Quantcast

Caucasian Teachers and African American Schools.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
I attended a Zoom meeting for my department. While listening to the presenter I noticed an increasing number of non black faces in the "room." More than last year and the year before. Do you see a pattern? I teach in a predominately African American school system. We do not have the best reputation in our state for many reason, one being behavioral issues.

In the last four years I have been seeing an influx of Caucasian teachers getting hired in the system. A lot of them are transfers from OTHER WHITE schools. I just feel like they're moving in on my space. I know I don't own the school system, but I just feel some kind of way.

Perhaps my heart is in the wrong place. Once, I finished school at predominately white institution, I swore that I was never going to teach in a Caucasian school. I just don't like the energy non whites bring. First they have this takeover spirit. Like they just ban together and takeover all leadership positions. They're always given more credit and respect than Black teachers. The kids are afraid of them, so they'll try the white teachers harder than the black ones. I hate the way my peers ( other black teachers) suck up and cherish everything they do and say as if it is the law.

Last but not least, in my program, I've noticed that a lot of these teachers are transfers. Meaning they were teaching at more affluent, white schools ( the ones I probably couldn't get hired at). Then for some reason they decide ( or were forced) to teach in Black system. It was as if, the Black system was a second choice for them.

That is not the case for me, a Black woman. The system I am in, has always been my first choice. I just like being around my people................when they act right. Believe it or not, I want to see Black and Brown kids succeed. Plus I enjoy teaching the kids who are rough around the edges. As a child I respected adults but I was rough around the edges myself. I was getting into fights, never did my work and so on. I just can't relate the clean cut children. I get bored where everything is normal. Once I observed at this very rich, white, elementary school. By noon, I suffered a huge panic attack seeing all their little faces smiling. Look at those bright colored walls. I remember thinking at other school I tutored at, there would be a fight by now. Or the school would go under lockdown because someone fired a gun into the community. Or the janitors would get into a shouting match with each other on the hall. I know, terrible. Once you are conditioned to that kind of work environment it is hard to get use to normalcy. I have been doing this for over 10 years. I just don't like these people evading our turf. I feel like Zulu Warriors when the white infiltrated their tribe under the guise of friendship and respect.

Mrs.Goblin

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,522 422 468
Alleybux
You sound kinda crazy tbh.

Some of my very best teachers were white. Sure we were from different backgrounds, but it all comes down to mutual respect and care. You’re making a lot of assumptions. Gotta treat folks like individuals. It’s important for children to associate with people from all walks of life. That’s what the real world is like.

It seems like you thrive on chaos. That’s not healthy.

luckydog

Truth Hurts
Reaction score
Reactions
6,118 444 1,193
Alleybux
Why is there room at your school for all these white teachers? Don't Black teachers want to be there? Were they forced out to make room for all those white folks infiltrating your space?

Reaction score
Reactions
4,706 37 4
Alleybux
Not sure where you are but I have noticed a lot of young white teachers coming to work at hood schools too. It makes me uncomfortable because I feel like 1-they have this super hero complex like they think they can come "save" little black kids and 2- there are programs where student loans are forgiven if you work 5-10 years at non profit (charter) schools. I always notice that after about that 5 year mark they usually want to suddenly work closer to home...girl just say that your loans are paid off and you don't want to be bothered with the troubled youth "you get so much joy outta helping" anymore. They use our kids and bounce smh.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,706 37 4
Alleybux

Some of my very best teachers were white. Sure we were from different backgrounds, but it all comes down to mutual respect and care. You’re making a lot of assumptions. Gotta treat folks like individuals. It’s important for children to associate with people from all walks of life. That’s what the real world is like.

If you haven't worked in a African American school setting it's hard to picture but she's not far off. I loved some of my white teachers growing up but now having worked with some I get what she's saying- in my personal experience its almost like why are you here--you give off I don't like black ppl vibes but you're SURROUNDING yourself with them--in an authority position

Reaction score
Reactions
4,706 37 4
Alleybux
Why is there room at your school for all these white teachers? Don't Black teachers want to be there? Were they forced out to make room for all those white folks infiltrating your space?
Unfortunately teaching is fading away because so many ppl are seeing the work is not worth the money. So there are hundreds of teacher openings everywhere

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
580,990 19,674 2,219
Alleybux
As a student and former teacher, their presence can go one of two ways

1. They actually care about the educational well being of their students; they take the time to understand their upbringing and limitations they face

2. As someone else mentioned, they come through with a God complex-and make no secret that they are here to "domesticate" these heathen Black and Brown students

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux

You are probably white too. Dismissed.

