General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
5,362 3 9
Alleybux
13719369.jpg

Ain't it the truth...

Andy Warhol predicted this over 30 years ago.

There was a time when America loved celebrities...they had such cache' and pinnache. They were the symbols of what we dreamed and desired. Their talent made us pay attention, but today, celebrities can by your next door neighbor--outed on Youtube for cleaning the house in his/her underwear. Reality shows have literally forced great soap operas to be cancelled. Everyone wants to be a a clown. And real talent these days... puuuhhhlllleeeaaassseee . Two words: Justin Bieber. Why is this boy famous? I don't get it...and don't want to. Usher is a pimp and is getting paid, though...

I used to buy a lot of music, but I swear, I can count on both hands just how many cd's I've actually purchased in 5 years.

It was good while it lasted. Saw some great moments in the movies, television and in music growing up, but all good things have to come to an end and I feel that the age of the celebrity is now a thing of the past.

kali_2443

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,869 57 8
Alleybux
Especially with the advent of Facebook, Youtube and Twitter....There's no bridge between celebs and regular peeps anymore...thus celebs becoming passe. You know what they say: "Familiarity breeds contempt"....

Ethereal Star

Beauty of the Night
Reaction score
Reactions
7,843 59 6
Alleybux
They used to be untouchable and their dirty deeds only known by a few. The internet, reality shows, and fixers who make more money telling their secrets instead of keeping them, put themout there just like regular joes.

Jack Deebs

Trapped in the Cool World
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
21,430 12 12
Alleybux
This is a good thing. For too long, celebs have enjoyed the fame and perks. Why not regular people? However, I don't agree with the fact that attention whoring is becoming a prerequisite for being a "celebrity".

Truthangel

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
5,362 3 9
Alleybux
Especially with the advent of Facebook, Youtube and Twitter....There's no bridge between celebs and regular peeps anymore...thus celebs becoming passe. You know what they say: "Familiarity breeds contempt"....

Absolutely...

Even American's Next Top Model. They promote unsigned talent, but models had a pinchent for being "discovered" on the street, at the mall, anywhere...totally unsuspecting. Now, anyone can get a contract--if the "right" people like them.

However, one can't create style...that has to be God given...and the modeling industry is lacking true style and creativity as it once was famous for.

Truthangel

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
5,362 3 9
Alleybux
They used to be untouchable and their dirty deeds only known by a few. The internet, reality shoes, and fixers who make more money telling their secrets instead of keeping them they are out there just like regular joes.

Who would imagine that today's celebrities would embrace Twitter. 10 years ago, many of them could barely understand how to log on to Yahoo.

It's nuts...

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,148 14,029 2,545
Alleybux
This is a good thing. For too long, celebs have enjoyed the fame and perks. Why not regular people? However, I don't agree with the fact that attention whoring is becoming a prerequisite for being a "celebrity".[/QUOTE]

I see you never heard of the Kardashians because that seems to be their claim to fame its not actual talent anymore.

foxychick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,113 39 40
Alleybux
Twitter makes celebs so regular, some of them try to be philosphers on Twitter but end up looking like asses. I guess the saying 'silence is golden' is very true.

Truthangel

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
5,362 3 9
Alleybux
Twitter makes celebs so regular, some of them try to be philosphers on Twitter but end up looking like asses. I guess the saying 'silence is golden' is very true.
'

It is better to thought a fool, than to open your "mouse" and remove all doubt.

Amen...Amen...AMEN!!!

Purrr

i got love for amala
Reaction score
Reactions
94,003 2,887 1,017
Alleybux
Absolutely...

Even American's Next Top Model. They promote unsigned talent, but models had a pinchent for being "discovered" on the street, at the mall, anywhere...totally unsuspecting. Now, anyone can get a contract--if the "right" people like them.

However, one can't create style...that has to be God given...and the modeling industry is lacking true style and creativity as it once was famous for.

Yeah, but the REAL modeling industry is still seen as very prestigious and elusive.

Its well know within the industry that shows and contestants from shows like ANTM are not take seriously. I believe it was Lagerfeld who criticized the show saying those girls would never become REAL models, let alone supermodels, and the judges were not suit to discover such talent and you either have it or you don't.

Like you said, the most well known and sought after models are the ones who were "discovered", walking down the street or shopping in the mall.

The modeling industry is still VERY selective and elitist. I don't know of any ANTM winner or contestant who has actually walked for a MAJOR fashion house or had a major spread. The only ones I know of that have actually had consistent work are Bianca, Danielle and Jaslene.

mee9mee9

a crinkle on earth
Reaction score
Reactions
109,949 6,123 2,206
Alleybux
Yeah, but the REAL modeling industry is still seen as very prestigious and elusive.

