Not open for further replies.

BambiEyes.

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
11,612 241 178
Alleybux
Do you believe our generation can continue the fight for Civil Rights? After the death of Ms. King and Ms. Park I have been questioning the on going struggle. Granted, I am so thankful that I have experienced such powerful women of history. This also had me thinking of the time in High school when I met Betty Shabazz, during the opening of the Malcolm X library in San Diego. I cried and was so humble b/c of what she represent. I'm scared for our generation. I am not sure if we can pick up what so many influential blacks and other minorities have contributed to this thing we call America.

Now a days it seems like we have it so good that we forget who fought for our rights. Or who was killed for us to be able to have the option of attending any school we want, sitting where we want, eating, marrying who we want and etc...

I know this is long and drawn out but I do feel we address this as an issue. I am very opinion minded to opinions so feel free to say what you please. Also, I love education so enlighten me! TIA

Tiara

Hurry Up and Buy
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,860 1,781 90
Alleybux
Oh my, I believe I was at that opening with a friend a few years ago if this is the library off of Market Street in San Diego, CA. What a small world. Anyway, to answer your question I believe we can, what disturbs me is that folks no longer think of it as a "fight" or something to strive for anymore. I think we've all been watered down, and tricked into believing there is no longer a need to pay much attention to the issues anymore.

IslandBabe

Lawyering Up
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
4,908 461 992
Alleybux
sad to say, but i dont think so.. unless of course fighting for civil rights will yeild you diamond girllz, platinum chains and a gang of strippers..

our priorities are screwed up. JMO

BambiEyes.

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
11,612 241 178
Alleybux
Yea, that is the same one! I use to be a Zino, along w/the Links, so our meetings starting being there. This is a small world. I know that there is a fight and it's said that people are willing to settle with what we are living with now. You are so right on about how we are influenced into thinking the struggle is over, when we are far from it.

IB, I totally agree w/you. It seems like that is the focus now a days. Brotha and sistas do anything it takes just to have that and it's crazy. Children are thinking that is the way of life as well.

Pebbles

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
3,841 67 47
Alleybux
I agree with you Tiara when you say that "we've all been watered down, and tricked into believing there is no longer a need to pay much attention to the issues anymore." There are two generations of young African Americans (second class citizens) who are used to certain things and automatically think that this country naturally gives them what has been given to white people (1st class citizens). Some of them don't realize until it's too late that they can't act and run around like their white conterparts.

Shani, there's also the concept of the gifted 10% who are still going to have to be the ones to uplift our people. Sadly, other issues come into play (usually money and media/society pressure) that keep us from being righteous. For example, look at Kanye West. He was the only celebrity to step out on a limb and speak his mind to try and educate those in ou country who are blind. Yet, someone controlling his pockets said something in his ear, and he chose the money instead of sticking to his voice.

Tiara

Hurry Up and Buy
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,860 1,781 90
Alleybux
Pebbles said:
I agree with you Tiara when you say that "we've all been watered down, and tricked into believing there is no longer a need to pay much attention to the issues anymore." There are two generations of young African Americans (second class citizens) who are used to certain things and automatically think that this country naturally gives them what has been given to white people (1st class citizens). Some of them don't realize until it's too late that they can't act and run around like their white conterparts.

Preach! You took the words right out of my mouth. It is shameful. If a lot of our civil rights leaders were alive today, they would be mortified at what we have become as a people.

MsFoxyBrown

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
1,285 1 1
Alleybux
i think we can shani. i just think that the majority of our generation and mainly the generation after ours....won't. now speaking from a point of view on those we don't hear about, or know about, or study up on....then you know, maybe....i say that because i was watching that show "next" on mtv and i swear they had this nice looking black young man on the show, who is an intern for the democratic party, who took his dates to the ymca/boy-girls club to pass out lunches and then some...i took a look at this young man and i could tell that his ambitions is to one day be president. and if you see and heard him, i actually believe that he can.

see, we don't see or hear bout the young folks that want to make a difference. its sad. all these young folks think bout is the lastest bootie dance, or showing some tits and ass or rapping, etc... and who's the blame...ADULTS.

it's like the corretta's and Mkings back then....had more self repsect and more amibition...they actually loved themselves and being black. it's like, when we finally were granted equality (so they say) instead of that same love for one another and that help one another...it became more of an...i don't want him/her having more than me or better than me...it became more of a envy instead of a rise.

