Quantcast

Carribean look?

sailorcosmos

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,408 1,412 47
Alleybux
I don't know how to explain it but I usually can tell when a black person or someone is of South Asian descent is from the Caribbean or of Caribbean descent before they even speak.

Last edited:

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,418 18,059
Alleybux
I’ve been told I look like I’m from the carribean... don’t understand what this means? Are there such thing as Caribbean facial features ? I can’t tell by looking at someone if they are from the Caribbean or not
The only Caribbeans who look most different to me are the ones with Indian/Asian ancestry and the ones with very high percentages of African ancestry. Black Americans don’t usually have that ancestry so I can tell they aren’t Black American. The rest tend to look very similar to Black Americans outside of some with a few different features.

Last edited:

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,418 18,059
Alleybux
They wish? Do you ever take a damn break from spewing venom against Africans?Why can't you just respectfully disagree and keep it pushing? Why the shady remark? Nigerians didn't ask to be bought up in a thread that has nothing to do with us, but as usual people can't help themselves and throw us in convos.

And it is telling how some of you get very offended when you are compared to Africans (well the Africans who are not mixed).
But it does have something to do with y’all . Certain DOS groups ancestors were sold by/from Nigeria and have larger percentages of Nigerian ancestry.

And if you truly believe it has nothing to do with you, why are you in here? I don’t honestly believe that you believed a discussion about DOS ethnic groups looks/ancestry wouldn’t involve mentioning Africans/African ancestry.

xleolionessx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,189 1,341 1,464
Alleybux
But it does have something to do with y’all . Certain DOS groups ancestors were sold by/from Nigeria and have larger percentages of Nigerian ancestry.

And if you truly believe it has nothing to do with you, why are you in here? I don’t honestly believe that you believed a discussion about DOS ethnic groups looks/ancestry wouldn’t involve mentioning Africans/African ancestry.
Ok so lets just ignore the shady comment that I was addressing about Nigerians. I can enter any thread I please.

If you are talking about Jamaican ancestry, you need to look to Ghana and Ivory Coast- Akan people as they are the people Jamaicans mainly descend from.

Reaction score
Reactions
400 106 2,335
Alleybux
There is no stereotypical phenotypic "look". Yes Spanish Speaking Caribbean is STILL Caribbean. Some countries have more miscegenation than others, so you might have heard of someone saying they "look Puerto Rican or Dominican", what they REALLY mean is that they look mixed. There IS however cultural give aways if you're straight off the boat or your first gen born on the mainland, but after a couple generations of assimilation, many of us end up look indistinguishable from the closet monoracial group we look closest to. This isn't to say all of us do though.

mithras

facts not feelings
Reaction score
Reactions
78,934 4,758 3,693
Alleybux
Yes Caribbean’s can spot other Caribbean’s fairly easily, it cannot be explained this is just it.

Now here in France people have been able to also asses part of my origins.
For me it’s a skin thing. Glowing undertones etc. etc. but whatever all I know is Jamaicans have the best food

period

Last edited:

heavypepper

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,131 226 23
Alleybux
Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he carries a clutch or keeps it in the car glove box to freshen up his personal grooming on-the-go.....!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he wears a Speedo.....!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he brushes his hair with the little wooden hair brush with the fabric strap that hold his fingers and uses brilliantine to keep it soft.....!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he only carries cash.....!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he uses banana leaves to cook.....!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he keeps a machete in the car trunk......!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he keeps a pistol in the glove box or under the driver’s seat, cos you know crime is bad in the Caribbean....!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he wears his shirt unbutton a little too low showing off his gold horn pendant.......and a gold (or, copper) cuff bracelet......!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he has a beautiful smile and old fashioned manners.......!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he knows how to pack a mean beach picnic.....!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if you grew up playing dominoes & briscas and watching boxing & cockfights......!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if he can start a drum jam session (descarga) on the fly........!

Your Daddy might be Caribbean if you travel with him to NYC and he knows everyone....(esp. in Spanish Harlem)......!

that drum jam on a plane is so FIRE!!!!!

just walking into a room saying “Good Evening”.. I get she’s a WI or from the Caribbean..

TO ME more mannerisms then looks...