Its well know within the industry that shows and contestants from shows like ANTM are not take seriously. I believe it was Lagerfeld who criticized the show saying those girls would never become REAL models, let alone supermodels, and the judges were not suit to discover such talent and you either have it or you don't.

Like you said, the most well known and sought after models are the ones who were "discovered", walking down the street or shopping in the mall.

The modeling industry is still VERY selective and elitist. I don't know of any ANTM winner or contestant who has actually walked for a MAJOR fashion house or had a major spread. The only ones I know of that have actually had consistent work are Bianca, Danielle and Jaslene.
true. when the last time u done seen eva do something? tocarra modeling for king. none of the winners went on to be big time. a few of the cast offs have done stuff. one of the black girls i still see in cover girl ads. i think her name is jessica( idk).

Liberated_Lady

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,762 8 18
Alleybux
I agree with all the above.

I think celebrities forget that when we know everything about them including what they look like butt nekkid (which seems to be the in thing these days) the intrigue disappears. The great celebs of yesterday knew that the best way to leave people wanting more is to carefully craft an alter ego, always hold back and ALWAYS be mysterious. Celebs these days have ALL their business out in the street. They are their own worst enemy and threat to their status.

The sad fact is that 9 times out of 10 when you do get to look past the "illusion" to see the real person, celebs aren't that interesting and in fact, some of them are downright pathetic.

SUPERPOWER

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
18,262 12 31
Alleybux
If people don't leave that damn Justin Bieber alone. There are people out there famous that haven't done sh!t PERIOD and trying to name just 1 thing to verify their celebrity is almost impossible. He was at least discovered from youtube singing and play the guitar.

And people expect too much from celebrities. I'm sorry yall are just now realizing that are humans just like us and the fantasy of them that you created just ain't real. It's like yall just found out Santa wasn't real again. Some of you are upset.

Made to Love

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Reactions
58,237 252 179
Alleybux
I think social media has killed what I grew up knowing as a celebrity. Now, everyone seems so regular. There is no mystery to it anymore. Everyone shares all their business on Twitter or Facebook. And now we have all these pseudo-celebrities like the Kardashians, Jersey Shore people, and so on that get famous for absolutely nothing. And they get rewarded with endorsements and money for doing nothing. And the fact that children look up to that is sad.

I don't see why everyone dogs Justin Bieber out every chance they get. He CAN sing. He's a cute kid with a nice voice. The children love him and that's all that matters. He's not for adults to like. I saw this clip on TV and I can see what people see in him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av87tws8Iys]YouTube - Justin Bieber Never Say Never Movie Clip "Avon Theater" Official (HD)[/ame]

SAIHAA

STRAIGHT TALKER NO CHASER
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
75,505 1,368 1,746
Alleybux
So much is changing and for those in the entertainment industry who refuse to change with the times, they will be left behind. Look at how they are canceling daytime soaps? Reality TV is taking over and they will start getting rid of prime-time dramas, too. American idol stars are selling more records then artists who have been in the game for years. I am kind of glad, though. I think some artists in music and TV take this all for granted.

SAIHAA

STRAIGHT TALKER NO CHASER
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
75,505 1,368 1,746
Alleybux
I remember as a kid buying Word Up!, The Source, Vibe, etc. to read up on my favorite artists. Once I grew up and had my own life to worry about I lost interest. But now I see those same celebs telling their business from a to z on twitter. I think that's a great thing, especially for the young fans of today. I feel like celebs should embrace a more down to earth relationship with fans.

I think social media has killed what I grew up knowing as a celebrity. Now, everyone seems so regular. There is no mystery to it anymore. Everyone shares all their business on Twitter or Facebook. And now we have all these pseudo-celebrities like the Kardashians, Jersey Shore people, and so on that get famous for absolutely nothing. And they get rewarded with endorsements and money for doing nothing. And the fact that children look up to that is sad.

I don't see why everyone dogs Justin Bieber out every chance they get. He CAN sing. He's a cute kid with a nice voice. The children love him and that's all that matters. He's not for adults to like. I saw this clip on TV and I can see what people see in him.

YouTube - Justin Bieber Never Say Never Movie Clip "Avon Theater" Official (HD)

Sin Verguenza

BigTFromTheGroupHome
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
184,760 2,578 1,102
Alleybux
Like others have said, Twitter Facebook and all these gossip rags have made celebrities regular.

Now we have at least 20 award shows a year for music alone and celebrities show up to each and every one of them hoping to be photographed, back in the day, the megastars only showed up at the Grammys.

I dont want to know the excruciating minutiae of my favorite star's day, just let me know when the album's dropping

nicoledee

N.V. likes your font.
Reaction score
Reactions
48,993 116 88
Alleybux
My disgust with celebrities come with all the foolish sh!t that falls out of their mouths. There was a time when celebrities had this air of mystery about them. Now they just continuously say dumb sh!t. I am sick of ugly dark celeb men saying only high yellow/white females are weren't their time. And I'm tired of female celebs thinking it's ok to put their whoring on display and talk about it like it's cute. And I'm tired of people being famous for no damn reason (xes tapes and reality shows don't make you special).

zefronlover2012

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,798 1
Alleybux
well its about time. i was really getting sick and damn tired of people treating celebrities like they were the best thing in the world since slice bread. I mean those celebrities arent no different from you and i. they eat,sleep,sh!t, fµck, and piss just like the real of us do the only difference is that sometimes it talked about sometimes not.

stonash7

BIG MJ FAN
Reaction score
Reactions
15,547 21 9
Alleybux
great point.... that why a appreciate janet jackson so much, her silence intrigues me..you never know whats really going on..one can only assume and imagine..the rest of them not so much...............

AlexandriaDiva

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,730 7 10
Alleybux

I think that Tyra realized this and the last two seasons have had major upgrades.

Andre Leon Talley is on the judges panel and he is one of the most powerful men in the fashion industry. Karl Lagerfield may be great, but ALT is part of the group of people rating designers and deciding what's hot i.e. Vogue, the bible of fashion.

One of the prizes is a spread in Italian Vogue which will provide a more exclusive level of exposure for the winner.

So, I think that whoever is on there now and serious about their craft can really be successful if they get in good with ALT and Vogue.

AlexandriaDiva

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,730 7 10
Alleybux

YouTube - Justin Bieber Never Say Never Movie Clip "Avon Theater" Official (HD)

I agree with you. I am not a Bieber fan by any stretch of the imagination but I give him credit for his talent. He plays the drums and guitar, sings and writes music (supposedly he is the primary writer on his first album).

Little JJ

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
5,872 9 6
Alleybux
Video Killed the Radio Star.

Internet Killed the Star

Purrr

i got love for amala
Reaction score
Reactions
94,003 2,887 1,017
Alleybux
I think that Tyra realized this and the last two seasons have had major upgrades.

Andre Leon Talley is on the judges panel and he is one of the most powerful men in the fashion industry. Karl Lagerfield may be great, but ALT is part of the group of people rating designers and deciding what's hot i.e. Vogue, the bible of fashion.

One of the prizes is a spread in Italian Vogue which will provide a more exclusive level of exposure for the winner.

So, I think that whoever is on there now and serious about their craft can really be successful if they get in good with ALT and Vogue.

Wow! For real, Tyra nabbed Andre? Honestly, I stopped tuning into ANTM around the time she just handed that win to Saleisha. :disdain:

But WOW, I had no idea she had upped the prizes and the judging panel. Having Andre there is VERY impressive, I know some people criticized her when Janice left saying she was the only notable judge but Andre Leon Talley trumps her any day.

Dark Rose

<span style="display: inline-block; filter:progid:
Reaction score
Reactions
110,980 53 47
Alleybux
Don't forget these dumbs reality shows basically someone holding a camera and fliming you or people will make you a star **smh**

But most of the time the people sitting and complaining about it are supporting these people, think about it now, no shade. The lackluster non-talent having indiviuals, that is. MJ has to be rolling in his grave because we don't applaud, admire, and like celebrities for their talent anymore.

We only pick and choose our favorite celebs based on who we can take home and play playstation with, relate you mentally or physically or jusy choose based on who we like or dislike and nine times out of ten most of the reasons HAVE NOTHING to do with their profession. I blame the industry but I also blame US the so called conscious consumers of the world, we make them famous we bash or ignore the celebs with actually talent that's basically what we've morphed into as a American culture it's gross, but no one feels bad about it either.

Kenyata_1961

Continuing to enjoy retirement.
Reaction score
Reactions
47,749 4,431 738
Alleybux
The sad fact is that 9 times out of 10 when you do get to look past the "illusion" to see the real person, celebs aren't that interesting and in fact, some of them are downright pathetic.
You said a MOUTH-FULL here.

