Quantcast

Charles Barkley is 'sick and tired' of student-athletes getting told 'free education is nothing'

Summer Sweetie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
315,874 45,160 6,446
Alleybux
Charles Barkley on Saturday night highlighted the value of getting a free education as student-athletes in college basketball launched their fight in hopes of compensating from their names, images and likenesses (NIL).

Barkley disagreed with people who say that getting free education was nothing.

"Education, to me, that’s my biggest gripe. When these people on television talk about who should get paid or not … I get sick and tired of people telling these young kids getting a free education is nothing," he said during the NCAA Men’s Tournament broadcast on TBS.

"That’s total BS in my opinion. The NCAA got some issues and they’re not perfect, but to tell kids especially young Black kids that getting a free education is nothing is ridiculous and stupid."

Barkley has been a proponent of highlighting the importance of the free education part for young student-athletes.

He made the same point in an interview with Graham Bensinger in April 2016.

"I do this little science experiment when I speak at schools. Let’s say I’m at a white school. I ask how many kids want to play pro sports. Less than 10 percent raised their hand. They say they want to be doctors, lawyers, engineers. But when I speak at predominantly black schools 90 percent of kids want to play sports," he said in that interview.

"There are a couple that say they want to be doctors which makes me really proud. Our kids are brainwashed if they think they can only play sports or be entertainers. You gotta a better chance to be a doctor or a lawyer than playing in the NBA. There are 400 players in the NBA. What are the chances you are going to be one of the 400 players in the world? I’m not trying to bash their dreams, I wish everybody can do it, but you also have to be realistic. You are not going to play in the NBA; who are we kidding."

College basketball stars launched their campaign to get compensated for their names, images and likenesses this week and tweeted their demands.

Michigan’s Isaiah Livers wore a T-shirt supporting the fight before the Wolverines’ game.

philly3

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,965 554 102
Alleybux
For once, I agree with Charles. Yes, it would be nice if the students got compensated since they make the universities a lot of money but the education/connections/networking aspects of it can really make a positive difference in these young athletes live with to without a contract.

Thelma Evans

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,555 100 165
Alleybux
I get his point, but he is comparing apples to oranges. Those students have made it and their colleges and the NCAA are profiting off of their names. They should be compensated. Reminds me of the Fab 5 when the University of Michigan and every sports store made millions off of their jerseys and they did not receive a dime. Chris Webber once said he was in the lunchroom and had to put back a sandwich because he didn’t have enough money, but then walked past the book store and saw his jersey on sale for $50.

BigMikeHere

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,615 2,251 1,807
Alleybux
I hate to agree with this ignorant, self hating, SOB Tom on anything but he's right on this.
Though his experience is different as he recieved a ton of help from boosters financially under the table, unlike your regular student athlete.
On the record, I loathe this oaf!

Last edited:

Summer Sweetie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
315,874 45,160 6,446
Alleybux
For once, I agree with Charles. Yes, it would be nice if the students got compensated since they make the universities a lot of money but the education/connections/networking aspects of it can really make a positive difference in these young athletes live with to without a contract.
I see your and his point but then to call it "free education "is laughable.

It's not free if athletes are providing a service the university greatly benefits from, which they do.

Words mean things and I peep what's he is trying to do by calling it that..

Sebastian

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,603 877 115
Alleybux
The value they're providing the school is much bigger than the education being provided.

Using their likeness in games that can sell for years after they graduate is criminal. Give them their money.

Anohana

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
142,637 2,474 784
Alleybux
In this case I disagree. Many of the revenue sports athletes are not getting STEM or other degrees that would be useful in the job market should their professional athletic career fail to materialize. And unlike other college students, many of them are restricted get side jobs to have some side money. In addition, a good amount of the pro-bound revenue sport athletes leave by their junior year and don’t even get their degree meanwhile the school is making hundreds of thousands off your name. They can’t even utilize the free education in a way that would benefit them.

ChocolateCandi

Blackistan is a Mysoginistic Country
Reaction score
Reactions
36,740 2,326 1,255
Alleybux
I can definitely see where Charles Barkley is coming from. Should athletes get a stipend? Yes, just like any college student doing a paid internship. However, I don’t agree with them getting a salary.

UnderstatedBri

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
255,909 4,018 3,156
Alleybux
The education the get should be valued... because long after school, and the NBA they can always fall back on it. But the should be compensated as well, as much people make it to the professional teams, many more don't.
No student working that hard should be broke, but at the same time I can see how the money might blind them from what is important. So why not compensate them and but it in a trust for when they leave school.

somerando

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,011 535 359
Alleybux
This is always a tricky topic but I still believe that if you are using someone's face or likeness to make money, that person should be paid.

