Quantcast

Cicely Tyson Passed Away at Age 96

Freespirit123

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
19,895 722 263
Alleybux
yeah I know but she was older than him. I had assumed that he was the oldest black celebrity left...I suppose he is now along with Harry Belafonte. Cicely was older than them both.

Hi Delicious. The term "outlived" means when a person transitions when someone else is still living.

With the list that you gave Sidney has outlived Cicely and everyone else on that list.

BTW, regarding Harry, Harry is 93 years old, too.

delicious11

Na me sabi!
Reaction score
Reactions
69,993 5,049 5,718
Alleybux
Hi Delicious. The term "outlived" means when a person transitions when someone else is still living.

With the list that you gave Sidney has outlived Cicely and everyone else on that list.

BTW, regarding Harry, Harry is 93 years old, too.

Cheeky...

Trust the likes of you to make a big deal out of my typo. Corrected now so you can sleep well at night.

"I know..amazing. I was thinking about all the legends she was older than or had outlived"

TheLionQueen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,857 686 192
Alleybux
I am beyond grateful to have been introduced to her work via my TV screen from a very young age. I believe it was on Lifetime or maybe their movie channel that I first saw Cecily in a movie. Certainly not a channel a child should be watching given the many heavy situations shown in their programming but, there I was getting a glimpse of her and her fantastic smile and her beautiful bone structure.
And it was always a treat to find her in something else if I was browsing channels. I think I saw Marva Collins first, then The Rosa Parks movie. That makes these two films the 1st biography related films I ever saw. I'd watch Marva a few times and hope for a teacher like that. Teachers that cared that much for the well-being of their students seem to be small in number.

What was always baffling to me was/is when people would complain about young Black girls/young Black women not having someone to look up to, going on and on about the mess that is reality TVs portrayal of Black women. Can't help but, wonder how they choose to not remember the contributions to film/television that Cecily has made. It's not like she was a newcomer, she'd done this for decades. I know who she is and I'm under 30, so no way people older than me were unaware of her. Anything to uphold a negative narration I guess but, we'll save that rant for another time.

I have/had on occasion been hesitant to watch some of her filmography because there's quite a few that deal with slavery but, after preparing myself mentally for what I'm going to see, I watch it some other time(Roots,Jane Pittman,etc.). Her portrayals of any character she's played have a dignity that is admirable. No matter the situation, she was going to find the better part of a bad situation and was going to face every obstacle with as much courage and determination as possible. See Sounder-1972 the original not the Disney remake or Bustin Loose-1981. I'd have liked to see her in more comedy, but, the way she moves you in a dramatic performance is unforgettable. I'm not leaving off movies of hers I've seen on purpose but, I don't know if LSA's text limit is high enough to mention many more and still go on about my appreciation of Cecily having graced us for as long as she had with such a presence that we may not experience again any time soon.

She's never played a stereotype and I love that. Considering the time period in which she started, that alone is worthy of praise. While I have not yet watched all of her films, I surely will take some time to catch up on that. And of course, I've got to get her autobiography which is currently on my book wishlist.

Cecily, there are not enough ways to say thank you for the inspiration and wisdom gained from viewing your performances for more than half of my life. I'm glad that you have lived and I'm devastated that you have gone :cry:. The next world is getting a glimpse and more of the positive impact that you had on me(and many others) and it is my hope that they are as grateful for you as I was,currently am and always will be. All my love to you and the family and friends that you are now watching over.

Rest Peacefully :kissing_heart:

Last edited:

RetNetwork

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Rare 1971 episode from syndicated series INSIGHT featuring Glynn Turman and Cicely Tyson

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom