Quantcast

Characterization Mistakes

BrownCapital

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
48,345 1,900 1,905
Alleybux
I am currently in the process of trying to develop my characters and I keep finding that I lean on common stereotypes and tropes of characters.

What are things to avoid? Or some tips? And what are some common tropes or stereotypes about young black girls and boys that appear in books (or elsewhere) to avoid?

sunburnt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,919 1,042 503
Alleybux
What genre are you writing in? Why and how do you find yourself stereotyping your black characters?

In general, writers (black included) need to stop explaining their black characters reasons for being on the page. Just let them be black and get on with the actual story. White characters can just be. The author never has to say rationalize their white characters and everything is just sort of assumed. Their race never has to be mentioned or implicate the novel.

BrownCapital

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
48,345 1,900 1,905
Alleybux
What genre are you writing in? Why and how do you find yourself stereotyping your black characters?

In general, writers (black included) need to stop explaining their black characters reasons for being on the page. Just let them be black and get on with the actual story. White characters can just be. The author never has to say rationalize their white characters and everything is just sort of assumed. Their race never has to be mentioned or implicate the novel.

Low concept Fantasy. I just want to know what stereotypes to avoid when writing young black characters. I know one is for young black boys being athletic or wanting to rap. So I am gonna think outside the box a bit.

Electric Lady

Bayou Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
24,065 7 3
Alleybux
Hmm. I would recommend doing one of those character sheets. What does your character like, dislike, what motivates them, what do they fear, that sort of thing. Build their identity outside of their race, make them human first.

Miel007

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,702 650 329
Alleybux
I am currently in the process of trying to develop my characters and I keep finding that I lean on common stereotypes and tropes of characters.

What are things to avoid? Or some tips? And what are some common tropes or stereotypes about young black girls and boys that appear in books (or elsewhere) to avoid?
please don't make the black boy hypersexual for no discernible reason.
another thing i'm tired to see is characterisation by culture.i'm sure all jamaicans are not laidback,cool,carefree reggae people with dreadlocks longer than mine.you get my gist?subvert stereotypes and if you engage in them,add a good explanation for it.