IMO the only real solution is for the NBA G-league to become the default option for players that want to start making money playing basketball and leave the 4-year scholarships for people who want degrees.

People will talk about valuing education but at the big schools, I'm sure the basketball coach is making way more than the actual professors

Last edited:

Lyra

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
113,880 1,193 960
Alleybux
I don't know what his overall stance on players getting paid is but here, he's not saying that the players shouldn't be compensated, just that they and their supporters should not be putting forth the notion that the free education these players are receiving is meaningless or worthless.

I agree with him. If the players want to be compensated, I think that's fine but don't deride the free education being given in the process. Education is important and it goes beyond a job.

Hexa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
105,757 6,634 2,563
Alleybux
An education is worth millions in lifetime earnings. It's probably the most valuable things you can possess in life.

Reaction score
Reactions
5,027 212 199
Alleybux
THOSE KIDS SHOULD HAVE A GENEROUS FOOD STIPEND/OTHER AMENITIES AND A TRUST SET UP FOR THEM AND MAYBE A PERCENTAGE OF THAT KICKED OUT TO THE PARENTS, ALONG WITH A FREE EDUCATION.

THEY ARE ROBBING THESE ATHLETES AND THEY SHOULD BE PROSECUTED!!!

#JESUSBEALOOPHOLE

mystic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
162,858 4,589 1,438
Alleybux
I think the athletes should get paid for use of their likeness. But I do agree that some of these college athletes need to take their education more seriously. He's right that only a handful will make it as a pro. You don't know how many former players I've seen who thought they were going to the league are working in the mall or some other retail store or end up going to jail. They major in something basic like Comms or Sociology and put all their focus on sports and partying. Sports is the only reason many of them even consider going to college. Then when the dream doesn't materialize, they struggle and flounder because they didn't even think about a Plan B.

TennisKing

King Of All Tennis
Reaction score
Reactions
265,387 7,062 6,468
Alleybux
Charles is always talking out the side of his hotdog neck about black people. It would be one thing if his hatred wasn't on full display every time he spoke about the black community but his appetite for white women and being a sellout makes his opinions null and void. The NCAA makes a billion dollars a year but don't want to pay college athletes, they need to be held accountable.

And nobody should discount the value of education but we can do two things at the same time. Criticize the NCAA for profiting off the backs of college athletes while stressing the importance of education. Charles always see's the bad in anything black. I can't stand him.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,527 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
I think the education should be assigned a value and it is valuable BUT if they are making jerseys and such ... the student should get a subset of that money on top of the education. It also depends on what school they are going to cos if they playing at USC or a really expensive school ... that education has a lot more value than education for someone playing at SUNY Albany. Doors will open to the person from USC than someone from SUNY Albany plus the school probably determines if you going pro anyways.

MARY SIBLEY

“Elaine Parks alter”
Reaction score
Reactions
79,534 7,445 6,705
Alleybux
What do these student athlete get? Free tuition, books, supplies, dorm room and food?

They should also get a stipend like the military kids.

Do they get food? They better be getting food!

Letscook11

Me So Corny
Reaction score
Reactions
54,193 1,992 632
Alleybux
There were hardly any other black people in my engineering program. Too many black kids, especially black males think they will be ballers or rappers but that's not going to happen. There are literally thousands of engineering positions around the country that are not filled.

Hinging all our hopes and dreams on "athletes" is shooting ourselves in the foot.

CocoG8v8

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,523 2,810 1,008
Alleybux
He's def. not wrong. They get free education, with tutors, meal cards, free room and board, and are looking to get paid? Athletics make a butt ton of money for institutions, but they get a lot of money from other things. University of Chicago is a prime example of getting rid of athletics and still striving. A lot of the institutions these athletes attend are top notch schools and really can stand without the contributions of sports. The endowments on these schools are billions of dollars, Emory University has a damn near $8 BILLION endowment without any premiere sports programs.

Schools don't need athletics, and you shouldn't be getting paid at an amateur level. I question these arguments because they are mainly made by footballers, who major in Pottery, make 9 children, and are waiting to be drafted so they can finally take care of everyone, when that is just as s backwards. This is just another example of black men side stepping responsibility.

