Quantcast

Chinese-Americans poured more than $80,000 into a Proud Boy crowdfunder before Jan 6 insurrection

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,042 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
Chinese Americans and ex-pats from China donated more than $80,000 to the Proud Boys, a report says.

The group was crowdfunding to pay for medical expenses after a clash with BLM protesters.

Donors said they sent money because they felt that America was under attack from communism.

See more stories on Insider's business page.

The far-right group Proud Boys allegedly received more than $80,00 in donations from Chinese Americans and the broader Chinese diaspora a month before the Capitol riot, according to a report by USA Today.

The money was sent as part of a crowdfunding effort to help the Proud Boys pay for medical expenses after four people were stabbed in Washington DC in December 2020 during a confrontation with Black Lives Matter protesters (officials did not comment on which group the injured individuals belonged to at the time).

The fundraiser was set up on the Christian fundraising site GiveSendGo on December 17, five days after the incident.

The crowdfunding effort raised a total of $106,107 - 80% of which came from American Asians and the broader Chinese diaspora, according to USA Today, which obtained data from the whistleblower site Distributed Denial of Secrets.

The investigation tracked some donations to addresses in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

Several donors who spoke to USA Today said they had sent money to the Proud Boys because they supported Former President Donald Trump, and felt that America was under attack from communism, a claim often touted by right-wing commentators, including conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

The donors also told the paper they felt the Proud Boys were protecting the country from antifa and the Black Lives Matter protesters.

"You have to understand how we feel - we came from communist China and we managed to come here and we appreciate it here so much," said Rebecca Kwan, who donated $500, USA Today reported. "The Proud Boys are for Trump, and they are fighting antifa, and can you see anything good that antics did except destroy department stores and small businesses?"

Another donor, Donald Wang from New York, who donated $50 to the organization, told USA Today: "The Proud Boys are protecting the innocent people. A lot of people in my community support them."

The Proud Boys were among the mob who stormed the US Capitol on January 6, which resulted in the deaths of five people, including a police officer. At least 21 of its members have since been charged with federal crimes for their roles in the attack.

The chairman of the far-right organization, Enrique Tarrio, said in a statement to USA Today: "I am happy that Asians support the Proud Boys because of the continuous hate and the relentless assault they get from BLM supporters. So to the Asian community, I'd like to say Thank You."

In February, Tarrio was unmasked as a former FBI informant, leading some chapters of the organization to distance themselves from the central leadership.

The FBI described the Proud Boys as an "extremist group with ties to white nationalism." The agency's director, Christopher Wray, said in a testimony before Congress last year he wished the FBI had been better able to penetrate the group ahead of the riot.

According to an NBC News poll from November, 63 percent of Asian Americans across the country voted for President Joe Biden in the 2020 election.

However, 31 percent still voted for Trump despite the fact the former president frequently used xenophobic and discriminatory language while referring to the COVID-19 pandemic, including the terms "kung flu" and "China virus."

In the last few months, anti-Asian sentiment across the country has also contributed to a rise in xenophobic hate crimes.
----

This is where y'alls wig money is going, please stop funding them.

Humbled

Ms. Queen.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,117 8,263 3,756
Alleybux
Sadly the mainstream media won't show this. They didn't even show the ant-black hatred that was coming from Asians towards Black people when George Floyd was killed.

Aems

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
175,081 3,911 1,715
Alleybux

IqBuXCZ.gif

21andover

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
182,956 4,044 1,602
Alleybux
Chinese Americans and ex-pats from China donated more than $80,000 to the Proud Boys, a report says.

The group was crowdfunding to pay for medical expenses after a clash with BLM protesters.

Donors said they sent money because they felt that America was under attack from communism.

See more stories on Insider's business page.

The far-right group Proud Boys allegedly received more than $80,00 in donations from Chinese Americans and the broader Chinese diaspora a month before the Capitol riot, according to a report by USA Today.

The money was sent as part of a crowdfunding effort to help the Proud Boys pay for medical expenses after four people were stabbed in Washington DC in December 2020 during a confrontation with Black Lives Matter protesters (officials did not comment on which group the injured individuals belonged to at the time).

The fundraiser was set up on the Christian fundraising site GiveSendGo on December 17, five days after the incident.

