Quantcast

Collabing on a script?

BrownCapital

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
48,347 1,900 1,905
Alleybux
Okay so I am co writing a screenplay with another person. This particular person has a connection (A list actress). This person is aware I don’t have any connections and offered to collab to help out with that. We both agreed it’s a screenplay we will enter into competitions and it will be passed to the actress.

I guess you could say this is potentially one of my first connections/friends within the industry. It’s not something I take lightly.

Any advice?

GlittVanGogh

everything is everything
Reaction score
Reactions
88,839 2,265 382
Alleybux
yes, you might want to start searching for legal mentors or legal advisors. Just for copyright reason, etc.
good luck!!!!

CackleJackal

And who is you?
Reaction score
Reactions
3,675 250 126
Alleybux
Be careful. Working with people with connections can sometimes make them feel superior to you and your contributions and you want to make sure you don’t get stolen from. Also, once its done please hire me. Thanks! lol

Inana

Bene Gesserit
Reaction score
Reactions
297,088 6,312 1,527
Alleybux
Would this be the first script you've ever written? Something about this co-writing situation tells me it's gonna end in tears. Until you start doing this professionally, I'd recommend writing solo.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,629 13,178 1,857
Alleybux
Okay so I am co writing a screenplay with another person. This particular person has a connection (A list actress). This person is aware I don’t have any connections and offered to collab to help out with that. We both agreed it’s a screenplay we will enter into competitions and it will be passed to the actress.

I guess you could say this is potentially one of my first connections/friends within the industry. It’s not something I take lightly.

Any advice?
Get a signed contract. Have you divided duties? Is she going to outline and you write? Or is she going to shop the script and get writing credit because she's an established star?

Define your relationship now.

geminipie

The Hypnotic Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
177 4 1
Alleybux
So first, congrats on your project! I have a professional writing partnership with 3 other people. And I'm also a writer by myself.

A few things I would discuss...

1.) Just because she has connections with the A-list actress, it doesn't mean as soon as script is completed, it will be sold, optioned to buy, etc. I would discuss what the backup plan is. Do you guys want to try to sell it to someone else? How long will you hold on to the script before shopping it around it to others/
2.) As others have mentioned, a contact is important. If you can get affordable legal advice that would be great. You two should also copyright the project after complete
3.) You'll also want to discuss representation. Know that if you were to enter this in competitions, agents will likely approach you. Are you comfortable to sign with the same agent? Usually if an agent expresses interest in a writing team, they'll want to sign you both.
4.) Which leads me to my next point, are you guys prepared to write again? If an agency does decide to sign you a writing team, they'll want to know what other projects the two of you have lined up.

Hope this helps!

LBLogan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,500 688 213
Alleybux
Find a good attorney who specializes in entertainment and is experienced in representing co-writers. This person should represent you and you interests only (not your co-writer's). Do not sign a contract without your attorney's input, make no further verbal agreements on your own and do not share any work you've completed until all legal roles/expectations are clearly defined.

It may also behoove you to create your own business entity for this venture just to make sure you're not held personally liable for any professional glitches should they occur.