BambiEyes.

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
11,612 241 178
Alleybux
MsFoxyBrown said:
i think we can shani. i just think that the majority of our generation and mainly the generation after ours....won't. now speaking from a point of view on those we don't hear about, or know about, or study up on....then you know, maybe....i say that because i was watching that show "next" on mtv and i swear they had this nice looking black young man on the show, who is an intern for the democratic party, who took his dates to the ymca/boy-girls club to pass out lunches and then some...i took a look at this young man and i could tell that his ambitions is to one day be president. and if you see and heard him, i actually believe that he can.

see, we don't see or hear bout the young folks that want to make a difference. its sad. all these young folks think bout is the lastest bootie dance, or showing some tits and ass or rapping, etc... and who's the blame...ADULTS.

it's like the corretta's and Mkings back then....had more self repsect and more amibition...they actually loved themselves and being black. it's like, when we finally were granted equality (so they say) instead of that same love for one another and that help one another...it became more of an...i don't want him/her having more than me or better than me...it became more of a envy instead of a rise.

Co-sign______x

It's so sad now! Majority of minorities have no clue what they stand for now. I sometimes blame the parents but how could we blame them? Some parents have to work 2-3 jobs to make ends met and can't always monitor children. Necessities are costly now a days and parents possibly feel hopeless. It's a never ending struggle for our people. You can't even depend on the school system. I went to a magnent school so I was not influenced by sports, everything was about academics. All my teachers were black and most of them threw the black fist up. I loved it! I never seen anything like it. I learned so much and it picked up where my parents left off. I am so greatful of all the influences in my life.

Pebbles

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
3,841 67 47
Alleybux
MsFoxyBrown said:

I saw that episode of Next; I was actually thinking I might lower my age standards and go out with a younger man b/c dude was nice! You could tell that he has morals, priorities, goals, and standards......

Which is what many of our Black teens today don't have. They're all about self to the 100th degree! It bad enough if you want to run around doing what you want to do, but then they don't set any decent goals for themselves, they don't take into regard the consequences for any of their actions, and expect people to just do for them just because! (E.g. having xes and getting pregnant/getting a girl pregnant and just expect someone to HELP you take care of your kid Knucklhead, the gov't is only giving you support b/c they feel sorry for the kid! HELL, I FEEL SORRY FOR THE KID!) It's sickening! But like someone said before, it DEFINITELY COMES DOWN TO THE PARENTS!!!!! Parental influence is what teaches a child how to behave, how to set and accomplish goals, how to carry oneself, how to wear clothing, etc. As the saying goes, "the a p p l e doesn't fall far from the tree"; just look at the child or teen and you'll know what kind of tree they came from! So sad!

Pebbles

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
3,841 67 47
Alleybux
Why is this stupid thing bleeping out " a p p l e" !?!

Tiara

Hurry Up and Buy
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,860 1,781 90
Alleybux
I went to a magnet school too Shani, and I thank my parents for insisting that I do so.

Pebbles

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
3,841 67 47
Alleybux
Shani So Sassy said:
Co-sign______x

It's so sad now! Majority of minorities have no clue what they stand for now. I sometimes blame the parents but how could we blame them? Some parents have to work 2-3 jobs to make ends met and can't always monitor children. Necessities are costly now a days and parents possibly feel hopeless. It's a never ending struggle for our people. You can't even depend on the school system. I went to a magnent school so I was not influenced by sports, everything was about academics. All my teachers were black and most of them threw the black fist up. I loved it! I never seen anything like it. I learned so much and it picked up where my parents left off. I am so greatful of all the influences in my life.

