Quantcast

Chicago pays $22.5 MILLION to woman who was gang raped and plummeted from seventh story window after

The Interloper

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,336 1,054 72
Alleybux
Chicago pays $22.5 MILLION to woman who was gang raped and plummeted from seventh story window after police failed to take proper care of her

• City agrees today to give the staggering sum to Christina Eilman who was released from police custody into a high-crime area where she was gang raped and plummeted from a seventh floor window
  • Eilman, who is bipolar, should have been taken to a mental hospital for an exam but cops ignored NINE phone calls from her parents
  • The woman, who is now 27-years-old, suffered permanent brain damage from her fall and now needs constant medical attention
  • The settlement is the largest in city history
  • Chicago also paid out $10.25 million today to Alton Logan, who spent 26 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit
  • He alleged that police withheld evidence that would have set him free decades earlier
  • Police commander involved in his case was later sent to prison for lying about torturing suspects
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 15:52 EST, 15 January 2013 | UPDATED: 18:49 EST, 15 January 2013

The city of Chicago agreed today to pay a record $22.5 million to a woman who was released from police custody in 2006 and instead of being taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, she was released into a high crime area where she was gang raped and plummeted seven stories.

Christina Eilman, was 21-years-old when the crime occurred and she suffered permanent brain damage from the fall and has needed constant medical care ever since.

Eilman, who is bipolar, was taken into police custody at Midway Airport after suffering a mental breakdown on her flight from California.
Scroll down for video

article-2262958-16F6229A000005DC-619_640x527.jpg
Trauma: Here's Christina Eilman shortly after she was raped and plummeted from a seventh story window. She was released by cops instead of being taken to a mental hospital for an evaluation. The city of Chicago agreed today to give her $22.5 million

Rather than bring Eilman to a hospital, police released her after 29 hours in custody, despite her parents calling at least nine times to warn them about her mental health status and that she was having an episode.

Police later testified at a deposition hearing that she was visibly agitated and should have been taken to the hospital. Witnesses said she was throwing herself against the bars in her jail cell.

article-2262958-16F6419E000005DC-993_638x424.jpg
Horror: This is the Chicago building where Christina Eilman plummeted, resulting permanent brain damage

Eilman, a former UCLA student, was released near a housing project in a crime-ridden neighborhood on the city's notorious South Side when she encountered the xes fiends who attacked her.
She was dressed in just short shorts, a cutoff top and boots and was without her cellphone.
After being gang raped at knifepoint, she either fell or was pushed from a seven-story window, she suffered severe brain trauma and the 27-year-old will not recover.

article-2262958-16F6BD63000005DC-69_642x503.jpg
Better times: Christina Eilman is smiling as she's surrounded by her parents before she was brutally assaulted and left for dead

'I’m embarrassed to think that a poor girl like this would have been so callously treated by members of the Chicago Police Department,' Alderman Edward Burke said, according to CBS/Chicago.
Her family had been seeking as much as $100 million in damages for pain and suffering and to cover Eilman's never-ending medical bills.

article-2262958-16F6B2D4000005DC-581_638x598.jpg
Before the tragedy: Here's Christina Eilman a few months before she was attacked and forever changed

article-2262958-16F6BBE3000005DC-606_644x525.jpg
Never the same: Eilman's scar from tracheotomy is visible in this recent photo.

Gang member Marvin Powell was convicted of abducting Eilman but not xesually assaulting her or causing her to go out the window.

Sick: Gang member Marvin Powell was convicted of kidnapping Eilman

He served part of a 12-year sentence before being paroled last spring.
Eilman's settlement was one of two major payouts by the Illinois city today.

Alton Logan will receive $10.25 million for spending 26 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit.
POLICE MISCONDUCT: SUMMARY OF TWO CASES

Christina Eilman received $22.5 million.

She was taken into police custody in 2006 after suffering a bipolar episode.

Instead of being taken for a psychiatric evaluation, police kept her overnight and then released her into a high-crime area.

She was then gang raped and plummeted from a seventh story window. Eilman, now 27, suffered permanent brain damage.

Alton Logan received $10.25 million for

In 1982, Logan was arrested for shooting a security guard during a robbery. He was later convicted despite there being no physical evidence against him.

He was later charged in a lawsuit that police knew another man possessed the dead security guard's weapon but kept that information quiet,keeping Logan behind bars.

Logan was arrested in 1982 for shooting Lloyd Wickliffe, an off-duty Cook County corrections officer who was working as a security guard, during a robbery attempt at a McDonald’s restaurant.
Despite no physical evidence linking him to the crime, Logan was convicted.
He later alleged a cover-up engineered by police Commander Jon Burge.
Burge was later sent to federal prison for lying about abusing and torturing suspects.