The crowdfunding effort raised a total of $106,107 - 80% of which came from American Asians and the broader Chinese diaspora, according to USA Today, which obtained data from the whistleblower site Distributed Denial of Secrets.

The investigation tracked some donations to addresses in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

Several donors who spoke to USA Today said they had sent money to the Proud Boys because they supported Former President Donald Trump, and felt that America was under attack from communism, a claim often touted by right-wing commentators, including conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

The donors also told the paper they felt the Proud Boys were protecting the country from antifa and the Black Lives Matter protesters.

"You have to understand how we feel - we came from communist China and we managed to come here and we appreciate it here so much," said Rebecca Kwan, who donated $500, USA Today reported. "The Proud Boys are for Trump, and they are fighting antifa, and can you see anything good that antics did except destroy department stores and small businesses?"

Another donor, Donald Wang from New York, who donated $50 to the organization, told USA Today: "The Proud Boys are protecting the innocent people. A lot of people in my community support them."

The Proud Boys were among the mob who stormed the US Capitol on January 6, which resulted in the deaths of five people, including a police officer. At least 21 of its members have since been charged with federal crimes for their roles in the attack.

The chairman of the far-right organization, Enrique Tarrio, said in a statement to USA Today: "I am happy that Asians support the Proud Boys because of the continuous hate and the relentless assault they get from BLM supporters. So to the Asian community, I'd like to say Thank You."

In February, Tarrio was unmasked as a former FBI informant, leading some chapters of the organization to distance themselves from the central leadership.

The FBI described the Proud Boys as an "extremist group with ties to white nationalism." The agency's director, Christopher Wray, said in a testimony before Congress last year he wished the FBI had been better able to penetrate the group ahead of the riot.

According to an NBC News poll from November, 63 percent of Asian Americans across the country voted for President Joe Biden in the 2020 election.

However, 31 percent still voted for Trump despite the fact the former president frequently used xenophobic and discriminatory language while referring to the COVID-19 pandemic, including the terms "kung flu" and "China virus."

In the last few months, anti-Asian sentiment across the country has also contributed to a rise in xenophobic hate crimes.
----

Go to the thread about Asian nail salons and you’ll see that that will never happen.

bellabissina

choco socialite
Reaction score
Reactions
2,235 62 20
Alleybux
The investigation tracked some donations to addresses in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan
I was still sceptical at first because how would they know? A VPN could easily trick the locations in case these proud boys people were trying to divide americans on purpose or something.. but

I doubt it now. No wonder. These people have been lapdogs for whites for decades.. I mean remember honorary aryans for example?? hello?? It feels like everyone is against us, solidarity is a myth. We only have each other, I wish the diaspora could get their act together before our continent gets neo-colonised and gentrified by these soulless people because climate change will do that.
I used to buy my braiding hair from there (the Indians actually, but still). When I finally found a Jamaican owned hair shop with a hair salon on the 2nd floor I never went back. It feels a lot better. Even if it's located outside my town.

bombdiggity

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,190 1,025 332
Alleybux
It made me sick to hear my ppl screaming “StOp AsIaN hAtE” and this is how they feel about us! Anyone who jumped on the bandwagon with that weak ass # feel dumb yet?

mdhlife

I have spoken ...
Reaction score
Reactions
36,707 2,150 1,090
Alleybux

"Christians" + "Proud Boys" + "Asian Immigrants" promoting White Supremacy

devilicious

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,814 7,608 2,600
Alleybux
i am posting so i can easily find this thread when someone posts the stop asian hate bs threads. asians are hijacking attention from cops killing black people with their whinning.

Selam

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,100 1,831 3,824
Alleybux
Not shocked. Those f**kers are racist af. I never cared for that stop "Stop Asian Hate" BS. They hate us.

cherrypop

i love hot sauce
Reaction score
Reactions
50,787 1,736 518
Alleybux
they wont hold other asians accountable. all east asians think they are white, that they are better than other darker skinned minorities and they expect by DEFAULT for us to help them when they experience racism. the genuine ones who really care about us arent doing enough to sort out the majority of asians

Aems

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
175,081 3,911 1,715
Alleybux
I just hope y'all remember all of this come 2022 and 2024 when these Asian ass-kissing politicians come around demanding black votes. :disdain

Liliu

The Last Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
100,275 2,047 329
Alleybux
And that's why I deleted every stop Asian hate email I received. Let the white people continue to fµck them. I don't give a fµck.