I have to disagree about not blaming the parents; the parents need to be blamed/ held responsible!!! First of all, if they didn't want the responsibility of being the eternal teacher for their child(ren), then they shouldn't have had kids! Secondly, I'm tired of people's SORRY EXCUSES; our ancestors were slaves, and after slavery ended, many blacks still received sub-par education compared to whites even through the Jim Crow South. Their parents were slaves and then became sharecroppers, cleaning ladies, nannies, etc. who had ABSOLUTELY NO TO VERY LITTLE EDUCATION yet the parents instilled in their children morals and goals. Their parents were responsible and didn't let the excuse of them not having received an education as a reason for their children not to receive an education and better themselves. And in all reality, poor and working class parents and children have A LOT more resources available to them to help them break the poverty cycle that they're in. But all of that just goes back to parenting, morals, goals, and our Black youth (and even some adults) thinking that they can go and behave like their white conterparts in this society and there won't be some form of repercussions.

"SexxyT"

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
849 1
Alleybux
Ladies,
I know we see things in the media which is depressing and now a great deal of our greats are going home. Remember, you never know who God may use as vessel. We can't look to people in entertainment to take a stance because most of them are competing for mainstream appeal and continuously "sell-out" for the almighty dollar. Frankly, I think Barak Obama is going to become a powerful force within politics. They are many young ones out there working, learning, and gaining more knowledge. We also need to take it upon ourselves to do things or speak our minds whether it's demonstrations...petitions, etc. I have stated previously that as a black/African-American, my ancestors have contributed to this society and I will make it known. I believe there are some of our youth and some people out there that we don't know about and most likely they do not want to be known until a certain time. There are too many people I know whom are conscious, educated, powerful. Civil rights will only die if we/black people just don't care and give up.

BambiEyes.

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
11,612 241 178
Alleybux
Tiara, did you go to Gompers? I went there but graduated from Bonita.

Pebbles, i totally agree w/you! I was just stating that sometimes they can't always be at fault b/c they have to work to take care of their children. A lot children come from single-parent working household, so parents have no choice but to be away from the household hours at a time. It sucks b/c sometimes people feel they are stuck in the cycle of poverty. Remember the episode of TRUE LIFE: I'm Poor? It was a trip how the young black dude was trying so hard to get himself and family out of the living conditions they were in. There were other important stories but this stuck out the most

BlueBalls

Nappy-headed Ho
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
4,466 2 1
Alleybux
Pebbles said:
I have to disagree about not blaming the parents; the parents need to be blamed/ held responsible!!! First of all, if they didn't want the responsibility of being the eternal teacher for their child(ren), then they shouldn't have had kids! Secondly, I'm tired of people's SORRY EXCUSES; our ancestors were slaves, and after slavery ended, many blacks still received sub-par education compared to whites even through the Jim Crow South. Their parents were slaves and then became sharecroppers, cleaning ladies, nannies, etc. who had ABSOLUTELY NO TO VERY LITTLE EDUCATION yet the parents instilled in their children morals and goals. Their parents were responsible and didn't let the excuse of them not having received an education as a reason for their children not to receive an education and better themselves. And in all reality, poor and working class parents and children have A LOT more resources available to them to help them break the poverty cycle that they're in. But all of that just goes back to parenting, morals, goals, and our Black youth (and even some adults) thinking that they can go and behave like their white conterparts in this society and there won't be some form of repercussions.

:arms: ITA!!!!!

"SexxyT"

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
849 1
Alleybux
Pebbles said:

Peebles,
We need to teach our children our history. It makes a big difference. It gives our kids greater sense of self-esteem, confidence, and prepares them to challenge incorrect information being taught or written in the textbooks. We don't teach our kids our history. Our history is very rich. Our history encompasses everything within this society.We leave it to schools and the textbooks which do not cover anything but slavery. I have seen the difference of teaching our children their history...the children are starving for this knowledge and for some reason black folk act scared to challenge educators. It is American history!We start teaching our youth/children their history...there is no way Civil Rights will end unless we have a DEMOCRACY!

BambiEyes.

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
11,612 241 178
Alleybux
I had no clue that was a magnent school.

Soulful, it sucks that some schools only touch the surface of History. They give the clean biased teachings. I hate how they pick and choose what to teach about Black history and how this country was founded on the blood and sweat of our ancestors.