In all my years coming across the paths of pro ballers, celebs/entertainers, singers, most--say 90%--are not as you would BELIEVE them to be. Some are even WORSE (especially in the sports field) up close and personal. Thank God I no longer have to come in contact with many of them anymore.

unbreakable

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
114,160 2,126 1,113
Alleybux

...And there it is! There is no mystery anymore.

Lily22

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,254 193 36
Alleybux
I agree with you. Although I am not to sorry that celebs have lost clout and respect. Many of them didn't deserve it anyway and it was sad to see how much people worshiped them (and still do in some cases). Even though I am glad about that, I am still sorry that untalented morons have taken over. Great talent has gone out the window and mediocrity is acceptable.

Made to Love

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Reactions
58,237 252 179
Alleybux
I remember as a kid buying Word Up!, The Source, Vibe, etc. to read up on my favorite artists. Once I grew up and had my own life to worry about I lost interest. But now I see those same celebs telling their business from a to z on twitter. I think that's a great thing, especially for the young fans of today. I feel like celebs should embrace a more down to earth relationship with fans.

I think the lack of mystery is why we don't have superstars anymore. I remember being like in awe of Michael Jackson when I was a child. He felt like some kinda superhero. I even remember being into the Backstreet Boys and they felt a bit untouchable to me. That made me want them even more. Now you can just go on Twitter and say hey to these people like they're your friends. It can be fun, but ehh...

ex_xoj333

ex_xoj333
Reaction score
Reactions
18,390 102 15
Alleybux
well the whole concept of celebrity is made up anyway. it's an illusion of this supernova star type person that is perfect and can do no wrong and not like 'us regular mortals' because of their talents. that could be easily sold before, but not now.before we didn't have access to behind the scenes, and it wasn't as easy to get your pictures touched up so you could look perfect (now everyone can own Photoshop and you learn the tricks) and we know now that interviews are rehearsed. Whenever people endorse products, we know now that they don't TRULY believe in the product their endorsing much less really use it. The Entertainment biz isn't as 'unreachable' as it once used to be. We now know the tricks and people are treating it too much like a business instead of an art (at least the popular ones). And because we have constant access to stars it doesn't feel special, absence makes the heart grow fonder but you have celebs that are always in your face and it gets boring after a while. the internet also hasn't helped with the constant access to these stars. you also don't have people doing mindblowing amazing things like the moonwalk or singing like whitney houston or mariah...but the whole thing in general is played out anyway of making movie stars and singers 'heros' just because of their talent.

also we're at a point where people have more things to worry about than celebs and their 'groundbreaking' fashion and music vids and etc. andy warhol was popular in the glamor era of Reagan...with the current economic slump and overall downward spiral of things, we don't have the 'luxury' of being interested in glamor and the larger then life roles these celebrities constantly shove down people's throats.

3rdWardTrill

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
17,380 10 9
Alleybux
You said a MOUTH-FULL here.

In all my years coming across the paths of pro ballers, celebs/entertainers, singers, most--say 90%--are not as you would BELIEVE them to be. Some are even WORSE (especially in the sports field) up close and personal. Thank God I no longer have to come in contact with many of them anymore.

I believe you, and that's why the celebs that I am a fan of, I am a fan of their work. I don't know them apart from their craft. I don't need them to be perfect, as long they make good music or perform well and whatever that is entertaining, that's all that matters.

3rdWardTrill

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
17,380 10 9
Alleybux
I think the lack of mystery is why we don't have superstars anymore. I remember being like in awe of Michael Jackson when I was a child. He felt like some kinda superhero. I even remember being into the Backstreet Boys and they felt a bit untouchable to me. That made me want them even more. Now you can just go on Twitter and say hey to these people like they're your friends. It can be fun, but ehh...

I agree and labels knew how to market that too. That's why the media would only go but so far in their expose about them. And allow people to care about the product and not so much outside the product.

Now BTW, we do have superstars but more rare than back in the day.

HeyGirl2025

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,375 59 10
Alleybux
I remember back in the days(90's) i used to always buy VHS tapes and record videos,interviews,tv shows of any of my favorite celebs. I had stacks of tapes of TLC,old moesha episodes,award shows from the 90's, just everything. I still have them in my storage. I even recorded all the MJ(Bulls) championship games.

but NOW, i can't tell you the last time i even recorded a music video,interview,award show,etc. No interest. I remember being so hyped to see the TLC "No Scrubs" video. lol Man, those were the days. All i did was record sh*t. I actually went outside alot more too, used to fly kites,BBQ,swim,bike ride,everything. But i was young then so. Now, everything is just kinda blah.