StuckInBrum

New and Improved
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
124,978 7,361 12,218
Alleybux

I honestly think these kids getting paid will further corrupt the system. People talk a lot about these highly talented black athletes going to an HBCU... if money was involved would these HBCUS be able to compete? Start paying these athletes and HBCUS will never see a decent athlete on their campus.

StuckInBrum

New and Improved
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
124,978 7,361 12,218
Alleybux
The value they're providing the school is much bigger than the education being provided.

Using their likeness in games that can sell for years after they graduate is criminal. Give them their money.

I disagree. I watched that documentary on Netflix on the school admissions scandal and the schools these boys are being admitted to people are “donating” millions for their kids to get into.
Stanford
Duke
USC
UCLA
Harvard
UPenn

I believe these kids should get a full scholarship and food stipend but that’s it. And if you’re a person who wants to see more athletes going to HBCUS they wont if Stanford and USC starts paying players.

Last edited:

WMorgan_23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,303 4,945 7,173
Alleybux
I agree with Barkley 100 percent. You get a free education, free boarding, most of these athletes are getting gifted under the table. The college athletes I knew didn’t even do their own work & got a degree for nothing. I don’t believe college athletes should be paid. But they definitely should be taken care of for food, doctor bills, etc.

Loeny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,768 6,962 11,545
Alleybux
Let's be honest here... the athletes THEMSELVES are not there for an education, with minor exceptions of course.
The ones who DO earn a degree get it after being given all types of "accommodations".
I say, ok compensate but don't educate unless they pay. Make college a feeder league where players can get moved up to the pros if good enough.

Coco rocha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,389 6,191 1,175
Alleybux
College is expensive. Those who are talented enough to earn sports scholarships, should take full advantage of it, study something substantial and have serious backup plan in case they don't make it in the league.

wanderwoman

alleybuxstrugglelife
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
319,304 7,868 3,409
Alleybux
The highest paid person in my state government was the Men's college basketball coach.

Pay those kids.

ATLxLIB

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,464 1,448 2,087
Alleybux
He's def. not wrong. They get free education, with tutors, meal cards, free room and board, and are looking to get paid? Athletics make a butt ton of money for institutions, but they get a lot of money from other things. University of Chicago is a prime example of getting rid of athletics and still striving. A lot of the institutions these athletes attend are top notch schools and really can stand without the contributions of sports. The endowments on these schools are billions of dollars, Emory University has a damn near $8 BILLION endowment without any premiere sports programs.

Schools don't need athletics, and you shouldn't be getting paid at an amateur level. I question these arguments because they are mainly made by footballers, who major in Pottery, make 9 children, and are waiting to be drafted so they can finally take care of everyone, when that is just as s backwards. This is just another example of black men side stepping responsibility.
U of C and Emory are ELITE institutions. It's not fair to compare them to the other 99%. The other schools need sports as they aren't getting millions in research funding nor do they have billions on hand already. But yes U of C, Emory, WashU etc. don't need sports now do any of the other top schools.

TERRASTAR18

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
174,901 5,785 4,542
Alleybux
the issue is education is being used to exploit them.

TERRASTAR18

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
174,901 5,785 4,542
Alleybux

I see your and his point but then to call it "free education "is laughable.

It's not free if athletes are providing a service the university greatly benefits from, which they do.

Words mean things and I peep what's he is trying to do by calling it that..
this and this. he gives a damn about an education. he is just doing his standard tapdancing for his white pay masters

Ms. TellUNoLies

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
96,812 1,121 196
Alleybux
Charles is always talking out the side of his hotdog neck about black people. It would be one thing if his hatred wasn't on full display every time he spoke about the black community but his appetite for white women and being a sellout makes his opinions null and void. The NCAA makes a billion dollars a year but don't want to pay college athletes, they need to be held accountable.

And nobody should discount the value of education but we can do two things at the same time. Criticize the NCAA for profiting off the backs of college athletes while stressing the importance of education. Charles always see's the bad in anything black. I can't stand him.
Exactly. CB is a self hater. So his opinion holds little water here. Is education important? Yes. But so is the value of your name amd likeness. College athletics is a billion dollar industry. A college BB/FB player can't even leave a school to play at another school without being penalized. Why? It's not like that for all other sports.

Why should the NCAA own these players name and likeness? Most of these kids will never see professional leagues. I like the idea of a monthly stipend percentage based on their memorabilia sales with some placed in some type of savings account until they leave school. But I also believe that once they leave, be that graduate or go professional then they own their name and likeness. Then the NCAA and player can workout a deal to continue using their name and likeness. The NCAA shouldn't be able to profit off them into perpetuity.