Logan was freed in April 2008 after lawyers for Andrew Wilson — a convicted cop killer — revealed that he had admitted to killing Wickliffe.
The attorneys didn't come forward until Wilson died in prison in 2007 because of their oath of confidentiality.

Logan alleged that cops who arrested Wilson knew he had Wickliffe's .38-caliber gun that was stolen off him after he was murdered.
The two settlements came after the city's alderman agreed at a vote this afternoon.
“As I sit here today, I’m both embarrassed and ashamed,” said Finance Committee Chairman Edward M. Burke, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
'It is time to put this behind us — and we are trying diligently to put these cases behind us,' city lawyer Stephen Patton said today.
'But, we have to be very dilligent for the next type of misconduct, for the next type of practice that could lead to exposure.

'We are trying to be on the top of the next [type of misconduct] And hopefully, nothing will be as egregious as Burge,' Patton said at the alderman hearing.

Innocent: Alton Logan spent more than a quarter century behind bars for a murder he didn't commit.

article-2262958-16F6229E000005DC-101_642x602.jpg
Coverup: Former Chicago police commander Jon Burge is serving four and a half years in federal prison for lying about torturing suspects.

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,602 4,240 1,018
Alleybux
That ain't enough! :arrogant:

They should bankrupt the whole city over that mess!

But stuff like these two cases is why folks hate cops.

Moral Police

Black and White
Reaction score
Reactions
35,103 1,428 2,191
Alleybux
This reminds me of the Mitrice Richardson case in CA, except she ended up DEAD after being released from police custody while going through an episode. Sad!

awwwsugar

In da name of da moon... wut did u say ninga?
Reaction score
Reactions
35,568 1,795 1,132
Alleybux
Smh! Chitown anit right. My friend just moved up there yesterday! I'ma have to pray for her! :no:

textual healing

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
1,888 83
Alleybux
Ugh, please don't tell me they sent her to Robert Taylor. Horrible place.

Butterflyj82

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
441,637 29,017 1,300
Alleybux
This is really sad and it's sad she won't even be able to enjoy the money. And I wonder did Mitrice Richardsons's family get any money. I bet if they start taking the money out of these cops paychecks they will get themselves together really quick

Mskstrong

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
4,033 42 2
Alleybux
The City has blown through the money they set aside to pay off lawsuits this year. In less than a month. They are gonna have to include some ass with all those bonds they're selling to cover this.

Seriously though, with the large amount of police cameras set up around the city, I have yet to see anything about footage of cop-related shootings as well. Seems to take a glaciers pace to retrieve that footage after a cop shoots someone.

KID SISTER

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,437 11 3
Alleybux
Did she even live in Chicago at all or was she just at Midway Airport b/c of a flight lay over? Why in the world did they drop her off some where other than home or a safe place :no:

enchanted

Fall is Beautiful
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
345,871 13,203 10,054
Alleybux
Somehow, Obama will be blamed for this.

I'm telling you, Chitown will ALWAYS be a corrupt and fµcked up place, even with flyover state whites.

It's history will never change. :no:

BerryAddict

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,128 4 1
Alleybux
I am literally crying over this right now. The poor girl. No amount of money can compensate for the injustice she's suffered, but at least her family won't go bankrupt paying for her care. And here I thought Chicago was a great place. Yikes.

MochaTwist

Not today, Satan
Reaction score
Reactions
90,646 970 122
Alleybux
This reminds me of the Mitrice Richardson case in CA, except she ended up DEAD after being released from police custody while going through an episode. Sad!

This is what I thought of as well. This whole thing is just so sad. :no:

bigbuttjudi

Cali Girl in a DC World
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
103,688 2,515 879
Alleybux
good lawd! what the fµck is wrong with police around the country?? the ones in LA aren't any better! they put a black woman off in malibu somewhere...who was also mentally off...and her family never heard from her again. i THINK later on her body was found.

i can't stand cops. and i know all aren't bad...but enough of them are...and the ones who aren't, seem to always defend the ones who are bad. black, white, asian or latin, i don't ever trust a cop.

they are supposed to be there to protect and serve. how do they attract sooooo many low integrity fuckers!?? putting this woman off in a neighborhood that isn't hers? ignoring her parent's calls. i mean, how can so many mean spirited fuckers all work in the same line of work??? disgusting.

Killa

Killa THIS, Killa THAT
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
108,843 4,642 2,616
Alleybux
This is horrible! Poor girl. Money means nothing, her parents must be besides themselves. She's a beautiful girl.