Whatever83

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,744 221 85
Alleybux
It could be due to student loan forgiveness programs for teachers. Some programs give loan forgiveness for working in "certain" schools for five years.

Mrs.Goblin

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,522 422 468
Alleybux
If you haven't worked in a African American school setting it's hard to picture but she's not far off. I loved some of my white teachers growing up but now having worked with some I get what she's saying- in my personal experience its almost like why are you here--you give off I don't like black ppl vibes but you're SURROUNDING yourself with them--in an authority position

I’m in DC, so maybe it’s different. Lots of Black ppl in leadership positions and I have close friends who teach. There are valid criticisms to be made, I’m sure, but at the end of the day if they’re good teachers, treat kids and parents with respect, and have some type of racial awareness idgaf about their skin color.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
As a student and former teacher, their presence can go one of two ways

1. They actually care about the educational well being of their students; they take the time to understand their upbringing and limitations they face

2. As someone else mentioned, they come through with a God complex-and make no secret that they are here to "domesticate" these heathen Black and Brown students

I believe it goes both ways too. I myself have never had a white teacher that wasn't racist. I've had some that tried to work past their racism. My first grade teacher who taught me how to read and write was one. She was an excellent teacher who grew up in a rural area. She dedicated her life's work to teaching children and illiterate adults. The other white teachers I really loved were in pre school. Other than that, I've had a lot of white racist teachers.

While teaching in my school system I've seen the ones who care, however it's like they only care so far as the children are concerned. They want the kids to admire them, yet they don't like black adults and coworkers. So they're racist but hide it from the kids. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
It could be due to student loan forgiveness programs for teachers. Some programs give loan forgiveness for working in "certain" schools for five years.

That was a reality in some aspects. However, they don't give out loan forgiveness like they did during the Bush era. No Child Left Behind gave opportunities to a lot of teachers who wanted to work in rural and urban areas. They would give tuition and forgive loans. Now you're luck if they take off 10,000.

Last edited:

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
You’re saying being around well-adjusted, happy children gives you panic attacks. That isn’t normal. Wouldn’t want you teaching my children.

I wouldn't want to teach your children either. Not because of your child, but because of you. I mean that. You are judgmental, ignorant and have a chip on your should about black educators. So keep your kids at home. I'm sure that attitude will rub off onto your offspring. You'd probably be a parent that thinks your child should get away with murder.

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,896 3,656 610
Alleybux
OP, I understand your point. I work at a black college and an older black colleague literally told me the same thing yesterday. Many professors come here with horrible accents that the students can't understand. They do not relate to the students and they are always looking for the next step out. And because this is higher ed, they do verbally abuse the students. I can't post the specific statements I was told, but they have no problem letting it be known that they think the students are subpar.

And yes, they are in some major leadership positions and they get away with it cause we are a lil black college that needs federal and corporate funding.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux

Thank you. You have to work in the school systems to get a feel for what I'm trying to say. There was one white teacher, excellent reading coach, who told a little black child that the Music teacher ( who is black) has a ridiculous hair style.

My first year of teaching the white Spanish teacher who everyone loved, came into my classroom. She had on a small brown purse. One of the boys in my class said hey "Mrs. Jones." Is that a fanny pack? The children in my class being teenagers started laughing. It was the end of school so there were only five kids in the room. I told the kids to be quiet and turn around. Well the white Spanish teacher wasn't having it and replied to the students, " Why would you make fun of my purse?! You don't have to like what I have on, but you don't have to say anything. I don't like some of your hair but at least I don't yell it out!"

Now I understand being upset about the kids picking at you. They try to crack on all the teachers. But why, as a white woman would you crack on black kid's hair? But they swore they loved that white woman.

Last example I witness a white teacher work tirelessly with her black students. They were always up in her face cheesing. Until one day this little black girl stole her i phone. This was back when i phones really expensive. That white woman called her white husband up to school. I guess to whoop some a$$. I don't know. She filed a police report and quit in the middle of the year. The last thing she said was, "After I've done so much for you all."