Tylerdagreat

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,640 10,708 609
Alleybux

Chinese Names Funneling Donations to Proud Boys Could Be Linked to Anti-Communism​

BY DANIEL VILLARREAL ON 5/4/21 AT 8:14 PM EDT

https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%252Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%252Fimages%252F1%252F9%252F8%252F4%252F30334891-3-eng-GB%252FCropped-1604169734RTX739EQ.JPG

Alarge group of Chinese people have recently donated to the far-right group the Proud Boys. The donors gave money in hopes that the gang will oppose "communism" in the United States.
People with Chinese surnames donated nearly $85,000 to the group's recent online fundraising campaign, USA Today reported. The campaign sought to pay the medical bills of members stabbed during clashes in Washington during December 2020.

The donors' information was hacked from a crowdfunding site called GiveSendGo. The information was then published on the whistleblower site Distributed Denial of Secrets (DDoS). In June 2020, DDoS published 270 gigabytes of internal U.S. police documents.

"You have to understand how we feel–we came from communist China and we managed to come here and we appreciate it here so much," Rebecca Kwan, a $500 Proud Boys donor told USA Today. "The Proud Boys are for Trump and they are fighting Antifa, and can you see anything good that Antifa did except destroy department stores and small businesses?"

Proud Boys Chinese donations communism communist

Experts say that a group of Chinese donors to the far-right neo-fascist street gang, the Proud Boys, gave money in hopes that the gang will oppose "communism" in the United States. In this photo, members of the Proud Boys gather outside of Harry's bar during a protest on December 12, 2020 in Washington, DC. Thousands of protesters who refused to accept that President-elect Joe Biden won the election rallied ahead of the electoral college vote to make Trump's 306-to-232 loss official.
3456.jpg

Various other Chinese donors that spoke with the aforementioned publication praised the Proud Boys as "heroes" and "patriots" despite the fact that at least 21 of its members have been arrested for participating in the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol.

Researchers said that the Chinese donations appear to have come from regular people rather than as the "coordinated inauthentic behavior" of automated bots or government agents. The donors could be radicalized Chinese expats or "deeply conservative" Chinese Americans who support the misogyny and racism of far-right movements, experts said.

The Chinese Communist Party also could've funneled money to the Proud Boys to help aid their extremism during this sensitive time in U.S. politics, Anna Puglisi, an expert on Chinese government espionage at Georgetown's Center for Security and Emerging Technology, told USA Today.
Chinese-Americans-for-Trump2-1.jpg

While Antifa (anti-fascist protesters) often demonstrate alongside Black Lives Matter (BLM) supporters during racial justice protests, communism isn't a part of either group's stated goals.
Nevertheless, the Proud Boys has positioned itself as an opponent of communism and "cultural Marxism" allegedly supported by Antifa, BLM and other progressive social movements. The Proud Boys, comparatively, are a self-described anti-feminist, Western chauvinist group.

Immigrants who have lived under communist regimes and those immigrants' descendants may oppose the communism that they experienced outside of the United States. However, the politics of such regimes often differ from what the Proud Boys refer to as communism, Jared Holt, a scholar of extremism at the Atlantic Council's Digital Forensic Research Lab, told USA Today.
"The Proud Boys are happy to label anything that is antithetical to their own causes, many of which are progressive, as 'communist,'" he said.

960x0.jpg

Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio has claimed his group is not a white supremacist organization. Nevertheless, former member Jason Kessler helped organize the 2017 Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia which was attended by neo-Nazis and white supremacists.
Tarrio was arrested on January 4 for tearing down and burning a BLM banner from Asbury United Methodist Church, a historic church in Washington D.C. with a predominantly Black congregation. Tarrio bragged about his actions on social media, calling BLM "a racist movement that has terrorized the citizens of this country."
On February 3, Canada designated the Proud Boys as a terrorist organization, alongside ISIS and al-Qaeda.
Newsweek contacted the Organization of Chinese Americans for comment.