Soca Priestess

High Ranking Socatologist
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
265,466 2,958 645
Alleybux
sh!tty ass cops. If that was my kid, I would want heads on a platter. :no:

Miami Tyse

Chrissy Jones is my BAWSE
Reaction score
Reactions
9,420 129 203
Alleybux
Wow, both these stories are said. I absolutely hate the police, and its for reasons like this. When they put that badge on they feel so invincible, use no common sense, and are often heartless and ruthless. They don't know how to use common sense in many dangerous situations because they focus all their time giving out traffic/registration tickets and profiling minorities. I put the police right up there with the KKK.

Fearless Leader

PreCRETHA Cagiano
Reaction score
Reactions
46,249 1,998 632
Alleybux

and yes, she's black... with no apparent settlements, confessions or resolution in this case!!!

god bless this child and protect these women

I know this happened to a young family member in Detroit recently and nothing has been done!!!

Moral Police

Black and White
Reaction score
Reactions
35,103 1,428 2,191
Alleybux
and yes, she's black... with no apparent settlements, confessions or resolution in this case!!!
god bless this child and protect these women

I know this happened to a young family member in Detroit recently and nothing has been done!!!

Jesus...

There was a settlement for $900k in 2011.

This girl's family obviously should get more because the girl is still alive and they need that money to pay for her care for the rest of her life.

SexyLeo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
9,661 134 66
Alleybux
Why the fµck did they just release her! Could she not call someone. I thought the police had to baker act someone if they are having mental issues.

takis chips

HOT & SPICY
Reaction score
Reactions
3,873 25 8
Alleybux
Put these thugs down. If they act like animals..why treat them like humans? Injection.

Fidel Cashflow

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
2,043 31 18
Alleybux
Chicago pays $22.5 MILLION to woman who was gang raped and plummeted from seventh story window after police failed to take proper care of her

• City agrees today to give the staggering sum to Christina Eilman who was released from police custody into a high-crime area where she was gang raped and plummeted from a seventh floor window
  • Eilman, who is bipolar, should have been taken to a mental hospital for an exam but cops ignored NINE phone calls from her parents
  • The woman, who is now 27-years-old, suffered permanent brain damage from her fall and now needs constant medical attention
  • The settlement is the largest in city history
  • Chicago also paid out $10.25 million today to Alton Logan, who spent 26 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit
  • He alleged that police withheld evidence that would have set him free decades earlier
  • Police commander involved in his case was later sent to prison for lying about torturing suspects
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 15:52 EST, 15 January 2013 | UPDATED: 18:49 EST, 15 January 2013

The city of Chicago agreed today to pay a record $22.5 million to a woman who was released from police custody in 2006 and instead of being taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, she was released into a high crime area where she was gang raped and plummeted seven stories.

Christina Eilman, was 21-years-old when the crime occurred and she suffered permanent brain damage from the fall and has needed constant medical care ever since.

Eilman, who is bipolar, was taken into police custody at Midway Airport after suffering a mental breakdown on her flight from California.
Scroll down for video

article-2262958-16F6229A000005DC-619_640x527.jpg
Trauma: Here's Christina Eilman shortly after she was raped and plummeted from a seventh story window. She was released by cops instead of being taken to a mental hospital for an evaluation. The city of Chicago agreed today to give her $22.5 million

Rather than bring Eilman to a hospital, police released her after 29 hours in custody, despite her parents calling at least nine times to warn them about her mental health status and that she was having an episode.

Police later testified at a deposition hearing that she was visibly agitated and should have been taken to the hospital. Witnesses said she was throwing herself against the bars in her jail cell.

article-2262958-16F6419E000005DC-993_638x424.jpg
Horror: This is the Chicago building where Christina Eilman plummeted, resulting permanent brain damage

Eilman, a former UCLA student, was released near a housing project in a crime-ridden neighborhood on the city's notorious South Side when she encountered the xes fiends who attacked her.
She was dressed in just short shorts, a cutoff top and boots and was without her cellphone.
After being gang raped at knifepoint, she either fell or was pushed from a seven-story window, she suffered severe brain trauma and the 27-year-old will not recover.

article-2262958-16F6BD63000005DC-69_642x503.jpg
Better times: Christina Eilman is smiling as she's surrounded by her parents before she was brutally assaulted and left for dead

'I’m embarrassed to think that a poor girl like this would have been so callously treated by members of the Chicago Police Department,' Alderman Edward Burke said, according to CBS/Chicago.
Her family had been seeking as much as $100 million in damages for pain and suffering and to cover Eilman's never-ending medical bills.

article-2262958-16F6B2D4000005DC-581_638x598.jpg
Before the tragedy: Here's Christina Eilman a few months before she was attacked and forever changed

article-2262958-16F6BBE3000005DC-606_644x525.jpg
Never the same: Eilman's scar from tracheotomy is visible in this recent photo.

Gang member Marvin Powell was convicted of abducting Eilman but not xesually assaulting her or causing her to go out the window.