You know what that white woman who got her phone stolen reminded me of? She reminded me of Mrs. Millie from the Color Purple. You know the time, when Sophia cursed her out. She said, "I've always been good to your people."

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux

You are a non black troll, I can tell by your reps. I'll just say this. The black teachers retired. The white ones get first dibs on the job, they get in and pass it along to their white friends. For instance my first year, a white school system fired several white and non black fine arts teachers. Next thing you know they were all apply for jobs in our system. Not because they wanted to be there. They had nowhere to go. They all came in at the same time.

Last edited:

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
Not sure where you are but I have noticed a lot of young white teachers coming to work at hood schools too. It makes me uncomfortable because I feel like 1-they have this super hero complex like they think they can come "save" little black kids and 2- there are programs where student loans are forgiven if you work 5-10 years at non profit (charter) schools. I always notice that after about that 5 year mark they usually want to suddenly work closer to home...girl just say that your loans are paid off and you don't want to be bothered with the troubled youth "you get so much joy outta helping" anymore. They use our kids and bounce smh.

Plus they have gentrified the area that my school system serves. The whites in the area need places to send their children. They're not going to send them to the public schools. So now they're opening Charter Schools. I think these white teachers are waiting to get into those Charter Schools. Most of them don't teach on the high school level. They're all elementary and K-8 teachers. It is obvious they're replacing us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
4,706 37 4
Alleybux
Plus they have gentrified the area that my school system serves. The white in the area need places to send their children. They're not going to send them to the public schools. So now they opening Charter Schools. Think these white teachers are waiting to get into those Charter Schools. Most of them don't teach on the high school level. They're all elementary and K-8 teachers.
That's the other thing lol they confess so much love for the schools they work at but ironically THEIR KIDS DON'T GO THERE!!!

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
That's the other thing lol they confess so much love for the schools they work at but ironically THEIR KIDS DON'T GO THERE!!!

Thank you so much for understanding where I am coming. I had a music teacher in middle school. She was a young white woman. I believe she came from an upper middle class family. She was one of those popular teachers, who had favorites. She loved her favorites. Anyway that teacher was always pals with the kids. Years later when her daughter got big enough to attend middle school, she left the school system and moved away. Apparently she did not want her child attending the school she taught at. ........which has mostly black children.

This teacher would be dancing and twerking with us before class. When it came to her precious baby, she couldn't let that child be educated with black boys and girls.

GreenVeggies

that was not enough
Reaction score
Reactions
28,713 767 337
Alleybux
This!! The white teachers at my old high school I graduated from a few years ago definitely had very white savior tease complexes about them. They treated everyone like savages and low-key teased and mocked as if everyone except them, white students, and smart preppy black kids were the only ones with sense. They were very condescending and even black teachers acted as if they were better than everyone else

Gumii

i love my computer, it has all my friends in it
Reaction score
Reactions
23,983 630 324
Alleybux
Just came here to say that there was only one white teacher in my ghetto ass school and he was always tired :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I felt sorry for him

sade

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
144,658 7,683 10,557
Alleybux
I grew up in a majority Black area and always had a good percentage of White teachers. Even my HS principal was White. Honestly it was never an issue which is surprising .

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
Just came here to say that there was only one white teacher in my ghetto ass school and he was always tired :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I felt sorry for him

Probably because he didn't like teaching the students there and was burnt out. He didn't bank on the climate of the school. But that is good you felt sorry for that poor teacher at your "ghetto" school. I wonder if he felt sympathy for you.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,706 37 4
Alleybux
So you had ALL black teachers? What state is this? (if you dont mind) cuz thats rare AF, at least for me, but Im in Wisconsin so...LOL

flon25

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,638 1,930 267
Alleybux
I completely understand what you are saying. I worked in that kind of school before and said never again. The school was all black but the teachers were white, except for one other and me. Due to the demographics, we had to have diversity training. You should have heard how they complained and spoke about it in disgust.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
I completely understand what you are saying. I worked in that kind of school before and said never again. The school was all black but the teachers were white, except for one other and me. Due to the demographics, we had to have diversity training. You should have heard how they complained and spoke about it in disgust.