"SexxyT"

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
849 1
Alleybux
Shani So Sassy said:
Co-sign______x

My daughter attended a charter school in Brooklyn. It was a school for finance, business, and entreprenuership. My daughter loved that school. We have had to relocate back here to TN. Guess what? My daughter is now disliking school because of her teachers. Most of the teachers are condascending and are ready to reprimand. The school in NY, she loved her teachers who pushed/challenged the students. Not only that, most of them geniunely cared about the students. Most were black and she would get heavy doses of black/African-American history throughout the year.

Pebbles

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
3,841 67 47
Alleybux
soulful said:
Peebles,
We need to teach our children our history. It makes a big difference. It gives our kids greater sense of self-esteem, confidence, and prepares them to challenge incorrect information being taught or written in the textbooks. We don't teach our kids our history. Our history is very rich. Our history encompasses everything within this society.We leave it to schools and the textbooks which do not cover anything but slavery. I have seen the difference of teaching our children their history...the children are starving for this knowledge and for some reason black folk act scared to challenge educators. It is American history!We start teaching our youth/children their history...there is no way Civil Rights will end unless we have a DEMOCRACY!

Oh, I agree that we need to teach our children ALL of our history. And by "we" I'm including PARENTS. I'm an educator who works with inner city youth. In each classroom, there are a significant amount of parents who are all too happy to send their kids to school and let the school teach them EVERYTHING they need to know (and the only time they'll voluntarily get into contact w/ you is if their child goes home and complains about getting in trouble). But that's not possible and ridiculous! Teachers only have so many hours in the day to get so much done, not to mention that, depending on the administrators of the school, we might have to continuously look over our shoulder to get our history into the curriculum. Overall, it just eventually goes back to some parents refusing to do their JOBS!!! (Some of these people, who shouldn't have had kids to begin with, consider parenting to be giving their child food, some clothes, and buying them toys for Christmas and birthdays. Guidance, moral and spiritual support, decision making skills, teaching history and culture, etc. doesn't cross some of these "parents" minds.)

Pebbles

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
3,841 67 47
Alleybux
soulful said:
My daughter attended a charter school in Brooklyn. It was a school for finance, business, and entreprenuership. My daughter loved that school. We have had to relocate back here to TN. Guess what? My daughter is now disliking school because of her teachers. Most of the teachers are condascending and are ready to reprimand. The school in NY, she loved her teachers who pushed/challenged the students. Not only that, most of them geniunely cared about the students. Most were black and she would get heavy doses of black/African-American history throughout the year.

I'm glad that she liked her school in Brooklyn. The differences btw. the two schools can be attributed to many factors, including location, state requirements, teachers targeted for the area, student population, history, etc. If you're not able to move back to NYC or send her to a school in TN that she'll enjoy, then maybe you should try home schooling. You could do it alone or find other parents who are like-minded or would be interested in creating a small program like the one in NYC. But like I said before, parents are the eternal teachers. Just b/c your daughter no longer attends the school in Brooklyn doesn't mean she has to stop learning the principals they were teaching. By reading your posts, I can tell that you're an educated sista, so I'm sure you won't have a problem with extending/supplementing the education she's receiving in TN.

BTW, you can cut the TN teachers down from being condescending by making visits to the school and sitting in the classroom to just "observe." Have a notebook with you and record what's going on in the classroom. Then, have a professional mtg. with the teacher. If the behavior doesn't change, then meet with the principal.

"SexxyT"

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
849 1
Alleybux
Pebbles said:
BTW, you can cut the TN teachers down from being condescending by making visits to the school and sitting in the classroom to just "observe." Have a notebook with you and record what's going on in the classroom. Then, have a professional mtg. with the teacher. If the behavior doesn't change, then meet with the principal.

That is exactly what I am doing. I question the teachers' professionalism. Unfortunately, we will be moving again but I am making plans to put her in a private school. I do make my daughter read. Can you believe my daughter does not go to the library to check out books for reading at school. We had to read books and write reports when I was in middle school. I have a collection here at home and I am making her read one a month and write a report.

sunsetincali

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
6,447 4 6
Alleybux
We definitely NEED to. It's a sad day when New Orleans has to seek international help b/c the U.S. doesn't think N.O. or it's people are important enough to give aid to.

Status
Not open for further replies.