using stereotypes and snippets of exposure to their family’s country of origin. A continuous year or two of real exposure that included a full school year would've done wonders for them.
Just wanted to say I’m not speaking for the region, and I’m only speaking for myself. And I did go to school in JA while I lived there. I thought my lil pink gingham check uniform was just the best.

And my love for the Caribbean is not a passing fancy. It’s my favorite place in the world!! I will always love it.

CurlyBell

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
213,563 5,034 2,143
Alleybux

THANK YOU!

SosoSjeu

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,518 75 31
Alleybux
I can't wait for my nephew to come over. I am negotiating the length of his stay as we speak.

Going back and forth between the caribbean and the west, gave me a well rounded view of my culture and has shaped my identity in a positive way. And I want my nieces and nephews to experience the same.

Meliodas

not here.
Reaction score
Reactions
115,318 3,062 1,403
Alleybux
Ok, so I’m not supposed to be here, but please don’t figuratively kick my rass. LOL My father is Jamaican and my mother is Bajan. I was born in the US, and they both emigrated as children/adolescents. My parents met and had me while going to college. A few years after they graduated, my father got into revolutionary mode and decided he was going to become a Rastafarian and we were all going back to Jamaica to live. So we moved everything to JA when I was four. Unfortunately, my parents split when I was almost seven, and my mother I moved back to the USA. But I’ve always been closer to my Jamaican grandparents and was their only grandchild for ten years.

Anyway, I came to read people‘s opinions. I agree with sending your kids back home for the summers. Not only do I love and cherish the time I spent in JA as a little girl, it taught me to be grateful for a lot of things my friends took for granted when I was younger. And then when I got older, my mom sent me to Barbados for a month for the first time. I was ten and went with family and stayed with family, and to this day it is one of the best trips I’ve ever been on. We were there for a wedding and Cropover. Kadooment Day for a little girl is like a wondrous world of magic.

Anyhoo, since my first trip without my mom, I went back to the islands numerous times with family and my parents. And I always spent long portions of my summers in FL with my Jamaican grandparents. They were the best parts of my years growing up. When my cousin and I turned 21 we went to Barbados to turn up. And when I got engaged, my fiancée and I went to Barbados to celebrate. And we spent our honeymoon in the British and American Virgin Islands.

So even though I wasn’t born there, and y’all may come for me, SEND YOUR KIDS HOME FOR VACATIONS!! It’s the best experience and they get to learn their culture, eat the food, and have that good fun you just can’t have anywhere else in the world but the Caribbean.

Man, this quarantine got me missing home so much.
definitely wouldn't drag you, you spent your formative years here so you definitely grew up in the culture.

as for the summers thing, i don't think a summer would be enough (at least for me) to fully immerse a child into the culture cus i've seen it in my cousins.

i'd have to let my child spend at least one school year in my country to truly get the experiences you don't get as a visitor.

cheerie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,961 449 668
Alleybux
Just wanted to say I’m not speaking for the region, and I’m only speaking for myself. And I did go to school in JA while I lived there. I thought my lil pink gingham check uniform was just the best.

And my love for the Caribbean is not a passing fancy. It’s my favorite place in the world!! I will always love it.
Why do you think I was referring to you? The types I described participate in negative conversations about any island, and use their scant connection to seem credible. I also said some. Some behave more appropriately I am sure.

Meliodas

not here.
Reaction score
Reactions
115,318 3,062 1,403
Alleybux

right! it rubs me the wrong way but when i say they're not insert caribbean country because they haven't even lived here, they say i'm denying their heritage like no... it's a lived experience, not just something you get to conveniently claim.

Meliodas

not here.
Reaction score
Reactions
115,318 3,062 1,403
Alleybux
Tbh, I want to.

I really don’t want them to grow up in Canada tbh

we have a much stronger education system in the Caribbean. Also, I don’t plan on living in a major city at any point, so my future kids’ exposure to Caribbean culture will be very important to me. Only way they’ll really get that is by living there for at least a year.

my thoughts exactly and i think it'd be a bit irresponsible for me as a parent to deny my child of their heritage and the positive experiences i had as a child. culture is meant to be passed down and seeing it rapidly disappearing in the west indian diaspora is disheartening.

Choupinette

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,599 76 6
Alleybux
Of course I would no question. My niece is 5, she was born in Saint-Martin, but left for France when she was 2.
When she went for the summer, she loved it and constantly asks to go back.
I think it helps kids stay rooted, connected to their roots. And prevents them from arrogant. Sadly, a lot of kids in France act like that.

LoLu10Plus

Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux

Why do you think I was referring to you? The types I described participate in negative conversations about any island, and use their scant connection to seem credible. I also said some. Some behave more appropriately I am sure.
I apologize in advance for not being clearer in my reponse. I didn’t think you were referring to me, I just wanted to preempt any backlash because I wasn’t born in the WI and I know the post specifically asked for fonts who were born in the Caribbean.

I was also just professing my love for my people and what I consider to be one of my homes. I agree with your comment.

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux

I don't think this kind of thing will happen again, my generation was the last to experience this sort of thing, all of my parents' generation send their children back to schools in Haiti and also during all summer vacation because in the 80s, early 90s both parents would have to work long hours often from 7 am until 6 pmjust to make ends meet, there was no such things as low cost orivate goverment funded daycare and it was so expensive that it was out of reach besides that the community was not yet established and the security situation was more stable in the caribbean, it was purely economic and not cultural because otherwise your children might have become a delinquent and being arrested by the police and not performing at school, as in Montreal there was a huge generation of young Haitian delinquent in the late 90's some join Gang and were constantly in the news until the 9\11 attack then everything change and suddenly the enemy number 1 in the media was the Arabs

it is my belief that sending our children back home for the early school year is a wonderful idea and even if it's only for the summer cavation as it will help you develop a better mentality and less confusion about your identity in the white's men country, Since the age of 2 every year I take my daughter to Haiti for the summer vacation includign during Christmas and before college I would have liked to send her to work at least for 6 months in Africa with an NGO

Justalook

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,386 309 103
Alleybux
no. my children are staying with me wherever i am.
I was open to them spending summers with grandparents

MizTeA

Better Than You
Reaction score
Reactions
14,115 153 85
Alleybux
I mentioned it before but my aunt sent my bad ass cousin who was in gang and criminal sh!t, home and it did wonders for him. He became a grounded human, went to college has a decent job and is doing well for himself.