The area around the school system I work in, is being gentrified. That is why so many of them have begun working in the system. They've begun taking old houses in the areas we serve, building them up, charging sky high rent for new apartments and worse, establishing Charter schools. It is obvious they want to take back the school system and make it predominately white again to go along with their gentrified neighborhood. Eventually they're going to push out all the black kids they "care" so much about out into the suburbs they once lived in, the ones that are now falling apart with trash all over the place, and no quality grocery stores. They want a place to send there kids to and work in. The black people just turn another eye and smile in their faces. It is frustrating.

The people who laugh and call me crazy on this thread are apart of the many problems black people have in this country. They're easily fooled and white identified.

flon25

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,638 1,930 267
Alleybux
The area around the school system is being gentrified. That is why so many of them have begun working in the system. They've begun taking old houses in the areas we serve, building them up, charging sky high rent for new apartments and worse, establishing Charter schools. It is obvious they want to take back the school system and make it predominately white again to go along with their gentrified neighborhood. Eventually they're going to push out all the black kids they "care" so much about. They want a place to send there kids to and work in. The black people just turn another eye and smile in their faces. It is frustrating.

The people who laugh and call me crazy on this thread are apart of the many problems black people have in this country. They're easily fooled and white identified.

My situation was a bit different. I taught in Nebraska and there weren’t many black teachers. I worked on the black side of town. I was just surprised at how much disdain they had for the students and the one other black teacher. They did her so wrong.

ive been applying for jobs where I live now, I interviewed at a charter school. The whole school was black and the staff all white. I said no way.

I’d love to work at the kind of school I went to, all black students and all black staff.

I’m just starting over so I will see where my journey takes me, but I really don’t want to be in that kind of environment again. I understand what you are saying, but like you said it’s hard to explain to people that have not been in that position.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
My situation was a bit different. I taught in Nebraska and there weren’t many black teachers. I worked on the black side of town. I was just surprised at how much disdain they had for the students and the one other black teacher. They did her so wrong.

ive been applying for jobs where I live now, I interviewed at a charter school. The whole school was black and the staff all white. I said no way.

I’d love to work at the kind of school I went to, all black students and all black staff.

I’m just starting over so I will see where my journey takes me, but I really don’t want to be in that kind of environment again. I understand what you are saying, but like you said it’s hard to explain to people that have not been in that position.

It is hard to explain. I think a lot of things about education are hard to understand, until you've experience them.

I know that a new school, with an excellent supportive staff is in your cards. I can feel it! You are going to find what you are looking for. Be positive and work hard where you are.

I also understand your situation. I was taught in a situation like yours. As a child I attended a mixed or diverse high school. A lot of the white people left the area. They were getting more black kids. It was obvious the white teachers didn't like us. They were always talking about how well behaved the students used to be. What they really wanted to say was, the white kids were more well behaved.

URObsessed

"Boy bye."
Reaction score
Reactions
10,885 265 9
Alleybux
I taught in the hood and I loved it!!
I made a thread a year ago ready to quit, but I’m glad I finished out my first year (even though COVID messed everything up).
OP, I agree 110%.

My school had half black and white teachers with a sprinkle of other ethnicities. While I did enjoy some of my white colleagues (typically the veteran teachers), most of them were a pain.

They talked about our children like dogs and those parents would be on their ass for being disrespectful. As a first year teacher, I had no issues with my parents because I understood my families and their background. My children excelled academically even when half of them were below grade level (literally half out of 25 students).

They have a savior-complex and when reality sets in, they’re ready to jump ship. I’m thinking about going back to teaching after grad school because I miss it <3

Utopian

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,039 124 23
Alleybux
I also teach at a predominantly Black school. When I first started half a decade ago, I didn’t have an issue with more diverse educators. On paper, it looks good. Then as I started teaching year in and year out, I started seeing a disturbing trend. There are two key issues that I notice.

The first issue that I notice is white teachers acting like they have the solution to every problem. In a way, they act like we Blacks are a burden that they have to carry. They undermined their very own colleagues, which is very disrespectful.

The second issue that I have is a lot of white teachers cannot and do not sympathize with Black scholars. They do not care if our children don’t learn anything. Some of them for sure are just there to collect their paychecks.

My only hope is more Blacks getting into the profession. We don’t get paid a lot, we are not rich, but we are able to live comfortably with our salaries. I hope that doesn’t discourage young, bright Blacks away from the field because it’s up to us to help our youths in the long run.