Last edited:

Chenr41

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,500 365 264
Alleybux
I also believe different black people have a look. But I think everyone is avoiding specifics so they don't offend anyone. But ill start. Yall tend to have skinny ankles and calves.
Lmao this is me what else ?

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux
I’ve been told I look like I’m from the carribean... don’t understand what this means? Are there such thing as Caribbean facial features ? I can’t tell by looking at someone if they are from the Caribbean or not
lol i can tell if someone is from the caribbean from their features as well as the way they dress

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux
that drum jam on a plane is so FIRE!!!!!

just walking into a room saying “Good Evening”.. I get she’s a WI or from the Caribbean..

TO ME more mannerisms then looks...
lmao my roommates used to look at me weird for saying good night as a greeting. def a caribbean thing

Ambitiousbeau

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
130,044 4,058 1,678
Alleybux
I have both Afro and Indo Caribbean backgrounds, so I use my family as a point of reference to see if someone is West Indian. You know once you see someone, but you have others who you wouldn't be able to tell, especially in the northeast.

High cheekbones and then the jaw/mouth because of speech patterns influence certain movements or positions. Different than African and American, it's interesting.

CRUZAN

Bad Gyul Nuh Quarrel
Reaction score
Reactions
11,919 289 398
Alleybux
People keep asking me if I'm Dominican or Haitian. One time I asked a guy who asked me if I was, why and he said "it's your demeanor".

Are you a man? If so, do you wear narrow square front shoes? That's one of the ways I'm able to tell.

PoeticPisces

Too young for MySpace, too old for Tik Tok
Reaction score
Reactions
95,276 2,654 869
Alleybux
Yeah. I want to know to. I get approached by Caribbean men a lot and they always make that surprised face when I say my parents are Nigerian.

Same with my brother, they always assume he’s something else. If he grows his beard all of a sudden he’s treated like a Mohammed (he has a straight beard and he’s hairy) or Jamaican. No one ever guesses it right

I’ve been told by Americans that I look like the regular African-American woman, whatever that means.

A Nigerian man also told me my family looks American (not talking about clothes but our physical features).

I swear AAs and Caribbean’s all come from West Africa, so why is it surprising that I’d look like them or they’d look like me.

PoeticPisces

Reaction score
Reactions
95,276 2,654 869
Alleybux
The only 'look' I specifically link to the Caribbean is the African-Indian mix because you don't usually see it anywhere else
There’s actually a huge Indian population in parts of Africa. My brother did a DNA test and got 20% East Indian DNA.

People generally don’t guess his ethnicity correctly, especially when he grows out his beard (I guess because his beard is straight and he’s really hairy).

Both are parents are Nigerian (black) so I don’t know where that came from.

I also get approached by West Indian men a lot and they act surprised when I say I’m Nigerian. I don’t get it. I’ve also been told by Americans that I look African-American even a Nigerian told me my family looks American.

What features are there? Since we all descend from West Africa, there will be commonalities.

EllegantBizarre

I'm the sweetest bish you'll ever meet <3
Reaction score
Reactions
14,762 363 236
Alleybux
There is definitely a 'look'. I can't describe it, maybe mannerisms, hairstyles, clothing choices, I don't know but my mom and I can clock a Caribbean, African, or ADOS a mile away. Which is cool because I find it fun guessing and then they confirm I'm right about their heritage.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,968 217 40
Alleybux
Loool sis same, every time I’m baffled

Putinbiebs

Ochocinco wanted me
Reaction score
Reactions
74,403 5,092 2,962
Alleybux
I can spot the differences. It’s the same way I know the difference between Hispanics and Caribbean Latinos.

godisgood

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,759 4,463 2,289
Alleybux
Yeah. I want to know to. I get approached by Caribbean men a lot and they always make that surprised face when I say my parents are Nigerian.

Same with my brother, they always assume he’s something else. If he grows his beard all of a sudden he’s treated like a Mohammed (he has a straight beard and he’s hairy) or Jamaican. No one ever guesses it right

I’ve been told by Americans that I look like the regular African-American woman, whatever that means.

A Nigerian man also told me my family looks American (not talking about clothes but our physical features).

I swear AAs and Caribbean’s all come from West Africa, so why is it surprising that I’d look like them or they’d look like me.
are u igbo btw?