Sick: Gang member Marvin Powell was convicted of kidnapping Eilman

He served part of a 12-year sentence before being paroled last spring.
Eilman's settlement was one of two major payouts by the Illinois city today.

Alton Logan will receive $10.25 million for spending 26 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit.
POLICE MISCONDUCT: SUMMARY OF TWO CASES

Christina Eilman received $22.5 million.

She was taken into police custody in 2006 after suffering a bipolar episode.

Instead of being taken for a psychiatric evaluation, police kept her overnight and then released her into a high-crime area.

She was then gang raped and plummeted from a seventh story window. Eilman, now 27, suffered permanent brain damage.

Alton Logan received $10.25 million for

In 1982, Logan was arrested for shooting a security guard during a robbery. He was later convicted despite there being no physical evidence against him.

He was later charged in a lawsuit that police knew another man possessed the dead security guard's weapon but kept that information quiet,keeping Logan behind bars.

Logan was arrested in 1982 for shooting Lloyd Wickliffe, an off-duty Cook County corrections officer who was working as a security guard, during a robbery attempt at a McDonald’s restaurant.
Despite no physical evidence linking him to the crime, Logan was convicted.
He later alleged a cover-up engineered by police Commander Jon Burge.
Burge was later sent to federal prison for lying about abusing and torturing suspects.

Logan was freed in April 2008 after lawyers for Andrew Wilson — a convicted cop killer — revealed that he had admitted to killing Wickliffe.
The attorneys didn't come forward until Wilson died in prison in 2007 because of their oath of confidentiality.

Logan alleged that cops who arrested Wilson knew he had Wickliffe's .38-caliber gun that was stolen off him after he was murdered.
The two settlements came after the city's alderman agreed at a vote this afternoon.
“As I sit here today, I’m both embarrassed and ashamed,” said Finance Committee Chairman Edward M. Burke, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
'It is time to put this behind us — and we are trying diligently to put these cases behind us,' city lawyer Stephen Patton said today.
'But, we have to be very dilligent for the next type of misconduct, for the next type of practice that could lead to exposure.

'We are trying to be on the top of the next [type of misconduct] And hopefully, nothing will be as egregious as Burge,' Patton said at the alderman hearing.

Innocent: Alton Logan spent more than a quarter century behind bars for a murder he didn't commit.

article-2262958-16F6229E000005DC-101_642x602.jpg
Coverup: Former Chicago police commander Jon Burge is serving four and a half years in federal prison for lying about torturing suspects.

I didn't mean to groan you wanted to give thumbs up!!

FeliceKafka

wenchbarmer
Reaction score
Reactions
585 36 37
Alleybux
Why on earth does the article mention that she was wearing shorts and a cut of top when she got gang raped?

TongueInCheek

Dirty Mouth?
Reaction score
Reactions
20,867 615 308
Alleybux
Why on earth does the article mention that she was wearing shorts and a cut of top when she got gang raped?

Actually, that's a good point. That whole "she was asking for it mentality"

Even if she had been wearing a bulky turtleneck sweater, that situation was horrifyingly dangerous

Apollonia

xes Shooter, shooting lov
Reaction score
Reactions
20,510 556 87
Alleybux

Trying to villain-ize her. As if though she was asking for it. It's a damn shame what happened to her young lady minding her business.

.HGL123.

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
61 11
Alleybux
I think it was mentioned to further describe the negligence shown by the police department releasing her into an unfamiliar area. I thought why in the world would they leave her like that, not that they were trying to make her seem "hot" or asking for it.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,294 1
Alleybux
This is so sad

My heart goes out to her. They just threw her to the wolves.

The man who did 26 yrs, there is not enough money for the time stolen from him but that's a good start.

Mrs Clooney

A-List Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
106,217 12,015 553
Alleybux
I know this story very well. No one knows how she ended up in Chicago, but she had caused some disturbance at the Southwest Airlines terminal in Midway on Sunday and was simply escorted out.

She then called her dad in California from one of the rental car places outside of baggage claim. With the help of the employee, the dad was able to book a room for her at a nearby hotel and later booked a flight for Monday afternoon.

On Monday, she caused a disturbance again and was escorted out. She got on some sort of public transportation and the driver alerted police that someone was causing a disturbance. That's when they took her to the first police station. I don't remember the details, but she was then taken to a station in the south side and that's where she was released.

She then began to talk to a group of men across the street from the police station and they took her to the building. There were female residents who stated that they tried to help her break away from the men. I remember one woman saying that she knew something was going to happen simply because she was a white girl. Actually, inmates in both jails stated that they noticed she was off and had asked the police to help her, but no one did.

I'll have to look back for the articles for the entire story but I do remember that the guy who raped her was not part of the group of men who took her into the building. Word got around that there was a white girl by herself and he went into the apartment and kicked everyone out before attempting to rape her.