PearlBracelet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,697 920 547
Alleybux
For me it’s a skin thing. Glowing undertones etc. etc. but whatever all I know is Jamaicans have the best food

period
This makes it easier to understand. I have also been for years asked was I Caribbean- my family is ADOS Creole. I have a glowing reddish/orangey/mustardy skin color I have to custom blend my makeup. And wearing my long natural hair curly has intensified it.

Always wondered where those questions came from.

godisgood

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,759 4,463 2,289
Alleybux
There’s actually a huge Indian population in parts of Africa. My brother did a DNA test and got 20% East Indian DNA.

People generally don’t guess his ethnicity correctly, especially when he grows out his beard (I guess because his beard is straight and he’s really hairy).

Both are parents are Nigerian (black) so I don’t know where that came from.

I also get approached by West Indian men a lot and they act surprised when I say I’m Nigerian. I don’t get it. I’ve also been told by Americans that I look African-American even a Nigerian told me my family looks American.

What features are there? Since we all descend from West Africa, there will be commonalities.
Something is definitely suspect here. It is very very unusual to meet a Nigerian person with any sort of East Indian DNA let alone 20% East Indian DNA. We don't have many Indians living in Nigeria, so I can't understand why you would have such a high percentage of Indian DNA. I know Kenya and Uganda has quite a large Indian population and have personally met East Africans with an Indian parent or grandparent which would make sense as the Indian community was once very large in East African regions. I am very into genealogy and can assure you that it is very unusual for Nigerians to have any Indian DNA unless they had an actual relative who was pure Indian as in direct from India. The only genetically mixed tribe in Nigeria are the Fulani people who do have North-African/Berber and Middle Eastern blood in them but that is never usually higher than about 10%. I am sorry, I just find this really curious.I feel like you might have had a great grandparent who was Indian and your family might have hidden that as it is not typical to meet a Nigerian with such high levels of Indian DNA. Typically when a Nigerian has a non-Nigerian ancestry dna result that would come from North Africa such as the berbers and slight traces of the middle east as with the Fulanis but never ever as far as somewhere like India. So that is why I think you might have had a pure Indian grandparent that maybe your current relatives did not know about

Last edited:

godisgood

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,759 4,463 2,289
Alleybux
No Yoruba.
Thank you for clarifying sis please see what i wrote above about high unusual it is for a Nigerian to have such a high percentage of Indian blood in you. I feel like you might have had a great grandparent who was Indian and your family might have hidden that as it is not typical to meet a Nigerian with such a high level of Indian DNA.

PoeticPisces

Reaction score
Reactions
95,276 2,654 869
Alleybux
Something is definitely suspect here. It is very very unusual to meet a Nigerian person with any sort of East Indian DNA let alone 20% East Indian DNA. We don't have many Indians living in Nigeria, so I can't understand why you would have such a high percentage of Indian DNA. I know Kenya and Uganda has quite a large Indian population and have personally met East Africans with an Indian parent or grandparent which would make sense as the Indian community was once very large in East African regions. I think the test you did is not quite accurate. I am very into geneology and can assure you that it is very unusualy for Nigerians to have any Indian DNA. The only genetically mixed tribe are the Fulani people who do have North-African/Berber and Middle Eastern blood in them but that is never usually higher than about 10%. I am sorry, I just find this really curious
I didn’t do the test my brother did. My dad is part Fulani so maybe that’s it. But I’ve met Indians in Canada who said they used to live in Nigeria and helped build the capital city. Many went to Nigeria for work so that’s also possible but I think East Indian is considered more Pakistani and all those people not India.

drsexy369

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,669 976 375
Alleybux
I think people say it if you look similar to any Caribbean celebs that’s how they can tell.

PoeticPisces

Reaction score
Reactions
95,276 2,654 869
Alleybux
Thank you for clarifying sis please see what i wrote above about high unusual it is for a Nigerian to have such a high percentage of Indian blood in you. I feel like you might have had a great grandparent who was Indian and your family might have hidden that as it is not typical to meet a Nigerian with DNA. I am Igbo and very fair but I am 100% percent black
Yeah I know many Igbo people are fair. My grandmother is Yoruba and was so fair that you couldn’t see that well in photos if it was sunny outside. My dads family is kind of like that. We are all 100% black. I don’t know any Indian people lol.

The only thing is my brothers beard is super straight compared to other Nigerians and he’s much hairier. His body hair is also straight, I didn’t even notice that until I looked at other Nigerians and their body hair was coily.

My dad is Yoruba/Fulani. I always forget the Fulani part so maybe that’s it then.

godisgood

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,759 4,463 2,289
Alleybux
I didn’t do the test my brother did. My dad is part Fulani so maybe that’s it. But I’ve met Indians in Canada who said they used to live in Nigeria and helped build the capital city. Many went to Nigeria for work so that’s also possible but I think East Indian is considered more Pakistani and all those people not India.
Yes so the Fulanis are the only genetically mixed tribe in Nigeria as they orignally came from North Africa hence their features. I have watched many Nigerian Fulanis do their DNA test and some have as much as 10% North African/Berber and 2% Middle-Eastern but have never seen one who had any East Indian dna ancestry. I think it is really interesting and sorry I did not know before it was possible for a Nigerian to have as high as 20% Indian. As I mentioned I have met a Ugandan lady whose dad was Indian and there are a few Kenyans I have seen you look abit mixed with Indian but that is as far as I have seen with that sort of mixture in our motherland

godisgood

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,759 4,463 2,289
Alleybux
Yeah I know many Igbo people are fair. My grandmother is Yoruba and was so fair that you couldn’t see that well in photos if it was sunny outside. My dads family is kind of like that. We are all 100% black. I don’t know any Indian people lol.

The only thing is my brothers beard is super straight compared to other Nigerians and he’s much hairier. His body hair is also straight, I didn’t even notice that until I looked at other Nigerians and their body hair was coily.

My dad is Yoruba/Fulani. I always forget the Fulani part so maybe that’s it then.
is your grandmother from Ondo State. I once worked with a Yoruba lady who was very light and everyone thought she was Igbo. She said that people from Ondo State are usually not very dark

PoeticPisces

Reaction score
Reactions
95,276 2,654 869
Alleybux
Yes so the Fulanis are the only genetically mixed tribe in Nigeria as they orignally came from North Africa hence their features. I have watched many Nigerian Fulanis do their DNA test and some have as much as 10% North African/Berber and 2% Middle-Eastern but have never seen one who had any East Indian dna ancestry. I think it is really interesting and sorry I did not know before it was possible for a Nigerian to have as high as 20% Indian. As I mentioned I have met a Ugandan lady whose dad was Indian and there are a few Kenyans I have seen you look abit mixed with Indian but that is as far as I have seen with that sort of mixture in our motherland
My brother said East Indian is not considered literally East India but countries like Pakistan etc. Explains why I always attract and was attracted to people from there ever since I was a kid. I haven’t done my DNA test because my brothers scared me lol.

I want to know too. But we only share 50% of our DNA so he might have inherited all the Indian whereas I didn’t. Since we only get 50% from each parent, his 50 percent included East Indian genes mines might not.

PoeticPisces

Reaction score
Reactions
95,276 2,654 869
Alleybux
is your grandmother from Ondo State. I once worked with a Yoruba lady who was very light and everyone thought she was Igbo. She said that people from Ondo State are usually not very dark
I actually don’t know. My dad is from Kwara but I know people move. I’ll have to ask him.

Igbos light skin looks different that Yorubas though. I think Yoruba people look more yellow (am I wrong)? I’m still learning.

Last edited:

IamYourKween

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,638 823 215
Alleybux
My mom claims she can tell when someone is west indian, but I can't. People down in Houston can tell though by my accent that comes out sometimes.

Godxess

S.H.E
Reaction score
Reactions
17,000 1,312 2,936
Alleybux
This makes it easier to understand. I have also been for years asked was I Caribbean- my family is ADOS Creole. I have a glowing reddish/orangey/mustardy skin color I have to custom blend my makeup. And wearing my long natural hair curly has intensified it.
Always wondered where those questions came from.
People know their people , simplest way to explain it . For me it’s mostly skin tone . Most times it’s golden orange reddy or golden olive undertones on light and dark complexions and also bone structure, and hair/hairstyle .